Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

maxsmum wrote: »
    I still don't get it.
    It's a bit like saying 'I played a game of Russian Roulette once and came out alive; some American fella came a cropper though, amn't I great'.
    No you're lucky.
    Good mountaineers die because of acclimatisation issues.
    Lucky mountaineers survive

Big whoop..you're lucky.

Yeah, it does seem like pot luck who will be affected by the altitude. Russian roulette is a good way to describe. That might be part of the draw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

When people have spent more time acclimatizing and practicing to be ready I wouldn't really call it luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah, it does seem like pot luck who will be affected by the altitude. Russian roulette is a good way to describe. That might be part of the draw though.

But it doesn't have to be, spend a decade building up to it. Start with something easy and work you way up a little every year. There are 7000/8000m climbs that you can do that are easier to get down from than Everest if you feel ill. If your body just can't deal with the altitude then give up on Everest and enjoy the many other lower summits.

Haven't been following for a while. Do you think this will increase the popularity of the Chinese summit side if it's less packed?

There were reports of crowding on the North side which is unusual but was caused by the weather being awful and then just clearing up near the end of the season.

China is not that desperate for money, I don't think they will sell extra permits.
    I've not looked at the stats closely but there were a number of deaths on the north even though there were much fewer permits. So statistically the south may still be the safest option.

Everest has been in the news more this year so I expect extra applications for permits next year, we will see who the Nepalese government decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I doubt many are climbing it for views or bragging rights.

The majority are only climbing it for bragging rights. There are much better mountains, with better routes up them. But they aren't the highest mountain in the world.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    The majority are only climbing it for bragging rights. There are much better mountains, with better routes up them. But they aren't the highest mountain in the world.

Yeah the name that keeps coming up here is Shriya Shah-Klorfine. A woman who didn't even like walking who made the summit but lost her life.
    She lived in Canada, if she actually liked mountaineering she was spoiled for choice but all she wanted was the fame of an Everest summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I doubt she represents everyone, If you love mountain climbing surely the tallest mountain is a big draw.

When people have spent more time acclimatizing and practicing to be ready I wouldn't really call it luck
    tuxy wrote: »
    But it doesn't have to be, spend a decade building up to it. Start with something easy and work you way up a little every year. There are 7000/8000m climbs that you can do that are easier to get down from than Everest if you feel ill. If your body just can't deal with the altitude then give up on Everest and enjoy the many other lower summits.

Some of the people affected have done the requisite preparations. There absolutely is an unpredictable side to it. Very experienced climbers, with years of high-altitude experience, have died on the upper sections of Everest and other mountains because of issues with the oxygen-thin air where less experienced people make the round-trip.

Sherpas comprise a third of all Everest deaths. Some of those are because of avalanches and whatnot but some are caused by the thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

If they need extra oxygen to climb that's nature's way of saying don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

vriesmays wrote: »
    If they need extra oxygen to climb that's nature's way of saying don't.

And how do you feel about antibiotics for treating infections ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

If they need antibiotics to climb that's nature's way of saying don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I doubt she represents everyone, If you love mountain climbing surely the tallest mountain is a big draw.

If you love mountain climbing surely a mountain doesn't have to be the biggest or highest ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The thing that gets me, that makes me think the climb isn’t worth it is that from the summit, you’re simply looking down on other mountains. As a child, in my mind’s eye, I imagined that you’d be looking down at sea level from the peak.
    Its a fair point. Croagh Patrick, of a summer's evening, has one of the best views you're ever likely to see. And it won't kill you getting there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

recedite wrote: »
    Its a fair point. Croagh Patrick, of a summer's evening, has one of the best views you're ever likely to see. And it won't kill you getting there.

It isn't really, even for a non challenging climb the view from the top of croagh patrick is nothing special... our illusion/delusion of ourselves as having these breathtaking views everywhere, sights, sounds and being the most wonderful people on the planet is fairly annoying. a hell of a lot of people in the world have never even heard of Ireland let alone where it is.

by the way and not to be too pedantic, I seem to recall several deaths of elderly pilgrims being in the news over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There is way too many oldies heading up everest, you'd want to tackle it before 40 I would say. It is something I gave serious thought to around 3 years ago at the peak of my own physical fitness, however it is just too expensive, I do plan to trek to basecamp however and leave it at that. I know a guy who was there during the Earthquake in 2015 at the lower reaches near Lukhla, broke his leg during the earthquake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I don't really care whether people abroad know where Ireland is or not.
    The reason that view is special, if you are there at the right time, is because you are on a great height relative to the Atlantic ocean, you can see all the islands of Clew Bay, the fantastic sunset, the dappled light on the sea bouncing off the green fields of the coast and the mountain heather.
    But when climbing in a snowy landscape everything is a monochrome, except for the garish outfits of other climbers.
    But anyway, each to his own.

It isn't really, even for a non challenging climb the view from the top of croagh patrick is nothing special... our illusion/delusion of ourselves as having these breathtaking views everywhere, sights, sounds and being the most wonderful people on the planet is fairly annoying. a hell of a lot of people in the world have never even heard of Ireland let alone where it is.

by the way and not to be too pedantic, I seem to recall several deaths of elderly pilgrims being in the news over the years.

I love the view from Croagh Patrick, looking down on the flooded drumlins of Clew Bay. No idea if it’s the best view in the world. But climbing a higher peak doesn’t intrinsically mean a better view. It depends on the landscape around it. We take for granted the greenery. Someone who is used to snow-capped peaks might find it new and beautiful.

And who said anything particularly gushing about Ireland here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Yup beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I'd respectfully disagree. It's a beautiful view on a clear day. Sure It might not be the best in the world or anything but that doesn't take away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

This constant whinging from armchair commentators complaining about people climbing Everest is becoming annoying. If people don't understand why climbing to the highest point on our planet is such a goal, fair enough, but they should stop being so judgemental. The desire to push ourselves further and to take risks is ingrained in our DNA. Those same genes in their ancestors resulted in them having a cosy life today.

I, personally wouldn't attempt to summit Everest, but I totally get why someone would want to. To push yourself further. Challenge yourself. Achieve something in this short window of life that so few others have achieved. If humans didn't have this drive, we'd all still be living in caves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The best views are looking up I think not down.
    I have great views of the knockmeal downs and Galtees from my garden, after 35 years it still takes my breath away of a fine evening

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That would be Mauna Kea at 10,203 m

You can drive most of the way to the top. Starting from the very bottom is a tad more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

tuxy wrote: »
    Yeah the name that keeps coming up here is Shriya Shah-Klorfine. A woman who didn't even like walking who made the summit but lost her life.
    She lived in Canada, if she actually liked mountaineering she was spoiled for choice but all she wanted was the fame of an Everest summit.

She was also originally from Nepal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

gozunda wrote: »
    She was also originally from Nepal...

Yeah, she had Sherpa genes which improved her blood oxygen carrying levels. Still not enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,253 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sherpa's die on Everest too.

Dante7 wrote: »
    This constant whinging from armchair commentators complaining about people climbing Everest is becoming annoying. If people don't understand why climbing to the highest point on our planet is such a goal, fair enough, but they should stop being so judgemental. The desire to push ourselves further and to take risks is ingrained in our DNA. Those same genes in their ancestors resulted in them having a cosy life today.

I, personally wouldn't attempt to summit Everest, but I totally get why someone would want to. To push yourself further. Challenge yourself. Achieve something in this short window of life that so few others have achieved. If humans didn't have this drive, we'd all still be living in caves.

This is just as judgemental. You have no idea what anyone here has achieved. I think it’s bloody great that the problems that come with climbing Everest are entering mainstream consciousness. There are a lot of headlines about it because the Everest season is just ending and it has been a bad year on the mountain, fatalities-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

To push yourself further. Challenge yourself. Achieve something in this short window of life that so few others have achieved.

Except a lot of it is BS. It's just extreme tourism. Why bother queuing when there's much more rewarding and enjoyable challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yeah, she had Sherpa genes which improved her blood oxygen carrying levels. Still not enough though.

Btw that comment had nothing to do with sherpa 'genes' or otherwise. It had to do with the previous posts speculation as to the climbers motivation for wanting to climb Mount Everest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Above is all well and good but if your goals/life time ambitions etc exploit others in the process (ie the sherpas) and endanger other people’s lives (sherpas and other climbers) then surely it would make you think twice about doing what you are doing......?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Its the worst kind of tourism, flyng around the world to exploit / endanger others and leave pollution (human waste and other materials) on the mountain, including sometimes dead bodies.

Advertisement