Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Madigan for 10 in 2021 6 nations......I want it to happen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Let's wait and see if he gets further than no. 22 for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Let's wait and see if he gets further than no. 22 for Ulster.

Probably more for the Ireland/ Ulster thread but he is ex-Leinster so I'll throw it in here ha

If Madigan can get some consistency into his game again I think it would be a matter of when not if he gets the 10 shirt for Ulster let alone the 22 shirt and he would be in a really positive position to get more caps in green.

What he offers which we haven't seen in years is a combination of reliability, durability and physicality. I feel the lack of rugby he's played in recent years might actually stand to him in this regard - less miles on the clock!

He was a very underrated option at 12 for Leinster and put out some excellent performances there - including European games. Here he showed a willingness and ability to front up against some really physical challenges.

But he is a deceptively strong runner and was always excellent in contact.

Comparing him to the other viable options we have at 10 for Ireland he has the edge. He's a better kicker and much stronger than Carbery.

He's a better carrier and much quicker than Ross Byrne.

He's much more physical and a far superior tackler than Burns.

His tackling and carrying would also put him ahead of Carty for me too.

Of course all of this is moot if he can't get back to the level of his better days in blue. But he has kept himself in good shape and I think McFarland is a brilliant coach who's been getting the very best out of his players.

Also - this Saturday cannot come quick enough!! I cannot wait

Presumably the team is going to be something along the lines of

1) Healy
    2) Kelleher
    3) Furlong
    4) Fardy
    5) Toner
    6) Ruddock
    7) VDF
    8) Conan
    9) McGrath
    10) Sexton
    11) Lowe
    12) Henshaw
    13) Ringrose
    14) D Kearney
    15) Larmour
    16) Cronin
    17) E Byrne
    18) Porter
    19) Baird
    20) Can't call this one!
    21) JGP
    22) R Byrne
    23) R Kearney

I think Ruddock still offers a lot of the grit that you need against Munster. But could just as easily see Deegan there

Conan hasn't played in 10 months - starting 8 might be a big step - possibly see Doris there too

20 shirt could go to any of Leavy, Conan, Deegan, Doris or Ruddock depending on who starts.

Not sure Rob is the best man for the 23 shirt - but I do think he offers enough and deserves a send off.

Do Leo and Stu go for consistency for the tail end of the season and rotate only a few guys between games or do they rotate a lot and get as many players meaningful minutes as they can?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Probably more for the Ireland/ Ulster thread but he is ex-Leinster so I'll throw it in here ha

If Madigan can get some consistency into his game again I think it would be a matter of when not if he gets the 10 shirt for Ulster let alone the 22 shirt and he would be in a really positive position to get more caps in green.

What he offers which we haven't seen in years is a combination of reliability, durability and physicality. I feel the lack of rugby he's played in recent years might actually stand to him in this regard - less miles on the clock!

He was a very underrated option at 12 for Leinster and put out some excellent performances there - including European games. Here he showed a willingness and ability to front up against some really physical challenges.

But he is a deceptively strong runner and was always excellent in contact.

Comparing him to the other viable options we have at 10 for Ireland he has the edge. He's a better kicker and much stronger than Carbery.

He's a better carrier and much quicker than Ross Byrne.

He's much more physical and a far superior tackler than Burns.

His tackling and carrying would also put him ahead of Carty for me too.

Of course all of this is moot if he can't get back to the level of his better days in blue. But he has kept himself in good shape and I think McFarland is a brilliant coach who's been getting the very best out of his players.
    I think this is all a bit wishful thinking, this is the same player who couldn't get his game for Bristol or Bordeaux

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    I think this is all a bit wishful thanking, this is the same player who couldn't get his game for Bristol or Bordeaux

It's absolutely wishful thinking! Sadly I haven't had anything to do but speculate for 6 months. I've gotten pretty good at it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He bit in....

Don't bite in Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 19,962 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Also - this Saturday cannot come quick enough!! I cannot wait

Presumably the team is going to be something along the lines of

1) Healy
    2) Kelleher
    3) Furlong
    4) Fardy
    5) Toner
    6) Ruddock
    7) VDF
    8) Conan
    9) McGrath
    10) Sexton
    11) Lowe
    12) Henshaw
    13) Ringrose
    14) D Kearney
    15) Larmour
    16) Cronin
    17) E Byrne
    18) Porter
    19) Baird
    20) Can't call this one!
    21) JGP
    22) R Byrne
    23) R Kearney

I think that's probably the strongest 22 and would be the choice for champions cup but given the need to rotate players and give everyone game time, plus the fact that Leinster are already qualified in the Pro 14, I'd say they will mix the team up even for the Munster match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

AdamD wrote: »
    I think this is all a bit wishful thinking, this is the same player who couldn't get his game for Bristol or Bordeaux

He couldn’t nail down the starting jersey at Leinster either. Against a similar type player who has ended up not playing 10 either since he left Leinster. Ross Byrne is already a far superior 10 than Madigan ever was or will be. Unfortunately he is too slow to be a real attacking threat. Madigan is a superb utility back but not a great 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

stephen_n wrote: »
    He couldn’t nail down the starting jersey at Leinster either. Against a similar type player who has ended up not playing 10 either since he left Leinster. Ross Byrne is already a far superior 10 than Madigan ever was or will be. Unfortunately he is too slow to be a real attacking threat. Madigan is a superb utility back but not a great 10.

He has a contract for a year to allow Lowry and Johnston time to develop. Same for Mathewson as regards allowing Finlay (and possibly Stewart) to start to leapfrog Shanahan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

degsie wrote: »
    Anybody else on here win in the #Lineout4Leinster competition? Have to say I'm looking forward to the event!

Yep me too. Looking forward to it, should be a bit of fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

1917811.jpg
    1917802.jpg

1917784.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

1917811.jpg
    1917802.jpg

Ryan has some very impressive legs, even more impressive considering he's 6'7".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yep me too. Looking forward to it, should be a bit of fun :)

Me too.

Hoping the game still goes ahead given the senior munster player who tested positive and any knock on effect that may have to the rest of the squad.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Me too.

Hoping the game still goes ahead given the senior munster player who tested positive and any knock on effect that may have to the rest of the squad.

There was no senior munster player who tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Me too.

a senior munster player didnt test positive. they live with an academy player who tested positive and are isolating as a result

Apologies - got that confused.

Another injury from LR on facebook :(

Confirmation today that Conor O'Brien will be unavailable for a number of months after undergoing a procedure on a hamstring issue.

Get well soon, Conor. 🔵👊

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Apologies - got that confused.

Another injury from LR on facebook :(

Confirmation today that Conor O'Brien will be unavailable for a number of months after undergoing a procedure on a hamstring issue.

Get well soon, Conor. 🔵👊

That's a big enough blow. With Tomane gone, we're probably a bit light at inside centre during the international windows now that COB is out. I'd imagine it'll be either ROL or one of Jimmy/Tommy O'B, who are all outside centres really, or potentially Frawley?

Frawley has been playing 12 primarily in training FYI

• Advertisement

Frawley has been playing 12 primarily in training FYI

Possibly reading too much into it but Stu didn't mention Frawley when listing the 10 options in an interview the other week

I wonder are they looking at him at 12 going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 19,962 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

A lot of leinster players picking up significant injuries. Vakh having surgery on his back, Mcfadden calf injury estimated 6weeks, James Ryan significant (hamstring?) injury estimated 12 weeks. Connor o brien surgery on hamstring.

I gather Dan Leavy has had more difficulty than expected with his return to training. Back at the start of the pandemic they said that next time they play, he'll be in the squad. Now it's months later and he's still returning to full training.

I thought this break would be great for the players to have a proper rest and heal the injuries. Maybe it will be good for the ones who managed to avoid getting injured as they get back to full training.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0817/1159656-mcfadden-ruled-out-for-six-weeks-with-calf-injury/

James Ryan injured his shoulder.

A lot of leinster players picking up significant injuries. Vakh having surgery on his back, Mcfadden calf injury estimated 6weeks, James Ryan significant (hamstring?) injury estimated 12 weeks. Connor o brien surgery on hamstring.

I gather Dan Leavy has had more difficulty than expected with his return to training. Back at the start of the pandemic they said that next time they play, he'll be in the squad. Now it's months later and he's still returning to full training.

I thought this break would be great for the players to have a proper rest and heal the injuries. Maybe it will be good for the ones who managed to avoid getting injured as they get back to full training.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0817/1159656-mcfadden-ruled-out-for-six-weeks-with-calf-injury/

Only one of those injuries has been picked up since lock down - namely James Ryan dislocating his shoulder in training.

Vakh and COB have both had longstanding issues on their respective injuries.

McFadden also had problems with his calves and it is not uncommon in 34 year old outside backs.

Keep in mind that during the significant lockdown period, these felllas we're all training unsupervised. While they were obviously given instructions and guidance by physios and s&c staff but ultimately it was a massive compromise to the way an high performance team operate. There were bound to be issues.

Leavy was barely running on the pitch by the time the season was pulled and the players had to disperse. He'd need contact work before he can get back. They emphatically did NOT say "the next time we play he'd be in the squad". He was targeting a game back before the end of the season.

Also - regarding the injuries players have picked up over lockdown. Countless rugby players manage injuries during the season with the aim to rehab or get operated on over the summer. Those managing injuries in Feb may have been trying to get to the end of the season and then found that they weren't able to rehab properly or effectively as they had no physical contact with the physio.

To compound these issues further, all elective surgeries were cancelled over lockdown as the health service struggled to deal with the pandemic. It's why Henderson only had his hip done recently. Same as why Roux only had his hand done in late July

You're trying very hard to find a pattern with a very small sample size that really isn't relevant either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Possibly reading too much into it but Stu didn't mention Frawley when listing the 10 options in an interview the other week

I wonder are they looking at him at 12 going forward

That would be a welcome change. He could be a good playmaking alternative to Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Frawley has to look at other options if he wants to have a future at Leinster. He's realistically looking at being 4th choice outhalf next season but has experience at 15 and 12 where he could offer something different. His execution and pass selection simply isn't up to scratch to play outhalf consistently. Maybe that will improve with time but, with Tomane gone and COB injured for the next 2-3 months, he has a real opportunity to show his ability in the centre.

In terms of established, proven options, Leinster are quite light outside of the first choice players in the back line. Take Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe, DK and Larmour out of the picture and it's very much up for grabs across the board. ROL is the highest profile player next off the line and has had a lot of injury problems in recent times. There's no reason that Frawley couldn't finish the season having made a very strong case for wearing the 23 jersey for big games.

Buer wrote: »
    Frawley has to look at other options if he wants to have a future at Leinster. He's realistically looking at being 4th choice outhalf next season but has experience at 15 and 12 where he could offer something different. His execution and pass selection simply isn't up to scratch to play outhalf consistently. Maybe that will improve with time but, with Tomane gone and COB injured for the next 2-3 months, he has a real opportunity to show his ability in the centre.

In terms of established, proven options, Leinster are quite light outside of the first choice players in the back line. Take Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe, DK and Larmour out of the picture and it's very much up for grabs across the board. ROL is the highest profile player next off the line and has had a lot of injury problems in recent times. There's no reason that Frawley couldn't finish the season having made a very strong case for wearing the 23 jersey for big games.

Need to start blooding some new European level players. Losing Tomane, Kearney, Daly and McFadden and not having A Byrne or COB (possibly being a bit generous about him being European level) for the foreseeable means there are some high level minutes up for grabs.

Keenan well able to make the step up imminently IMO.

Think JOB and Frawley will need to step up - both have the fundamentals to thrive.

Kelleher has been a nearly man for the last 6 years. Time is now as good as any to prove he can thrive at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »

I could easily see Frawley moving to Munster as a stopgap for a year or so, replacing a Scannell or Haley who are out of contract. A lot depends on how Healy, Flannery and Crowley are developing in the academy.

New EPRC rules temporarily scrapping the rule about how many non EU players you can have in a squad for the knockouts.......mmmmmm

https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/08/18/epcr-player-registration-and-rule-changes-for-2019-20-knockout-stages/

• Advertisement

I could easily see Frawley moving to Munster as a stopgap for a year or so, replacing a Scannell or Haley who are out of contract. A lot depends on how Healy, Flannery and Crowley are developing in the academy.

why would he move to Munster to be a stop gap?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement