Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

james ryan absent from training fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No strapping either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    No strapping either

A lot of players coming back from serious injuries don't use strapping as they've spent the last; years in Leavys case, getting used to it and repairing it. The knee then becomes dependent on the strapping to play or train. Better to go without it and use it if necessary on gameday or if its getting sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Dunney848 wrote: »
    I would but 95% of Connors tackles are around the ankles. It’s a misnomer that he makes so many dominant tackles.

Point is if we do an audit of our weaknesses there are many areas a team like Sarries or England (international) can beat us. I think Ringrose goes for the winding arc too much also on the outside shoulder when the flat direct route against these teams gets us going forward in the wider channels.

These are players which are our strongest players but people on forums lash into you if you are in any way analytical or critical of their weaknesses. There are some players where criticism is off limits but if we are to take a cold sober look at ourselves could do tiny amendments to their games that could change the course of matches

Don't know about them being around the ankles. He doesn't smash people up high Polynesian-style using pure physicality, but it's not all daisycutter tackles either. He comes in aggressively and with good technique and hits people in the legs, at waist height or in the midriff - underneath the centre of gravity, basically, so it's easier to win the collision. People in the Leinster camp have come out and said that he's topping the in-house charts they keep for dominant tackles.

My own criticism of Ringrose is that he's not a patch on BOD in terms of drawing defenders in to himself and then passing so others are put in space.

I've heard it said, forget where now, that England have come to the conclusion that shutting down the 13 is key to nullifying Ireland's attack.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Don't know about them being around the ankles. He doesn't smash people up high Polynesian-style using pure physicality, but it's not all daisycutter tackles either. He comes in aggressively and with good technique and hits people in the legs, at waist height or in the midriff - underneath the centre of gravity, basically, so it's easier to win the collision. People in the Leinster camp have come out and said that he's topping the in-house charts they keep for dominant tackles.

My own criticism of Ringrose is that he's not a patch on BOD in terms of drawing defenders in to himself and then passing so others are put in space.

I've heard it said, forget where now, that England have come to the conclusion that shutting down the 13 is key to nullifying Ireland's attack.

I think our forwards inability to win collisions and provide quality ball for the backs might be a bigger issue.

Ringrose's greatest strengths are his stepping and linebreaking. But in general he's always been pretty good at drawing the defender in and passing wide. Saracens error notwithstanding ofc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The big moments in the game Leinster did not finish off. THe kick before half time which allowed Sarries back in. The break after half time when Ringrose didnt spot the runner

After that Sarries just closed out the game as we had to chase it, never a good way to be against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

stephen_n wrote: »

Some of those kids are presumably no longer even school children. What a waste of time.
    Had to tap in to see who he is, Green Party with their finger on the pulse.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Good grief.

Not sure I see the point albeit I can imagine a lot of the players involved would be desperate for it to go ahead. Between school leavers and lads that haven't done a tap of training in months I don't think it's feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Not sure I see the point albeit I can imagine a lot of the players involved would be desperate for it to go ahead. Between school leavers and lads that haven't done a tap of training in months I don't think it's feasible.

It's shameless electioneering. Vincent was an unsuccessful candidate in Kildare in the last election. Why else would he be tweeting @ all the local clubs?

Pathetic.

It's shameless electioneering. Vincent was an unsuccessful candidate in Kildare in the last election. Why else would he be tweeting @ all the local clubs?

Pathetic.

I've no doubt there is a load of virtue signalling going on, but I'm talking about the actual feasibility of playing the fixture?

That petition at the start of covid was laughable but I can see why a lot of people would be invested in getting the game played.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I've no doubt there is a load of virtue signalling going on, but I'm talking about the actual feasibility of playing the fixture?

That petition at the start of covid was laughable but I can see why a lot of people would be invested in getting the game played.
    Plenty who would be due to play are now not even students as they are finished in school and will be in 3rd level. Every competition in domestic rugby was stopped. If we are to play this fixture then we should have to play all the other finals that were due to be played.
    There is no chance it should or will be played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Ryan's shoulder dislocated per Independent - statement tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Balls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Dear God is yer man for real? Frightening that he is in the position that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well, Fardy and Toner it is; although you cannot replace Ryan we can mitigate against his absence. Hopefully Baird sees some game time now too.

It's going to be fascinating to see what back row is selected for the first knock out game. VDF or Leavy? Conan or Doris? Does Ruddock get a look in?

I'm thinking they'll go with VDF, Conan and Ruddock to start against Munster and possibly a whole new back row the next week against Ulster with Doris, Leavy and maybe Josh Murphy. It's likely to be a dead rubber anyway so it will be a good opportunity to spread game time and get minutes into some legs before the knock out games.

The guys who don't get a start in those few weeks though will be very quickly wondering if they've a future in blue, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Dislocated shoulder for Ryan, apparently. That's probably three or four months out, so back for December, hopefully. That's not too bad, I suppose. The big test will be trying to overcome Saracens without him. I suppose that's Toner and Fardy starting, with Baird on the bench then. Or will Baird be able to supercede Fardy? Interesting times.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ireland-second-row-james-ryan-dislocates-shoulder-but-details-sketchy-on-severity-of-injury-39416852.html

You called it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If Dooley and Abdaladze are both out for the next few weeks, Bent could become a key player for Leinster in the close out of this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Buer wrote: »
    If Dooley and Abdaladze are both out for the next few weeks, Bent could become a key player for Leinster in the close out of this season.

I'm not following your logic. I think Byrne would be selected ahead of Bent at loosehead if Dooley was unavailable. Maybe Milne would be as well. And Abdaladze is behind Bent in the pecking order at tighthead and was unlikely to feature in the XXIII in big games, so an injury to him doesn't really change things for Bent?

Bent will continue to be an important squad player, but, apart from making it more important that he himself doesn't get hurt, I'm not sure how that importance is increased by injuries to Abdaladze and Dooley.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ryan seems to be making very good progress in his recovery from shoulder dislocation.
    Could be back for September.

Prognosis on Abdaladze doesn't sound good at all.

http://the42.ie/5168727

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

ongarite wrote: »
    Ryan seems to be making very good progress in his recovery from shoulder dislocation.
    Could be back for September.

Prognosis on Abdaladze doesn't sound good at all.

http://the42.ie/5168727

Ryan was injured almost 6 weeks ago it seems and had surgery immediately.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ryan was injured almost 6 weeks ago it seems and had surgery immediately.

Why the odd communication on it I wonder?

I know we were all in lockdown etc. and they are only "officially" back a short while , but it seems odd to announce a 12 week layoff this week and then a few days later to say "well it's still 12 weeks , but that clock started 6 weeks ago"

Don't get me wrong , great news but odd all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well they press release said the below, clearly called out it was before they stopped everything and the 10 -12 weeks would be taken from when it occured/the procedure which wouldn't have been long after. It seems to have been misinterpreted by journalists.

Ryan suffered a shoulder injury in training before the recent break and had a procedure to address the issue. He will be out of action for up to 10-12 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement