Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Good morning folks, have a few questions that I hope some of you can help.me with
    1. Foam rolling - am looking for a website\you tube video to find out how to do this correctly

2. Runny nose 🙈 my nose literally runs faster than my legs and it's a pain when out running as am trying to control my breathing and blow nose the whole time. Is there anything I can take or have any of you a cure

3. I bought a Garmin forerunner 45 last week and would appreciate any tips on how to get the most out of it.

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

3boyz wrote: »
    Good morning folks, have a few questions that I hope some of you can help.me with
    1. Foam rolling - am looking for a website\you tube video to find out how to do this correctly

2. Runny nose 🙈 my nose literally runs faster than my legs and it's a pain when out running as am trying to control my breathing and blow nose the whole time. Is there anything I can take or have any of you a cure

3. I bought a Garmin forerunner 45 last week and would appreciate any tips on how to get the most out of it.

many thanks

How have you found it so far, as in what have you used it for? If you log in via web Garmin connect, there are lots of playing around you can do to tailor what you want. It can be easier to view via web then app I find. The option is there then to export to excel which makes it easier to view all your runs in a confined space, where you can spot inclines, mile pacing and heart rate peaks very handily. The Find my phone on it is great and forever use it although its generally down the back of the couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Ok in case anyone else is wondering (although I think I’m alone here ;) ) I messaged the marathon people and they said there is parking within the park available on Saturday. Not sure where but just FYI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Doc76 wrote: »
    Ok in case anyone else is wondering (although I think I’m alone here ;) ) I messaged the marathon people and they said there is parking within the park available on Saturday. Not sure where but just FYI :)

There will be parking along Chesterfield Ave as there was last year. But I would imagine you will have to be there quite early to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

You can park at the papal cross but you have to be there early.
    If you miss there then head back towards town on Chesterfield & there's a couple of car parks on your right (think there might be cricket grounds there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck to all with the Half marathon on Sat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Hey Mentors,

Just wondering if it matters that I have been swapping the tue & wed sessions around during the week (doing the longer wed one on the tues instead)? I've been finding it easier doing this mentally (get the longer one done first), and just wondering if there is a reason it is on the wed etc?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Doc76 wrote: »

I haven't ever done the half in the Park, but for lots of other races, including FD10, I've parked on the roads up by the Garda HQ and it's been fine. I'd always be one to arrive in good time however :)

many thanks

On the runny nose, I assume this wasn't just hayfever over the summer? Do you have allergies maybe?

Hey Mentors,

Just wondering if it matters that I have been swapping the tue & wed sessions around during the week (doing the longer wed one on the tues instead)? I've been finding it easier doing this mentally (get the longer one done first), and just wondering if there is a reason it is on the wed etc?

Thanks!

Well leaving it until the Wednesday allows you that extra day recovery after the weekend's long run. I don't think there is really an issue with doing that on HH really, but maybe bear it in mind if you do start feeling pretty tired on the Tuesday runs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I haven't ever done the half in the Park, but for lots of other races, including FD10, I've parked on the roads up by the Garda HQ and it's been fine. I'd always be one to arrive in good time however :)

Thanks I had no issue parking during the FD 10 was hoping same true for this one which seems is the case. One less thing to worry about :) good luck to everyone racing

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

Quick question. Have my 32k run on Sat and was planning to do it in Phoenix Park so I can run on grass. Hoping to get there for 8a.m. I'm assuming I would be fine running about with the HM on?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Well leaving it until the Wednesday allows you that extra day recovery after the weekend's long run. I don't think there is really an issue with doing that on HH really, but maybe bear it in mind if you do start feeling pretty tired on the Tuesday runs.

Perfect thank you - I usually feel good on a Tuesday after 2 days off which is why I do it, rather than on the Wed, but I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Trampas

saffron22 wrote: »
    Quick question. Have my 32k run on Sat and was planning to do it in Phoenix Park so I can run on grass. Hoping to get there for 8a.m. I'm assuming I would be fine running about with the HM on?

Perfectly fine. It’s not unusual to see people running against the race on the footpaths. Just avoid the start and finish area as it’ll be busy and might not be able to run where you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Was just told that if Ireland make the semi final of the rugby world cup then it'll be on while the marathon is on.

Apart from us missing it, it might reduce the support on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

frash wrote: »
    Was just told that if Ireland make the semi final of the rugby world cup then it'll be on while the marathon is on.

Well, if they don't make it that far the rugby team can come out and support us. If they do, we will all have run 700-800Km solo at that stage without any cheerleaders so another 42Km is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Is it your first GPS watch? Do you already use strava? My sister got the 45s recently and I didn't find the user interface all that intuitive tbh.
    Garmin has a getting started video for it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=skwoIwZtYBM
    Something like this might be useful too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e2U_JD9F2M
    However this might all be old hat to you so maybe clarify what kind of tips you were looking for?

How have you found it so far, as in what have you used it for? If you log in via web Garmin connect, there are lots of playing around you can do to tailor what you want. It can be easier to view via web then app I find. The option is there then to export to excel which makes it easier to view all your runs in a confined space, where you can spot inclines, mile pacing and heart rate peaks very handily. The Find my phone on it is great and forever use it although its generally down the back of the couch.

Thanks Lambay island, I usually just use the app so I will have a look at the online version.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Is it your first GPS watch? Do you already use strava? My sister got the 45s recently and I didn't find the user interface all that intuitive tbh.
    Garmin has a getting started video for it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=skwoIwZtYBM
    Something like this might be useful too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e2U_JD9F2M
    However this might all be old hat to you so maybe clarify what kind of tips you were looking for?

I upgraded from a forerunner 15 which had no bluetooth so had to manually upload each run so am new to the garmin connect app and to Strava. Also previous watch was a lot more basic in terms of pace setting and so on. I suppose what I am wondering is if there is an effective way of setting up runs to help keep my pace under control, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I upgraded from a forerunner 15 which had no bluetooth so had to manually upload each run so am new to the garmin connect app and to Strava. Also previous watch was a lot more basic in terms of pace setting and so on. I suppose what I am wondering is if there is an effective way of setting up runs to help keep my pace under control, that sort of thing.

You can set up workouts using the app (under training > workouts). They can be as simple or complex as you like, and then you can transfer those to the watch via bluetooth. They should then show up on the watch under training, and you'll get beep reminders when you go above/below the prescribed pace. That's how it works on the 235 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Anyone else falling out of love with it at the moment?

I'm really struggling, 18 weeks is a long time to stay focused on a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Not falling out of love, but it's definitely work. The third midweek run in a row is a real slog for me. I know its supposed to be, to get used to running on tired legs. Only another few tough weeks then we start tapering. The end is in sight! We'll be well prepared and ready for the big day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

frash wrote: »

I reckon far more people won't care than will care imo.
    Rugby is a minority sport in Ireland despite what RTE would have you believe.
    If it was the FIFA World Cup and Ireland were in the semi final it would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yes, I'm in a similar boat, infact I'm captaining that ship after last night. Child woke me at 2am with bad dream. As hard as I tried, I never got back asleep until 20 minutes before my alarm(of course). The utter nonsense that went thru my head, in the intervening hours would put a psychologist kids thru college.

Its been really just this week for me, and I'm putting it down to the mini taper less mileage(more time to reflect) due to DCHM tomorrow. Hoping for a good kip tonight and a decent run tomor to reignite the "fire"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Rega wrote: »
    Not falling out of love, but it's definitely work. The third midweek run in a row is a real slog for me. I know its supposed to be, to get used to running on tired legs. Only another few tough weeks then we start tapering. The end is in sight! We'll be well prepared and ready for the big day!
    Yes, I'm in a similar boat, infact I'm captaining that ship after last night. Child woke me at 2am with bad dream. As hard as I tried, I never got back asleep until 20 minutes before my alarm(of course). The utter nonsense that went thru my head, in the intervening hours would put a psychologist kids thru college.

Its been really just this week for me, and I'm putting it down to the mini taper less mileage(more time to reflect) due to DCHM tomorrow. Hoping for a good kip tonight and a decent run tomor to reignite the "fire"

This is all perfectly normal. 18 weeks is a long time. I even felt last year that I was training for longer than 18 weeks because the marathon was the goal from the start of the year.

No doubt you're all tired and now that the novelty has worn off a bit, continuing to make the sacrifices you have is becoming irritating too.

As cliched as it is, if it was easy, everyone would do it. The training is the hard part, but it really is worth it and, as a good friend of mine would say, sure what else would you be doing?

The back is broken now on the hard work. Keep the heads down and taper will be here before you know it.

Thanks everyone, glad I'm not in my own.

Might do something slightly different for my 3 miles today.

I might go mad and run them quickly for the lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks everyone, glad I'm not in my own.

Might do something slightly different for my 3 miles today.

I might go mad and run them quickly for the lolz.

Winding Mr G up is not permitted before taper :p

Do you work nights?? I am hoping yes due to the lateness of this post :p

Do you work nights?? I am hoping yes due to the lateness of this post :p

:D:D I wish the time was children related.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone racing the HM in the Phoenix Park tomorrow, and to all long running it there or elsewhere :) They're giving 19/20 degrees tomorrow so hydrate well today.

For those who'll be in the PP tomorrow, we can meet up after the race near the FM104 truck, which is usually near the bag drop area. Myself and Huzzah! will probably loiter near there before the race also, but don't be worrying about coming over if you've to use the facilities, drop a bag in, warm-up etc :)

Advertisement