Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think Parker has been a decent pick up thus far. He has looked good during his cameo's.
    Losing Aungier was big loss imo. He's going to be pushing Bealham fairly soon, I think.
    With the injury update, we look very stretched and I suppose, vulnerable.
    I hope to see Frawley at oh. I think he could really push on. Losing C.O.B has been a right pain. Himself and TOB are good 12's and I guess Hawkshaw would be next up.
    I think Edinburgh could be a tough proposition. We are into the academy players now, which is great, but we are short of bodies. Great chance for Sylvester to prove himself. He's a 3rd year? This exposure could secure him a contract.
    It's strange seeing Leinster being in this position! I suppose the only proving ground for these lads is now, with the international players absent and the injuries.

Ye losing both Aungier and Salanoa was a hit, is Clarkson injured?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This is actually my favourite part of the season, watching all the newbs get a chance to play and impress.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This is actually my favourite part of the season, watching all the newbs get a chance to play and impress.

This year because of the makeup of the season the younger players are getting a great opportunity to have a good run of games. There’ll be some tough calls made for the European games

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see which ones will stay around the first team and which ones we won’t see until the next international window.

TOB looks like he could stay around the 23. Real pity about his injury.
    Penny has been great again and I really hope Sheehan makes it. I’d love to see an unorthodox hooker come through.

Will Dooley ever make it through to the first choice squad and can Milne or Clarkeson come through?

Yeah I love this part of the season too!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd say Dooley must be looking at Byrne with some envy, he started ahead of Byrne at u20 despite being a year younger, and despite his injury woes Byrne has beaten him for that second spot at the province and as a result gotten a call up to the senior team, and now has the likes of Milne breathing down his neck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd say Dooley must be looking at Byrne with some envy, he started ahead of Byrne at u20 despite being a year younger, and despite his injury woes Byrne has beaten him for that second spot at the province and as a result gotten a call up to the senior team, and now has the likes of Milne breathing down his neck

Dooley was really starting to emerge 2 seasons ago or so. Even getting european knockout minutes.

He just doesn't seemed to have kicked on. He's a decent scrummager and fairly good in the loose.

I rated him when he was playing at a level that exceeded expectations as an academy player. The problem now is he hasn't followed up exceeding those expectations with standout performances at senior level

How many games has Dooley got? I honestly forget what he looks like.

He really hasn’t kicked on as a player since showing early promise, Milne looks like he might be taking his spot by the end of this season if he doesn’t start improving, Milne could be exactly what he needs to kick start him back in track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Milne does not look like he will be taking Dooleys spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Montpellier A sat 12-12 6pm
    Northamption H sat 19-12 1pm
    Northampton A fri 15-1 5.30pm
    Montpellier H fri 22-1 1 5.30pm

A few observations, strange to start away from home, but that was probably the price of a Christmas fixture at home and the very outside chance of a crowd.

Montpellier play their second last game late on the Saturday, so we will have a good recovery advantage there.

• Advertisement

Montpellier A sat 12-12 6pm
    Northamption H sat 19-12 1pm
    Northampton A fri 15-1 5.30pm
    Montpellier H fri 22-1 1 5.30pm

A few observations, strange to start away from home, but that was probably the price of a Christmas fixture at home and the very outside chance of a crowd.

Montpellier play their second last game late on the Saturday, so we will have a good recovery advantage there.

No hope of a crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Guys I have to say

Leinster was supposed to be coming into transition period
    in the engine machine for exemple how to do with Thorn, Toner, Roux, SOB, Murphy, Ruddock, Heaslip, etc all top class retired, left, or closed to retiring

then in 3 years you developped Ryan, Baird, Leavy, VDF, Connors, Doris, Deegan and so on
    the transition period vanished and the winning serie is exceptional

You have 50% of underage/club players of course, but that's just amazing

Cheers

connachta wrote: »
    Guys I have to say

Leinster was supposed to be coming into transition period
    in the engine machine for exemple how to do with Thorn, Toner, Roux, SOB, Murphy, Ruddock, Heaslip, etc all top class retired, left, or closed to retiring

then in 3 years you developped Ryan, Baird, Leavy, VDF, Connors, Doris, Deegan and so on
    the transition period vanished and the winning serie is exceptional

You have 50% of underage/club players of course, but that's just amazing

Cheers

With Doris getting MOTM at 8 for Ireland and Ruddock in great form, I wonder what the preferred starting loose forwards will be when the international window is over. Could Conan be dropped? He’s done nothing wrong but the tide might have risen around him.

I thought VDF was quiet last night.

Has there been any update on Furlong?

Last I heard he had recovered from his back injury but then picked up a calf injury but that was mid September. Surely has to be nearing a return?

Just a heel injury to go and he should be fine

Just a heel injury to go and he should be fine

Knees and toes?

Yeah they aren’t giving updates on him in the last few weeks. But they usually give a heads up when they “return to training” and then when they “step up the training load”. So I’d say he’s a minimum of 3 or 4 weeks away yet.

Vakh has been out for ages with a back injury. I think he had a back injury at around Christmas and played a few games before being out with another (or maybe the same) back injury before lockdown. Haven’t had any updates on him either.

Hope he’s getting better.

Knees and toes?

Yeah they aren’t giving updates on him in the last few weeks. But they usually give a heads up when they “return to training” and then when they “step up the training load”. So I’d say he’s a minimum of 3 or 4 weeks away yet.

Vakh has been out for ages with a back injury. I think he had a back injury at around Christmas and played a few games before being out with another (or maybe the same) back injury before lockdown. Haven’t had any updates on him either.

Hope he’s getting better.

Vakh got surgery to rectify on his back issue. No timeline on his recovery. Will be a while before we see him sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's been awesome seeing J.O.B putting in great shifts at fb. Very good player, imo. He really is a good all rounder.
    Same with Josh Murphy. I think he really has stepped up.
    I think they're going to continue carefully with Leavy. I think he will be a sub for the next few weeks. Penny has been very good. Jesus! We're stacked at 7.

I'd like to see JOB called in for the Georgia game

• Registered Users Posts: 16,829 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Harry Byrne is ok after his knock last weekend. Frawley is back too. Baird makes his return to the team at no 23. We've named a very strong forward pack and a 6-2 split on the bench. Shows you how seriously we're taking Edinburgh.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1327943932777426946?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Edinburgh are going to get thumped. They're missing 21 players through national selection or injury.

Toner and Ruddock have as many Leinster appearances as their entire team combined have Edinburgh appearances.

Baird in as back 3 cover !

He certainly has the pace for it but suspect he might come on at 6 or Fardy will drop back.

Solid front row, high work rate in the second row and good set piece security and a pretty tasty looking back row all things considered.

Plenty of play making in that backline and loads of forward mobility on the bench.

Thought Edinburgh were poor against Ospreys in round one and again against Connacht but have looked good away from home this season against Scarlets and Munster.
    Buer wrote: »
    Edinburgh are going to get thumped. They're missing 21 players through national selection or injury.

Toner and Ruddock have as many Leinster appearances as their entire team combined have Edinburgh appearances.

Didn't realise they were missing that many players. They'll be sending something marginally beyond AIL standard if that's the case.

Really any need to start both Fardy and Toner?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leavy starts! :)

bayern wrote: »
    Really any need to start both Fardy and Toner?

They get a tax break for employing senior citizens. (Joke)

They’ve done really good rotation in the second row. I’d like to see Jack Dunne get a start beside one of the experienced lads.

Also delighted for Leavy

• Subscribers Posts: 41,202 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster should be way too strong for that Edinburgh team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Saucy backrow

How would people feel about Monday night rugby continuing post covid?

I actually quite like it to be honest - think I'd be very happy strolling down to the RDS after a Monday in the office.

Nope, friday nights are much better.

• Advertisement

How would people feel about Monday night rugby continuing post covid?

I actually quite like it to be honest - think I'd be very happy strolling down to the RDS after a Monday in the office.

Same here. Makes the week after the game a lot shorter but the week leading up to a game a lot longer haha.

I appreciate a lot of Leinster fans who'd have a further commute than myself wouldn't like Monday games for that reason.

But personally I think it's good and wouldn't mind seeing it continue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement