Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The 58kWh ID.3 wont have an issue with that 200km round trip all year round. No stops or destination charging required. Just charge at home and off you go.

The advice about <20% and 100% are only to not leave the car in those states for long periods of time.... like days on end. Having the car fully charged to 100% at 7am for your commute to Limerick at 7:30am is perfectly fine and acceptable. No issue with driving the car down to <10% either... just dont leave it in that state for days... charge it up that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

It's about 4-ish months at the moment due to a multitude of factors - high demand, supply constraints and shipping delays. Honestly though, if you're waiting a month for a test drive - go to another dealer. I assume it might be because the dealer knows what the delay is like and doesn't want the hassle (especially with trade-ins or not using PCP). I went to three different ones and was offered a test-drive within 24 hours.

Price list wise, best to check the brochure as that'll break down prices a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the one I bought at the weekend "was in production" they made it sound like we would have it by the end of Aug, Ill assume he was being honest

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I saw your comment on the video.

When he was on the way home it looked like he was driving on motorway but he hardly bypassed Enniscothy on the way to Carlow as it adds a decent distance onto the journey?

He really should have shown that the car was 100% at the start and then the trip computer at the end.

I find that with a lot of Bobs EV videos. It's like he doesn't spend 10-20 minutes becoming familiar with an EV before he gets in and drives and then just complains about silly things.

Its why I prefer Nobby's videos. At least he seems familiar with the general layout and operation of most EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jogdish

Thanks, literally was thinking will the headlights at night leave me stuck on the motorway and will I need a jacket since I can't use the A/C - stupid things but having never done a distance or lived with an EV im clueless. The dealer also agreed with you, once you can charge at home that 200k is not an issue, but you will need to charge at home. I am just worried I am spending a ton on something that will annoy me in my commute all for the sake of 'shiny/new'

• Advertisement

He does make a point of saying that he doesnt review/treat EV's as a special case. He wants to sit in and just drive like he would an ICE car... which is a fair point if we expect mass adoption but at the same time he is a self styled "expert car reviewer" so it does look poorly on him when he doesnt seem to understand some basics.

Nothwithstanding that, he did give it a glowing review!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Don't think you will be able to get a straight answer regarding lead times, seems to vary a lot and that is not just for cars. Don't know where you are located but we certainly had no problem getting a test drive and the dealer currently has life, style and family models listed on there website.

Granted these are all above the 30k. Are you looking to do a straight purchase? The current 0% finance makes this a good option at the minute.

Recently had the chance to sit in a Life base model and a Family model, and saw Moonstone grey colour and stonewashed blue, nothing major but on the off chance anyone wants to ask about the feel of either model.

No, fear not. It will be a pleasure to drive that 200km's. Adaptive cruise control on and relax! :)

On the topic of lights, radio, wipers, a/c.... they play no part really in the range of the car. They use so little power that you wouldnt notice the difference whether they are on or off.

What does significantly affect range are... wet roads, high speed and cabin heating (not cooling).

Not much you can do about wet roads.

You wont have an issue with high speed on your 200km commute... drive at whatever speed you wish really as its well within the cars ability all year round.

Cabin heating can be counteracted by pre-heating the cabin at home while its plugged in. Again, not really an issue for you on your daily drive as you wont be short on range but if, for instance, you were driving somewhere else (e.g. Dublin) and you were going to be close to the range of the car it would make sense to pre-heat the cabin at home so that less of the cars battery would be used to heat the cabin while on the road.... plus its nice to get into a warm car while your neighbors are out with their ice scrapers!

Had to make use of the emergency charge cable release when trying to use the 50kw at Galway Plaza. Plugged cable in and could not initiate charge and light went red and nothing would release it. Phoned Ecars with no joy, locked/unlocked car no joy and had to resort to opening the little boot lining to find the release cable. Charger then promptly went off line on the app so seems to have been an issue somewhere.

For those ever needing to do same - On the right hand side of the boot there is a little square of the liner fabric pre-cut with a little plastic tag on it that needs to be pulled to gain access to the release handle which is a yellow coloured cable inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Current state of play appears to be:

1. No haggling on the price of these cars (though there is quite a bit of variance on what dealers offer for trade-ins)
    2. No delivery for cars ordered now before November and a very limited pool of cars outside of those specially ordered (all MY2021).
    3. Prices for MY2021 cars have gone up to MY2022 prices, despite in some circumstances being underspecced (e.g. the Business model which gets alloys and ability to use 125Kw chargers in MY2022).

I'd like a MY2022 Business. Have been offered MY2021 Business models from two separate dealers, neither of which would budge from the MY2022 price...

I've had a charge cable "locked in" before like that, but a double unlock (not a lock/unlock) on the fob did the trick. Did you try that?

tried that alright, no joy this time although it had worked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 OscarBluth

We have a car we'd either like to trade in or sell privately first (circa 8/9k) and then are looking at a 20k loan and a few grand from savings, but since these savings are earmarked for upcoming mat leave hoping to limit it to around 30k. Sounds like I've been a bit naive about lead times etc. We could go finance if it made more sense: were looking at a 6% APR loan, don't like the idea of 'bubble payments' or hire purchase tbh.

We basically want a family car with enough range to do Galway/Belfast on one charge and fit two car seats and usually child paraphernalia without being a massive 4x4. Other option is a second hand e-Kona or e-Niro, or maybe even the estate MG, but the first two also seem out of budget and then there's warranty issues second hand, and the third gets mixed enough reviews.

Also, I see from the spec the rear camera is only in top spec of the id3: is there any way to retrospectively add one? We live down an awkward lane with increasing number of kids out playing and blind spots, it would be really reassuring to have one but they don't seem to be as standard in any cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

For MY2022, all specs have rear camera save: Life (base spec) and Style.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭fits

With two children if I were going ev for our sole car I’d look at e-Niro or ID.4. 0% available on Kia now too and they have cars in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lowkeys

Collected my id3 last week and love it. It's really fun to drive and I do look forward to getting into the car- and I'm not usually a car person. I've been following this thread for the last few months so thanks to all the posters.

I've done quite a bit of driving and really impressed with the range even on motorways. To the poster above who is querying the 200km range having had the car for a week I'd be saying it will easily do that. I do something similar about twice a week for work and while I've been off work for the last few weeks i now gave no worries based on the last few days.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thought the play/pause stuff was supposed to only be for 1st models.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

VW Wexford said they could supply and fit a VW canera for €680 that’d be just like the factory one. But that with all the sensors and park pilot there’s no need. The sensors remove blind spots

How are people finding motorway driving (120kph ), does it eat into range much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's actually tempting me at the minute. The 0% is on HP not PCP but they have cars available immediately.

VW stock shortage is a problem, and their dealer service is absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Your dealer service has been bad but I don't think many of the rest of us has had any problems.

My guy was excellent from day one and I'll definitely be talking to him again in three years time.

Same here. No issues.

Got courtesy cars, prompt followup on emails. Proactive communications on delivery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭fits

My dealer has been fine so far too. No issues and we got a test drive very quickly after contacting them to enquire.

Lol, I just drew the short straw...

Although I haven't been blown away by their customer service team either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Nope. Think they're on most of the models bar the Life. They must have a warehouse full of them somewhere 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

No idea, not complaining mind! I'm trading in my car against it and the price was held til the end of September so if it went past that, i'd be using a spare ICE car from the dealer which I wouldn't be tooooo thrilled about! Dealer offered to hold the car to 2022 if I wanted to but at this point I just want my hands on it.

I'm assuming they've been budgeting in delays and retooling the build lines for the new MY22 models so that probably got sped up a bit. I'm a bit surprised they're still offering O% finance on it given the delays are so long tbh!

I'm trying to get a feel for ranges and journeys, so I googled EV route planners. Anyone have thoughts on these ?

Abetter router planner, easy to use

Zap-Map, I don't get it, seems to keep wanting me to pick the charger regardless of if its needed or not, maybe I'm just expecting something different.

Are either of the above reliable?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Picked mine up last Friday, spinning around dublin and then up north of Drogheda, and then home, all on a single charge. Charged it up and have been using it during the week will probably leave until tomorrow evening to charge, so far so good.

• Advertisement

Well just off the phone to the dealer. Absolutely zero good news.

He has no updates on an end to the semiconductor shortages. The silver car that he currently has on order is in production, but the Tour 5 that he ordered in error was due to be delivered this week, instead it is built and almost ready, but stuck in the semiconductor queue.

So in all likelihood there is nothing to suggest that I'll have a car from him before the end of the year. The silver car was ordered in March and is only hitting production now.

He has also reneged on the offer of a courtesy car. It is now dependent on him getting a concrete answer from VW about the delivery (which he admits he won't get) and he isn't willing to give me a loaner for more than 3-4 weeks.

So unless he is sure he can get me my new car by the end of August, he's going to pull the loaner offer and I'll be left without a car.

Meanwhile I can have my choice of colour in an e-Niro within a week.

Advertisement