Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Cullen saying how Sexton, Ross and Henshaw will line up is not divulged yet... To keep them guessing.

Maybe we're actually looking at a 10. Byrne 12. Sexton 13. Henshaw

So.... you're saying there's still a chance Cronin will play 13....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

TRC10 wrote: »
    I agree. Not sure what your point is.

The point is when the respective backlines set up defensively for set-piece / phase play do you want Henshaw or Byrne tackling ulsters best ball carrying back mcCloskey ? (The same question I asked earlier)

Cullen saying how Sexton, Ross and Henshaw will line up is not divulged yet... To keep them guessing.

Presumably they will play differently in attack as they will in defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

The point is when the respective backlines set up defensively for set-piece / phase play do you want Henshaw or Byrne tackling ulsters best ball carrying back mcCloskey ? (The same question I asked earlier)

I want Byrne marking Mccloskey, because I think there is more chance of Hume doing him on the outside, than Mccloskey running over him (which never happens anyway, because 12s tend to run down the 10 channel)

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It’s not much of a guess since there’s only one combination of those 3 that makes any sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    It’s not much of a guess since there’s only one combination of those 3 that makes any sense at all.

A combination of all 3 scoring tries within the first 10 minutes?

I want Byrne marking Mccloskey, because I think there is more chance of Hume doing him on the outside, than Mccloskey running over him (which never happens anyway, because 12s tend to run down the 10 channel)

I think you will find yourself disappointed if you watch who primarily tackles Mccloskey on crash ball.

I think you will find yourself disappointed if you watch who primarily tackles Mccloskey on crash ball.

Josh Van Der Flier?

I think you'll find I dont really give a **** which Leinster player tackles McCloskey. The guy is the most one dimensional rugby player I've ever seen, out of all the Ulster backs he worries me the least.

I think you'll find I dont really give a **** which Leinster player tackles McCloskey. The guy is the most one dimensional rugby player I've ever seen, out of all the Ulster backs he worries me the least.

Six posts about it suggests otherwise.

• Advertisement

Six posts about it suggests otherwise.

Dude. You brought Mccloskey into this discussion not me. My posts were purely regarding whether Byrne plays at 12 or 13. I couldn't care less about Mccloskey, you brought him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's really not worth your time replying.

It's really not worth your time replying.

I know, when someone starts a sentence with “Dude” it’s a dead giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Anyone concerned about Sexton returning 6 days after failing a HIA ?

Considering his past it seems to be a risk not worth taking for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No

I have full faith in the medical professionals that he is cleared to play and that they wouldn't take any risk with him.

No

I have full faith in the medical professionals that he is cleared to play and that they wouldn't take any risk with him.

Once it’s not the same medical Professionals who resided over Joey carberys care it should be fine.

Once it’s not the same medical Professionals who resided over Joey carberys care it should be fine.

He was in pristine condition when he came off the Leinster intra-provincial support production line

No fear of that seeing as it was the munster medics that cleared him to play at the start of last season only to change their minds and get his ankle operated on after he hurt his wrist.... Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Amazed to see Ross Byrne at 13! I think it will be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

Amazed to see Stockdale as touch judge. Shows his versatility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Brilliant read from Ross Byrne.

I think he did that last season in an interpro too?

Biggest winner tonight was probably Keenan. Showed he's really at home at in elite club rugby and worthy of an Irish spot.

Credit to the Leinster back three generally. They were very comfortable under the high ball and positioning. The Ulster back three were good despite their inexperience but just didn't have the same smarts.

Glad to see DK score again. Incredible to think he now has 19 tries in his last 21 starts. He flies way under the radar inexplicably given he's very solid defensively too.

The Leinster pack were dependent on Porter, Cronin and Ryan largely. Ruddock was solid and VDF became better the longer the game went on but Fardy, Healy and Doris were very quiet.

I thought AOC was very good for Ulster but Jordi Murphy was like a man possessed out there. I'm now firmly of the belief he has been phoning it in for the last couple of years as he's still capable of playing like that, just needed the motivation.

Lastly, very disappointed with Burns. He was really poor tonight. If we consider Lowry stepped in at 10 a few times, he was the 5th best outhalf on display tonight. Poor decisions and execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Amazed to see Ross Byrne at 13! I think it will be a disaster.

You can stuff that opinion somewhere anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We did well in shutting down McCloskey and Coetzee. Neither made consistent carries beyond the gain line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    We did well in shutting down McCloskey and Coetzee. Neither made consistent carries beyond the gain line.

Very impressive to not give them any inroads.

Doris was very impressive in shutting down Coetzee. Very mature performance from him i thought. I'd say Marcel will be having flashbacks of Doris in his face all the way on the bus on the M1 home.

Was great to see to. Obviously Doris is prolific going forward but was excellent to see that he's able to keep world class ball carries in check too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whilst Keenan deservedly got all the plaudits last night, I'm starting to think we take DK for granted at this stage. He has had an incredible 18 months now. 19 tries in 21 starts for Leinster and a largely injury free period has seen him finally playing the way he has always been capable of.

Injury has probably robbed him of the opportunity to become Leinster's record try scorer as he's still 20 behind Horgan and almost 32 but I wouldn't rule it out if he can continue in this form.

Even with injuries in the back three starting to clear up, I'd find it very hard to leave him out of the starting side at this point. There's a serious battle there between DK, Lowe, Larmour, Keenan and JOB for the spots in the 23.

He has been fantastic. It's mad to think the biggest criticism of him used to be that he didn't score tries!

Any winger in the world would have been appreciative of his finish last night.

Even if burns did fresh air him to a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Any winger in the world would have been appreciative of his finish last night.

Even if burns did fresh air him to a degree

Cracking finish but more impressive was how so many people not playing managed to obscure so many camera angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hadn’t read this thread in a few days, made for very funny reading, going through the pages and pages of stuff about Ross Byrne. I don’t think it will be a regular thing, as teams would learn to exploit his lack of pace. Both in attack and defence he performed well, even in the 13 channel. He created space for Henshaw to attack which was great to see. Thought the back line were fairly poor in the first half but things clicked much better in the second half.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Cracking finish but more impressive was how so many people not playing managed to obscure so many camera angles.

Haha yeah that ran through my thoughts on the review as well

Perfect placement by the ball boys there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement