Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

:D:D I wish the time was children related.

Ah ok, I'll allow it so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rossi7

Anyone else falling out of love with it at the moment?

I'm really struggling, 18 weeks is a long time to stay focused on a goal.
    You and 20,000 other people are feeling the same, if they tell you different their lying. Just keep plugging away, feelings like this will make it all the more sweeter come the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Casey78 wrote: »
    I reckon far more people won't care than will care imo.
    Rugby is a minority sport in Ireland despite what RTE would have you believe.
    If it was the FIFA World Cup and Ireland were in the semi final it would be a different story.

The cross section of people willing to stand in the cold in late October and support the marathon and bandwagon fans who support sports like rugby is very small indeed.

Running, like soccer and GAA for example doesn't represent a social class unlike rugby which is seen as an aspirational brand for those who want to keep up with the joneses.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

GOOD LUCK tomorrow peeps running the half. Feeling a little nervous but excited all the same :)

Does anyone know what the gradient of the course is like? As in which miles are uphill (soz if this was mentioned already)? Good to prepare mentally for this!!

Went to Plaza health yesterday in Smithfield for a rub, feeling good today & the guy there is great if anyone is nearby and interested (his name is Nicolas).

So excited to go home and have a big bowl of pasta tonight.... mmmm :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

Does anyone know what the gradient of the course is like? As in which miles are uphill (soz if this was mentioned already)? Good to prepare mentally for this!

491113.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

3boyz wrote: »
    I suppose what I am wondering is if there is an effective way of setting up runs to help keep my pace under control, that sort of thing.
    I think by default the screen display on the watch shows distance ran, time running and current pace when you are doing an outdoors run.

You can however edit these screens to show what you would prefer to see.
    I would have avg pace set as the main centre metric on one of my screens so I can keep an eye on the average pace I've run since the start of the run. That way I have an idea if I'm on track or going too fast or too slow.

You can edit your screens on the watch, on the garmin connect app or on the garmin connect webpage which I think is probably the easiest way.

Go to the garmin connect website and log in to your account. Look for your device (Forerunner 45) and click on Device Settings. Once there look for the Activity Profiles tab and click that and select Run Outdoor. Once there you can now scroll down the page and you will see a section called Data Fields with Screen 1, Screen 2, Screen 3, Screen 4.

You can use the drop down boxes to change what is displayed on any of these screens. When finished click the Save Settings button at the bottom.

You then need to sync your watch so that the settings get transferred to it. Easiest way to do this is via your phone app.

Note that Garmin has two labels for Pace. There's pace and then there's avg pace.
    pace is your current pace and will change quickly if you're are going uphill or downhill.
    avg pace is the average pace since you started your run and will change more slowly depending on how long the run has been going on for. This will be the pace displayed for your run at the end when you save it.

Another useful thing may be to auto upload your runs to strava. I think you set that up on this page -> https://www.strava.com/upload/device and it will probably prompt you for your garmin account login details.

If you do the same route often then strava is good for telling you if you're going faster/slower etc.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Winding Mr G up is not permitted before taper :p
    Oh crap, wasn't aware of that rule. :o
    It's been the raison d'etre of my training thus far. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I think by default the screen display on the watch shows distance ran, time running and current pace when you are doing an outdoors run.

You can however edit these screens to show what you would prefer to see.
    I would have avg pace set as the main centre metric on one of my screens so I can keep an eye on the average pace I've run since the start of the run. That way I have an idea if I'm on track or going too fast or too slow.

You can edit your screens on the watch, on the garmin connect app or on the garmin connect webpage which I think is probably the easiest way.

Go to the garmin connect website and log in to your account. Look for your device (Forerunner 45) and click on Device Settings. Once there look for the Activity Profiles tab and click that and select Run Outdoor. Once there you can now scroll down the page and you will see a section called Data Fields with Screen 1, Screen 2, Screen 3, Screen 4.

You can use the drop down boxes to change what is displayed on any of these screens. When finished click the Save Settings button at the bottom.

You then need to sync your watch so that the settings get transferred to it. Easiest way to do this is via your phone app.

Note that Garmin has two labels for Pace. There's pace and then there's avg pace.
    pace is your current pace and will change quickly if you're are going uphill or downhill.
    avg pace is the average pace since you started your run and will change more slowly depending on how long the run has been going on for. This will be the pace displayed for your run at the end when you save it.

Another useful thing may be to auto upload your runs to strava. I think you set that up on this page -> https://www.strava.com/upload/device and it will probably prompt you for your garmin account login details.

If you do the same route often then strava is good for telling you if you're going faster/slower etc.
    Thanks deepblue, I'll look at that,

My own Garmin FR 235 is setup with a single data screen in addition to the HR Zone Gauge page enabled. The data screen contains distance, current pace, average pace and timer. In my short period as a runner, I haven't needed any further data whilst I'm out running though I'm open to suggestions on what else may be useful.

I have an alarm set for every 5Km I run and I have the auto scroll through the screens set to medium.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Soooooo... what you're saying is... we ARE allowed wind Mr. G up AFTER the taper starts?
    Hmmm... this I did not know... *rubs hands* mwa hahahahaaaaaaaa!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Anyone travelling from the Navan direction tomorrow? Best place to park near the park? I have a friend near the halfway house pub I can park at but not sure if too far from start line? Don't plan on leaving bags etc around have people with us holding gear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

py wrote: »
    My own Garmin FR 235 is setup with a single data screen in addition to the HR Zone Gauge page enabled. The data screen contains distance, current pace, average pace and timer. In my short period as a runner, I haven't needed any further data whilst I'm out running though I'm open to suggestions on what else may be useful.

I have an alarm set for every 5Km I run and I have the auto scroll through the screens set to medium.

GPS watches really come into their own when you're doing sessions. So, when you all graduate from this thread and you're keen to improve your PBs in shorter distances, no doubt you'll find a plan that will have sessions that would be pretty difficult to do (although not impossible) without the help of a watch.

It's as good a reason as any.

Taper madness does funny things to people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Done it a few times. Save some for the last mile that's all i can say!
    Its a horrible never ending slow uphill right hand hoooer.

Weather looking good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rossi7

rizzee wrote: »
    Anyone travelling from the Navan direction tomorrow? Best place to park near the park? I have a friend near the halfway house pub I can park at but not sure if too far from start line? Don't plan on leaving bags etc around have people with us holding gear :)
    Regardless of what direction your coming from, if you get in early there is plenty of parking along Chesterfield Ave and the surrounding areas

Good luck to everyone taking part tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting some of you, too. This has nothing to do with the promise of flapjacks. I swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Oh god, is this what I've become? :o
    DBB wrote: »
    Soooooo... what you're saying is... we ARE allowed wind Mr. G up AFTER the taper starts?
    Hmmm... this I did not know... *rubs hands* mwa hahahahaaaaaaaa!!!
    As my mother might say: "ye're fooling no one but yourselves" ;)

What are the mentors/masters/leaders thoughts on me doing the 100Km Great Dublin Bike Ride next week? :pac:

py wrote:
    What are the mentors/masters/leaders thoughts on me doing the 100Km Great Dublin Bike Ride next week?

I think after this many weeks you know the answer already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Hopefully bump into a few of ya along the way. Nervous anticipation building now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

What are the mentors/masters/leaders thoughts on me doing the 100Km Great Dublin Bike Ride next week? :pac:

Or the Great Fjord Killary Harbour swim 2 weeks before the marathon? :p Sure it's all arms for swimming. :D

Good luck tomorrow everyone! I've had a long day and I would love a bottle of gin for dinner.

I'll pop over to the FM104 truck afterwards and see who is around. :cool::cool:

PS: I don't know what anyone looks like! I can't figure out faces from Strava photos!

PS: I don't know what anyone looks like! I can't figure out faces from Strava photos!

Maybe people should write their boards name on their numbers?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

As a recent joinee to the Strava group, I'm getting a good few follow requests and just following back but can't tell by username :D Good luck tomorrow everyone! I'm buzzing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Good luck to everyone taking part tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting some of you, too. This has nothing to do with the promise of flapjacks. I swear.

Is there a secret signal to recognize each other? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow, especially to those running their first half marathon!!
    Enjoy the buzz!!!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I think after this many weeks you know the answer already ;)

It's cross training!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow everyone. Looking forward to meeting some of you :)

Do bear in mind that it's forecast to be quiet warm in the morning, so it might be wise to keep your target time conservative. As mentioned already, miles 3-8 are one big long gradual climb, so keep the pace under control along here and leave something in the tank for the latter part of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

rizzee wrote: »

The Half Way house is grand and close. Into the park at Ashtown Gate and walk straight across the grass to the Furze Road...no more than 10 mins walk/ 5 mins jog.

Good luck to anyone racing today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Good luck to everyone today, haven't been on this week , but got runs in and looking forward to half .

Advertisement