Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done to everyone that raced! Great to see all the results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Gosh prospector, take it easy, dehydration can lower blood pressure too, as does heat, be no harm to have BP checked in pharmacy this week

Really enjoyed today, did 2:23, exactly same as last year! Have way more this year. But last year I dragged my self over finished line, this year I was able to push for last two miles , took hills well and felt fine throughout, so that's progress . Still finding it really hard to eat after long runs, had large pasta dish last night at 9pm, and that worked well.

Well done to all,

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Well done to everyone who raced in the half marathon today, great to see so many of you finishing the race in such great shape. It should give everyone extra confidence that their training is working and to keep going for the final weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Well done to every one of you who took part today, whether you raced or LSR'd :)
    A lot of great confidence-boosting performances... I'm really looking forward to more race reports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Sorbet

Brilliant runs today by so many on here - well done. Also to those who did their LSRs. I'd take a half marathon over that any day.

Race report to follow but thought I'd mention one learning for me today. Hated the pace group. I started off with the 2.10 group but left them after a mile. Too crowded and someone playing music over a speaker in the group was wrecking my head (I must be getting old!). So headed off alone and enjoyed pacing myself.

Sorry to miss everyone at the FM104 truck - did a few laps of it but didn't recognise anyone and hadn't the courage to ask people if they were my internet buddies!! See you in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

DHM Race Report
    Overall - Very Happy.
    Up at 6am, Brought the overnight oats on the drive and pulled into applegreen just after half 7 to eat them.
    Turned up in good time, had a leisurely stroll around start area at about half 8. Back to the car then to tog out. Done a gentle warm up of about 1k back to start area for around 9.20, and done a few stretches paying attention to calfs and heels.
    The aim was to run sub2hr, but I really knew I had 1h55m in me if I was going ok, so I started out with that plan. Avg 8:45, so for miles 1 to 3, bank 10-15 secs each mile, miles 4 to 8, go over by a few secs, assess myself after 8 miles and then take it steady around 8:30-8:40 for remainder if I was still OK.
    The race itself I found tough to keep disciplined at the start, had to check myself on a few occasions, probably because it was the largest race I have took part in, numbers-wise.
    Miles 1 to 3 went in a blur, music went on, head into tunnel mode. I probably ran these few miles a few seconds faster than planned. The crowd, the weaving, I remember consciously slowing myself down a few times here.
    Mile1 - 8:29
    Mile2 - 8:16
    Mile3 - 8:18
    Miles 4 to 6 I felt strong, and knew the wind was with us, (blowing directly up Chesterfield Ave) so I ended up banking a few more seconds, I knew I was going to ease off in the next 2 miles, so the extra few seconds were a bonus. Took my gel just before mile 6, took water at all the water stations.
    Mile4 - 8:35
    Mile5 - 8:35
    Mile6 - 8:40
    Miles 7 & 8 were tough, but I knew I had banked well over a minute, so I knew I could ease off, and keep some legs for later on, I thought the 8th mile uphill out the farmleigh gate was never going to end, I found this the toughest section mentally.
    Mile7 - 8:46
    Mile8 - 8:58
    Miles 9 to 12 went OK again, tried to keep it steady, and acknowledge the support at same time, these miles seemed to merge and go by uneventful, lost to memory. Probably started feeling like I was increasing the effort a bit.
    Mile9 - 8:37
    Mile10 - 8:42
    Mile11 - 8:39
    Mile12 - 8:38
    Last mile and a bit was a slog, effort went up again to keep even pace, was happy to keep pace constant here, and even had a good push for last 400m.
    Mile13 - 8:37
    Mile13.15 - 7:45
    Race 1h52m56s
    Very happy with how it went, learned a lot, done a good stretch and changed into dry clothes.
    Spotted people introducing themselves near FM104 truck, so I made enquiries, and was rewarded with an excellent flapjack that hit the spot. Was nice to meet Mr. Guappa, Huzzah!, ReeReeG and Eabha19.
    Had to rush off then, lunch, long spin home, shower, ice and heat buckets, etc. Well done to all in todays race, and those with their own LSR's this weekend. Keep it going for the last few tough weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

DHM Race Report
    I just typed this up and when I went to post got kicked out :mad:

Anyway, this wasn't a great week for me - it felt a bit overwhelmingly busy and some upsetting family issues that had me a bit upside down. Then yesterday I woke up with a sore scratchy throat and my voice totally gone. In fairness I sounded worse than I felt so made a decision to go for it anyway.

This morning I got up at 7, had a bowl of porridge and set off to meet a friend who was driving me. Then realised I had left my race number behind so had to turn back but just glad I remembered before I had gotten too far. We set out from Leixlip at 8:05 thinking we had plenty of time and then my friend took a wrong turn (headed on to m50 and had to turn back over the red cow roundabout and back to n4) and by the time we got to Heuston to park the car we were a bit tighter on time than planned. The walk from Heuston to the start line was a lot longer than we thought so by the time we had dropped the bags it was 9:25 and I still had to wee! The queues were huge of course so by the time I had got out of the loo the race had started.

My plan had been to run with the 2 hour pacer - my last two half marathons were 1:58 and 2 hours so I figured I could manage that again. But because one or two waves had already left I wasn't sure which wave was which and couldn't see the pacers so I went alone. Then I realised that my watch is now in miles and I didn't know what sub 2 hour pace was in miles. Did some quick maths running through the start line and reckoned I should do 9 min miles with a little over for the hillier sections. Also realised that I had left my gel in my bag in the panic to get to the start line but wasn't too worried about that as I wouldn't usually have a gel at a half marathon. I did have two 250 water bottles with a half zero tab in each - one in my flipbelt and one in my hand. I've carried bottles in my flip belt during LSRs but after 20 yards I handed to a man on the sideline for dumping - it was so irritating! Good to know before DCM.

The first three miles had some nice downhills. I kept to 9 miles but by mile 4 I pretty much knew I wasn't going to be able to keep it up. I developed a stitch - it wasn't too bad but it lasted til mile 7 and I just felt uncomfortable. I could also tell that my breathing was more laboured than it should be at this stage.

Mile 8 I think was when we left the park and it was as tough as I remembered from last year but last year the pacers kept me going here and I missed that push today. (it's possible that was mile 10 either - it's becoming a blur to me!!). I took water bottles and sipped where they were available but still found that I ran out between stations and found my lips and mouth felt really dry (a combo of my heavy breathing and sore throat I think). By the last two water stations I was stopping, drinking and pausing before kicking off again.

Mile 12 up that hill was really tough. My brain started spiralling into negativity - I decided I wasn't doing the marathon and I was never running over a 10k again. On top of that I just kept trying to say to myself Dig in Dig in - it certainly didn't produce any great spurt of energy but I didn't walk and kept putting one foot in front of the other. Those last 2 miles felt so long - thought they'd never end!! Didn't have much in me for a last spurt at the end - I did try for a short stretch but it didn't last too long. Got to the end and felt I was going to collapse but managed just about to move very slowly through the corale hanging on to those barriers for help along the way!

I wandered around the FM 104 truck for a bit but it was only when I got my bag I saw from my phone where ye were. By then I only had a couple of mins but it was nice to see Huzzah, ReeRee G, Mr Guappa and Karlos and to eat a flapjack before heading home. Couldn't wait to get a cuppa tea at Heuston Station and a pack of crisps - salt and caffeine helped make me feel more human!
    So what did I learn for DCM:
    1. Give yourself more time than you think you need - much better to be early than late
    2. Rethink water for DCM. I only like to carry 250 mls in my hand, bigger bottles are too heavy and definitely not carrying any more in the flipbelt.
    3. I think I rather running with pacers - the chatter of a cheery pacer helps keep my negative brain from screaming at me and boy can it scream loud when it does!!
    4. I've dropped all notions of a 4hr 20 marathon and am wondering if I also need to rethink 4hr30.
    5. Even tough races eventually finish!!

Well done to everyone - some great results on strava and some great LSRs too. Was just discussing with the clubmates that this stage feels like the toughest - the novelty of all the training is wearing off, bodies tired, colds and sore throats and husband less than impressed with the whole marathon obsession. But it always gets tough just before the end and the end is definitely in sight - time to dig in and ignore the negative voices again!!

Chip time: 2:05:15

Mile 1: 9:08 min
    Mile 2: 9:01 min
    Mile 3: 9:02 min
    Mile 4: 9:08 min
    Mile 5: 9:29 min
    Mile 6: 9:34 min
    Mile 7: 9:16 min
    Mile 8: 9:54 min
    Mile 9: 9:23 min
    Mile 10: 10:01 min
    Mile 11: 9:35 min
    Mile 12: 10:00 min
    Mile 13: 10:12 min
    0.17 mile: 9:03 min

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

I decided to run the half as a PMP. I was really wavering and earlier this week had more or less decided to race it. Then I got an unexpected result from some routine blood tests and was told my iron levels were very low. As I've suffered from severe anaemia in the past, this put a real dent in my confidence about the race, and I decided to play it safe. (I'll be getting IV iron before the marathon, as I can't take iron tablets.)

On thinking about it I also felt it was a good decision for me as I've been behind on my PMP miles, only really getting them in regularly in the last four weeks or so. The last PMP session I did was last week - the aim was to do 10 miles at PMP but I only managed nine before my legs started to protest too much. So I reckoned if I could get 13 done at PMP, I'd feel like I was properly caught up on my PMP training.

I decided to start out at 9:08 or so per mile, going above that if necessary in the hilly miles, and after the last big hill at mile 8 I'd reassess and decide whether I could step it up a gear. I took a gel before the start as I was already hungry. I ended up starting by myself despite knowing about 25 other people who were doing the race, because it took me so long to queue for the Portaloos and then the bag drop that I only just made it to the start on time, and ducked into Wave 2 - I couldn't see the 2 hour pacers anywhere. It turned out they were much further back.

The first couple of miles flew by and I was quite happy running at my chosen pace. I caught up with a colleague of mine at around mile 3 and we chatted for a while, but she was too fast for me on the hills so I let her go. When we turned up Chesterfield Avenue and then turned towards the back of the zoo, I noticed my pace had dropped to around 9:25 or so, so I decided to try to step up a gear even though I was still only at mile 4. It worked, and I got the pace back on track at just over 9 min/mile. Getting to the North Road I was all ready for four miles of horrendous hills (that's what it looks like on the course profile!) but actually they turned out not to be too bad. Amazingly, I seemed to trip lightly up all the hills (except the mile 13!) with very little bother, probably because of my conservative pace. I also started passing a lot of people in mile 8 and, together with knowing the downhills were coming up, my confidence grew. I stepped it up over the next few miles (which were mostly downhill) and caught my colleague who'd got away from me earlier. She mentioned that another colleague of ours was up ahead so I decided to try to catch her. I never managed to, but it was good to have a target!

I knew coming into the last mile that it was going to be hard because of the hill, and I ended up slowing down quite a bit. But I felt at that stage that I was still within my PMP so I had a bit of leeway. I ran to the finish strongly but not in an all-out sprint - still managing to be careful!

I was pretty happy with my time of 1:56:02 until I started talking to all my clubmates, a lot of whom had either got really good PBs or, like me, were running the marathon and trying to be conservative but had still finished faster than me. But overall I'm glad I paced it the way I did. I really felt the 13 miles at PMP was no problem to me, in contrast to my PMP runs of recent weeks. If I'd tried to race it, I could have blown up and destroyed my confidence going into the marathon itself. Anyway, the splits were as follows:

9:09
    8:59
    9:05
    9:11
    8:57
    9:05
    8:53
    9:07
    8:34
    8:36
    8:14
    8:10
    8:40
    1:21

Felt tired and headachy for the rest of the day, and I'd forgotten that I used to feel like that after all my long runs, until I started slowing them down. Anyway, it's a very slow 4-mile recovery tomorrow and then a day off on Monday, so hopefully I'll be ready to get back into it on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

@eabha - just be sure to remember the negative thinking isn't unusual and is part of the process. Don't think it's unique to you and is something to worry about. It's a sign you're running hard. We all have those thoughts and if you read through some race reports of some of the"faster lads" you'll see they feature across the board. Dealing with the thoughts and learning how to work through them is one of the skills of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Race Report

Came into this feeling quietly confident but having had bad days for the 10k and 10mi races I was a bit anxious too. Plan was to start relatively easy, manage effort on the hills and finish strong. Made up a sub 1.50 pace band as follows (actual times)
    8.33 (8.29)
    8.21 (8.26)
    8.29 (8.22)
    8.35 (8.29)
    8.30 (8.26)
    8.32 (8.23)
    8.25 (8.26)
    8.23 (8.24)
    8.15 (8.02)
    8.19 (8.10)
    8.07 (8.06)
    8.09 (7.58)
    8.26 (7.57)
    Sprint for 1.49.53 (1.49.02)
    Measured 13.2mi on the watch.

Started about 15 meters or so behind the1.50 pacers. It was crowded but once things got moving it wasn’t nearly as bad as I found the 10mi. Most people seemed to be in the right area so no need to weave around much. GPS pace seemed to be a bit all over the place the first few miles, so it was hard to settle into a rhythm. Felt comfortable and was really conscious of easing off on the downhills and keeping the HR as low as possible. Felt really in control and was enjoying it. 1.50 pacers pulled away a little but the gap settled after the first mile and we seemed to be on more or less the same pace strategy.

I was getting passed a fair bit on the downhills and even finding myself getting a bit isolated from groups because I was holding back. The space was nice and it meant no drama getting a bottle at the first water station. Carried that bottle and sipped away all the way to the second water station.

In the 10 mile I was really starting to feel tired by the time we turned towards the zoo. This time,I was comfortable and making good ground. Took a gel at 4 and a bit miles. Kept things steady, I was making up time on the watch but against the actual mile markers it wasn’t as much. Second water station was cups, I took my salts capsule here with a couple of sips, no dramatic bear drowning incidents. Wished it was a bottle and remember getting quite thirsty before the next station.

Breeze didn’t feel too bad at the turn about on Chesterfield Avenue, although it was going to make that downhill a bit tougher. I was feeling really strong. Heading out of the park around Farmleigh the drag really seemed to be bringing people to a standstill. There was a runner down here with a few people giving assistance, looked like he tripped over one of the traffic cones and seemed to be getting back moving. I think it was a Dunboyne fella who was moving really well here and came past me, I had dropped the pace a bit more than I liked so latched onto him. Made great progress and when we turned downhill we were flying along. Let him pull away a little as I wanted to get the HR down a bit after the effort on the drag. As soon as we turned back into the park he slowed dramatically on the little kick up and I passed him and didn’t see him again.

Another bottle at the water station, poured a good bit over me and kept it on me until I spotted the wife at the chesterfield roundabout and threw it her direction to get rid of. Was still feeling really good, although working hard enough, and I couldn’t wait for the downhill. Told her I’d see her at the finish in 27 minutes. Turning down Chesterfield and the breeze was definitely cancelling out the slight descent. I kept pushing on and passing people but the effort was high enough and again I planned to try recover on the steeper descent. I was delighted with life at this stage to be honest, it couldn’t have been more different to the 10 mile. I had taken a second gel around mile 9.

Big cups of water at the last water station. Decided to pour most of it over me, it was bloody freezing, nearly took my breath away. Apparently there was a lucozade station somewhere with gels? Actually didn’t see it at all somehow. Kept it fairly controlled on the steep downhill and got the HR down a bit knowing what was coming. Could see the 1.50 pacers were coming back to me now and the group around them was getting very small. I was motoring along really nicely now and let the HR get into the red zone for the first time. Attacked the hill with reckless abandon and suddenly I was almost with the 1.50 pacers. Let myself recover a bit as it flattened out and just came onto the shoulder of the pacers as we hit the final turn from home. Thanked the pacers for a nice job, having them in sight really helped my own pacing. Then pushed past and raised the effort again. Probably went for the finish a bit early and eased off a little, before a fella came past my shoulder at a really good tilt with about 150 meters to go, I responded and we managed to get into a flat out sprint for the line. It was nip and tuck but he edged me out. Probably lucky I didn’t pop a calf or a hamstring, I’m really not a sprinter.

Felt amazing to finish so strong. Couldn’t believe afterwards that the last mile was actually my fastest. Recovered quite quickly too. Although despite all my best efforts to hydrate ended up with a stinker of a headache in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

Arrived in plenty of time. Locked the bike up and got changed. Dropped the bag in and then made my way down past the FM104 truck. I didn't stop to see if anyone was around at this time as I wanted to get down to the wave due to the huge amount of people around compared to the FD10. Very brief warmup in a field consisting of some very short jobs and some activation drills. I eat one of my bars whilst waiting in the wave pen and take on some of my carb/electrolyte mix from my hydration pack. Seems like it's about 6/7 minutes from the start of wave 1 till wave 2 gets the go ahead. Having discussed it on here, I set out with a goal of 5:15-5:30min/Km and see how it went.

1Km - 5:26 - First impressions were that this was way way busier than the FD10. Nice conservative start, just to get warmed up.

2Km - 5:16 - Moving in to the downhill section know, still keeping it easy. Really nice cross breeze here.

3Km 5:06 - Still downhill, still very easy.

4Km 5:15 - Final part of the initial downhill and then a brief incline before we hit the S bends. Again like the FD10, I'm seeing people walking and there's a long way to go yet. It must have been a tough day for those folks.

5Km 5:08 - Through the S bends, still keeping my eye on the 1:50 balloons though they're a good few hundred metres ahead of me. Completely ignore the water station as I've got my hydration pack which I've been supping on along the way whilst also nibbling on my bars.

6Km 5:13 - Down past the military base and up towards Chesterfield. Legs still feeling good and HR up until this point has been hovering around low-mid 160s.

7Km 5:17 - Here's where it sort of came unravelling for me at FD10 due to the heat and lack of fuel/hydration on the day. Still feeling strong, HR remaining steady. It's a small enough road around the back of the zoo so it's quite congested here so finding it hard to move around and past people.

8Km 5:11 - I dislike the large road ramps over this side of the park so I try and stay in the bicycle lane to minimise their impact.

9Km 5:05 - HR along this back section has bumped up to about 170, it was mid 180s during FD10. Body feeling good and breathing is doesn't feel heavy at all. This brings us up towards the 2nd water stop. The crowd here is phenomenal and gives me a great lift (hopefully everyone else too).

10Km 5:05 - I studied the route profile a good bit and this is where it starts to level off a bit (briefly) as we've been on an upward drag for about 5Km now. Crowd continues to be amazing and the cheers are so uplifting.

11Km 5:05 - Crowd at the turn up towards Castleknock makes it feel like we're at the finish line, it's just that loud. Not a fan of the part where we're running on the path. but we're at the halfway point and the legs are good. HR has remained steady at 170.

12Km 5:01 - Still relatively flat as we move out towards Farmleigh. This part of the run is unknown to me as I've never been out this way on bike or foot.

13Km 5:28 - Out of the park and we're uphill for this entire Km. I ease the pace up a good bit to just get through this section. Shorter slower strides uphill to avoid burning out the legs. HR still steady.

14Km 5:01 - Nice downhill section out of the park now. Lovely breeze here. Still got the 1:50 balloons in sight but I've cut in to that original few hundred metres gap by about half.

15Km 5:09 - This is an undulating section so I back off the pace a little. Another water section and I just run through trying to avoid bodies. At the end of this section I get my usual 5Km buzz on the watch which means 6Km to go and I'm feeling really good. I meet a colleague around here who is struggling and offer them some food but they're not in good shape and can barely answer. I plough on as they're not in any state of mind for company.

16Km 5:03 - I start to increase my pace a little as I get to Chesterfield. I've ran as much as I did for the FD10 where I struggled a lot. Today is hugely different. I'm feeling energised, strong and the breeze in to my face is glorious.

17Km 4:47 - I look at my watch and I'm running sub 5min/Km at the end of the half marathon and legs are nowhere near tired. HR creeps up to mid 170s but breathing is not laboured. The hunt is on to catch the 1:50 balloons.

18Km 4:39 - We're motoring now. Down past Aras and I'm catching those balloons with ease now.

19Km 4:27 - I've got a great stride going now and I catch the balloons. Legs feeling good and continue my strides down past the hospital being careful with the sharp descent. HR has jumped up to about 191 during these past few Kms of moving quickly but I've got energy to burn.

20Km 4:56 - It's mostly uphill to the finish now. Adjust my strides but remain strong. Look at the watch and realise that I'm looking at 1:47-1:48. This gives me a huge huge lift.

21Km 4:50 - Still uphill and legs are still good. Try and encourage those around who are struggling with the incline. We reach the top of the incline and there's a small amount of flat terrain before we hit the home straight. Notice a few people around this area getting medical attention, hope they were ok!

Home stretch 4:54 - I muster what ever energy is left in the tank and try and get in with a time of 1:47:xx. Pump the legs as much as I can but energy is low now. Eventually get overt the line and know it's an incredible time and performance for me. Let out a huge roar of relief and pride at how the race went for me.

Strava tells me I've run my quickest 10Km, 15Km, 20Km, 10 miles and Half during the DCHM. Looking at my times I reckon it's a negative split too, is there any tool that will calculate that for me?. Couldn't have gone better, really couldn't have.

I'd a big grin on my face all day yesterday and woke up with it still there. Really looking forward to the next 2 weeks of training before the taper.

Well done to everyone who ran yesterday in the DHCM, was great to see all the results and smiling photos coming through on my strava feed. It was great to meet up with the mentors and Dealerz2.0. Those flajacks were amazing, please do provide the recipe please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great race, well done. No need for any tool to work out that you ran a negative split!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

marathon19 wrote: »
    Delighted I am

10 minutes faster than the only other half I raced,
    py wrote: »
    ~1:47:30... Waiting on official time. I'm probably happier than the lad who came 1st today :D Will do race report later/tomorrow, got a 5 year olds birthday party to run now.

Edit: Chip time 1:47:30 on the button, ecstatic with that result today.

Well done everyone else.
    Soulsun wrote: »
    Got around it in 2.20 injury free
    Happy out
    Also my 10mile time was drastically improved.
    Great course and plenty of water
    Well done all
    1.49.02 chip time. And according to Garmin that sprint topped out at 19.5mph! The other lad must have been related to Usain Bolt.

Some great results from yesterday and I'm delighted to see it. I'm more delighted to see how happy you all are. It's been a long block and I'm glad to see you reaping the rewards. Hopefully you'll now have a bit more confidence before the next race ;) And, more importantly, you'll have some more information to help decide on a PMP.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I missed you at the truck, sorry. I didnt get there until 12:40 so maybe ye were gone anyway, but after looking for a group of people eating flapjacks and asking 2 groups (with no flapjacks) if they were "from boards" I tipped on.

I did an 18m LSR with 5m before the half. It was tough. For a start, there's no way I would have been capable of racing this but also, Mr Guappa you were bang on the money when you shook your head at me doing it at MP - I wouldn't have been able for that either. LSR pace was a struggle at times today.

I think we were there till about 1 but nevermind, we"ll meet up in a few weeks.

Well done on listening to your body and running it as an LSR. 13.1@PMP would be a massive session, tough enough to do in the full of your health. Hope you're on the mend now.

Got to the finish line. Got my medal and my goodie bag etc and met my mate. Sat down for a few minutes, chatting etc. Went to stand up and the next thing I remember, I'm lying flat on my back with a handful of people standing over me.

Lesson:
    I should not have gone to the gym yesterday.
    I probably went out too fast considering how tired I was.
    Prepare pre race nutrition better (multiple reasons led to my pre race breakfast being a hi-five gel).
    I probably should have stopped and not forced myself to the finish line.
    Press 'Save' on the garmin immediately post-race (D'oh!). Edit: Found and synced.
    Always fill out the the contact information on the back of the number (I always do but this reinforced it).

Taking it easy for a few days and will get back to it during the week.
    Need to be 'smarter' with my prep and training.

You must've gotten an awful fright. Mind yourself this week.
    Doc76 wrote: »

I’m absolutely thrilled with my chip time from today 2:16:54. I’ll write a race report later but just wanted to say a massive congrats to everyone out racing today. And I am totally in love with running in the Park now ;)

FAB!!
    rizzee wrote: »

As I was aiming for around 2:00ish mark, I said I'd go close to the 1:50 pacers and I could drop back if I had to. I was in the middle of the road at 9:15 waiting anxiously for the race to start. I was about 300m back from the blue 1:50 balloons.

Turning towards Popes Cross I could feel the legs tightening up. I looked at the watch and figured out I had around 20 mins to do around 3km in order to get under the 1:50 mark. I didn't know whether my watch was wrong or the pacers were too fast but I said I'd go by the watch and see the chip time at the end.

I'm not too sure where the Lucozade stand was but I had x2 of them and x 2 water at that late stage! Note to self : START USING GELS. I took nothing!!

Jesus Christ after passing the DJ for the 2nd time that bloody hill near the end nearly buckled me. I was tempted to stop and walk for a few seconds but I had a new goal: to dig in and get under that 1:50 mark.

Crossed the line @ 1:49:48 watch time. Bloody ecstatic. I didn't want to believe it until I got the official chip time.

Soaked up the sun some more (only a little burnt!), did some stretches and headed off home.
    In the door 1:30 and straight for a bath!! Currently waiting on food to be delivered then I think a few pints are in order :)

All in all a brilliant day. Overwhelmed is an understatement. I couldn't have done any of this without the help of all you guys so thanks again!

Only 36 days to go!!! I'll be taking it easy over the next few days and sticking to the plan - just want to finish the 42KM for my first one :)

That sounds like a perfectly executed race. The only comment I will make is for DCM, I wouldn't go with pacers that are faster than what you hope to run, if that makes sense? Well done, though, on letting the pacers go when their pace didn't feel right for you. That's a time to be proud of - congrats.

I also got nicely scorched yesterday - I think it's windburn in my case. Hope you enjoyed the PB beers!

Well done today everyone. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Gave myself every chance of 1.50 this week with good diet and bed at 9 and asleep most nights by 10. Got to the line feeling quite nervous but good.

Started strong behind 1.50 pacers and used the first miles to catch them on the down to give myself some wiggle room. I managed to keep it tight through the next 5 or 6 miles then. Made up some time from 9 to 11 I feel. Then last two were tough but delighted with how I got through them. Chip time 1.48.16..i think I could have taken 16 seconds off if I knew!

Changed the face on the garmin this morning for the run, and I recommend it. It was great not tracking the distance or time. There are enough signs for distance without me getting preoccupied. I had the watch show me current pace and average pace. Considering I knew what average pace would get me sub 1.50 I always knew where I stood but could also see when I was pushing it etc. Maybe I'm slow to pick up but I thought it a useful tip so I wasn't tracking 6.1m 6m2.m 6.3m etc.

Also my first medal, and they are better than I thought! Also got the right size t shirt this time so I'm delighted!

Hopefully that time and a strong 2-3 weeks can get me through DCM sub 4.

Well done to all.. Always amazes me seeing all ages, shapes and sizes smash past me during these races!

The medals are great. That's another strong performance from you. It's great that you've got your watch set up in a way you like too. Congrats.

PS don't worry about those 16 seconds. No doubt there's lots more to come off that time in 2020.
    pd79 wrote: »

Really enjoyed today, did 2:23, exactly same as last year! Have way more this year. But last year I dragged my self over finished line, this year I was able to push for last two miles , took hills well and felt fine throughout, so that's progress . Still finding it really hard to eat after long runs, had large pasta dish last night at 9pm, and that worked well.

Well done to all,

You ran a lovely, even paced race. Very well done to you.
    Karlos80 wrote: »

The aim was to run sub2hr, but I really knew I had 1h55m in me if I was going ok, so I started out with that plan. Avg 8:45, so for miles 1 to 3, bank 10-15 secs each mile, miles 4 to 8, go over by a few secs, assess myself after 8 miles and then take it steady around 8:30-8:40 for remainder if I was still OK.
    The race itself I found tough to keep disciplined at the start, had to check myself on a few occasions, probably because it was the largest race I have took part in, numbers-wise.

Race 1h52m56s

It was lovely to meet you yesterday. You seemed to check in with yourself a lot on the way around and it worked really well for you. It's not an easy skill to master, so well done.

You smashed your goal, too! Congrats.

Two small comments: consider ditching the music for DCM. You don't want to miss out on that incredible DCM atmosphere. You'll need to really keep yourself in check at the start of DCM - it's a hard thing to do when you're as fit as a fiddle and raring to go.
    eabha19 wrote: »
    DHM Race Report
    I just typed this up and when I went to post got kicked out :mad:

Anyway, this wasn't a great week for me - it felt a bit overwhelmingly busy and some upsetting family issues that had me a bit upside down. Then yesterday I woke up with a sore scratchy throat and my voice totally gone. In fairness I sounded worse than I felt so made a decision to go for it anyway.

My plan had been to run with the 2 hour pacer - my last two half marathons were 1:58 and 2 hours so I figured I could manage that again. But because one or two waves had already left I wasn't sure which wave was which and couldn't see the pacers so I went alone. Then I realised that my watch is now in miles and I didn't know what sub 2 hour pace was in miles. Did some quick maths running through the start line and reckoned I should do 9 min miles with a little over for the hillier sections. Also realised that I had left my gel in my bag in the panic to get to the start line but wasn't too worried about that as I wouldn't usually have a gel at a half marathon. I did have two 250 water bottles with a half zero tab in each - one in my flipbelt and one in my hand. I've carried bottles in my flip belt during LSRs but after 20 yards I handed to a man on the sideline for dumping - it was so irritating! Good to know before DCM.

Mile 12 up that hill was really tough. My brain started spiralling into negativity - I decided I wasn't doing the marathon and I was never running over a 10k again. On top of that I just kept trying to say to myself Dig in Dig in - it certainly didn't produce any great spurt of energy but I didn't walk and kept putting one foot in front of the other. Those last 2 miles felt so long - thought they'd never end!! Didn't have much in me for a last spurt at the end - I did try for a short stretch but it didn't last too long. Got to the end and felt I was going to collapse but managed just about to move very slowly through the corale hanging on to those barriers for help along the way!

1. Give yourself more time than you think you need - much better to be early than late
    2. Rethink water for DCM. I only like to carry 250 mls in my hand, bigger bottles are too heavy and definitely not carrying any more in the flipbelt.
    3. I think I rather running with pacers - the chatter of a cheery pacer helps keep my negative brain from screaming at me and boy can it scream loud when it does!!
    4. I've dropped all notions of a 4hr 20 marathon and am wondering if I also need to rethink 4hr30.
    5. Even tough races eventually finish!!

Well done to everyone - some great results on strava and some great LSRs too. Was just discussing with the clubmates that this stage feels like the toughest - the novelty of all the training is wearing off, bodies tired, colds and sore throats and husband less than impressed with the whole marathon obsession. But it always gets tough just before the end and the end is definitely in sight - time to dig in and ignore the negative voices again!!

Chip time: 2:05:15

It was lovely to meet you yesterday. Try not dwell on the race too much. I think the sore throat took more out of you than you realise. You might not have felt too bad physically but your body was probably focussing all its energies on fighting something off. As Swash says, we all have those negative thoughts during racing. It's a consequence of pushing ourselves to the very limits. There's lots of positives to take from yesterday, too: you learned some valuable lessons which will pay dividends on DCM day and you didn't stop going - that takes a lot of mental strength, so well done.
    kyomi wrote: »
    I decided to run the half as a PMP. I was really wavering and earlier this week had more or less decided to race it. Then I got an unexpected result from some routine blood tests and was told my iron levels were very low. As I've suffered from severe anaemia in the past, this put a real dent in my confidence about the race, and I decided to play it safe. (I'll be getting IV iron before the marathon, as I can't take iron tablets.)

I've very similar iron issues and have had a number of iron infusions in the past (iron tablets are HORRIFIC things). Do you have your infusion scheduled yet? My understanding is it can take a while to kick in, so if you can, try and get it soon.
    kyomi wrote: »
    On thinking about it I also felt it was a good decision for me as I've been behind on my PMP miles, only really getting them in regularly in the last four weeks or so. The last PMP session I did was last week - the aim was to do 10 miles at PMP but I only managed nine before my legs started to protest too much. So I reckoned if I could get 13 done at PMP, I'd feel like I was properly caught up on my PMP training.

The first couple of miles flew by and I was quite happy running at my chosen pace. I caught up with a colleague of mine at around mile 3 and we chatted for a while, but she was too fast for me on the hills so I let her go. When we turned up Chesterfield Avenue and then turned towards the back of the zoo, I noticed my pace had dropped to around 9:25 or so, so I decided to try to step up a gear even though I was still only at mile 4. It worked, and I got the pace back on track at just over 9 min/mile. Getting to the North Road I was all ready for four miles of horrendous hills (that's what it looks like on the course profile!) but actually they turned out not to be too bad. Amazingly, I seemed to trip lightly up all the hills (except the mile 13!) with very little bother, probably because of my conservative pace. I also started passing a lot of people in mile 8 and, together with knowing the downhills were coming up, my confidence grew. I stepped it up over the next few miles (which were mostly downhill) and caught my colleague who'd got away from me earlier. She mentioned that another colleague of ours was up ahead so I decided to try to catch her. I never managed to, but it was good to have a target!

I was pretty happy with my time of 1:56:02 until I started talking to all my clubmates, a lot of whom had either got really good PBs or, like me, were running the marathon and trying to be conservative but had still finished faster than me. But overall I'm glad I paced it the way I did. I really felt the 13 miles at PMP was no problem to me, in contrast to my PMP runs of recent weeks. If I'd tried to race it, I could have blown up and destroyed my confidence going into the marathon itself.

You're very hard on yourself! 13.1@PMP is a monster session and you flew it. Please don't compare yourself to others. Yesterday's run is something to take a massive amount of confidence from.

I also wouldn't feel "behind" on PMP miles. The main goal of those sessions is to tune into a pace and you showed yesterday that you're well tuned into it.

You're doing really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I've just spent the last half hour reading the race reports - they are all really great. Even though I didn't race it, I can identify with some of what nearly everyone has said.

My own run report (i'll keep it short)
    Because of a cough/cold I couldn't race this weekend. I decided instead to do 18m LSR because I felt a bit pathetic only doing the 13. Said I'd do the first 5 before the half so that I could meet up with everyone at the end.

I did the first 5m up and down Chesterfield Ave and there was a really strong wind. So much wind hitting my neck was worrying me so I kept my snood on for fear I would finish the day with a relapse.

Ended up taking the snood with me for the half in case the whole route ended up windy. Turns out it wasn't so I carried it for the duration of the run.

I started at the very back of the field.

Even before mile 1 the ground was littered with gels - why would people be taking gels that early in a race? Is it some strategy I'm unaware of? Or did they all just not have breakfast?

The first time I saw the DJ I was thinking to myself that it was an odd location for him to be - I think it was before mile 2? A bit early to be needing that much motivation surely? On the home stretch it all made sense :o I had looked up the route in advance and had even ran it the week before, but my sense of direction is awful and I didn't realise we would be running that road a second time.

At mile 3 I saw the most hilarious thing - a crow came onto the course and dragged off a gel for himself. I'm not even sure if that is funny, but it was at the time.

I was cursing my school students as I went round the course. No matter what I do, I never seem to be able to avoid getting sick on the return to school in September. I had previously said on this thread that I was sick this time last year too. I also ran the half last year while sick. What I had forgotten though, was that the same thing happened the year before too. It was upon the realisation of this fact that I decided my days of the DCHM are over. I think it is obviously inevitable that I will get sick this time next year, so no point in signing up to this race again and putting the pressure on myself to be race-ready for it.

Just as I was finished cursing my school students I came upon the 2nd water station. Man, I needed water. Thank god for these little volunteer scouts ...... oh, hang on. These were not just any little volunteer scouts, these were some of my school students!! :) Not the ones that made me sick I should add, but never mind that. I was delighted to see them and bless them they were delighted to see me. It gave me such a boost!

My snood got wet when I was trying to drink the water, which was brilliant as it turned into a little cold compress which I used a couple of times to pat my forehead. Was lovely. Has me thinking if I will be able to squeeze a tiny mini towel into my running belt for DCM :pac:

Turning off Chesterfield Ave (maybe mile 7, not sure) and meeting the faster runners coming back onto it was the first signs of a crowd that I witnessed, as being at the back of the pack it was very spacious. As I turned onto the roundabout I heard a man on other side shout "I'll see you in about a half an hr" - @passinginterest - maybe it was you!

As a slow runner, coming back onto Chesterfield Ave around mile 9/10 is very cruel. Most runners are finished and it's very tough on the head if you're struggling here to begin with.

Also had a terrible headache for most of the day as others mentioned.

Thoughts
    I know I did all I could do, but I feel disappointed that I wasn't able to race. I feel like I missed out on an opportunity to see where I'm at in relation to DCM. Having said that, I think if I raced yesterday I wouldn't have gotten a PB so in my head the struggle of trying might not have been worth it. Not sure if that is the right way to look at it though.

My coughs tend to linger for a bit too :rolleyes: so I am still prone to the odd burst of coughing, even this weekend. I'm worried it is going to take ages to go away so am glad there is no PMP this week as that gives me a chance to take it a bit easy.

As a couple of others have mentioned, I think the commitment to marathon training is starting to take its toll on my OH. He has been very understanding and accommodating up to now, but the last couple of weeks I have noticed he is getting fed up:

OH: Was thinking we could go to my mums for a few days?
    Me: I've a long run to do
    OH: Want to do something cool for Culture Night?
    Me: Can't - I need an early night before the half
    OH: The painter/decorator will be here in the morning at 9am - I'm wrecked and need a lie-in, can you let him in?
    Me: I won't be here, I'll be out running, sorry
    OH: There's a really cool event on in Dublin 5th October I was thinking we could go to
    Me: I've the 3/4 marathon the next day, I can't be on my feet all day.

He hasn't said anything, but I know he is getting fed up. He isn't a runner so in fairness he can't be expected to understand. I think this is adding a bit of stress to it all.

Sorry guys, probably sharing too much, but nobody else will listen anymore :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Loving all the reports. Well done on the really great times!

I was nervous and apprehensive about this run. Coming back after injury I desperately just wanted to get through it uninjured and planned to run it at an easy pace. I had 2:30 in mind timewise but was ready to pull back if things didn't feel right.

I had a sore throat and head cold all week so hadn't been sleeping well. Thankfully I had a good nights sleep Friday night and woke feeling much better yesterday.

I woke at 6am. Had my usual breakfast and hit the road. Got to the park an hour beforehand so had plenty of time for toilets, baggage etc. I bumped into people from my club so we joined the start wave together. Our wave took off just after 9.45.

I ran the first mile with club colleagues. Once the crowd thinned out a little I let them off and pulled back my pace.

Mile 1 10:42
    Mile 2 11:04
    Mile 3 11:16

My difficulty for the first three miles was pulling back on pace. My calves felt tight at the start but by mile 3 I shook this off. I also lost one of my gels from my gel belt at mile 3. I tried out the belt that we got in DCM 10k. I need to rethink that for marathon day.

Mile 4 11:30
    Mile 5 11:21
    Mile 6 11:40
    Mile 7 11:17
    Mile 8 11:21

I quite enjoyed mile 4 to 8. Felt very comfortable and strong coming into mile 9.
    I carried a 500ml bottle with me and filled it at every station. I drank quite a lot of water. At least 2 litres, if not more. I also used Mr. Guappa's tip and carried extra electrolyte tabs in a small plastic pouch. I took my gels at mile 4 and mile 8 and a strepsil at mile 10 :)

Mile 9 10:36
    Mile 10 10:51
    Mile 11 9:50

Not sure what clicked in my head at mile 9. Hard to describe. I got tired of the slow pace and I just felt I'd never finish the thing. Not sure why but I picked up pace quite a bit and kept going. I felt very strong coming down Chesterfield Avenue. I felt like I was just bouncing :) Seeing all the finishers with medals pushed me on.

Mile 12 10:38
    Mile 13 11:14
    Mike 14 1:53 (9:14 min/m)

I really felt that drag at mile 13 but pushed through to the finish.
    I was wrecked by the finish but relieved that I made it around in one piece.
    Chip time came in at 2:25.

It was great to meet the gang afterwards at the baggage area. I wasn't very talkative sorry guys!!! Thanks for all the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Turning off Chesterfield Ave (maybe mile 7, not sure) and meeting the faster runners coming back onto it was the first signs of a crowd that I witnessed, as being at the back of the pack it was very spacious. As I turned onto the roundabout I heard a man on other side shout "I'll see you in about a half an hr" - @passinginterest - maybe it was you!

As a couple of others have mentioned, I think the commitment to marathon training is starting to take its toll on my OH. He has been very understanding and accommodating up to now, but the last couple of weeks I have noticed he is getting fed up:

OH: Was thinking we could go to my mums for a few days?
    Me: I've a long run to do
    OH: Want to do something cool for Culture Night?
    Me: Can't - I need an early night before the half
    OH: The painter/decorator will be here in the morning at 9am - I'm wrecked and need a lie-in, can you let him in?
    Me: I won't be here, I'll be out running, sorry
    OH: There's a really cool event on in Dublin 5th October I was thinking we could go to
    Me: I've the 3/4 marathon the next day, I can't be on my feet all day.

He hasn't said anything, but I know he is getting fed up. He isn't a runner so in fairness he can't be expected to understand. I think this is adding a bit of stress to it all.

Sorry guys, probably sharing too much, but nobody else will listen anymore :pac::pac:

Sound like it could have been me alright. She was recording at the time so I’ll have a look on the background.

I think one of the biggest impacts of marathon training is on partners/family. It’s a huge commitment and particularly if they’ve no interest or actively dislike running or sport in general. One of the commitments I made was to fit running around life as much as possible to minimise impact, but at this stage of training it’s pretty much impossible for it to not take over a bit. They’ll be rewarded with our gratitude after!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Could have been my gel that I dropped at mile 3 Bananaleaf :):)
    A guy running right behind me had a conker land on him.

Sound like it could have been me alright. She was recording at the time so I’ll have a look on the background.

I think one of the biggest impacts of marathon training is on partners/family. It’s a huge commitment and particularly if they’ve no interest or actively dislike running or sport in general. One of the commitments I made was to fit running around life as much as possible to minimise impact, but at this stage of training it’s pretty much impossible for it to not take over a bit. They’ll be rewarded with our gratitude after!!

I would have been behind your wife if she was recording, if that makes sense, so I wouldn't be in the video. From your time and the time of a friend I saw after I heard the "I'll be a half an hr" I'd say it was you. LOL, all I remember hearing when I heard it was "Jaysus I would love to be finishing in half an hr!"

Yeah, my OH has literally no interest in running. He will come to DCM but that will only be the second run he has come to. And it isn't because he's unsupportive, he literally has zero interest. I just don't know if the marathon is something I could get away with doing on a yearly basis.
    Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Could have been my gel that I dropped at mile 3 Bananaleaf :):)
    A guy running right behind me had a conker land on him.

Actually a guy near me stopped on the course to collect conkers! :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The training definitely requires a supportive partner, but it can definitely test the patience of even the most understanding of other halves! It might be an idea to organise a nice weekend away, a gig, match or whatever they might like for the middle of November as a little thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Here’s my half race report :)

Chip time 2:16:54

Mile 1 10:44
    Mile 2 10:31
    Mile 3 10:26
    Mile 4 10:31
    Mile 5 10:44
    Mile 6 10:52
    Mile 7 10:10
    Mile 8 10:31
    Mile 9 10:05
    Mile 10 10:31
    Mile 11 9:45
    Mile 12 9:45
    Mile 13 10:14
    .2 8:36

The morning didn’t get off to the best start as could not find car key anywhere. I swear every race morning something like this happens. I think pre race nerves make me scatterbrained!! Will definitely have to keep my head together on marathon morning. Breakfast was iced coffee, 1/2 bagel with natural peanut butter banana cinnamon and honey. Also had water with 1/2 zero tablet.

Anyway hopped in a cab to a friends house and we took her car from there. Parked at cricket club by 830 and headed towards start area in good time.

The weather was far more favorable than the 10 mile race. Warm but not humid like it was in August. I didn’t mind the breeze as am used to running by the coast. Took a small kids water bottle with me to the start. Realized I only had one aqua gel as opposed to the 2 I planned but also had hi5 gummies (more on this later!) so wasn’t too fussed.

Decided in the end not to use pacers as looked too claustrophobic and I’m pretty good at pacing I think and was more familiar with the course this time so not as many unknowns.

Took water bottles at each station offered to carry along until the next one. Around mile 5 I took a gummie but couldn’t find the gel in my flipbelt. I lost some time here thru mile 6 trying to find it. Lesson learned carry more gels than I need. Another lesson learned I’m not nearly as reliant on the gels as I’d thought. I was fine with taking a gummie from mile 5 and then at 8 and 11. I also took a few sips of lucozade at whatever stop that was which gave me a little kick.

Felt really strong throughout this race and pushed the limits more than I did at the FD 10 mile race. I felt more confident this time and really happy with the negative splits and pace.

I also feel like I have a good shot at finishing the marathon under 5 hours even if it’s by a nose. I know we aren’t supposed to get hung up on a time and I promise I won’t be too fussed if it doesn’t happen but feeling like I’ve an honest chance at it now.

As I said earlier I’m so sorry I’d didnt get to meet you guys afterwards. I asked around and looked for flapjacks but no dice. Really hoping I get a chance to meet you all after the marathon and get a chance to thank our amazing mentors for all the help they’ve provided. Some really incredible results from yesterday here so congrats to you all. And even if things didn’t go your way yesterday well done for getting out there and trying. Remember someone out there would give anything to have your bad run :)

Feeling good today (although head a bit fuzzy from post race Oktoberfest party celebrations!) and giving myself the day off from running. Back at it tomorrow.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The training definitely requires a supportive partner, but it can definitely test the patience of even the most understanding of other halves! It might be an idea to organise a nice weekend away, a gig, match or whatever they might like for the middle of November as a little thank you.

This is actually a great idea and I did this. The three of us - myself, OH and our furry son :pac: are spending 2 nights in The Twelve Hotel in Galway. I picked there because they allow pets. I had planned on this being a surprise, but I might tell him this evening - it might buy me a few more weeks patience.

Ever the selfish cow (hah) I picked the Wed and Thurs after DCM so that I will hopefully be able to walk by then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

You could always plan that trip away around another race... :pac:

Remember someone out there would give anything to have your bad run :)

That's a lovely way of looking at things.

Your breakfast sounds delicious. Well done yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Well done to all on the great results being posted! Super to hear!

Some thoughts/points from my own race and week leading in...
    - Training had been going well up to and including LSR on the 15th. Having went through the Half race with the 2 lads Im training with I thought aiming for around the 2hour mark was achievable there or thereabouts..
    - This last week I really felt the interest wane though and only got out twice for 2 short easy runs. work was busy, food choices weren't great overall, few things really!
    - Anyway Saturday morning arrived and felt lot better about things. Not one for massive breakfasts so usual few slices of brown bread and fruit, got to the park around 8.30am.. small warm up and stretching etc.. great buzz around! And my 1st Half Marathon race too!!
    - So had planned to run ideally 5.30/km for first 3km and then ease back to allow for hills/drags etc over next 10/11km.. was still hoping average out no worse than 5.45/km average through this section...
    - So by end of 16th Km I was through in approx 1.32 or so... 28mins to get a 5k and a bit done.. with 3 x flat/downhill kms to come as well....
    - Bubble burst... last 5 and bit k ran in 33odd mins!! once i reached the turn right back down Chesterfield avenue i felt just very weak.. wind felt like a gale in my face.. felt like i was running uphill!! last 2km up the hill were awful and i just wanted the finish line!
    - Finished in 2.05.35.. disappointed with how it all ended in last 5km.. took on 2 small water bottles and 2 gels over the race too.. but still was very dehydrated and wobbly after the line! a big red face and some sunburn today still too!!
    - So after race thoughts are that if i was probably another 2 mins slower through first 16km I could likely have made more than that back in latter part..likely ran too hard through the hillier parts early on!!

So thoughts now turn to big last 2 weeks of training for me before a 3 week taper kicks in... as its my first marathon thoughts are now to just to run it to finish comfortably as opposed to 'racing' it toward a definitive time!
    its not really in my nature to do this though so be interested to hear thoughts/advice on this from others??

Hope all racers enjoy their recovery day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Enjoying all the reports, well done everyone, amazing day for it and great effort from everyone, well done.

I had hoped to do this half but other half had a hen night to go to and considering it all I dragged my heal and then before I knew it was sold out. It was just as well as I was out of the country last 6 weeks or so with very little running. Went out to attempt a L-Very-SR yesterday morning and came back with my back in bits, I can barely walk today. I will give it a few days to recover and try and ease back into it (no pun intended) but mentally preparing myself for all eventualities. Fingers crossed I will get to DCM start line in five weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Mods any suggestions how to push on for the week ahead training wise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Clareview wrote: »
    Well done to all on the great results being posted! Super to hear!

Some thoughts/points from my own race and week leading in...
    - Training had been going well up to and including LSR on the 15th. Having went through the Half race with the 2 lads Im training with I thought aiming for around the 2hour mark was achievable there or thereabouts..
    - This last week I really felt the interest wane though and only got out twice for 2 short easy runs. work was busy, food choices weren't great overall, few things really!
    - Anyway Saturday morning arrived and felt lot better about things. Not one for massive breakfasts so usual few slices of brown bread and fruit, got to the park around 8.30am.. small warm up and stretching etc.. great buzz around! And my 1st Half Marathon race too!!
    - So had planned to run ideally 5.30/km for first 3km and then ease back to allow for hills/drags etc over next 10/11km.. was still hoping average out no worse than 5.45/km average through this section...
    - So by end of 16th Km I was through in approx 1.32 or so... 28mins to get a 5k and a bit done.. with 3 x flat/downhill kms to come as well....
    - Bubble burst... last 5 and bit k ran in 33odd mins!! once i reached the turn right back down Chesterfield avenue i felt just very weak.. wind felt like a gale in my face.. felt like i was running uphill!! last 2km up the hill were awful and i just wanted the finish line!
    - Finished in 2.05.35.. disappointed with how it all ended in last 5km.. took on 2 small water bottles and 2 gels over the race too.. but still was very dehydrated and wobbly after the line! a big red face and some sunburn today still too!!
    - So after race thoughts are that if i was probably another 2 mins slower through first 16km I could likely have made more than that back in latter part..likely ran too hard through the hillier parts early on!!

So thoughts now turn to big last 2 weeks of training for me before a 3 week taper kicks in... as its my first marathon thoughts are now to just to run it to finish comfortably as opposed to 'racing' it toward a definitive time!
    its not really in my nature to do this though so be interested to hear thoughts/advice on this from others??

Hope all racers enjoy their recovery day!!
    Well done on your first Half Marathon. Even if you didn't quite get the result you anticipated, these are still great milestones to tick off along the road to DCM. As for the race itself, I think you've called it pretty well - too fast in the early miles cost you later on. That 2 hour target might have been a touch optimistic in the first place, and you ran that first 16km at 2 hour pace when something a touch easier was for the best. It's great to learn these lessons now though, and be able to understand what's required for the big one. The marathon will require a similar mentality to yesterday - nice and easy through the opening miles, which is difficult to do on fresh tapered legs. Some lessons to be learned too on prepartion during the week.

One line that stuck with me form last year regarding marathons was "run your first, race your second". Time and again I see it mentioned that people wish they had chosen a more conservative goal. I'm not saying by any means to set expectations too low, but definitely err a touch on the conservative side with target times. Well done again - lots of positives to take from yesterday!

Here’s my half race report :)

Chip time 2:16:54

Mile 1 10:44
    Mile 2 10:31
    Mile 3 10:26
    Mile 4 10:31
    Mile 5 10:44
    Mile 6 10:52
    Mile 7 10:10
    Mile 8 10:31
    Mile 9 10:05
    Mile 10 10:31
    Mile 11 9:45
    Mile 12 9:45
    Mile 13 10:14
    .2 8:36

The morning didn’t get off to the best start as could not find car key anywhere. I swear every race morning something like this happens. I think pre race nerves make me scatterbrained!! Will definitely have to keep my head together on marathon morning. Breakfast was iced coffee, 1/2 bagel with natural peanut butter banana cinnamon and honey. Also had water with 1/2 zero tablet.

Anyway hopped in a cab to a friends house and we took her car from there. Parked at cricket club by 830 and headed towards start area in good time.

The weather was far more favorable than the 10 mile race. Warm but not humid like it was in August. I didn’t mind the breeze as am used to running by the coast. Took a small kids water bottle with me to the start. Realized I only had one aqua gel as opposed to the 2 I planned but also had hi5 gummies (more on this later!) so wasn’t too fussed.

Decided in the end not to use pacers as looked too claustrophobic and I’m pretty good at pacing I think and was more familiar with the course this time so not as many unknowns.

Took water bottles at each station offered to carry along until the next one. Around mile 5 I took a gummie but couldn’t find the gel in my flipbelt. I lost some time here thru mile 6 trying to find it. Lesson learned carry more gels than I need. Another lesson learned I’m not nearly as reliant on the gels as I’d thought. I was fine with taking a gummie from mile 5 and then at 8 and 11. I also took a few sips of lucozade at whatever stop that was which gave me a little kick.

Felt really strong throughout this race and pushed the limits more than I did at the FD 10 mile race. I felt more confident this time and really happy with the negative splits and pace.

I also feel like I have a good shot at finishing the marathon under 5 hours even if it’s by a nose. I know we aren’t supposed to get hung up on a time and I promise I won’t be too fussed if it doesn’t happen but feeling like I’ve an honest chance at it now.

As I said earlier I’m so sorry I’d didnt get to meet you guys afterwards. I asked around and looked for flapjacks but no dice. Really hoping I get a chance to meet you all after the marathon and get a chance to thank our amazing mentors for all the help they’ve provided. Some really incredible results from yesterday here so congrats to you all. And even if things didn’t go your way yesterday well done for getting out there and trying. Remember someone out there would give anything to have your bad run :)

Feeling good today (although head a bit fuzzy from post race Oktoberfest party celebrations!) and giving myself the day off from running. Back at it tomorrow.

That was a great run, nicely controlled and strong throughout - well done! Yesterday's time would indicate that a sub 5 hour marathon is definitely within your capabilities next month.

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    Loving all the reports. Well done on the really great times!

I was nervous and apprehensive about this run. Coming back after injury I desperately just wanted to get through it uninjured and planned to run it at an easy pace. I had 2:30 in mind timewise but was ready to pull back if things didn't feel right.

I had a sore throat and head cold all week so hadn't been sleeping well. Thankfully I had a good nights sleep Friday night and woke feeling much better yesterday.

I woke at 6am. Had my usual breakfast and hit the road. Got to the park an hour beforehand so had plenty of time for toilets, baggage etc. I bumped into people from my club so we joined the start wave together. Our wave took off just after 9.45.

I ran the first mile with club colleagues. Once the crowd thinned out a little I let them off and pulled back my pace.

Mile 1 10:42
    Mile 2 11:04
    Mile 3 11:16

My difficulty for the first three miles was pulling back on pace. My calves felt tight at the start but by mile 3 I shook this off. I also lost one of my gels from my gel belt at mile 3. I tried out the belt that we got in DCM 10k. I need to rethink that for marathon day.

Mile 4 11:30
    Mile 5 11:21
    Mile 6 11:40
    Mile 7 11:17
    Mile 8 11:21

I quite enjoyed mile 4 to 8. Felt very comfortable and strong coming into mile 9.
    I carried a 500ml bottle with me and filled it at every station. I drank quite a lot of water. At least 2 litres, if not more. I also used Mr. Guappa's tip and carried extra electrolyte tabs in a small plastic pouch. I took my gels at mile 4 and mile 8 and a strepsil at mile 10 :)

Mile 9 10:36
    Mile 10 10:51
    Mile 11 9:50

Not sure what clicked in my head at mile 9. Hard to describe. I got tired of the slow pace and I just felt I'd never finish the thing. Not sure why but I picked up pace quite a bit and kept going. I felt very strong coming down Chesterfield Avenue. I felt like I was just bouncing :) Seeing all the finishers with medals pushed me on.

Mile 12 10:38
    Mile 13 11:14
    Mike 14 1:53 (9:14 min/m)

I really felt that drag at mile 13 but pushed through to the finish.
    I was wrecked by the finish but relieved that I made it around in one piece.
    Chip time came in at 2:25.

It was great to meet the gang afterwards at the baggage area. I wasn't very talkative sorry guys!!! Thanks for all the support.

You took a sensible approach to the race which was a wise decision. Hopefully the strong finish gives you encouragement for the next 5 weeks. Nice job practicing your hydration and fueling strategy too - now is the time to figure out what works and what doesn't. Great to meet you afterwards as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I've very similar iron issues and have had a number of iron infusions in the past (iron tablets are HORRIFIC things). Do you have your infusion scheduled yet? My understanding is it can take a while to kick in, so if you can, try and get it soon.

I tried to schedule it but because it's three years since I had the last one (my haemoglobin levels had been nice and high for a while!), I have to see a consultant first. I'm hoping he'll schedule the infusion pretty quickly after that. I'm going private on it so I don't have to wait.
    You're very hard on yourself! 13.1@PMP is a monster session and you flew it. Please don't compare yourself to others. Yesterday's run is something to take a massive amount of confidence from.

I also wouldn't feel "behind" on PMP miles. The main goal of those sessions is to tune into a pace and you showed yesterday that you're well tuned into it.

You're doing really well!

Thanks so much Huzzah, your words are really helpful! Looking back on it I am pleased, I was initially a little jealous of others' times but I realise we're all aiming for different things. I decided what I wanted to achieve from the race and I did it.

And it's true that I'm better tuned into the faster pace now, compared to back in August when my Garmin misled me and I ran almost a minute per mile faster than I wanted without being able to tell. I now feel like I can definitely lock into that pace and I know what it should feel like.
    Doc76 wrote:
    Took water bottles at each station offered to carry along until the next one. Around mile 5 I took a gummie but couldn’t find the gel in my flipbelt. I lost some time here thru mile 6 trying to find it. Lesson learned carry more gels than I need.

I did something similar, and around the same point in the race! I packed my three gels randomly in my flip belt (two to take plus one spare) but at mile 5 decided to take a caffeine gel to see if it would have any effect. The one I pulled out was a non-caffeine one. I then had an awkward few minutes of messing around with the flip belt as I tried to put the wrong one back in and find the right one. The belt was really hard to move around because I was so sweaty and I treated everyone around me to a great view of my stomach as I pulled hopelessly at it. Amazingly I only lost a few seconds pacewise.

Advertisement