Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

Did Leinster actually go through much effort bringing him over originally?

QDKpgQS.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

QDKpgQS.png

You busy this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

With Salanoa & Aungier gone.

TH Prop next season:
    Tadhg Furlong(27/New Ross RFC/Clontarf)
    Andrew Porter(24/St. Andrews/UCD)
    Michael Bent(34/New Zealand)
    Vakh Albadaze(24/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf)
    --
    Tom Clarkson(20/Blackrock/DUFC)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

With Salanoa gone.

TH Prop next season:
    Tadhg Furlong(27/New Ross RFC/Clontarf)
    Andrew Porter(24/St. Andrews/UCD)
    Michael Bent(34/New Zealand)
    Vakh Albadaze(24/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf)
    Jack Aungier(21/Suttonians RFC/Clontarf)
    --
    Tom Clarkson(20/Blackrock/DUFC)

That's pretty well stocked, to be fair. A bit frustrating but nothing to worry about. It's just a consequence of leinster having such a great system that thy end up with too many good prospects.

I wish him well and I'm happy for Munster to be getting a good prospect. They haven't had an Ireland standard TH in a while.

Especially given Clarkson is such an impressive prospect.

• Advertisement

That's pretty well stocked, to be fair. A bit frustrating but nothing to worry about. It's just a consequence of leinster having such a great system that thy end up with too many good prospects.

I wish him well and I'm happy for Munster to be getting a good prospect. They haven't had an Ireland standard TH in a while.

He is miles away from being international standard.

Hence calling him a good prospect.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It will be an interesting decision for him - Technically he's Irish qualified from next year as he can qualify under the 3 year rule , but I really don't see him making an Irish team , he might though he's only been playing the game for 4 or 5 years so his development curve has been pretty impressive but it's still unlikely.

However , as a full time Pro in Europe he'd make a US match day squad pretty handily I'd think - Certainly a shoo-in for a World Cup squad in a couple of years if he stays healthy.

So , does he take a potential offer from the US for a snr Cap but then make himself an overseas player for Munster making his contract more difficult to keep on or does he stay technically "Irish qualified" but never actually get capped for anyone?

LEINSTER ACADEMY TIGHTHEAD prop Jack Aungier is set to join Connacht ahead of next season.

https://www.the42.ie/jack-aungier-leinster-connacht-5098637-May2020/

Leinsters reward for developing talent, to be plundered by rival provinces and left light during internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Didn't mind losing Salanoa. He's 23 this year and really still very raw in his development. He could be 25 before he's ready to feature in match day squads.

Aungier is a different story though. He was straight into the academy from school and a good prospect. He still had a long way to go but I was impressed by his work rate around the field and he showed up well coming off the bench in some real dogfights this season. He featured in all of our away games in Glasgow, Ospreys and Munster. At 21, he had a decent future ahead of him, I reckon.

That's both of our academy tightheads gone to other provinces now. With Porter and Furlong gone, we're now left with Bent, Abdaladze and Clarkson as our only tightheads between senior and academy panels, assuming Bent does re-sign. Options aren't exactly thick on the ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Should make for some interesting times during international periods. And judging by the talk, that could be half the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's hard to stomach losing young players you've taken the time to develop. But it isn't as bad as losing first teamers or sure fire future internationals. The Carbery one was far worse.

I dread the thought of the IRFU putting pressure on a Doris or Deegan.

Clegg wrote: »
    It's hard to stomach losing young players you've taken the time to develop. But it isn't as bad as losing first teamers or sure fire future internationals. The Carbery one was far worse.

I dread the thought of the IRFU putting pressure on a Doris or Deegan.

Only a matter of time.

Frawley is another I'd hate to see go. Has potential to be a very good 12/15.

Only a matter of time.

Maybe. It's going to be a straight shoot out between Conan and Doris for the 8 jersey. I can see Deegan developing into a good 6 with continued game time there. Doesn't have the frame of a typical blindside, but has a rounded skillset to excel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinsters reward for developing talent, to be plundered by rival provinces and left light during internationals.

Ye poor craturs. How dare those players exercise free will.

Unfortunately for Leinster this is just a side effect of having a top level starter (27 years old) and replacement (24 years old) in their 23 who are nowhere close to slowing down or retiring. If young players behind them feel there is no prospect of breaking into the side then can you blame them for leaving? The more years they spend not playing the more their value plummets.

Losing two young players at the same time in the same position is a dose but it's because the players ahead of them are excellent, not because Leinster can't compete financially or are a basket case club.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Ostensibly it's a good move for the two lads if, and it's a big IF, their development continues AND they get meaningful game time. I think Aungier will go on to be a 20+ caps player.

On the other hand, and I will get shot down for this, is the IRFU not just cannibalizing resources here? At one stage at least, the provinces' raison d'etre was to produce players for the Irish representative teams, no? Are Munster doing enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Another way of looking at it is that Leinster signed too many tightheads and weren’t able to keep them all happy.

LEINSTER ACADEMY TIGHTHEAD prop Jack Aungier is set to join Connacht ahead of next season.

https://www.the42.ie/jack-aungier-leinster-connacht-5098637-May2020/

That's a step too far. Two prospects from the same position is too much. Now they're beginning to look like they're just using the Leinster academy for the whole country. Why would Connacht bother to improve the academy if they can rely on a stream of young talent developed in the Leinster academy?

I'm fine with them moving excess players different positions but not two from the same position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Another way of looking at it is that Leinster signed too many tightheads/QUOTE]

Developed. Developed too many tightheads, perhaps...

Another way of looking at it is that Leinster signed too many tightheads and weren’t able to keep them all happy.

signed from who?

Leinster would have been better off not trying to retain Salanoa and backing Aungier.. Backfired on them thanks to IRFU interference.

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Ostensibly it's a good move for the two lads if, and it's a big IF, their development continues AND they get meaningful game time. I think Aungier will go on to be a 20+ caps player.

On the other hand, and I will get shot down for this, is the IRFU not just cannibalizing resources here? At one stage at least, the provinces' raison d'etre was to produce players for the Irish representative teams, no? Are Munster doing enough?

Of course Munster aren't doing enough. They haven't brought through a sure fire test starter in a about a decade. They had the Murray/POM/Zebo cohort all.comw through around the same time. Been barren since. A few players who've gone on to win caps, but nothing special there.

Still have huge reservations about the Carbery move also. Not just from a standpoint of us losing him, but also on grounds of his own development as a player. They aren't the right side to get the most of his talent. Far too one dimensional in how they play. It's the same story with Beirne. You'll get great performances out of him, but I don't think they use him to his full ability. That might change if they move him to 6 following the signing of Snyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

signed from who?

Leinster would have been better off not trying to retain Salanoa and backing Aungier.. Backfired on them thanks to IRFU interference.

Aungier was looking at being one of seven tightheads competing for gametime next season, is it a surprise that he would be amenable to moving elsewhere?

Aungier was looking at being one of seven tightheads competing for gametime next season, is it a surprise that he would be amenable to moving elsewhere?

I don't blame Aungier for leaving nor Salanoa.. both have Clarkson coming up behind them and know they face an uphill battle for game time.

But would Aungier have left he knew Salanoa was gone? We won't know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Still have huge reservations about the Carbery move also. Not just from a standpoint of us losing him, but also on grounds of his own development as a player. They aren't the right side to get the most of his talent. Far too one dimensional in how they play.

There was a very noticeable change in how Munster attack this season, under Larkham. Add in that Carbery has started exactly 1 game with him as attack coach, due to his injury problems.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Of course Munster aren't doing enough. They haven't brought through a sure fire test starter in a about a decade. They had the Murray/POM/Zebo cohort all.comw through around the same time. Been barren since. A few players who've gone on to win caps, but nothing special there.

Still have huge reservations about the Carbery move also. Not just from a standpoint of us losing him, but also on grounds of his own development as a player. They aren't the right side to get the most of his talent. Far too one dimensional in how they play.

The Munster academy aren't even producing that many front line provincial starters..It's a mess sadly

I don't blame Aungier for leaving nor Salanoa.. both have Clarkson coming up behind them and know they face an uphill battle for game time.

But would Aungier have left he knew Salanoa was gone? We won't know.

Apparently the Aungier deal was done 1st, which is why Leinster are unhappy with the Salanoa move.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few more announcements/rumours over the coming months due to the current situation, I'd imagine the IRFU will be trying to keep foreign signings to a minimum and fill gaps/weaknesses from other provinces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am sad to lose Aungier. He was the linchpin of that incredible St Fintans team and I wanted that story to end with him at Leinster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement