Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Effects wrote: »
    But should you expect everyone else to wait for you to go to the toilet?
    It shouldn't be them that has to unclip to go around you.

Afaik climbers can use a system with two clips- so that its possible to unclip and then reclip one beyond/behind the person passing you - and only then unclip the other. Not sure if all climbers use this system tbh. It simply ensures that there should be at least one safety line attached at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

ah man that video is depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'd sooner wee myself than unclip

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

IvoryTower wrote: »

Could you be bothered really ? Its like being in a supermarket queue at Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Guy unclips himself so he can take depressing video on Everest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

The rope and ladder looks like a rudimentary conveyor system .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Shows the strength of the delusion considering the numbers who died this year.

I read some summiteers from recent years making the point that the death rate has fallen and Everest in the 21st century is statistically safer to climb now than in the past, if you work out amount of deaths to amount of successful round trips. Even this year, with all the deaths, as a percentage of the successful attempts, the death rate is low. If there are 500 or so people attempting it this year, it’s about 2%.

I’m not sure how I feel about that. A lot of it seems like luck. I was really shocked at how precarious the Khumbu icefall section seems. Ladders that don’t seem all that steady and that’s before you consider that huge lumps of ice can break off any part of the icefall at any time. That’s where many Sherpas were killed in 2014. It seems like a part that is very vulnerable to disaster and I can’t believe how many people trudge through it every year, many not that experienced.

I think the statistics won’t remain so favourable if the numbers continue to increase. There are so many variables and it’s easy to see many people being wiped out in one go.
    Yurt! wrote: »
    It actually occurred to me how people climbing at crazy altitudes go to the toilet. Having taken Diamox before, it makes one p*ss like crazy, and these climbers would probably be taking quite a high dose of it.

I read about one climber who said he loaded up on Immodium before the summit climb so that he wouldn’t need to drop one whilst, ahem, pushing for the summit.
    tuxy wrote: »
    Having taken part in some endurance sports people tend to take a piss just about anywhere, it's up to other people to look away if they don't want to see it. You would think it would be the same on Everest, I can't imagine a man uncliping for that.
    As for No.2, then yes people may try to get some privacy. Diarrhoea is a side effect of Diamox.

Well, the low oxygen atmosphere can seemingly affect decision-making. The brain can be the worst hit because it needs a lot of oxygen to function.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Does anyone know what part of the mountain that is in the video? Is that past camp 4 to summit or lower down?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Permits only netted the government approx $4 million dollars this year, do they also get a cut from the companies? Record number of 381 issued, this lady speaks sense. I wonder if they did bring in a minimum standard say of at least 1 x 8,000 climb and xy experience would it reduce the number greatly
    https://thehimalayantimes.com/kathmandu/mount-everest-traffic-jam-survivor-calls-for-tougher-rules/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭josip

pc7 wrote: »
    Permits only netted the government approx $4 million dollars this year, do they also get a cut from the companies? Record number of 381 issued, this lady speaks sense. I wonder if they did bring in a minimum standard say of at least 1 x 8,000 climb and xy experience would it reduce the number greatly
    https://thehimalayantimes.com/kathmandu/mount-everest-traffic-jam-survivor-calls-for-tougher-rules/

The permits themselves don't bring in a massive amount of money but all the ancillary services and local employment do.
    Plus, keeping Everest in the news is free marketing for the Khumbu region guaranteeing a healthy stream of trekkers who use the hotel/transport infrastructure for the remainder of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

4m is a huge amount in Nepal. It's one of the poorest countries on Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ah, mountain fodder complaining about all the other mountain fodder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why would anyone climb over five miles just to queue for their death?

The thing that gets me, that makes me think the climb isn’t worth it is that from the summit, you’re simply looking down on other mountains. As a child, in my mind’s eye, I imagined that you’d be looking down at sea level from the peak. That was the simplistic thinking of a kid. But surely up there, the visuals don’t give you a sense of how high you are? You’re looking at high ground from high ground and you can’t even dilly dally once you are up there. The only thing that would make me want to stand on top of the world is if you could view sea level or close to sea level landscapes from there but that’s not possible obviously. It seems like other peaks give views as good as Everest but without the risks of the death zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭granturismo

If this RTE article is correct, 6% of those who reach the summit die on the descent.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2019/0528/1052164-footage-mount-everest/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

i-like-those-odds-31424992.png

The thing that gets me, that makes me think the climb isn’t worth it is that from the summit,

I 'think' most do it to say they've been on top of the world more than the views.

If it wasn't for the queues I kinda get it. It's their hobby, they love it, they know it's dangerous, it's a test of their strength etc , I'm sure there are loads of other reasons. But if you wouldn't have a hope without a Sherpa you probably shouldn't be there, that said even with them it looks really really hard.

Going up in your 60's seems pretty ridiculous, even 50's

I 'think' most do it to say they've been on top of the world more than the views.

Yeah, that’s it. I guess that’s where my thinking diverges from those who want to summit Everest. For me, I’d only do it for a completely unique view. Beck Weathers put it very well, saying something like “After Hillary and Norgay, nobody else matters”. The bragging rights angle, I just don’t get. Especially people concocting convoluted “firsts”. First Irish person to summit? Oh wait, that’s gone? Okay, first Irish person with green eyes to summit then. That’s gone too? Alright, first left-handed, green-eyed Irish person to summit. I’m exaggerating, of course, but some of the “firsts” are so meaningless and uninteresting. Most of them are, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

How many sports would be banned if 1 in 50 people taking part died? And in some years it's as high as 2 in 50.

Or take K2 where the odds are much much worse - 1 in every 4 people die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If this RTE article is correct, 6% of those who reach the summit die on the descent.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2019/0528/1052164-footage-mount-everest/

The death toll accounts for both people on the way up and down. The figures go back to the 1920's and while more people die each year in recent times the percentage of people who die is lower. Also it does not account for people who attempted it, got close but never made the summit.
    The % of people who die for attempted summits is will under 1%

If it wasn't for the queues I kinda get it. It's their hobby, they love it, they know it's dangerous, it's a test of their strength etc , I'm sure there are loads of other reasons. But if you wouldn't have a hope without a Sherpa you probably shouldn't be there, that said even with them it looks really really hard.

Going up in your 60's seems pretty ridiculous, even 50's

I think help of the Sherpa is excessive for many people but remember Hillary and Norgay would not have made it without the massive team they has.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I still don't get it.
    It's a bit like saying 'I played a game of Russian Roulette once and came out alive; some American fella came a cropper though, amn't I great'.
    No you're lucky.
    Good mountaineers die because of acclimatisation issues.
    Lucky mountaineers survive

Big whoop..you're lucky.

tuxy wrote: »
    I think help of the Sherpa is excessive for many people but remember Hillary and Norgay would not have made it without the massive team they has.

I wasn't aware of that, I guess only the very best can do it without them

I doubt many are climbing it for views or bragging rights, I imagine if they were surveyed most would be doing it for their love of climbing or some ****

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

greenspurs wrote: »
    Looks like great fun ! :eek:

Passing dead bodies dangling off the sides

I wasn't aware of that, I guess only the very best can do it without them

I doubt many are climbing it for views or bragging rights, I imagine if they were surveyed most would be doing it for their love of climbing or some ****

1952 was the first year an international team were given permission to attempt it from the south side. A group of Swiss alpine climbers and a few locals were on the team. They made great progress and made the south col before weather forced them to turn around.

In 1953 it was the Brittish that got the chance, again a mix of alpine climbers and some locals. Tenzing Norgay who was actually on the Swiss team was recruited again for the Brittish team. His knowledge from the previous year was invaluable.

Both times they had to figure it out and lay their own ropes and ladders for the most part. Also the equipment would be very low quality compared to today, especially the supplementary oxygen systems.
    Today all the ropes and ladders are in place and the larger expeditions teams will send experienced people out first to replace anything before the tourists start arriving.

The challenge now is to do it with no supplementary oxygen, that requires very long training times at altitude and good genetics.
    I believe two men did it without extra oxygen this year.

Haven't been following for a while. Do you think this will increase the popularity of the Chinese summit side if it's less packed?

• Advertisement

Thanks Tuxy

I'm sure it's still incredibly challenging even with all the help you can get.

Advertisement