Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Confirmed for the 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

I assume with the next two weeks going well recovery-wise, we should expect 10) Sexton 12) Frawley 13) Henshaw.

Would there be much point in retrying the combo we saw against Ulster? It seemed more of an emergency measure. Although I'll admit it went much better than a lot of people expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Frawley at 12 >>> Byrne at 12.

Leinster 'A' will be back in action this Friday when they face @UlsterRugby Ravens at Kingspan Stadium!

doesn't look like there will be a stream of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Clegg wrote: »
    Ruddock has now won every Leinster Player of the Month this season. Best player in the country right now.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1348966598082703368?s=09

Guaranteed to be overlooked for Ireland so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Guaranteed to be overlooked for Ireland so

Or guaranteed to get injured just before the call!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

First round of 6 nations is apparently going ahead, so expect Ruddock to get injured as per schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

First round of 6 nations is apparently going ahead, so expect Ruddock to get injured as per schedule!

I agree he’s doing great. But what does the back row look like with him in it? Who gets dropped?

There was a time when Stander was doing poorly, but he’s in good form now. Same with POM.

I think there are some positions which can’t improve much no matter which players are picked (in appropriate positions). The back row options are excellent and I don’t really think it matters which ones play e.g. VDF or Connors. Neither player is weak and neither player is a lot stronger than the other.

I think there’s a point of fairness and it feels fair that Ruddock should get more Ireland games because he’s playing so well, but I don’t think it would make much improvement to the back row as the other options are also playing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

I agree he’s doing great. But what does the back row look like with him in it? Who gets dropped?

There was a time when Stander was doing poorly, but he’s in good form now. Same with POM.

I think there are some positions which can’t improve much no matter which players are picked (in appropriate positions). The back row options are excellent and I don’t really think it matters which ones play e.g. VDF or Connors. Neither player is weak and neither player is a lot stronger than the other.

I think there’s a point of fairness and it feels fair that Ruddock should get more Ireland games because he’s playing so well, but I don’t think it would make much improvement to the back row as the other options are also playing so well.

I think there is room across the tournament to play different combinations- Ruddock would fit in with that.

Possible A side for fridays game:

1. Marcus Hanan
    2. Lee Barron
    3. Greg McGrath
    4. Joe McCarthy
    5. Jack Dunne
    6. Martin Moloney
    7. Sean O'Brien
    8. Alex Soroka
    9. Hugh O'Sullivan
    10. David Hawkshaw
    11. Andrew Smith
    12. Jamie Osborne
    13. Liam Turner
    14. Niall Comerford
    15. Max O'Reilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bayern wrote: »
    Possible A side for fridays game:

1. Marcus Hanan
    2. Lee Barron
    3. Greg McGrath
    4. Joe McCarthy
    5. Jack Dunne
    6. Martin Moloney
    7. Sean O'Brien
    8. Alex Soroka
    9. Hugh O'Sullivan
    10. David Hawkshaw
    11. Andrew Smith
    12. Jamie Osborne
    13. Liam Turner
    14. Niall Comerford
    15. Max O'Reilly

Would be good to see Osborne. Seems to be coming with a bit of hype.

Would Charlie Ryan not be in line for some minutes or is he fit?

Would be good to see Osborne. Seems to be coming with a bit of hype.

Would Charlie Ryan not be in line for some minutes or is he fit?

injured afaik.

Ulster ‘A’ versus Leinster ‘A’ will be live on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport NI website bbc.co.uk/sportni at 3pm this Friday (January 15).

hirondelle wrote: »
    I think there is room across the tournament to play different combinations- Ruddock would fit in with that.

Yeah and i still don’t think it would make much difference as back row isn’t a problem for Ireland. Same with Dan Leavy. How much team disruption will they want, to test new combinations for relatively little gain? Maybe not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah and i still don’t think it would make much difference as back row isn’t a problem for Ireland. Same with Dan Leavy. How much team disruption will they want, to test new combinations for relatively little gain? Maybe not much.

I think the Irish backrow is a problem, it’s less than the sum of its parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

salmocab wrote: »
    I think the Irish backrow is a problem, it’s less than the sum of its parts.

Controversially I think Irish backrowers just aren't really that good. We've a lot of VERY good players, without having any truly exceptional ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

errlloyd wrote: »
    Controversially I think Irish backrowers just aren't really that good. We've a lot of VERY good players, without having any truly exceptional ones.

POM and Stander will not be improving at this stage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

errlloyd wrote: »

Totally agree.
    Sob and heaslip were lions starter level.

It's was those two plus one for ages
    Don't have lads at that level at the moment but we have way more at a level just below it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I've long thought Ruddock on form was better than Stander or POM, but obvs selection hasn't gone his way.

To me, Ireland rarely play in a style that takes advantage of their backrows abilities. Having Stander take endless static ball instead of getting him in space. Not having Conan/ Doris/ Deeagan at 8, using their ball skills.

Might be one of the few areas you can see an improvement under Farrell, and hopefully it continues.

To me, Ireland rarely play in a style that takes advantage of their backrows abilities. Having Stander take endless static ball instead of getting him in space. Not having Conan/ Doris/ Deeagan at 8, using their ball skills.

Might be one of the few areas you can see an improvement under Farrell, and hopefully it continues.

Not sure if it’s Farrell, but that’s definitely CJ’s style. There was a great slow motion shot of CJ carrying the ball at the weekend. He was watching the tackler as he aimed for the centre of the tackler and tried to power over him. It was a cool shot in terms of being a big collision but he have absolutely No thought to using footwork, finding a soft shoulder or making an offload. It was all about the collision.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,209 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its telling that in the vast majority of pundits talk of lions starting back row options, there are no Irish players mentioned.

players like hamish watson and jamie richie are ahead of their irish counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its telling that in the vast majority of pundits talk of lions starting back row options, there are no Irish players mentioned.

players like hamish watson and jamie richie are ahead of their irish counterparts.

Dan Levy looked to have that trajectory before his injury and I'm not sure Ireland would have won a grand slam without him. Do people see him having that sort of impact again?

ersatz wrote: »
    Dan Levy looked to have that trajectory before his injury and I'm not sure Ireland would have won a grand slam without him. Do people see him having that sort of impact again?

i hope so as i have money on him being a tourist.

whether he can make the heights to being a test player i dont know.

CJ is the closest to a jersey, but i dont think hes a test starter ahead of Bill V (assuming BV gets back up to speed)

i think an all English test back row is hard to argue against currently.
    If Falateau get back to his best he'll be an option somewhere... and the mish is a player who would grace any team.

Doris will need to be a starter in all the 6N games to have any look in at all, but i wouldn't write him off yet as an outside chance of travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

i hope so as i have money on him being a tourist.

whether he can make the heights to being a test player i dont know.

CJ is the closest to a jersey, but i dont think hes a test starter ahead of Bill V (assuming BV gets back up to speed)

i think an all English test back row is hard to argue against currently.
    If Falateau get back to his best he'll be an option somewhere... and the mish is a player who would grace any team.

Doris will need to be a starter in all the 6N games to have any look in at all, but i wouldn't write him off yet as an outside chance of travelling

I would say Doris is odds on to travel as things stand.

6s: Stander, Curry
    7s: Underhill, Tipuric, Leavy
    8s: Vunipola, Doris, Faletau

Something like that, maybe.

I would say Doris is odds on to travel as things stand.

well hes not, hes 7/4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭theVersatile

POM is 100% ahead of Leavy atm and that won't change unless Leavy gets international gametime between now and the tour. Its absolutely rediculous to say that POM isn't a lions test level player, he literally CAPTAINED them four years ago and no amount of "but Warbs started afterwards" changes that. Also, he's playing some of his best rugby atm. I'd put him as more likely to start than Doris, though I'd say both could tour. Depends on the style of game being played - Stander could easily be brought in too. Yes he is a pure physicality player, but that could well be what you need to take on the most physical international team in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Our back rows are good players, but there is nobody as good as SOB, Ferris and Heaslip. The English lads are considerably better, imo.
    That said, I think we aren't using the back row the way we should. Too much static plays and attempts at bosh ball.
    Farrell will hopefully get the right mix. It's been underwhelming for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Our back rows are good players, but there is nobody as good as SOB, Ferris and Heaslip. The English lads are considerably better, imo.
    That said, I think we aren't using the back row the way we should. Too much static plays and attempts at bosh ball.
    Farrell will hopefully get the right mix. It's been underwhelming for ages now.

What would you suggest the back row do so differently?
    How would you change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

What would you suggest the back row do so differently?
    How would you change it?

CJ Could be faster, his footwork could be better, his hands could be better. He could be a better lineout option.
    POM's tacking could be more dominant, he could be a better jackler, he could have better discipline.
    VDJ could provide a jackal threat as well as a tackle threat. He could be a stonger carrier.

These players are very good, each of them would have caps for any country bar New Zealand. But it is not hard to imagine a *better* version of each of them, and that is what some countries have.

But Geoffrey Aldritt, Charles Ollivon, Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau, Billy V, Tom Curry, Sam Underhill, Hooper, Non Racist Matera, Sam Cane, Shannon Frizzel - these guys would pretty much all be the best back-rower in Ireland if they played in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

well hes not, hes 7/4

Ha, okay. You're the man for the odds.

I still don't really see him missing out.

- only one of Faletau and Navidi can start at 8 for Wales, so the other will be behind the 8 ball a bit

- Scotland's best backrowers are flankers rather than 8s

- Ireland moved to Stander at 6 and Doris at 8 for the Autumn, which is good for Doris's chances

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement