Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Take it to the lions thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

ersatz wrote: »
    Dan Levy looked to have that trajectory before his injury and I'm not sure Ireland would have won a grand slam without him. Do people see him having that sort of impact again?

Not really. Leavy was great but we'd still have won with SOB or VDF at 7.

Everyone looked great in 2018. If Leavy had been around for the rubbishness of 2019 and 2020, I think we'd have a more balanced view of him. And now of course he has an horrific injury under his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We just don't have any dynamism. None of our back tows are explosive. Ruddock would be the closest imo.
    But we do have very good players. Not that they're going to start for the Lions.
    Getting the mix right is the key. Getting the gameplan right is also important. There doesn't seem to be any plan to get VDF involved as a link man or a carrying threat. If he was used to play to his strengths, I think he's got potential to be a 1st rate player.
    But similarly, we could involve other back rows as link men etc.
    There probably will be others given a chance and maybe they could push on to be dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Dubinusa wrote: »
    We just don't have any dynamism. None of our back tows are explosive. Ruddock would be the closest imo.
    But we do have very good players. Not that they're going to start for the Lions.
    Getting the mix right is the key. Getting the gameplan right is also important. There doesn't seem to be any plan to get VDF involved as a link man or a carrying threat. If he was used to play to his strengths, I think he's got potential to be a 1st rate player.
    There probably will be others given a chance and maybe they could push on to be dominant.

I'd say Coombes or Baird (if he was playing blindside) would probably be the most powerful and dynamic backrowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Dubinusa wrote: »
    VDF defensive workout, attacking the oppositions rucks, getting turnovers is where he is playing to his strengths and he's doing that now.
    If not that then what exactly do you see as his strengths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

VDF defensive workout, attacking the oppositions rucks, getting turnovers is where he is playing to his strengths and he's doing that now.
    If not that then what exactly do you see as his strengths

They are his strengths. But with possession I think he could have a bigger impact. I just think they could get more from him.

Ulster A

(15-9) Aaron Sexton(u21), Ben Moxham(u20), Hayden Hyde(u21), Ben Carson(u20), Conor Rankin(u20), Bill Johnston, Nathan Doak(u20);

(1-8) Gareth Milasinovich, Adam McBurney, Ross Kane, Cormac Izuchukwu(u21), Conor McMenamin(u21), Harry Sheridan(u20), Marcus Rea, David McCann(u21) (Capt.).

Replacements from: Bradley Roberts, Callum Reid, Tom O’Toole, Reuben Crothers(u19), James McCormick(u19), Lewis Finlay(u21), James Humphreys(u20)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Interesting Ulster have only named 22 players and named Tom O'Toole.

I wonder are they a bit stuck for players at the moment

Leinster 'A' team news will be confirmed tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

From The42.

LEINSTER AND MUNSTER have effectively progressed straight into the last 16 of this season’s European Champions Cup after it was confirmed today that Europe’s final two rounds of group matches will be cancelled.

That means that the Champions and Challenge Cups are almost certain to move straight into the knockout phase.

The French government has blocked the Top 14 clubs from competing in cross-border competition this month due to its fears over the UK strain of coronavirus, which has sent the number of cases in England soaring.

The remaining two pool rounds were initially postponed but English Premier Rugby’s chief executive Darren Childs says they have now been abandoned because of the lack of space in an already full schedule.

Tournament organisers EPCR will decide within the fortnight what format the competitions should take, with a knockout phase launched by a round of 16 the likely option.

If so, Leinster and Munster will both have home ties – Leinster most likely against either Sale or Gloucester; Munster at home to either Scarlets or Clermont. Ulster and Connacht are likely to go into the Challenge Cup at the round of 16 stage.

• Advertisement

Leinster A

1. Marcus Hanan(u21)
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Greg McGrath
    4. Joe McCarthy(u20)
    5. Jack Dunne
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Sean O'Brien(u21)
    8. Alex Soroka(u20)
    9. Cormac Foley
    10. David Hawkshaw
    11. Niall Comerford(u21)
    12. Liam Turner
    13. Jamie Osborne(u20)
    14. Cian Kelleher
    15. Max O'Reilly(u21)
    16. Lee Barron(u20)
    17. Jack Boyle(u19)
    18. Tom Clarkson(u21)
    19. Mark Morrissey(u19)
    20. Mark Hernan(u21)
    21. Paddy Patterson
    22. Tim Corkery(u20)
    23. Chris Cosgrave(u20)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Jesus that's quite a squad for an a team match looking forward to it now!

Huge back 5 in the pack:

4. McCarthy - 6'6, 110kg
    5. Jack Dunne - 6'8, 115kg
    6. Ryan Baird - 6'6, 110kg
    7. Sean O'Brien - 6'4, 105kg
    8. Alex Soroka - 6'5, 105kg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,209 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What are the chances this will be geoblocked???

Surprised to see Kelleher and Baird named.

Kelleher could definitely do with some match minutes having been out for a decent block now - he's only had 9 minutes of rugby since November.

Baird is a more surprising inclusion. Possibly he needs a game. Possible Leinster are reacting to a strong Ulster side named.

Glad this is being streamed - Looking forward to it

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What are the chances this will be geoblocked???

it's available worldwide on website. BBC NI announced that when asked.

bayern wrote: »
    Huge back 5 in the pack:

4. McCarthy - 6'6, 110kg
    5. Jack Dunne - 6'8, 115kg
    6. Ryan Baird - 6'6, 110kg
    7. Sean O'Brien - 6'4, 105kg
    8. Alex Soroka - 6'5, 105kg

Absolute monsters. Especially for an A game.

Surprised SOB is that big. Visually doesn't seem it.

I'm similarly surprised Soroka is that small ("small") in the highlight videos he looks positively man mountain like

Yeah Soroka may be bigger, you'd wonder if he will outgrow 8 given his current size at 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,829 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I hope we're not considering Baird as an option at 6 going forward. He's lethal with ball in hand but surely the best use of resources would be to have him partner Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,829 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Indo have us down to play Gloucester in the Champions Cup QF. They also have a line about Contepomi "considering his options." Wonder is Noel McNamara going to replace him if he goes?
    Leinster, meanwhile, are also on alert as assistant coach and legendary former player Felipe Contepomi considers his options.
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-set-to-host-gloucester-as-champions-cup-pool-stage-abandoned-39970895.html

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    The Indo have us down to play Gloucester in the Champions Cup QF. They also have a line about Contepomi "considering his options." Wonder is Noel McNamara going to replace him if he goes?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-set-to-host-gloucester-as-champions-cup-pool-stage-abandoned-39970895.html

Yes.

I hope we're not considering Baird as an option at 6 going forward. He's lethal with ball in hand but surely the best use of resources would be to have him partner Ryan.

irish coaches could be looking at him at 6.

I'm torn. There is a strong argument to say that his speed and athleticism are most suited to 6 where you can get much more out of them.

Baird has to be the quickest forward in Ireland - certainly in the top 5. And his ability in contact is unlike the vast majority of ball carrying options in Ireland.

Will you get the most out of him if he's stuck in the engine room hitting rucks. Especially when we depend on Ryan so much for carrying for the hard yards too.

There's a bigger part of me that wants to see him thrive at second row as they're much harder to come by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMC83

Surprised to see Kelleher and Baird named.

Kelleher could definitely do with some match minutes having been out for a decent block now - he's only had 9 minutes of rugby since November.

I wonder does he regret coming back. Hes never really broken into the first 15 and its feels like he could find himself overtaken again by younger players.

Unfortunately with B&I league down the saw theres not a lot of game time for the A team

PMC83 wrote: »
    I wonder does he regret coming back. Hes never really broken into the first 15 and its feels like he could find himself overtaken again by younger players.

Unfortunately with B&I league down the saw theres not a lot of game time for the A team

I'm not sure coming back would be his regret. Leaving in the first place might be a bigger regret for him.

He backed himself which is fair and he did go to the Pro12 champions at the time. But there was game time here and I think it's fair to say he would have developed more here had he stayed.

In his last season before he left, we had Fitzgerald, Fanning, Kirchner, Mick McGrath on the books as back 3 options. There was game time there for him if he stayed.

As I recall we signed Barry Daly on trial from the AIL to cover Kellehers absence. That obviously worked out quite well but I can't see that happening if Kelleher was in situ.

I don't have Cians exact stats for his time with Connacht. But he was far from first choice. And I think there's a strong argument to say that he would have gotten more significant minutes had he stayed here

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

I'm torn. There is a strong argument to say that his speed and athleticism are most suited to 6 where you can get much more out of them.

Baird has to be the quickest forward in Ireland - certainly in the top 5. And his ability in contact is unlike the vast majority of ball carrying options in Ireland.

Will you get the most out of him if he's stuck in the engine room hitting rucks. Especially when we depend on Ryan so much for carrying for the hard yards too.

There's a bigger part of me that wants to see him thrive at second row as they're much harder to come by

Long term Ireland might be looking at Ryan and Ahearn at lock, with Baird at 6.which would be a pretty good use of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think Leinster will be looking at Baird as a lock. Its likely that after this season both Fardy and Toner will be gone. Baird will be first choice alongside Ryan if that's the case. We have too many good back rows and, in the above scenario, too few good locks to do any different. Hopefully he'll be taking over Fardys role in the wider channels as he has pretty good hands and athleticism. He could be incredibly dangerous in those positions as well as the tighter channels with his physicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Itoje is as fine a practitioner as there is and he can play back row if needed, I'd be in no rush to try make Baird exclusively one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Itoje is as fine a practitioner as there is and he can play back row if needed, I'd be in no rush to try make Baird exclusively one or the other.

I agree to a point, but Itoje is primarily a lock. And from Leinsters perspective, they have loads of back rows. They don't need Baird there. They need him in the row. So while he may get minutes in the back row in some games due to injuries etc, I can only really see Leinster using him as a lock.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

bayern wrote: »
    Ulster ‘A’ versus Leinster ‘A’ will be live on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport NI website bbc.co.uk/sportni at 3pm this Friday (January 15).

Any way of determining where the “live” option is on iplayer? At the moment I’m in bbc sport NI website and see no iplayer option. In the Iplayer itself it’s only recorded shows doesn’t show any area for live tv or events

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement