Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I absolutely would not get into bed with the English clubs as things stand.

There would need to be a Union body within the RFU that represents and regulates them before I'd see the provinces join up.

The clubs are ran at the behest of owners that are focused on their teams and not the health of the league - I just don't see the long term benefit to Irish rugby.

Not sure any Pro14 team can look down at Premiership teams and talk about things being run for the health of the league. Look at the state of the Pro14 now, it's hardly "healthy", and as it has slid further into the mire the owners of it have looked on and could not have cared less.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    but it is their problem if the league itself is struggling.... not that theyre the cause of the problem of course, but they are affected by the result of the problem

is there just absolute apathy in wales to this??

I think it is slowly dawning on people why the Welsh have struggled to generate, and then maintain any sort of interest in this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

awec wrote: »
    Not sure any Pro14 team can look down at Premiership teams and talk about things being run for the health of the league. Look at the state of the Pro14 now, it's hardly "healthy", and as it has slid further into the mire the owners of it have looked on and could not have cared less.

The Preimiership isnt great which is the problem, its just 9-10 of the 12 teams are equally mediocre.

awec wrote: »

The premiership is in a spiral of debt and the clubs wield far too much power over the RFU. As much as the Pro14 isn't in great shape, the problems facing the premiership are far greater in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

If the South African team experiment doesn't work, is it time to look at a 'Premiership' and 'Championship' with promotion relegation with Irish/English/Welsh/Scottish/SA teams.

I think the Italians would be better off joining the Pro D2 or trying to join up with the French league. Regardless of whatever progress they both have made, they would be better off somewhere else.
    Would be a possibility but cant see English going for this.
    Italians possibly should join with French League but french wont go for that.

Could mods move this to the general or pro14 thread? Is more than just Leinster thread issue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Leinster played in the premiership, I think its a 2 horse race. Exeter are the only team in the premiership that is as good and consistent as Leinster.
    The Leinster side from yesterday would imo. be competitive against any English side.
    The Welch sides are disappointing and I have no idea why! But, that's not down to Leinster. Wales internationally have been very good?
    Scotland too have improved! But Glasgow are awful. I don't think it's a lack of interest.
    It's similar to all of the leagues though? The bottom sides in the top 14 are gash. It appears to be Eurowide.
    Our league is poor, but aren't all of the leagues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Premiership is often massively overated in terms of how competitive it is,

Saracens and Exeter were running a two horse race for the last 6 years, and now Sarries arent there anymore its a one horse race,

The pro14 is usually winnable by Munster, Leinster, Glasgow, Scarlets, Ulster and recently Edinburgh.

SA teams will hopefully add more excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    The Preimiership isnt great which is the problem, its just 9-10 of the 12 teams are equally mediocre.

Yeah, but still if you took the top 3 or 4 Premiership teams plus Leinster, Ulster and Munster plus maybe Edinburgh and Cardiff (just to keep Scotland and Wales interested), you'd get a competitive competition.

After tonight's games Leinster and Ulster are 16 and 14 points respectively ahead of 3rd place in Conference A...after 5 rounds!

There is a bit of a gulf between Leinster and Ulster and Munster, but there is now arguably an even bigger gulf opening up between Munster/Ulster and the rest. In fact it's not far off the mark to say that Connacht are better than the rest this season as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Premiership is often massively overated in terms of how competitive it is,

Saracens and Exeter were running a two horse race for the last 6 years, and now Sarries arent there anymore its a one horse race,

The pro14 is usually winnable by Munster, Leinster, Glasgow, Scarlets, Ulster and recently Edinburgh.

SA teams will hopefully add more excitement

Not really. The pro14 is winnable by Leinster, not by anybody else, unless a complete fabrication occurs. At least there used to be Exeter and Saracens. Now there is only Exeter

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Not really. The pro14 is winnable by Leinster, not by anybody else, unless a complete fabrication occurs. At least there used to be Exeter and Saracens. Now there is only Exeter

If you don’t count this year (Saracens were relegated of course) Saracens have won 4 of the last 5, how on earth is that competitive? In that same period we have had 3 teams win the pro12/pro14?

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, but still if you took the top 3 or 4 Premiership teams plus Leinster, Ulster and Munster plus maybe Edinburgh and Cardiff (just to keep Scotland and Wales interested), you'd get a competitive competition.

After tonight's games Leinster and Ulster are 16 and 14 points respectively ahead of 3rd place in Conference A...after 5 rounds!

There is a bit of a gulf between Leinster and Ulster and Munster, but there is now arguably an even bigger gulf opening up between Munster/Ulster and the rest. In fact it's not far off the mark to say that Connacht are better than the rest this season as well.

But at the same time you could say there is a massive gulf between the premiership top team and the rest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

As discussed by Cullen with media after the game, the Round 5 game against Ospreys was a bruising encounter and a number of players will be managed this week as a result.

Harry Byrne and Rory O’Loughlin fall into that category with both replaced with knocks. Byrne picked up a dead leg and O’Loughlin took a knock to his shoulder but both are due to be available for selection this week should they come through training.

However the news isn’t as positive for Tommy O’Brien who was replaced with an ankle injury (syndesmosis) and will have a procedure this week ruling him out for between six and eight weeks.

Jack Conan has also rejoined the Leinster Rugby squad in UCD this week having been released by the IRFU. Unfortunately Jack has a neck injury which requires further assessment.

Seán Cronin (thumb), Ryan Baird (adductor) and Tadhg Furlong (calf) will once again this week step up their rehabilitation and their training load and will again be assessed as the week progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    If you don’t count this year (Saracens were relegated of course) Saracens have won 4 of the last 5, how on earth is that competitive? In that same period we have had 3 teams win the pro12/pro14?

Well there was the slight issue of Saracens cheating the system....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Not surprised but disappointed for Tommy.

Really frustrating one as it was an unlucky tackle on a dead play anyway. Didn't need to happen.

Few more weeks of consistent rugby and he'd be bashing down the door for inclusion in the bigger games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Not surprised but disappointed for Tommy.

Really frustrating one as it was an unlucky tackle on a dead play anyway. Didn't need to happen.

Few more weeks of consistent rugby and he'd be bashing down the door for inclusion in the bigger games.

Gutted for him, atleast hes got to show the coaches some of his quality, Looks like Turner or hawkshaw may get a start this weekend

Would like to see Hawkshaw get a run. We could use Conor O Brien back right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Interesting article on a change to the Leinster scrum set since the Saracens game:

https://twitter.com/rugby_ie/status/1326801907650863108

There was no news on Frawley last week and he didn't play but hopeful he is available this week.

A note on Milne. Only Ruddock carried more than him last game. And he was on for 30 minutes more. Energetic from the loosehead. They were effective carries too. Deserves a start on the back of that.

Can't see too many changes. Would like to see Dunne get a start.

Milne
    Tracy
    Bent
    Molony
    Dunne
    Murphy
    Penny
    Ruddock
    McGrath
    Byrne
    Kearney
    ROL
    Turner
    Kelleher
    JOB
    Sheehan
    Dooley
    Clarkson
    Toner
    Fardy
    HOS
    Frawley
    Leavy

Baird & Cronin are back.

bayern wrote: »
    Baird & Cronin are back.

I took Leinsters injury update with a pinch of salt. I know they were pictured on Leinsters insta this morning. But I can't remember the last time a Leinster player was selected the same week they had a "will step up training/ being monitored" type injury update.

Would be great to see one or both of them back

• Advertisement

Frawley back training today.

bayern wrote: »
    Frawley back training today.

Also great news.

I wonder would they look to start him at 10 if he's fit.

Harry is coming off the back of getting removed for a dead leg and then 2 full 80 minute performances before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ruddock wins Player of the Month. Absolutely the right choice.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1326833257476972544?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

He's certainly upped his beast mode for the last few games. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

There was no news on Frawley last week and he didn't play but hopeful he is available this week.

A note on Milne. Only Ruddock carried more than him last game. And he was on for 30 minutes more. Energetic from the loosehead. They were effective carries too. Deserves a start on the back of that.

Can't see too many changes. Would like to see Dunne get a start.

Milne
    Tracy
    Bent
    Molony
    Dunne
    Murphy
    Penny
    Ruddock
    McGrath
    Byrne
    Kearney
    ROL
    Turner
    Kelleher
    JOB
    Sheehan
    Dooley
    Clarkson
    Toner
    Fardy
    HOS
    Frawley
    Leavy

where did you find stats on the game? haven't been seeing many on the rabo with internationals on

FrannoFan wrote: »
    where did you find stats on the game? haven't been seeing many on the rabo with internationals on

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/match-statistics/?FixGuid=20OL8170

FrannoFan wrote: »

The Rabo? Now there's a throwback haha

Leinster normally put up individual player stats on the match report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

The Rabo? Now there's a throwback haha

Leinster normally put up individual player stats on the match report

doing well not to be still calling it the celtic league :)

• Advertisement

I think Parker has been a decent pick up thus far. He has looked good during his cameo's.
    Losing Aungier was big loss imo. He's going to be pushing Bealham fairly soon, I think.
    With the injury update, we look very stretched and I suppose, vulnerable.
    I hope to see Frawley at oh. I think he could really push on. Losing C.O.B has been a right pain. Himself and TOB are good 12's and I guess Hawkshaw would be next up.
    I think Edinburgh could be a tough proposition. We are into the academy players now, which is great, but we are short of bodies. Great chance for Sylvester to prove himself. He's a 3rd year? This exposure could secure him a contract.
    It's strange seeing Leinster being in this position! I suppose the only proving ground for these lads is now, with the international players absent and the injuries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement