Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

paw patrol wrote: »
    I never really cared for Everest but this thread with the 1st hand stories and linked posted has had me riveted for a few days.

It’s been a great thread but has copper-fastened my bemusement over why anyone would bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Here's a good chat with Fergus White, with photos, explaining the South route.

https://youtu.be/oLF5vw0gcNM

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

On the other climber who died today.

American climber dies on descent from summit of Mount Everest

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/27/american-climber-dies-on-descent-from-summit-of-mount-everest

In associated news Shay Lawless’s memorial mass was held today at the Holy Redeemer Church in Bray, Co Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

gozunda wrote: »
    Looks like another climber has died.

American climber dies on descent from summit of Mount Everest

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/27/american-climber-dies-on-descent-from-summit-of-mount-everest

That picture? WTF? Can't be real, crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

tuxy wrote: »

The very one I was on about earlier, looks like Aldi with one till open!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Shows you how dangerous mountain climbing can be at times

Noveight wrote: »
    The very one I was on about earlier, looks like Aldi with one till open!

You should post it, it's been 10 minutes since I've seen that pic!

Ok. It wasn't funny the first time tbh. The link relates to today's death. Just ignore the photo - it's all over the place and hard to avoid at this stage.

Ok. It wasn't funny the first time tbh. The link relates to today's death. Just ignore the photo - it's all over the place and hard to avoid at this stage.

Did two Americans die today?
    Another death today on the South Col. An American collapsed suddenly on the descent.

• Advertisement

Any info on Kevin Hynes? Was his body recovered ok and will it be going to London or Ireland?

Did two Americans die today?

No. Full details only released later. The above comment includes link .

Also:

Story on the first African Woman - Saray Khumalo who successfully summited Everest.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-05-27-nothing-is-impossible-saray-khumalo-on-conquering-mt-everest/

She was accompanied by N. Irish man Noel Hanna - talks about Seamus Lawless who was part of his group in this interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

For this journey, she was raising money for orphans
    Seems to be a recurring theme among Everest climbers, the charity angle. Hopefully there will be a few pennies left over for the orphans.

And in the same interview, we finally discover why Seamus Lawless unclipped himself from both of his safety lines. Kind of bizarre, but at the same time very believable. I mean, when you gotta take a leak, what else are you going to do? Nobody wants to see a patch of yellow snow in the middle of the path.

recedite wrote: »

And in the same interview, we finally discover why Seamus Lawless unclipped himself from both of his safety lines. Kind of bizarre, but at the same time very believable. I mean, when you gotta take a leak, what else are you going to do? Nobody wants to see a patch of yellow snow in the middle of the path.

Other reports say he also had altitude sickness and that must have been a factor in any poor decision. So he was the strongest new climber on the day but also had altitude sickness. The guides and sherpa don't have an easy job. Hanna makes a fair point when he says sherpas should put their lives first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,253 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This video gives you an idea of just how dangerous the act of coming down from the summit can be:

You can see how 4 Sherpa's couldn't get a frail man down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It actually occurred to me how people climbing at crazy altitudes go to the toilet. Having taken Diamox before, it makes one p*ss like crazy, and these climbers would probably be taking quite a high dose of it.

Having taken part in some endurance sports people tend to take a piss just about anywhere, it's up to other people to look away if they don't want to see it. You would think it would be the same on Everest, I can't imagine a man uncliping for that.
    As for No.2, then yes people may try to get some privacy. Diarrhoea is a side effect of Diamox.

Seems to be a recurring theme among Everest climbers, the charity angle. Hopefully there will be a few pennies left over for the orphans.

From the article - it would also appear he was only about 200m from camp 4 on the descent when he unclipped....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

No. Full details only released later. The above comment includes link .

Also:

Story on the first African Woman - Saray Khumalo who successfully summited Everest.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-05-27-nothing-is-impossible-saray-khumalo-on-conquering-mt-everest/

She was accompanied by N. Irish man Noel Hanna - talks about Seamus Lawless who was part of his group in this interview
    Nothing is impossible

Shows the strength of the delusion considering the numbers who died this year.

Wasn't specified as a leak. Wouldn't you just go in that case without any un-hooking? A bigger job I would say. Pretty unfortunate and a little ignominious to be blown off Everest when you're taking a dump.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

God, that's dreadful. She would have been better keeping that to herself really.

Pissartist wrote: »
    Live by the sword, die by the sword.
    Indeed Pissartist, most of us can only dream of having such an artful death.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    God, that's dreadful. She would have been better keeping that to herself really.

I found her comments about god strange. As if God let her live but judged others more harshly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I found her comments about god strange. As if God let her live but judged others more harshly.....

Not to get into an atheist vs religious argument but isn't that typical of "God was looking out for me" sentiments? As in "God loves me so much that he spared me some <minor inconvenience>, let's not talk about all those children he lets die awful deaths every day".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The queues on Everest are like the queues you'd see at the Eiffel Tour or to see the Book of Kells in Trinity.

Everest seems to be little more than a tourist attraction at this stage.

Social media and the need to have ever more interesting or exciting photos on your Instragram or Facebook page may be driving the popularity of Everest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You would think it would be the same on Everest, I can't imagine a man uncliping for that.

But should you expect everyone else to wait for you to go to the toilet?
    It shouldn't be them that has to unclip to go around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Fotish

Noveight wrote: »
    Anyone else seen the photos of people queuing up on the summit of Everest? Look up “Everest traffic 2019” or similar, I’m on the phone so can’t be bothered linking but it has been making headlines.

Crazy how accessible it seems to have become.

Maybe not that accessible ! ,quote below from Hanna ....

Hanna said that some climbers rely too much on the Sherpas. "If something happens to your Sherpa and the Sherpa gets sick, does that mean you can sit on the on top and die? The Sherpas are only human. If their lives are at risk, they're gonna leave you."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Watching "Dying for Everest" on youtube now and will watch the Everest movie later, I might be ready to let this little obsession go then

• Advertisement

In fairness, who hasn't peed off the balcony at some stage of their lives? (usually after a few beers though)
    I'll never be able to do it again without thinking of that poor fecker.

Advertisement