Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Bananaleaf, I will be doing the Dublin HM as a LSR this Saturday. You're welcome to join me and plod along. If you're not 100%, don't race it. Hope you feel better soon. :)

I also noticed a comment on doing 18 miles if you're not racing the HM. I was going to ask the fab mentors how many extra miles I needed to add. Am i missing a trick?! I didn't actually know that you added extra if you weren't racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Bananaleaf, I will be doing the Dublin HM as a LSR this Saturday. You're welcome to join me and plod along. If you're not 100%, don't race it. Hope you feel better soon. :)

I also noticed a comment on doing 18 miles if you're not racing the HM. I was going to ask the fab mentors how many extra miles I needed to add. Am i missing a trick?! I didn't actually know that you added extra if you weren't racing.

Sunday Runner - thanks for that - I think this would be a lovely idea. Are you a 12-12:30min/mile runner for LSR?

I woke up today feeling much better and I was nearly wondering if I should at least do the HM at PMP to get something out of it at least? If mentors say this is a good idea what do you think?

I think I will try 4miles easy this evening if I still feel as good as I do now later on.

It's all well and good doing this with a ready made plan, be it HH or boards or whatever - but it is at times like this when there are bumps in the road that the comfort of having a mentor to guide you and advise you is so so comforting. I haven't experienced that until this week so thank you mentors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Out of interest where did you buy from? I need to buy a new pair of Saucony ISO Guide 2s as well. Thanks

Sportsshoes.com one of the lads in work recommended. Only 57.49 for the Saucony Guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

py wrote: »
    I'm unsure about the pacer right now tbh. I feel I'm pretty good at pacing myself so it's not a necessity but having one less thing to think about on the day may be good.

Edit: I'm also 5Kg lighter than when I ran FD10

If you're feeling adventurous then going with the 1:50 pacers and seeing if you can hang on (or better) is the option - at least you won't finish wondering. A more cautious approach would be start at 1:55 pace and pick it up over the closing miles (legs allowing).

Edit: I would add that starting behind target pace and keeping pace in check over the opening 8 or so miles seems to be the best strategy given the course profile.

Doc76 wrote: »
    Good to know thanks! Happy to see they have pacers for slower people :)

Mentors any thoughts re: starting out with 2:30 pace group (above time I’m hoping for) then picking up pace after first 1/2 or even first few miles for negative splits (fingers crossed!) I’d love to finish around 2:20 although I know this is ambitious!

The course has a lot of climbing up until miles 8/9, and a chance to gain time after that, so yeah, starting out slower than target pace and picking it up over the closing miles is definitely a decent strategy.

• Advertisement

My sub 1.50 pace band looks like this;
    Sprint for 1.49.53

Works out as an 8.22 average. Will hope for a bit better but will see how it feels on the day. Every time I check the weather it’s getting hotter, so that’s a worry after the impact the heat had on the 10 mile.

eabha19 wrote: »
    I'm planning on running with the 2 hour pacer. 1:58 is my pb but that was on a flat course on a cold (wind and rain too) day at Mullingar on Paddy's Day.

That seems like a fine strategy.

A note for everyone following pacers - the pacers at DCM are excellent, they will follow the same pace mile after mile, whether uphill or downhill. As far as I know the pacers on Saturday will be similar - i.e. run an even pace no matter the gradient. So, don't feel like you have to be stuck to the pacer, if you're going uphill then allow them pull away a touch - there will be plenty opportunity later in the race to gradually reel them back in.

Miles 3-8 are pretty much a gradual climb all the way - keep things under control through here and you'll have the reserves to take advantage of the friendlier miles later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

I'll save the pacing speech this week so :)

Are you doing the Half, yeah?

Yes I am indeed doing the half, Mr G!

With training in between 11.30-12.00 pace (most of the time), I'm aiming to stick around 10.00 - 10.25 mark for the weekend - would love to hear your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Ais_Byrne7 wrote: »
    Yes I am indeed doing the half, Mr G!

With training in between 11.30-12.00 pace (most of the time), I'm aiming to stick around 10.00 - 10.25 mark for the weekend - would love to hear your thoughts.

On the basis that your current half PB is 2:18, or 10:32 per mile, I'd start at the slower end of what you suggest, ie 10:25 and see how you feel later in the race, maybe after mile 8 and push on a bit if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Huzzah! wrote: »
    On the basis that your current half PB is 2:18, or 10:32 per mile, I'd start at the slower end of what you suggest, ie 10:25 and see how you feel later in the race, maybe after mile 8 and push on a bit if you can.

Thank you Huzzah for the quick reply - that's exactly what i'll do so :)

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Sunday Runner - thanks for that - I think this would be a lovely idea. Are you a 12-12:30min/mile runner for LSR?

I THINK i'm going to be 10:50 - 11:00 min/mile Bananaleaf. Well that's the plan anyway. My husband is doing his first (and most definitely his last) half marathon this Saturday too. He hasn't decided on his run strategy yet - he's very casual about the whole thing, he just wants to do it. I may run with him, if he wants me to that is. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

coming back from injury and haven't done many miles, did half marathon on Monday and found it easy
    going to do some long runs between marathon on a easy program and enjoy the DCM on the day without any goal other than to finish
    someone mentioned using HM as a long run this wknd and not racing it
    if I feel good and race it would there much impact to training for DCM after
    I mean is it possible to tell what impact racing it v treating it as a LSR would have on my DCM bearing in mind I have low mileage built up so far
    probably a hard one to answer with such limited info?
    half tempted to race but don't think I will, best to be sensible...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

If you're feeling adventurous then going with the 1:50 pacers and seeing if you can hang on (or better) is the option - at least you won't finish wondering. A more cautious approach would be start at 1:55 pace and pick it up over the closing miles (legs allowing).

Edit: I would add that starting behind target pace and keeping pace in check over the opening 8 or so miles seems to be the best strategy given the course profile.

Thanks for that. The heat is definitely going to be a concern for me. Water stations didn't go well the last time so I'm opting to bring my hydration pack this time so I can do a proper race based test run for the DCM. Right now it's saying 17 degrees for Saturday morning, the only potential saving grace is that there'll be 20Km/hr winds so that may assist with cooling the body down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got my 7km done yesterday, can't make the 10km today, is it wise to do even a 3 or 5km tomorrow or am I better off resting with Saturday in mind?

Can I get an idea of peoples rough meal plans the next 2 days also?

Crucial dos and don'ts to be aware of? :D

rizzee wrote: »
    Got my 7km done yesterday, can't make the 10km today, is it wise to do even a 3 or 5km tomorrow or am I better off resting with Saturday in mind?

Can I get an idea of peoples rough meal plans the next 2 days also?

Crucial dos and don'ts to be aware of? :D

You can definitely do a very easy/recovery run tomorrow.

Crucial dos: hydrate and eat well and make sure you get enough sleep in the run up to the race. Thursday night's sleep is just as important as Friday night's.

coming back from injury and haven't done many miles, did half marathon on Monday and found it easy
    going to do some long runs between marathon on a easy program and enjoy the DCM on the day without any goal other than to finish
    someone mentioned using HM as a long run this wknd and not racing it
    if I feel good and race it would there much impact to training for DCM after
    I mean is it possible to tell what impact racing it v treating it as a LSR would have on my DCM bearing in mind I have low mileage built up so far
    probably a hard one to answer with such limited info?
    half tempted to race but don't think I will, best to be sensible...

I don't think there's anything to be gained from racing it at this point. It doesn't sound like you're at full fitness for one thing. More to be gained from a long, slow run if enjoying DCM is the goal.

I woke up today feeling much better and I was nearly wondering if I should at least do the HM at PMP to get something out of it at least? If mentors say this is a good idea what do you think?

I think I will try 4miles easy this evening if I still feel as good as I do now later on.

It's all well and good doing this with a ready made plan, be it HH or boards or whatever - but it is at times like this when there are bumps in the road that the comfort of having a mentor to guide you and advise you is so so comforting. I haven't experienced that until this week so thank you mentors :)

How was your run this evening Bananaleaf? I don't know... 13 miles at PMP is a hell of a session in it's own right. Plus, if the weather does turn out to be very warm then we could be advising everyone to drastically reduce their expectations anyway. I'm inclined to say stick with the LSR plan for now, and maybe re-assess on Friday?

I went out for a run tonight. I had planned on 6miles but settled for 4 as I just knew 6m was too much of an ask so soon after the cold.

I was considering the idea of trying the half at marathon pace, but I think I will just do it at LSR pace, which is 12:30 min/m.

I think if I try MP and fail it will have done more harm than good to my confidence, as pointed out by Mr Guappa a few posts back.

I guess I am now following the 'not racing the half' plan for this week. I will at least aim for 18miles on Saturday and 4m tomorrow, meaning I will have only really missed out on an 8m easy.

Does that sound okay?

Thanks for that. The heat is definitely going to be a concern for me. Water stations didn't go well the last time so I'm opting to bring my hydration pack this time so I can do a proper race based test run for the DCM. Right now it's saying 17 degrees for Saturday morning, the only potential saving grace is that there'll be 20Km/hr winds so that may assist with cooling the body down.

Yeah, given the course profile and forecasted weather it seems sensible to keep things very much in check in the early going. I should also note that we are taking on this race in the middle of intense training with only a very slight taper, so it's unlikely we'll achieve our optimum HM time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hi all,

Where would the best place to park be on Saturday near to Phoenix Park ? I’m coming from the naas direction .

Thanks all

• Advertisement

I went out for a run tonight. I had planned on 6miles but settled for 4 as I just knew 6m was too much of an ask so soon after the cold.

I was considering the idea of trying the half at marathon pace, but I think I will just do it at LSR pace, which is 12:30 min/m.

I think if I try MP and fail it will have done more harm than good to my confidence, as pointed out by Mr Guappa a few posts back.

I guess I am now following the 'not racing the half' plan for this week. I will at least aim for 18miles on Saturday and 4m tomorrow, meaning I will have only really missed out on an 8m easy.

Does that sound okay?

4 tomorrow seems fine and I do think treating Saturday as an LSR is for the best. I'd have no problem leaving it at just the 13 tbh, and following with 3m recovery Sunday. That would still be 24 miles for the week... not bad at all considering you laid up for two of the days. It's difficult to advise on, and depends on just how sick you were, and how you feel come Friday/Saturday I suppose, but I'd rather do too little than too much. Move into next week then with a clean slate feeling 100%.

How was your run this evening Bananaleaf? I don't know... 13 miles at PMP is a hell of a session in it's own right. Plus, if the weather does turn out to be very warm then we could be advising everyone to drastically reduce their expectations anyway. I'm inclined to say stick with the LSR plan for now, and maybe re-assess on Friday?

Yep, you are so right. In this instance, and keeping the main thing in mind, I think it would be safer to aim low and hit (LSR pace) than to aim high and miss (PMP)

LSR pace it is. I will aim for 18m and sure if I'm not feeling it on Friday, will just do the 13 (.1 :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Clibee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Where would the best place to park be on Saturday near to Phoenix Park ? I’m coming from the naas direction .

Thanks all

I’m looking to find this out too especially since the course is along the outer boundaries of the park? Last race I parked in one of the inner car parks but not sure if allowed for this one? Can anyone comment from previous years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Clibee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks all

Head through Lucan and onto the back roads to the Phoenix Park via the Strawberry Beds. The Anglers Rest pub just down from the Knockmaroon Gate entrance has a car park and it's where I always park when doing a race in the Park. It's a bit of a walk to the start line but just use it as a warm up.

rizzee wrote: »

Can I get an idea of peoples rough meal plans the next 2 days?

I keep things simple Rizzee. Porridge or overnight oats with frozen berries or a protein shake. During the week I mostly have the shake though, which I make with almond milk, ice and a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Lunch is always chicken, salad or a whole meal wrap. For dinner the night before a run I have been eating chicken, veg and rice. Boring as hell, but it seems to work ok for me. I snack on blueberries, strawberries, cherry tomatoes and rice cakes. I try stay away from scones, pastries and things like that to stop bloating.

That said, I’m after having a mug of tea and most of a bag of chocolate nuts. ðŸ·

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

Anyone know where I'd get High5 Zero tablets in Dublin city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Elverys sports sell them, i got some in the one in Fonthill. Think theres one near Stephens Green but not sure of other locations!

Runlogic in temple bar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I get gels and zero tablets etc in local bike shops. There seems to be more of them than running shops.

• Advertisement

Elverys sports sell them, i got some in the one in Fonthill. Think theres one near Stephens Green but not sure of other locations!

I usually go to the Elvery’s on Suffolk Street. They’ve usually got a decent selection of gels and zero tabs.

Advertisement