Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

SusieBlue wrote: »
    There are plenty if you are willing to listen, but I’d only be wasting my time as you’d undoubtedly sneer at them or minimise their relevance.
    Repeal won by landslide vote. You are still free to do as you choose.
    People want choice. Respect that.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    I'm not straw manning at all.

You will not give two flying sh*tes about a baby that's nothing to do with you is born, but you suddenly care when it's not born?

It's nothing to do with the unborn. It's all about controlling women and judging them when they make a decision you don't like.

As I've already stated, I believe people should be given the maximum possible freedom and choice to do whatever they want whenever they want, but I don't believe that freedom and choice should be extended to taking another innocent human life, because I've yet to see or find a credible argument that justifies doing so.

Other than name calling and attacking the poster, can anyone here present a credible argument that justifies taking an innocent human life via abortion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nobelium wrote: »
    I'm only interested in the medical fact that the morning after pill is an ECP and not an abortion pill.

I'm just picturing you covering your eyes screaming "la la la la la"

Your own repeatedly stated "logic" means you class the morning after as a means of abortion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Mr.H wrote: »
    What if a woman wanted an abortion at 38 weeks? Should that also be her choice?

I know that question is facetious but it is made to show how not black and white your statement is.

I agree with abortion as a medical option for serious circumstances.

Get over it!

Ok you realise that the woman in this instance was not given a choice yes?

You realise that human error forced her to have an unwanted abortion.

Dont confuse this story with your own opinions.

Hang on what??? No-one FORCED this woman to have an abortion.

It was still a choice. Albeit it was a choice made with incorrect information to hand, it wasn't a FORCED abortion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm just picturing you covering your eyes screaming "la la la la la"

Your own repeatedly stated "logic" means you class the morning after as a means of abortion :pac:

I'm not the one classifying it . . the scientific and medical community classifies the morning after pill as emergency contraception and not an abortion pill.

Other than attempting straw man fallacies, name calling, attacking the poster, can anyone here present a credible argument that justifies taking an innocent human life via abortion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm not the one classifying it . . the scientific and medical community classifies the morning after pill as emergency contraception and not an abortion pill.

Other than attempting straw man fallacies, name calling, attacking the poster, can anyone here present a credible argument that justifies taking an innocent human life via abortion ?

If the mothers life is in danger, if a woman/girl has been raped and is pregnant due to this, if the pregnancy result is a child that will die a painful death within minutes/hours of being born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You don’t agree with abortion so I’m not sure you’re asking for a ‘credible argument’ when it’s quite clear no reason will be good enough for you.

Regardless, no one needs to justify themselves to you, that’s why we had a referendum. The referendum passed.
    Abortion has always been in Ireland and it will continue to be in Ireland, the only difference is that it’s now regulated and with aftercare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nobelium wrote:
    Other than name calling and attacking the poster, can anyone here present a credible argument that justifies taking an innocent human life via abortion ?

Frankly no one needs to justify abortion to you. It's legal and your consent or permission is not required.

Why the hell has this turned into a thread about the rights and wrongs of abortion???

It's over lads, it's legal. Get over it. It's not going to change.

The days of locking women up in homes is long gone thank god and they are NEVER coming back.

Things will only go forwards, never backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Why the hell has this turned into a thread about the rights and wrongs of abortion???

The days of locking women up in homes is long gone thank god and they are NEVER coming back.

Hear hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Defenders of women's health have to stay vigilant, because the forced birthers are like zombies - they just keep coming and coming. It's no surprise this case got the forced birther stirred up, and as is typical, the main protagonists get threadbanned once the lies and invective fly from them too fast. Lies are all they've got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Ah now, all you who are high fiving each other there above, how many of you respected and accepted the legal position two years ago. Does that mean you were all like "zombies" who kept "coming and coming" until you got what you wanted ? it's just life that there will always be differences of opinion where abortion is concerned regardless of the legal position. In fact an individual can (and people do) actually change his/her minds over the course of their lifetime, shocking and all as that may sound to you. Not only that but people on the same side of the argument can also differ on where restrictions should happen. If Abortion was a colour, it would definitely be fifty shades of grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

quelle surprise

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110220779&postcount=1073

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Good lord. It's moving forward, but not in a good way

Ally Dick wrote: »

In your opinion maybe.

What's bad about the way Irish society has changed in the last 40 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

In your opinion maybe.

What's bad about the way Irish society has changed in the last 40 years?

Soaring anti social behavior/crime/murder rate relative to 1979.

Housing/homeless crisis, we had an adequate supply of council owned property in 1979 and the means to build more if needed.

2 incomes required now to buy a house and raise a family relative to 1 back then. As a result we have parents dropping their children to creche at 8am and collecting them at 6pm.

Destruction of the family unit, single parents were rare back then compared to now.

Don't get me wrong a lot has improved since 1979, but to say there's NOTHING worse now than then is naïve.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Soaring anti social behavior/crime/murder rate relative to 1979.

Housing/homeless crisis, we had an adequate supply of council owned property in 1979 and the means to build more if needed.

2 incomes required now to buy a house and raise a family relative to 1 back then.

Destruction of the family unit, single parents were rare back then compared to now.

Don't get me wrong a lot has improved since 1979, but to say there's NOTHING worse now than then is naïve.

Seriously? Were you even alive in the 70's or 80's? Because if you were you would know that things have MASSIVELY improved since then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Ally Dick wrote: »

Has there ever been a study made of the life-outcomes of children raised in mother and baby homes compared to those of single mothers given the key to a council flat and the dole? I'd imagine the result might prove embarrassing to those pushing the myth that getting rid of those awful evil nuns like you see in films meant everyone lived happily ever after under the care of the eternally benevolent and competent state.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

Seriously? Were you even alive in the 70's or 80's? Because if you were you would know that things have MASSIVELY improved since then!

Can you read? I just countered his post that nothing is worse now than 1979. Address 1 single point in my post which is incorrect.

You ever quoted the part of my post where I said a lot has improved. I don't think you read my post at all. Because now you just look silly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ive seen this sort of stuff on Twitter, AFAICT it's basically a slight adaptation from claims about the USA or in some cases the UK (about council housing for instance) but I don't see how it could really be based on Ireland in the 70s.

I was a child in NI in the 70s, and I remember things that I now realize were a sign of the general poverty that many people lived in. I also remember that much of the south appeared even poorer.

Everyone had enough money to live properly in the 70s? What a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Single parents and their children are still a "family unit".

You have some neck implying otherwise.

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    Has there ever been a study made of the life-outcomes of children raised in mother and baby homes compared to those of single mothers given the key to a council flat and the dole? I'd imagine the result might prove embarrassing to those pushing the myth that getting rid of those awful evil nuns like you see in films meant everyone lived happily ever after under the care of the eternally benevolent and competent state.

Bessborough home 472 infant deaths in 19 years. Many of those infants died from malnutrition, and many who survived from there and many other homes have a reduced life expectancy.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/seanad/2019-02-06/15/

The world's most wealthiest religion allowed these are how many other children die from malnutrition, and your coming in with this ****e

Edit: After a little bit of searching, the death rates in these "homes" are reported to have been 5 times higher than the national average for the same period.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

cournioni wrote: »
    ... by killing another body inside of her? Yes it is.

You're a bit of a dickhead. Just so you know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Ah another abortion thread.

There is little chance of coming to an objective agreement on when human life begins, its always going to be subjective and based on your own outlook and ideology.

Its also a waste of time trying to shove down the necks of others when you think life begins.

Back to this case, again, the question is, did 2 doctors sign off on the abortion? It couldn't have gone ahead without their advice and agreement. That is the law. The parents were no doubt in a traumatic situation and depended on medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Ah another abortion thread.

There is little chance of coming to an objective agreement on when human life begins, its always going to be subjective and based on your own outlook and ideology.

Its also a waste of time trying to shove down the necks of others when you think life begins.

Back to this case, again, the question is, did 2 doctors sign off on the abortion? It couldn't have gone ahead without their advice and agreement. That is the law. The parents were no doubt in a traumatic situation and depended on medical advice.

Nah, that’s not really the important question at all.

There’s no issue in law with signing off on a termination on the basis that there’s a 99.9% chance of a FFA.

The only real issue with this case is how that information was explained to the couple - that they were made aware that there was a margin of error in the test, (but they could go ahead with a termination on this result alone, if that’s what they wished), and that there was the possibility of another test that could improve the reliability of the diagnosis.

The rest is just rehashing the abortion debate.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Candamir wrote: »
    Nah, that’s not really the important question at all.

There’s no issue in law with signing off on a termination on the basis that there’s a 99.9% chance of a FFA.

The only real issue with this case is how that information was explained to the couple - that they were made aware that there was a margin of error in the test, (but they could go ahead with a termination on this result alone, if that’s what they wished), and that there was the possibility of another test that could improve the reliability of the diagnosis.

The rest is just rehashing the abortion debate.

I'm not rehashing the abortion debate FFS. I said clearly there's no point rehashing the abortion debate as a 100 previous posters were doing.

Your post is completely contradictory. You say there is no issue in law signing off with 99.9% accuracy and yet you question how the information was explained to the couple and the exclusion of vital information about margin of error.

The takeaway is the particular test is not reliable by itself and the medical professionals should have waited for the 3rd test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

We all usually want doctors to show empathy etc to people in difficult situations but I suspect that compassion for the parents contributed to the end result here where the parents on perhaps incomplete information or not fully understanding were allowed to jump the gun but going forwards where abortion for suspected ffa cases is concerned I think adhering to proper, no nonsense, procedures would serve pregnant parents better.

Step 1 : Test 1 completed & results in & explained - tick
    Step 2 : Test 2 completed & results in & explained - tick
    Step 3 : Test 3 completed & results in & explained - tick
    No more possible tests
    Step 4 : Parental decision based on all previous tests and with extra counselling if they wish.
    Step 5 : Continued care or aftercare
    End of story where hospital is concerned

Do it any other way and all concerned won't be long turning on each other when it all goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

kaymin wrote: »
    My point is that this sentience argument is very flawed / weak. As you admit yourself, you would have no problem killing a newborn if the views of certain scientists about sentience are to be believed. I find this quite disturbing.

The problem is you have not shown it to be weak at all. Even a little. Just that it disturbs you. Which is hardly an argument against it.

But yes I do have the courage of my convictions. I believe only sentient entities are a moral or ethical concern for us. IF it were to be shown new borns lacked that faculty entirely.... I would follow my convictions where that leads.

However the science supporting that position is, as I said, fringe and small. So it is not really my concern at this time.
    kaymin wrote: »
    Despite what you say about our knowledge of the brain, most knowledgeable people admit it is primitive in comparison to the brain's capability. After all, if we knew so much why haven't we come up with cures for Alzheimer’s, vascular dementia, Dewy body dementia, Parkinsonism, epilepsy and other seizure disorders, multiple sclerosis, brain cancers, mood disorders or psychoses.

You are conflating a LOT of things there in ways that are not at all warranted. Firstly although our knowledge is limited that does not mean we do not know a lot. You are pointing to things that we not only do not know but do not NEED to know to make the conclusions I am making on the sentience issue. Your error is akin to telling a plumber he does not know his job if he does not know the chemical make up of water. When in fact the chemical make up of water is irrelevant to the majority of what a plumber actually does.

Further though knowledge and ability are different things. There are many things we understand entirely but still can not "cure". Because knowledge on an issue, even complete knowledge, does not automatically imply we can cure it. Even where our knowledge is not limited, our means can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm very confused by this case.
    Last year I had NIPT done on the advice of my consultant in Holles Street. This consisted of a very detailed scan and bloodtest done at 12 weeks approx. The following week I got a call from my consultant advising there was a high risk result for trisomy 18. High risk for this test is anything over 1%-in my case the risk was classed as 11%. She then advised amniocentesis at 16 weeks, for diagnostic purposes and to reduce the risk of miscarriage. I agreed to proceed and had this testing done, along with another very detailed scan. The initial results tested for t13, t18 and t21. These came back within a week and thankfully all were clear. Then there was a wait of another week for the full set of results for all chromosones and again thankfully this was also clear.
    I can't understand how a decision to terminate was made without waiting for all test results. When I was having all these tests the focus was on getting as much information as possible in order to make an informed decision. CVS can be done earlier but it isn't conclusive, amniocentesis is. There must be a full review of this case but this case should not be used to deny choices to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Absolutely, Savita Halappanavar was one such person of coarse, but I bet the farm you weren't as philosophical about her death at the hands of medical error as you are about this baby's.

Yet the user you replied to clearly said "wrong decisions/wrong scan results/wrong diagnosis" whereas a large part of the issue with Savita was not just decisions that were "wrong" but specifically a decision she is on record as having sought but was denied her in our country at that time.

So I am not sure you win many credibility points from feigning ignorance here.
    Pro-lifers are lunatics? You seriously believe that?

Not what the user said, apologies for the English Lesson here. The user said "the pro-life lunatics". In a venn diagram that is the point where the set "Pro Life" and the set "Lunatics" overlaps.

If I say for example "The Italian Irish are a well integrated community" it would be a nonsense to reply "The Irish are Italians? You seriously believe that?".

Referring to a subset Y of group X is not to say all of X are Y.

But to get back to the actual topic, I think it is only a fringe agenda driven few who are jumping on this. Whether we want to call them lunatics or not. Because a case like this is one we KNEW, always knew, was going to happen.

And guess what, it will happen again. Because people are making the decision to abort based on medical information..... statistically a small number of them WILL get bad information. That is just the nature of medicine. It is a statistical fact that supports NO political agenda here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,016 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Igotadose wrote: »
    Defenders of women's health have to stay vigilant, because the forced birthers are like zombies - they just keep coming and coming.

I'd say in the wake of the Repeal of the 8th, they're more like the Army of the Dead after Arya Stark stabbed the Night King. Bit of twitching maybe, but they were essentially annihilated in one fell swoop.

*apologies if you don't watch Game of Thrones; I couldn't resist the analogy*

Advertisement