Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Huzzah! wrote: »
    - Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, I got all the runs in. I was working off a modified week, which Mr Guappa planned out for those of us racing yesterday. Accidentally did 5m instead of 4m on Wed, so purposely did 4m instead of 5m on Thur
    - Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes. All at an appropriate pace.

Ten weeks to go and we're approaching the halfway mark in the plans. There’s been a noticeable lull in motivation this week and last ....
    Hopefully, the ... opportunity to race will rekindle that motivation for you.

This is exactly what has happened to me. The Kilcock 10mile has really boosted my confidence. Even at half way, when I wasn't sure I could go on, it was lovely to get 5 miles in above MP if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'm sure its been asked a dozen times already but can anyone recommend any decent energy gels? Theres only so many haribo sweets I can eat in a week.

It's a matter of personal preference. High 5 gels are very popular and are sometimes sold in Lidl.

Maurten gels are the new kid on the block and are also proving popular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I'm sure its been asked a dozen times already but can anyone recommend any decent energy gels? Theres only so many haribo sweets I can eat in a week.

I find the SIS gels the best but everyone is going to have different opinions and favourites which means no one is actually going to be right or wrong when they recommend a gel.
    You need to buy a few samples of different brands and find what you like and what works for you, what works for you might not work for someone else. I can't stomach the High 5 gels for example, some of my buddies swear by them though.
    The Maurten ones are overpriced imo and not significantly better than any of the rest to warrant the extra expense imo. They work but from my experience not any better than others I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

How was week eight for you?
    Good until now, my achilles is starting to annoy me again, have to concentrate on not forgetting my prehab exercises on it.
    All Runs complete.
    Mon 3mile 11.15/mile
    Tue 4mile 10.05/mile
    Wed 8mile 9.07/mile
    Thu 4mile 10.10/mile
    Sat 16mile 10.25/mile
    Sun 2mile 11.00/mile
    Could probably have stayed a touch slower and will try this week to ease back with FD10M on sat. Aim for Sat is to stay steady and strong, and hopefully break 85mins

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I find the SIS Isotonic gels best, they're very easy on the stomach, easy to absorb when you're working hard and you don't need to follow them with water like other gels.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Miklos wrote: »
    I find the SIS Isotonic gels best, they're very easy on the stomach, easy to absorb when you're working hard and you don't need to follow them with water like other gels.

Yeah they are they ones I use. Find them great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Phoenix Park is great for a run but it's definitely a tough place to race, so you're allowed stay :)

Is the 10k time of 1:07 your most recent race time? Was that an all-out effort?

My most recent 10k was 1:01:07 at the South Dublin 10k in July which was a lot flatter course than the park will be! I raced it but don’t feel like it was an all out effort (lots of congestion on the canal and at the start and started conservatively). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Is this the course for this years FD 10 mile?
    https://www.strava.com/running-races/2017-frank-duffy-10-mile?hl=en-GB

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Route is here http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/KBC_DRS19_FD10M-MAP-3.pdf looks similar although not exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done to all who raced the weekend:)

All runs completed as planned

Happy enough with my paces, working on consistency each week!

Looking forward to FD the weekend to get that buzz from a race :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

All runs completed
    On the advice provided I dropped the pace to and I'm feeling comfortable with how it's going so far.

On semi holiday at the minute so will be Wesht Cork running this week :D

I've two stags this weekend coming (I'm getting far too old for this craic :o)
    Would this schedule work as they're no hope of running Sat & Sun?
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Boards|rest/cross/3M rec|4M with 5 x strides|5M easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|17m lsr|stag|stag

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Well done to all who raced Kilcock yesterday! I ran the Trim 10 mile yesterday as part of my LSR, it's a nice route.

Not bad, Back using My Fitness Pal to keep a check on food and fuel, especially this week with the 10 mile race. Did a few heavy weights sessions at the gym last week and my legs were very very sore on Saturday. Delayed DOMS.

I met the mileage (and a bit extra), but I had to do 2 x 10km and my LSR of 25km.

Probably a bit fast still, but I am slowing it down.

I looked at the video on checking the runners (thank you!) and i don't think my runners are worn down yet. That said, my feet were covered in blisters after my LSR.

Looks like my Garmin watch is faulty and I need to have it replaced. One I go above 17km, it records the run summary as an activity, but doesn't save to Connect. It will be FOC, but it's a pain. The customer service rep asked me to factory reset it and do a long run today to see if that works. Eh, no mate.

Good tip on the spare hair bobbin! I think the plait is a good idea though.

Hmmm fig rolls, might try those! I had two gels on my LSR and a nuun tablet in a bottle of water. No adverse reactions this week, but I had had a pot of greek yogurt pre-run. Maybe that helped.

When should we start to think about clothing for marathon, is it too early to start thinking about race gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

When should we start to think about clothing for marathon, is it too early to start thinking about race gear?

I would be planning for this now. You should have your marathon outfit tested on a number of LSRs to ensure no adverse reactions. if you plan to wear a belt for gels/water, you should practise that too beforehand. Also same with runners, if you need a new pair for the marathon, make sure you break them in properly before it (recovery/easy miles -> PMP miles -> LSRs)

Doc76 wrote: »
    My most recent 10k was 1:01:07 at the South Dublin 10k in July which was a lot flatter course than the park will be! I raced it but don’t feel like it was an all out effort (lots of congestion on the canal and at the start and started conservatively). Thanks!

In 2016, I ran 1:45 in FD and had barely skimmed in under the hour for the Race Series 10k but I wasn't long after my first Half, so 1:45 might be a stretch but still within your abilities.

jackc101 wrote: »
    All runs completed
    On the advice provided I dropped the pace to and I'm feeling comfortable with how it's going so far.

On semi holiday at the minute so will be Wesht Cork running this week :D

I've two stags this weekend coming (I'm getting far too old for this craic :o)
    Would this schedule work as they're no hope of running Sat & Sun?
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Boards|rest/cross/3M rec|4M with 5 x strides|5M easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|17m lsr|stag|stag

You've combined the non-race schedule with the race schedule but I actually think that might work okay. Rest on Thursday and if the LSR is feeling like too much of a slog on the Friday, don't force it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

^^ Some great race reports there. Well done all and good luck to this week's racers.

- How was week eight for you?

I think this week had the first run where I got totally soaked running in the rain. I'd just missed the rain the day before as it just stopped as I was getting out of the car to start my run but it caught me with a vengance the following day. It was grand though.
    I ran my LSR at the slower end of lsr pace so it meant this was probably the longest I was on my feet running and it did feel it towards the end. Had to cut it very slightly short at the end (less than a quarter of a mile) but was glad it was over.

Yes except for the last recovery run. Went for a cycle instead.

This might be the first week that I did all at the correct pace. PMP and LSR was bang on. Easy runs were within the pace bands.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    ^^ Some great race reports there. Well done all and good luck to this week's racers.

- How was week eight for you?

I think this week had the first run where I got totally soaked running in the rain. I'd just missed the rain the day before as it just stopped as I was getting out of the car to start my run but it caught me with a vengance the following day. It was grand though.
    I ran my LSR at the slower end of lsr pace so it meant this was probably the longest I was on my feet running and it did feel it towards the end. Had to cut it very slightly short at the end (less than a quarter of a mile) but was glad it was over.

Yes except for the last recovery run. Went for a cycle instead.

This might be the first week that I did all at the correct pace. PMP and LSR was bang on. Easy runs were within the pace bands.

I think there was only six days between your LSRs too, which would've added to the difficulty. Not a criticism, just an observation. I appreciate sometimes life requires us to juggle our schedules around.

I also notice you ran parkrun the day after your LSR at close to PB pace. I'm just going to advise caution on this one. If you want to get your parkrun fix in, is there any way you could combine it into the LSR or run it at a slower pace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

In 2016, I ran 1:45 in FD and had barely skimmed in under the hour for the Race Series 10k but I wasn't long after my first Half, so 1:45 might be a stretch but still within your abilities.

Good to know thank you! I’ll start out on the slower side and then ramp it up if I’m feeling able for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Well done to all those who raced at the weekend!

I didn't run at all last week with injury. Unfortunately it hasn't improved yet. I'm seeing physio again tomorrow. It's so frustrating...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Fraggle07 wrote: »

I didn't run at all last week with injury. Unfortunately it hasn't improved yet. I'm seeing physio again tomorrow. It's so frustrating...

It is very frustrating but worth getting expert advice & coming back feeling stronger:) Best of luck at the physio!

Fraggle07 wrote: »

Sorry to hear this. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Week 8 was all about prepping for the Kilcock 10 mile and so, as planned, there were less miles during the week. Kind of looking forward this week to getting back to the PMP run on Wednesday and trying my second 16 miler - thinking of trying a new route to stop boredom setting in once I don't get myself lost!

Yes although my plan was adjusted for the race and I switched two of the mid-week runs.

After taking Monday off my legs were more fresh on Tuesday and, between that and my dog pulling me in her wild enthusiasm, pace was probably up a bit. Otherwise I was more or less there I think.

P.S. Is it normal to have very high heart rate in racing - obviously I would expect it to be up but average was 172 with 184 for last km, training effort on garmin was 5. Just wondering if it was a sign that I was pushing myself too hard or is that not what you're supposed to do in a race.

eabha19 wrote: »

Week 8 was all about prepping for the Kilcock 10 mile and so, as planned, there were less miles during the week. Kind of looking forward this week to getting back to the PMP run on Wednesday and trying my second 16 miler - thinking of trying a new route to stop boredom setting in once I don't get myself lost!

Yes although my plan was adjusted for the race and I switched two of the mid-week runs.

After taking Monday off my legs were more fresh on Tuesday and, between that and my dog pulling me in her wild enthusiasm, pace was probably up a bit. Otherwise I was more or less there I think.

P.S. Is it normal to have very high heart rate in racing - obviously I would expect it to be up but average was 172 with 184 for last km, training effort on garmin was 5. Just wondering if it was a sign that I was pushing myself too hard or is that not what you're supposed to do in a race.

Tis, indeed. You're supposed to push yourself hard in a race and the HR will reflect that.

I have been known to be disgusted with myself for not hitting max in a 5k race :p

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

It was a disaster
    Picked up an injury and went to physio
    Rest and Ice has been the way all week.
    Suspect injury came from not stretching and warming up correctly.

Picked up an ankle injury while running and so couldn't complete any runs.

N/a

Currently down for the fd10 HM and DCM

Worst week training to date.

Soulsun wrote: »
    It was a disaster
    Picked up an injury and went to physio
    Rest and Ice has been the way all week.
    Suspect injury came from not stretching and warming up correctly.

Picked up an ankle injury while running and so couldn't complete any runs.

N/a

Currently down for the fd10 HM and DCM

Worst week training to date.

Sorry to hear this.

Did the physio suggest when you can run again? Were you give exercises?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

How was week 8?

Had good week, all runs done , reduced wed run by 2km as knee was bit sore . LSR was ok, last couple of miles tough but was happy with it . Looking forward to FD10mile

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Week 8 went well. I got all runs done. I didn't do the run on Wednesday at full PMP as legs still felt a bit heavy from the R&R half marathon on Sunday. LSR was done at @ 6.23 pace per kilometer. I brought a bottle of water with me with a Zero tab in it. I took sips till it was gone at 10K. I had my first gel since the plan started at 13k. I then bought a bottle of water which I dropped another zero tab in. Google pay is handy on the phone to just tap and go. Do you think this rehydration system is ok. Roll on week 9, and good luck to all of you with races the weekend. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement you have given to us all so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Tis, indeed. You're supposed to push yourself hard in a race and the HR will reflect that.

I have been known to be disgusted with myself for not hitting max in a 5k race :p

Thanks for that Huzzah - reassuring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

Not in great shape at the moment, going to break for a few days before I break. Kind of slightly rolled my left (the better of the 2) ankle on LSR on sat, and on sat eve/sun morn my achilles was in pain, stiff and weak. Done Recovery Runs on Sun and Mon (maybe bad idea, but wanted to loosen it out) and am treating it with ice/heat, heel drops, etc since. Not great this morn, prob worse than before. Have physio appt on Thurs, already know from before he will say stop running. Hopefully a few days rest and treatment might have it OK for sat, but I know in the back of my head a tendon is very slow to heal. ☹️

Advertisement