Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm planning the same as soon as I can get the outstanding credit issued as a cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭fits

You still didn’t get that?! I got it in January. Did dealer submit paperwork?

We're coming to the end of the Airtricity credit, haven't paid a cent for electricity since we got the credit, was it January I got it or end of December maybe ? can't rem but almost used up now I suppose a lot to do with getting a substantial amount of free work charging but not as much the last month or two because I've been on the site with just an outdoor socket they call an "ev charger" They have absolutely no drive to get in proper charge points.

Airtricity announced a 45% increase from October + 8% standing charge ( on top of recent increased ) which is disgraceful cashing in on massive electricity prices with an 8% in standing charges, absolute joke.

The Government still refuse to offer a FIT and I refuse to spend money on solar PV on energy we can't use giving it away to the ESB for free.

I'll be heading to the site with the 11 Kw chargers more often even if it's more inconvenient to get there and back.

From 1 October 2022 we’re increasing our electricity standard unit rates by 45.2% and our electricity standing charge by 8%. Increase based on 24hr meter,

This shows the priced valid from October.

Day 32.32

Night 20.48

It's a long way off what I was paying with Energia , 17 Day and 7 Night

We're stuck with them until January but at least we got 8 or will get around 8.5 months of free electricity so can't complain too much but it's going to be very difficult to expect less well off families to pay these prices and heating in the Winter not to mention higher Petrol and Diesel costs.

We're in the process of getting a pellet stove boiler because it's 2.5-3 times cheaper per Kwh than oil, it's an investment, we had to replace most of the rads, we had a good bit of work to do so decided to get out the Oil stove in the Kitchen and replaces it with a Klover pellet boiler stove and plumb that in to the heating. There really is no other option and at least the pelets are local and the prices will go up with electricity costs because the saw mill uses a lot of electricity. So with the current price hike the pellets will go up in price too.

The Government still refuse to reduce VAT on sky rocketing energy costs telling us the E.U won't allow it, well nice of them considering it's the E.U solely responsible for these hikes with their sanctions not caring about the hardship it's half a billion citizens are going to go through this Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,930 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

€50 breakage fee on Board Gais. I assume it's similar with all providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭eagerv

You are lucky having an outdoor work socket, surely with the granny you are able to get about 15kWh or so per working day? About 100km, not to be sniffed at..😏

You would need some solar array to average that amount of surplus.

• Advertisement

So lets work this out now, I've 35,600 Kms on the car in 10 months since I got it last October so lets see the cost to drive over this distance or the 40,000 I'll probably have on it by Mid October.

Say, average of 18 Kwh/100 Kms = 5.55 Kms per Kwh x 40,000 Kms so 40,000 divide by 5.55 = 7, 207 Kwh or 7.2 Mwh.

The new Night rate 20.48 x 7,202 = 1,474 Euro's + about 10% due to charging inefficiency and not even taking into account any needed Preheating while plugged in = 1,621 Euro's , Electrics do not count pre-heating from battery power. But most modern Car charge points record the Kwh used per charge including inefficacy as it's the total the charge point has sent to the car.

Compared to Energia just what, a year ago maybe bit more, 7.4 Cent per Kwh would cost 532 Euro's.

Diesel at 50 Mpg Imp or 5.64 L/100 kms 17.700 Kms per Litre needing 2,259 litres of diesel at what 1.95 ? = 4,472 Euros

So still a substantial saving over Diesel I suppose that would be 2,851 Euro saving over diesel, all these are based on averages of course.

You can get better mileage probably in a 1.6L super mini but I'd say 5.6 L/100 Kms would be a good sensible figure for a family car and probably less if doing a lot of town driving.

So far this month I have used 220.11 Kwh to commute Carlow/Dublin and non work related driving.

July I used 324.61 Kwh

Which seems to be about what you can get from granny charging (If charging for total of working day 5 days per week..)☺️

Solar array isn't viable in my opinion without a FIT because we couldn't use the energy during the day, especially in Summer, dumping it isn't a solution IMO either because that's a waste of energy we could get credit for via FIT and buy back when we need it. A battery isn't a real solution either as it would be far too small for excess in Winter.

2 Electric cars would be good, charge one during the day and drive it the next lol

Solar would reduce bills but the waste would be terrible so the advantage of solar but not the advantage of being able to use when needed and I hear that even the batteries they provide are crap and can't even provide more than maybe a kw of sustained power when cooking, never mind when you have the Oven + few hobs on.

Yeah on that one site in Grangecastle on the Interxion Data Centre site I get 3 pin plug giving me 2 Kw max and 1.8 Kw to the car so get roughly 14.4 Kwh per day, nothing to sniff at but they shouldn't be so miserable and install proper charge points like most other Data Centre owners.

Equinix, Microsoft, Google, Facebook K2, Keppel etc all have proper charge points.

I might go up Tuesday to The Equinix site up near the Airport and juice her up. Pity the id.3 77 Kwh doesn;t have a 20 Kw charger.

Be good if businesses had 20 Kw DC chargers either would make a big difference because I can't always hang around all day waiting for another charge and might have to go to the other site.

Never happy! lol

yeah, so if I pull 2 kw per hr over the 8 Hrs I'd get 16 Kwh x 5 = 320 Kwh per month over 5 days and 4 weeks. Nothing to sniff at.

But in reality I can be on the other site with 11 Kw charging at times too so could get more than that.

• Advertisement

Well the other issue is price increases and I can imagine that getting much worse with the soaring cost of Gas.

Can only imagine how the German companies are going to manage with gas shortages, it might even slow down production even more or worse cause plants to shut altogether.

They certainly didn't think hard enough about sanctions, God only knows what's going to happen if the Gas is shut off altogether.

Perhaps it's time for the Irish Government to increase Oil and Gas exploration instead of forbidding it the arseholes.

I think you are a bit spoiled lol. Your use case doesn't seem ideal for solar, if wanting to put the surplus into car, but it's still worth it if even just a small array which with a small battery should keep your house going until cheap rate electricity time.

Yeah I got the credit, and have €450 of it left. But generally speaking if you get vouchers you can't exchange them for cash which is what I'm asking them to do now. If I leave, then I need to know that they'll give me that credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The Government still refuse to offer a FIT and I refuse to spend money on solar PV on energy we can't use giving it away to the ESB for free.

Where are you getting that from?

FiT is in law since Feb 2022. It is, however, up to the providers how much they give you.

Rates so far range from 14-20c/kWh, which is decent to be fair.

From what I remember it was supposed to be some.sort of regulatory thing that a fit was to be provided and a guarantee for X years and that it wouldn't simply just end after half the Island or more got solar PV and then they'd take in the profits from all the free energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There are two different FiTs, called CEG and CEP. That discussion is for a different thread though!

But the statement that the govt are refusing to introduce FiT is just wrong. Have a look over in the renewable forum. Thread dedicated to it. Payments backdated to Feb 2022 are imminent (if you qualify)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You can get like 19c/kWh from Energia with solar panels AFAIK, it's all over in the renewables thread

I heard you don't qualify if you're on the Energia EV plan, but there's conflicting reports

If you haven't been offered a smart meter yet you'll get deemed export, which just means they'll estimate your export from the size of your array

The one thing is if you refused a smart meter then you aren't eligible for the FIT from any provider

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I mean why not keep the current one? The 1st editions were a great deal compared to the price of the newer ones I'd say

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

VW/SSE had a deal last year, buy an ID3 or ID4 and get €675 credit.

I didn't refuse a smart meter because I wasn't offered but I hadn't intended getting one because they screw you with a 3rd more expensive peak band when they know you're be cooking dinner!

We're not quite sure yet whether we're going to get the roof raised and make a proper upstairs compared to having low headroom and small space currently in the attic or demolish the conservatory and make it a proper usable room because it causes considerable heat loss or maybe both. Anyway that will all be some time away but it would be mad to put solar pv on the roof to have to take it off and put it back up again, an alternative would be put it on some kind of stand in the back garden but this might add additional cost.

wont have to put any money to get new one and my rate on pcp should go down too even with higher cost of new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kelvin64

I had my ID.3 in for software update at Blackwater motors on Cork - No issues - 2 Day job, got it back when they told me.

Absolutely hated the T-ROC they gave me while the job got done, took me a minute to remember how to use a clutch 🤣

After the update, locations I configure disappear every day - I thought this update was supposed to fix this?? Maybe they will finally get it right in 3.0?

i did mine last week also. didnt take replacement car exactly for the reasons you have listed. hated driving Polo they gave me last time.

I wouldn't have minded the polo if they had given me one with a decent engine and at least cruise control, the travel assist certainly has me spoiled lol.

I haven't heard back from my dealer since they cancelled my update a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Can anyone recommend a Dublin-area dealer that did the 2.4/12v battery upgrade for you with minimal hassle and delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Comer1

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Joe Duffy Swords did my ID 4 in just over a day, and they said most updates are taking a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭rx8

I would 2nd Joe Duffy in Swords too. Very nice to deal with. Only downside was that they gave me a truly awful VW Caddy as a loaner.

Advertisement