Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Super Showdown (Saudi Show) - Spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

jesus that taker goldberg match was terrible. winced a few times with all the botched moves. so dangerous. and what was with that finish??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TimesArrow wrote:
    jesus that taker goldberg match was terrible. winced a few times with all the botched moves. so dangerous. and what was with that finish??

The finish was a take it home early one. Taker couldn't tombstone or powerbomb him as he hadn't the strength to & Goldberg was out of it.
    Goldberg on about fans enjoying his failings is failing to acknowledge that for some unknown reason he headbutt's a door pretty hard to psyche himself up (guess the Saudi money can't do that). Also having a match in the Middle East when you already drip sweat cutting a promo & blow up very fast ain't clever. If they threw them in opposite teams of a tag match with opponents who could essentially work the match for them & bump for them it would have helped no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ERG89 wrote: »
    If they threw them in opposite teams of a tag match with opponents who could essentially work the match for them & bump for them it would have helped no end.

Hogan and Flair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The finish was a take it home early one. Taker couldn't tombstone or powerbomb him as he hadn't the strength to & Goldberg was out of it.
    Goldberg on about fans enjoying his failings is failing to acknowledge that for some unknown reason he headbutt's a door pretty hard to psyche himself up (guess the Saudi money can't do that). Also having a match in the Middle East when you already drip sweat cutting a promo & blow up very fast ain't clever. If they threw them in opposite teams of a tag match with opponents who could essentially work the match for them & bump for them it would have helped no end.

Or just don't have either of them ever wrestle again because it is terrible and embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote:
    Hogan and Flair?

Their bodies haven't degenerated as much as those 2 had.
    Goldberg was able to spear & Jackhammer Brock Lesnar to the point fans bought it. Taker I wouldn't let him do a tombstone as I imagine his knees are shot so when he drops on them he's gonna feel that.
    Plenty guys.on the roster can take a chokeslam & do a last ride from a mounted punch in a turnbuckle.
    lawlolawl wrote:
    Or just don't have either of them ever wrestle again because it is terrible and embarrassing.

Yeah I agree but it's the Saudi's wanting this not me; I was one of the louder critics on here last night. Taker has now passed the threshold (for me) of his reputation being tainted as he's had a LOT of stinkers the last few years.

I'm looking at it from a perspective of how I'd book it if I were forced to.
    In terms of bumping these guys are way too old to be taking moves & having a back and forth match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Goldberg really seems to get wound up by what I would call perceived slights.

I wouldn't say I got satisfaction from what happened but there's this idea that things will always work out - it clearly blew up in Vince's face here however so hopefully he'll be reflecting on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Goldberg really seems to get wound up by what I would call perceived slights.

I wouldn't say I got satisfaction from what happened but there's this idea that things will always work out - it clearly blew up in Vince's face here however so hopefully he'll be reflecting on this.

"It's good shít."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

*zips in for a quick read of the Saudi event*

Yep, still on my wrestling sabbatical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Who is Matt Riddle to have a go? He's a nobody. Yes, Taker vs Goldberg turned into a mess, but I've talked to many lapsed fans this week and they were curious about the Taker vs Goldberg match and were interested in seeing it. Just look at the WWE YouTube page, the first minute of the match is up, where Goldberg hits the two spears, it's already on 1.7 million views.

Matt Riddle? Please. He should change his name to Tom Riddle and let us all resolve to never speak his name aloud.

• Advertisement

sirmanga wrote: »
    Who is Matt Riddle to have a go? He's a nobody. Yes, Taker vs Goldberg turned into a mess, but I've talked to many lapsed fans this week and they were curious about the Taker vs Goldberg match and were interested in seeing it. Just look at the WWE YouTube page, the first minute of the match is up, where Goldberg hits the two spears, it's already on 1.7 million views.

Matt Riddle? Please. He should change his name to Tom Riddle and let us all resolve to never speak his name aloud.

So he should "pay his dues" and wait until he is also a broken down old man shambling around the ring for Saudi blood-money before he is allowed to comment?

Also, i'm willing to bet that a lot of those Youtube views were morbid curiosity after people heard how dire the match was.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At what point did he knock himself out?

I'm curious with regard the women. Like they clearly know who all the wrestlers are, so I assume they see the shows. Do they not include the women's matches when showing it, or is it just they're not allowed to perform on Saudi soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

None he can do now by all accounts

I agree that jackha.mer looked awful.

You know the matches are 100% scripted now?
    The "sports entertainment stars " are told what to do from start to finish, no improvising.

https://youtu.be/gsIEQIj-Mp8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

lawlolawl wrote: »
    So he should "pay his dues" and wait until he is also a broken down old man shambling around the ring for Saudi blood-money before he is allowed to comment?

Also, i'm willing to bet that a lot of those Youtube views were morbid curiosity after people heard how dire the match was.

No, he should just show some respect. The Undertaker vs Goldberg match made more people want to watch than any match Matt Riddle will ever have in his entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dexter2019 wrote: »
    You know the matches are 100% scripted now?
    The "sports entertainment stars " are told what to do from start to finish, no improvising.

https://youtu.be/gsIEQIj-Mp8

What?, are you saying wrestling is not real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

What?, are you saying wrestling is not real?

Funny.....hehe hehe hehe hehe hehe.
    What I'm saying is that the matches themselves are no longer controlled by the wrestlers in the ring.
    There was a time where the outcome was decided and the 2 guys in the ring would work out how to get to that outcome using their own creativity.
    Now the entire match is scripted from start to finish.

So if Bill Goldberg is told to go in and do a spear and a Jack hammer, thats what hes going to do.
    He had the ability do to much more as seen in some of his WCW matches, yes I agree he is now well past it and cant do a whole lot.

Funny.....hehe hehe hehe hehe hehe.
    What I'm saying is that the matches themselves are no longer controlled by the wrestlers in the ring.
    There was a time where the outcome was decided and the 2 guys in the ring would work out how to get to that outcome using their own creativity.
    Now the entire match is scripted from start to finish.

So if Bill Goldberg is told to go in and do a spear and a Jack hammer, thats what hes going to do.
    He had the ability do to much more as seen in some of his WCW matches, yes I agree he is now well past it and cant do a whole lot.

That's exactly what's wrong with current day WWE.

You have a bunch of 50+ year old has-beens being told exactly how to work a match by an out of touch 73 year old egomaniac and it is supposed to be the pinnacle of pro-wrestling even though there are other companies putting on much better shows.

WWE is going the way of latter day WCW but they are actually much scummier because of the Saudi blood-money and utter disdain for their own employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

They're a million miles away from the final days of WCW.

The money coming in is at an all-time high. Ratings are low, but they're not what's important any more.

If you're waiting for AEW or some other organisation to knock WWE off their perch, you'll be waiting. And waiting. And waiting some more.

The money coming in is at an all-time high. Ratings are low, but they're not what's important any more.

Well their main source of income is from television if they stay losing viewers the TV money will eventually decrease. They have to try get back viewers in the next few years that should be their most important goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

yes I agree he is now well past it and cant do a whole lot.

Which was my point, i said Bill Goldberg now has only 2 moves in reply to a post about what moves Undertaker could take, you quoted that post saying he has lots more, and now linked a video of his moves from 20 years ago, that Goldberg is gone, he's over 50 years of age, his opponent is also over 50 years of age, physically they cant do what they used to be able to do and is why im also pretty sure those 2 guys had a lot more input into the match then you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

lawlolawl wrote: »
    WWE is going the way of latter day WCW but they are actually much scummier because of the Saudi blood-money and utter disdain for their own employees.

In fairness, WCW took North Korea money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Well their main source of income is from television if they stay losing viewers the TV money will eventually decrease. They have to try get back viewers in the next few years that should be their most important goal.

Haven't the TV ratings been on a steady decline for the last 20 years?

Yet they just signed their biggest TV deal ever. And the one before that was bigger again.

Live TV is where it's at. WWE are in a position of being able to offer 5 hours of live entertainment (cough) variety shows every week. Networks will eat that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They're a million miles away from the final days of WCW.

If you're waiting for AEW or some other organisation to knock WWE off their perch, you'll be waiting. And waiting. And waiting some more.

Now, now, let's not bring common sense into this.

The company that presents a guy with no legs as a legitimate contender for its top title, has a guy who smothers himself in baby oil to get out of holds, has another guy who fights with his hands in his pockets, is definitely on the cusp of taking over the mainstream. This is what the masses are desperate for, apparently.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

This is what the masses are desperate for, apparently.

Yeah it makes far more sense to use the genuine stars they have like in the main event with Goldberg and Taker

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

lawlolawl wrote:

Jeez dude we get it,

WWE = evil incarnate
    AEW = the saviours of pro wrestling

Let's see what the latters TV product is like before we start prematurely ejaculating about it though yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/SmoHawk/status/1137712338663018496

Wonder will Matt Riddle be having any digs at Ibushi for this? Suspect not since he's not the easy target Goldberg was.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

https://twitter.com/SmoHawk/status/1137712338663018496

Wonder will Matt Riddle be having any digs at Ibushi for this? Suspect not since he's not the easy target Goldberg was.

Ibushi probably asked Naito to drop him on his neck.

Ole' Bill took a bad bump because him and Mean Mark are ancient and can't go any more.

• Advertisement

I read loads of people on Reddit gushing about Ibushi and all those crazy neck bumps he takes and I just roll my eyes. The move above isn't cool, it's fúcking stupid.

Advertisement