Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 thread - V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

TCP/IP wrote: »
    For the love of good don't purchase this car are you insane. Clearly from what you are saying you can't afford the car, keep your money in savings or invest it and make the money work for you and your family if you have one. Don't buy a depreciating asset just for the sake of it crazy financial decision. If you are as you say a wage slave this you cant afford if you are desperate for an electric car buy a second-hand EV like a leaf.

Lads, this is not the "I am considering buying a Model 3, please try talk me out of it"

Absolutely buy the car, and enjoy the hell out of it. You clearly want it if u have had the discipline to save for 3 years. If the repayments on the loan are less than u we're saving monthly...buy and be happy. Every "want" or emotional purchase could be called a crazy financial decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If someone can afford to save for it and the further repayments, I don't think the self appointed gatekeepers should be talking down to him and calling him crazy and basically telling him he only deserves an old Leaf. Plenty of wage slaves buy new cars, or do you think the entire stock of new cars go to company directors?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

jusmeig wrote: »
    Lads, this is not the "I am considering buying a Model 3, please try talk me out of it"

Absolutely buy the car, and enjoy the hell out of it. You clearly want it if u have had the discipline to save for 3 years. If the repayments on the loan are less than u we're saving monthly...buy and be happy. Every "want" or emotional purchase could be called a crazy financial decision.

No. If you can't pay cash for this car, and easily afford it at that, you shouldn't be buying this. If a company is buying it, go for it.
    Never spend more than this much of your income on a car,’ says millionaire finance expert
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/04/follow-this-simple-rule-for-car-buying-if-you-want-to-get-rich-says-millionaire-money-expert.html?&qsearchterm=spend%20on%20care

If you enjoy a bit of performance in a car, then you must currently be driving a petrol ICE, right? You know; you can afford the government performance taxes, so you have been paying those for years and having more fun than driving a diesel barge, because you can afford to. right? If that's you, then perhaps you can actually afford it so why not. If you have been driving a diesel for years because of the 'cheaper' motoring, then a Tesla is a pretty silly purchase - oh sorry, you're borrowing, of course, so not really a purchase, and considerably more expensive than the sticker price, by the time you have 'purchased' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I'm a long time lurker here, and a devout petrolhead, but cars like the Model 3 & incoming ID.3 really fascinate me. I don't see them as a 'threat' to the petrol powered performance cars like others do, but rather as interesting daily alternatives which can leave the ICE car for the weekends and track days and keep them feeling special.

Anyways, seen a couple of Model 3s recently and they're a really striking looking car, especially in the right colour and wheel combination. Well wear to all the new owners!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

For the love of good don't purchase this car are you insane. Clearly from what you are saying you can't afford the car, keep your money in savings or invest it and make the money work for you and your family if you have one. Don't buy a depreciating asset just for the sake of it crazy financial decision. If you are as you say a wage slave this you cant afford if you are desperate for an electric car buy a second-hand EV like a leaf.

Agreed, privately 30k incl Vrt gets you lovely 2 yr old maybe a 3gt or disco sport or something. Model 3 really if you can afford a 50k car. Don’t get it for the “savings” unless you live in Norway for 37k where it’s a no brainier.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

The point of my post was to make the OP seriously think about his purchase. Comments like your making the world a better place and investing in an EV company are completely off point when a person’s financial wellbeing is at the case here. I could not care if he buys it that’s his business but I would not like someone make a silly decision that’s all and simply said think long and hard before you do.

Comments like you could be dead so do it are completely juvenile and make no sense at all you do realise that if you die what you owe is not simply written off and comes from your estate and that includes your family home potentially been sold to cover debts over a bloody car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Chaz76

cnocbui wrote: »
    No. If you can't pay cash for this car, and easily afford it at that, you shouldn't be buying this. If a company is buying it, go for it.

I don't prescribe to this logic as everyone's financial situation and how they choose to manage theirs is unique. As the owner of several other cars including a new Porsche 718 GTS I'll be part financing my M3P purely for the reason that, even though I could readily afford to buy it out right, I don't see it making much sense tying up over 200 grand in two cars. I have a 182 Golf R as well I'll be getting rid of for the Tesla and hopefully the equity I have after repaying the PCP will more than cancel out the cost of finance of the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Thank you for your unsolicited advice- which to be honest was based upon incomplete information.
    I currently drive an EV, but need longer range-
    I am not just buying a car- I am buying a computer on wheels- can Greta afford to take every Friday off school- I doubt it? Can I afford the Tesla ? Just about-

mouthful wrote: »
    Thank you for your unsolicited advice- which to be honest was based upon incomplete information.
    I currently drive an EV, but need longer range-
    I am not just buying a car- I am buying a computer on wheels- can Greta afford to take every Friday off school- I doubt it? Can I afford the Tesla ? Just about-

Yes your buying a car nothing else and good luck with it. What does a school child have to do with it. All I am saying is get some financial advice that’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I'm a long time lurker here, and a devout petrolhead, but cars like the Model 3 & incoming ID.3 really fascinate me. I don't see them as a 'threat' to the petrol powered performance cars like others do, but rather as interesting daily alternatives which can leave the ICE car for the weekends and track days and keep them feeling special.

Anyways, seen a couple of Model 3s recently and they're a really striking looking car, especially in the right colour and wheel combination. Well wear to all the new owners!

I really can't see many Model 3 owners wanting to drive an ICE car at the weekend when they can drive their Model 3 instead, where they like, not just commuting.

• Advertisement

Yes your buying a car nothing else and good luck with it. What does a school child have to do with it. All I am saying is get some financial advice that’s all.

There is a subtle difference is asking someone if they are insane- and suggesting they secure financial advice before buying a product

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I really can't see many Model 3 owners wanting to drive an ICE car at the weekend when they can drive their Model 3 instead, where they like, not just commuting.

I disagree I know two people that are purchasing Model 3 and keep their performance ICE cars as track or weekend cars. I am also humming over the idea of a M3P as a runaround for the weekdays and also to keep mileage down on my current car and future ICE sports cars.

A M3P is a perfect car for that I think. I took one out last week for a test drive and it completely reinforces my thoughts it is the perfect weekday car for me especially in Winter months with the four wheel drive.

There is a subtle difference is asking someone if they are insane- and suggesting they secure financial advice before buying a product

Well if it makes you think twice it’s a good thing.
    It’s the last I will say on it. If you go ahead good luck with your car I know you will love it.

Well if it makes you think twice it’s a good thing.
    It’s the last I will say on it. If you go ahead good luck with your car I know you will love it.

If I am ever badly stuck for someone to insult my intelligence or give advice without any of the real details- please rest assured you will first on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Surely someone planning and saving for 3 years for THIS car is as sane as it gets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

JPA wrote: »
    Surely someone planning and saving for 3 years for THIS car is as sane as it gets!

Depends

Saving or sacrificing?

Former shouldn't apply to cars, roof over your families head ok, car no

That's why TCP/IP is getting at

I disagree I know two people that are purchasing Model 3 and keep their performance ICE cars as track or weekend cars. I am also humming over the idea of a M3P as a runaround for the weekdays and also to keep mileage down on my current car and future ICE sports cars.

A M3P is a perfect car for that I think. I took one out last week for a test drive and it completely reinforces my thoughts it is the perfect weekday car for me especially in Winter months with the four wheel drive.

Agree completely with you. The Porsche crabs across the road in cold temperatures and low speeds. Really not nice to drive. A 4WD in our weather conditions ideal for everyday and winter driving

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Chaz76 wrote: »
    Agree completely with you. The Porsche crabs across the road in cold temperatures and low speeds. Really not nice to drive. A 4WD in our weather conditions ideal for everyday and winter driving

4WD doesn't give you any more grip in a corner than 2WD, or for braking, it only gives you more grip far accellerating where the friction between the tyres and surface is low. A 4WD doesn't have a higher cornering speed in the wet or on ice or snow.

4WD doesn't give you any more grip in a corner than 2WD, or for braking, it only gives you more grip far accellerating where the friction between the tyres and surface is low. A 4WD doesn't have a higher cornering speed in the wet or on ice or snow.

Sorry I wasn't talking when driving at normal speed. Due to the Ackermann angle which Porsche uses the car is horrible at manoeuvring speeds in cold weather. You would swear the front suspension was broken. Why I prefer having a second car for cold conditions and every day use and if its 4WD for traction all the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Financial advice is tedious, patronising and off-topic.

In any case, if all the billy big-balls proprietary director gob****es are so loaded why aren't they buying Taycans or Model S Ravens? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I know I am not supposed to reply to your comments, and my apologies to everyone else, but this is total tosh. When all the wheels are being driven it improves traction and greatly reduces understeer in cold conditions. Oversteer is also reduced from FWD cars. When the car is braking or coasting the 4wd obviously has no effect, but it far more rapidly and safely will power you out of any slide, oversteer or understeer.....you are a total bluffer.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Depends

Saving or sacrificing?

Former shouldn't apply to cars, roof over your families head ok, car no

That's why TCP/IP is getting at

That is not what the capitalist pontificating statement stated- to me it stated the working poor should know their place- that we should not aspire to own the glorified trinkets of the bosses- that we should not care enough about global warming to put ourselves in debt- I reject all of these perceptions of the bosses towards my class and I say nothing is too good for the working economic slaves- fcuk the bosses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Teslablue

It’s very simple we are here for a short time so if it rocks your boat go for it and if you have to sacrifice for it, why not because as you get older you will not be able to keep up with your younger self. Tesla is the car that rocks my boat so when I collect it Saturday I will fully enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

EVGuy wrote: »

depreciation may be either less or irrelvant as you might keep the car for 20+ years (could be dead by then) and potentially get a future income from it that would pay for a new one etc.

It's a mass market car probably worth half of it's list price in 3yrs time, if this list is 65k now it would be worth around 30k or less in 2023. If the 50k bik incentive is dropped a lot of these will end up back for sale.
    Income from a robo taxi in 20yrs time is pure pie in the sky stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I am also humming over the idea of a M3P as a runaround for the weekdays and also to keep mileage down on my current car and future ICE sports cars.

Before you make that decision, I would strongly advise you to speak to a professional and get some financial advice to make sure tour doing the right thing.

Don’t want you eating bread and water in the back of the car now, do we!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

That is not what the capitalist pontificating statement stated- to me it stated the working poor should know their place- that we should not aspire to own the glorified trinkets of the bosses- that we should not care enough about global warming to put ourselves in debt- I reject all of these perceptions of the bosses towards my class and I say nothing is too good for the working economic slaves- fcuk the bosses!!

Well said sir!!!!

If it wasn’t for the poor salary men and women with the talent to drive a business forward, how would all of the wonderful company directors or the companies that employ these higher paid salary men and women be able to afford the extravaganza that is the Model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I have been saving for 3 years having placed a deposit in 2016. Truth be told, it's a completely ridiculous purchase, that will leave me dangerously over exposed...if I loose my job...or get sick.

So I guess 2 fingers to that. I will loose my job and sometime I'll get sick and die..
    But before I do...I'll have a silly grin on my face....the grin of a man who did electric donuts while making digital fart noises...before being consumed in a spectacular lithium fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's everyones thoughts on colour combos, I like the black but people seem to be mainly giving out about it, swirl marks, pain too soft, easily scratches etc. Living in California i'd go white but with the amount it rains here I think it'll be harder to keep than the black. The blue looks more like a dark Navy unless the sun is blaring, the red's ok but I don't like it enough to pay more than the rest.
    Black will be the easiest repair I think when it gets damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've ordered the white. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet but a big fan of the perlescent white paint on any car. White doesn't show up the dirt at all compared to other colours too.

Second choice would be the red -- looks really fab, but just a bit too loud for me.

Wish there was a bit more choice on the interior.

• Advertisement

What's everyones thoughts on colour combos, I like the black but people seem to be mainly giving out about it, swirl marks, pain too soft, easily scratches etc. Living in California i'd go white but with the amount it rains here I think it'll be harder to keep than the black. The blue looks more like a dark Navy unless the sun is blaring, the red's ok but I don't like it enough to pay more than the rest.
    Black will be the easiest repair I think when it gets damaged.[/quote

My own thoughts are the white looks nicer than the black, (maybe only because my current car is black) - black looks dirtier quicker than white apparently- however you are correct I would think that the cheaper repair will be with the black-
    I was going with the black when it was the zero additional cost option- but was glad to get the free upgrade to the white.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement