Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

DBB wrote: »
    Hey Huzzah!
    Yes, I started the HM plan maybe 3 weeks, earlier than necessary, and got to the 5 mile midweek runs earlier accordingly. The 3 mile midweek run, I upped to 4 miles for a good few weeks too, all with the aim of getting the weekly miles up a bit.
    I felt better as today went on too, just had hit a bit of a slump when I posted earlier :o
    Thanks for your help Huzzah!, tis appreciated!

Great - so after keeping this week to plan to allow recovery (I'm like a dog with a bone :p), you have the following options:

1. stay on HHN1 but keeping your midweek mileage where it is currently to allow the plan "catch up" with you. Follow the LSRs per plan. The plan allows for step-back weeks which are important; or
    2. Follow the Boards plan. You can run all your runs by HR except the session, which would be done according to pace.

Hi All, I got my ticket in the July round. Enjoying reading your posts. Here is my little bio.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5km 23.09 Feb 2019
    1/2 Marathon 1.56 March 19

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

Not usually.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Train 5 days a wk. Have 180km cycle with half marathon after Aug bank holiday wkend.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Would love sub 4. But anything really.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Train 5 maybe 6 with recovery. Think novice 2 plan.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Not being able to finish. ������

Why are you running this marathon?

I really want to����

Hello and welcome. You've a busy summer ahead. Take a look at the Boards plan, I think it might suit you.

TillyDcm wrote: »
    Week 2 on HHN1 plan complete.
    Mon 3 miles @ avg 10:34/mi
    Tues 3 miles @ avg 11:15/mi
    Wed 3 miles @ avg 11:07/mi
    Sat 7 miles (4m + parkrun) @ avg 10:58/mi
    Sun 5k race, which I took very easy @ avg 10:29/mi

I had a 10 minute gap between my 4 miles and the start of the parkrun on Saturday. Does this break take away from the long run in any way? I will try to time these runs better so that I am arriving at the parkrun closer to the start time.

Hi Tilly, you've gotten some advice on the LSR already. The only other comment I'd have on your week is that it all looks a little fast. Try and slow the runs down even more.

frash wrote: »
    Can't get the 5th day of running in

Ah, okay. The pace runs in HHN2 are giving me pause. They seem to ramp up quite quickly and you're jumping in at week three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭py

Singer wrote: »
    Unless you are planning to take 10 minute breaks in the marathon itself, then it's not ideal! The long runs need to be run contiguously to prepare the body for what will happen to it on marathon day.

Going to take this under consideration as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Ah, okay. The pace runs in HHN2 are giving me pause. They seem to ramp up quite quickly and you're jumping in at week three.

I'm ahead of the HHN1 plan and have been doing 6 miles on a Tuesday evening for a while now at an easy pace. ( I run Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday)

Week 3 of the HHN2 plan has 5 miles at PMP so I should be ok for that tonight.

EDIT - does anyone have the HHN2 in Excel format so that I can put in the dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Boards plan Week 2 – complete. Did the LSR on Friday evening instead of Sat morning.

Monday – 4.38 miles. Average 9:12 / Mile

Tuesday – 3.50 miles. Average 9:31 / Mile

Weds – 4.41 miles (Mile 1 – 9:00 W/U, Mile 2 - 8:40, Mile 3 - 8:42, Mile 4 – 8:45, C/D)

Thurs – 3.24 Miles. Average 9:39 / Mile

Friday – 10 Miles. Average 9:26 / Mile. (Slightly Fast I think)

Sat – 1Km easy swim (just relaxation / recovery!)

Sun – 45KM slow cycle.

So next week is the Race series 10k which I am not doing. Is the boards plan tailored for that race and if so what should anyone who is not entered in the race do?

Also I had targeted a 10 miler at the end of Jul (Mullingar 10). Should I do the plan for that week and instead of the LSR (15 miles) just race the 10 miler?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Arsenium wrote: »
    Boards plan Week 2 – complete. Did the LSR on Friday evening instead of Sat morning.

Monday – 4.38 miles. Average 9:12 / Mile

Tuesday – 3.50 miles. Average 9:31 / Mile

Weds – 4.41 miles (Mile 1 – 9:00 W/U, Mile 2 - 8:40, Mile 3 - 8:42, Mile 4 – 8:45, C/D)

Thurs – 3.24 Miles. Average 9:39 / Mile

Friday – 10 Miles. Average 9:26 / Mile. (Slightly Fast I think)

Sat – 1Km easy swim (just relaxation / recovery!)

Sun – 45KM slow cycle.

So next week is the Race series 10k which I am not doing. Is the boards plan tailored for that race and if so what should anyone who is not entered in the race do?

Also I had targeted a 10 miler at the end of Jul (Mullingar 10). Should I do the plan for that week and instead of the LSR (15 miles) just race the 10 miler?

Thanks again.

That's a bit more mileage than the Boards plan has for week 2? Have you been adding some extra?
    Yeah, you are speedy but could gain from slowing down the easy and long runs a touch alright :)

We'll advise what to do instead of the 10k, there's no obligation to do those races so will absolutely have an alternative for you (I just don't know it right now!). Re the 10 miler, that does sound ok but we'll look again maybe at the start of that week?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Ahhhh....my favourite thread of all time on Boards....oh how I missed you :D

As quick intro I have done the DCM 3 times, 2014 (lots of pain), 2015 (slightly less pain) and 2018 (had a ball), so I have entered it again for my 'last DCM'....although I say that every year (stupid infectious DCM atmosphere) !

Best of luck Novices, this is super thread and you will all gain invaluable information on training, nutrition, race prepp and good all round fun and support on your DCM journey.

Well done Mr Guappa and supporting backroom staff/mentors, I will follow this thread (as normal) in the coming weeks and months and I will no doubt pick up lots of tips along the way as always.

Good to see some of the old DCM Boardies back on the thread again, fair play to ya.....

It's going to be a blast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

clickhere wrote: »
    Did you get all the runs in. Yes I got all the runs in with a few KMs added on as on holidays next week. Did you run at appropriate pace.... Tuesday 10.13kms@6.29=1:05:38. Wednesday 10.38kms@5.41=58:59. PMP. Thursday 10.05kms @6.26=1:04:36. Saturday 21.73 KMs @6.22=2:18:17. Sunday 4. 38@ 6.27 = 28.16. Really enjoying the LSR, but think I need to go slower.

Any advice on this. Thank you.

• Advertisement

clickhere wrote: »
    Any advice on this. Thank you.

Hi there

How does it feel? You're doing well managing the paces. Maybe keep the LSRs to 6:30/km and slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

For tomorrow's 5mile + hills ...

There is a place near where I live with hills, but I dont know that area well enough to do the 5m in. My plan was to do the 5m in my locality and then hop in the car for a quick 5min drive to where I can do the hills. Is that ok? If it's not ideal I can drive out to the hill area this evening and plot a run hopefully.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'd agree with Huzzah that your paces are close to right. Based on your PMP ,which is possibly on the ambitious side, your LSR is within 40 odd seconds of that per km. That's definitely on the limit and gives you scope to slow it a little bit.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    For tomorrow's 5mile + hills ...

There is a place near where I live with hills, but I dont know that area well enough to do the 5m in. My plan was to do the 5m in my locality and then hop in the car for a quick 5min drive to where I can do the hills. Is that ok? If it's not ideal I can drive out to the hill area this evening and plot a run hopefully.

Thank you

It's five miles including hills - sorry if that wasn't clear from my post. Ideally, the hills would be incorporated into the run rather than cooling down and then attempting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

It's five miles including hills - sorry if that wasn't clear from my post. Ideally, the hills would be incorporated into the run rather than cooling down and then attempting them.

It probably was clear but I just didnt read it right, apologies. Okay, I will drive out this evening and plot a route to incorporate the hills. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Evening all,
    I'm a little late to the forum and posting, but better late than never, so on week 2 of my official 16 week plan, just back from hill( on treadmill) and feel good.

Little bit about me, turning 40 in Dec and was lucky enough to get into Dublin as I'm based overseas, Singapore ( the little red dot). So all my runs are sweaty and generally 30degrees plus.
    My goal with the marathon is to get around, no particular time in mind as I'm slow, but that's ok. To finish and get the medal is the aim, Have done 5 half marathons before, the last being December .

I've a love hate relationship with running, was big into Crossfit a few years back and running didn't feature as much.

So current plan is mobility (focus on tight hip flexors, ankles and glutes) with PT on Monday am, Run Tue, PT session on Wed, Running with group, track and tempo runs on Thur, Rest Fri, 3-4 miles run on sat and long run on Sun..
    . thats the gist and hopefully I'll stay sound. foam rolling too is becoming my new friend, there's a love hate relationship, hate doing it , love the feeling after, .. Plan to check in every few weeks, spend too much time on laptop at work to want to look at it when I'm home in the eve.

not too sure what else, oh ya have signed up for a few races, some short, but can't find a half out here, most of them are at back end of the year, there's a nice 18.45KM Competitive Run on the 29th Sep, need to see will I be around to do that, if not my PT ( just back from wall of china marathon ) said she'll run a half with me...... I'm not sure who is crazier her or me.

ps answers are here

5km 30 mins, 10km 1:02- I'm slow but that ok,
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)- not really only if I'm completly lost in terms of focus and not enjoying it, stopped to watch an otter the other day and ran the last 2km home totally reinvorgated

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.- see above

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

just get round and enjoy it as best I can
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?3/4 following Tom Holland Marathon Method, probably should have done Hal hidgon, but looking at the two,, there isn't too much difference I feel, need to look at them again,
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?- lack of hills, hence the run on treadmill this eve, Singapore is flat, and I know there are parts of Dublin that are hilly, saw a hill the other night when driving him, will scout it out this wknd, and see if it's ok, but not having hills scares me , plus the cold , (joke), it will be refreshing, and I should be faster and home in normal temps
    Why are you running this marathon?, Because, I said last year, I'd like to do one to celebrate turning 40, and have huge admiration for anyone that does plus, it's a bucket list item ticked off, after that cos I think I have one in me :)

ok signing off, will check in a few days,
    night all

C

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'd agree with Huzzah that your paces are close to right. Based on your PMP ,which is possibly on the ambitious side, your LSR is within 40 odd seconds of that per km. That's definitely on the limit and gives you scope to slow it a little bit.

Thanks Huzzah and Skyblue46 for the replies. Agree that the PMP might be ambitious, I just ran at that pace to see what it was like and it was in the plan . As you have all been saying it's too early to be thinking about PMP yet. I will carry on with the LSR and see how things go. Thanks for the advice again.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Hi all,
    Could someone email me both plans please as i cant download either plan in work some security issue i presume.
    email address is jd0x@hotmail.com
    i want to print off both plans and decide which one to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

DeepBlue wrote: »
    For this week I'll be swapping the Wednesday and Saturday runs around as I have a parkrun tourist trip on Saturday along with a 10K (will be doing both at easy pace!) and I'd prefer not to interrupt my LSR by breaking it up.
    Careful now! You're moving quite a lot around; it's difficult to keep track. By chopping and changing so much, you're not really following the plan. It seems that the above means you won't do the planned hills/5 mile session and you're replacing it with a 13k run?

I'm just moving the days around. I'll still be doing the same mileage with maybe a few extra easy miles. I'm not risking injury by racing anything.
    The 10k will be my five miles (plus a mile) and I'm told the route has hills so I can add those in. It might look a bit odd to the other runners but sure who cares?

Since the boards plan has this week's 5m with no reference to pace I assume it's to be run at easy pace and the hill sprints are for about 10 seconds as fast as you can with a walking recovery and full recovery before attempting the next hill sprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

any suggestions where to buy some running clothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Soulsun wrote: »
    any suggestions where to buy some running clothing?

Sportshoes.co.uk
    Sportsdirect
    Tkmaxx
    Penneys and dunnes too ;)

cailineile wrote: »
    Evening all,
    I'm a little late to the forum and posting, but better late than never, so on week 2 of my official 16 week plan, just back from hill( on treadmill) and feel good.

Little bit about me, turning 40 in Dec and was lucky enough to get into Dublin as I'm based overseas, Singapore ( the little red dot). So all my runs are sweaty and generally 30degrees plus.
    My goal with the marathon is to get around, no particular time in mind as I'm slow, but that's ok. To finish and get the medal is the aim, Have done 5 half marathons before, the last being December .

I've a love hate relationship with running, was big into Crossfit a few years back and running didn't feature as much.

So current plan is mobility (focus on tight hip flexors, ankles and glutes) with PT on Monday am, Run Tue, PT session on Wed, Running with group, track and tempo runs on Thur, Rest Fri, 3-4 miles run on sat and long run on Sun..
    . thats the gist and hopefully I'll stay sound. foam rolling too is becoming my new friend, there's a love hate relationship, hate doing it , love the feeling after, .. Plan to check in every few weeks, spend too much time on laptop at work to want to look at it when I'm home in the eve.

not too sure what else, oh ya have signed up for a few races, some short, but can't find a half out here, most of them are at back end of the year, there's a nice 18.45KM Competitive Run on the 29th Sep, need to see will I be around to do that, if not my PT ( just back from wall of china marathon ) said she'll run a half with me...... I'm not sure who is crazier her or me.

ps answers are here

5km 30 mins, 10km 1:02- I'm slow but that ok,
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)- not really only if I'm completly lost in terms of focus and not enjoying it, stopped to watch an otter the other day and ran the last 2km home totally reinvorgated

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.- see above

just get round and enjoy it as best I can
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?3/4 following Tom Holland Marathon Method, probably should have done Hal hidgon, but looking at the two,, there isn't too much difference I feel, need to look at them again,
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?- lack of hills, hence the run on treadmill this eve, Singapore is flat, and I know there are parts of Dublin that are hilly, saw a hill the other night when driving him, will scout it out this wknd, and see if it's ok, but not having hills scares me , plus the cold , (joke), it will be refreshing, and I should be faster and home in normal temps
    Why are you running this marathon?, Because, I said last year, I'd like to do one to celebrate turning 40, and have huge admiration for anyone that does plus, it's a bucket list item ticked off, after that cos I think I have one in me :)

ok signing off, will check in a few days,
    night all

C

Welcome! Our thread is taking on a very international flavour. I can imagine training in the Singaporean humidity is tough! Your approach to a marathon target is a good one for a first marathon. I tried googling your plan without much success but your outline above looks fine. Try and keep the four days of running up. I think four is the minimum really when training for a marathon. Is PT physio or personal trainer? I'm just wondering if a day off completely from exercise each week would be good.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I'm just moving the days around. I'll still be doing the same mileage with maybe a few extra easy miles. I'm not risking injury by racing anything.
    The 10k will be my five miles (plus a mile) and I'm told the route has hills so I can add those in. It might look a bit odd to the other runners but sure who cares?

Since the boards plan has this week's 5m with no reference to pace I assume it's to be run at easy pace and the hill sprints are for about 10 seconds as fast as you can with a walking recovery and full recovery before attempting the next hill sprint?

Ah, okay. It's just the plan "hangs" together in a certain way to ensure appropriate recovery between the more difficult runs. I also read your initial post as meaning you were doing a parkrun and the 10k on the same day (in my miles/km confusion I added 10k to 3miles and got 13k :o)

Yes, full recovery before attempting the next sprint, each rep should be 8 - 10 seconds in duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Hi there

Ha Ha, I'm Irish through and through,

the plan is based on this book, bought it a few years ago, and found it good

https://www.amazon.com/Marathon-Method-16-Week-Training-Prepares/dp/1592332595#customerReviews

I'm luck session on Monday is with physio, Session on Wed is with PT ( ex military) so she holds me accountable, ( incidentally smashed it this morning, onto black box jumps now- I used to be scared of the blue ones- still can't do wooden, brain won't let me, fear of losing shins), and then the running session with group on thur is with physio( love what he does- even have tomorrow nights session and showed us how to program Garmin properly ( for laps) via WhatsApp earlier today. Friday is my day off, ( and I mean total rest), might mix up the long run on sat this week instead of Sunday, last week it was sun eve, when I did it and it was too hot, so up early at 6 on sat, get it done and it won't be hanging over me for the rest of the day....

Plan is attached, made a mess of the columns as I was reading it on iPad, and didn't realise my finger had moved it back to the half marathon page, so had to go again.

but its on the back of the kitchen door. and I like ticking it off :) ( sad but more satisfaction than an excel sheet ) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Hi Everyone,

I'm very late to the party!

DCM 2019 will be my first marathon. I have been dabbling with the race series for a few years and not really taking it seriously at all. Last year I did the 10km race in 1hr 7 mins, but I did a 10km race a few weeks ago in 53 mins.

Currently running 4 times a week and averaging 36km a week. Last week I was knocked with a chest infection and had to take a few days off. I'm also strength training 4/5 days a week, doing a lot of heavy leg work and bench pressing etc.

Tonight I plan to do 10km and i'll do another 10km on Friday, a short 5km on Saturday and a long slow run on Sunday. I've been doing approx. 16-20km every other Sunday. If I can sustain this, will that be sufficient?

Nutrition wise i'm finding I need to up calories. I don't think i'm eating enough. I'm also going to start some gels this weekend and see how they go. Will be delighted with any nutrition advice on offer! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Ive an entry I bought for a friend (the day the site crashed), he got one at the same time.
    So its up for grabs. (90 euros)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Hi All!

I'm also late to the party

Only raced a few 5ks before (last year). PB - 28 mins 40 secs, I think.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? I haven't really gone above 10k to date, but comfortable running that so far without breaks.

How much training do you currently do ? Aside from running - I'm in a strength training gym, do 1 hiit class a week, and then 2/3 strength classes (upper body, lower body) as well. thinking about changing this up, as the distances gets longer. not sure which to cut.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Finishing injury free. Would love to make 4.30 if at all possible.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I was following the training plan from June on the DCM site, and recently found this boards one, so trying to follow it now.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? The long distances, and completing in a reasonable time. Also, should I be doing speed work? Not incorporating this at all.

Why are you running this marathon? Bucketlist goal, and to prove I can, as I wouldn't view myself as a runner really traditionally. Also, attended the DCM last year, and thought the support was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Oh I'm only seeing the questions now! Newbie error!

5km - PWC race relay, May 2019 - 23:57
    Half Marathon Race Series 2018 - 2h 11 mins. 10km Race Series 2018 - 1 hr 7 mins.
    10km - November 2018 53:51 (I don't race 10km very much)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? Not really no. I'll stop if I'm with friends, but I try not to.

How much training do you currently do ? 4 runs a week and i also do a lot of strength training. Minimum 4/5 sessions a week. I try to run on leg days which is a total killer, but meant to be great for strengthening the legs.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Sub 4 would be the bucket list dream.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I'm trying to keep up with my gym sessions and fit the running around them, but I need to scale back a bit on the weights. Keen to tweak my training now and i'm pretty good with sticking to plans.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Sheer determination will make me cross the line, but I want to put in a solid effort and get a decent time. I'm afraid of gels and my tummy giving in on me.

Why are you running this marathon? I was a supporter last year. I went up with my kids to cheer people on and the crowds and the runners were just incredible. People ran across the road to high-five my kids and accept jellies. The atmosphere was incredible. I was really upset with myself for not doing it! I had done a lot of training, but didn't commit to the ticket on time. Very respectful of the distance and I want to get my feet on that blue mat and cruise over the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

So had to leave my run till after work as there are no hills on my lunch route! I went to Corcaigh park & the heavens absolutely opened up, was dreading it but once i was in it i loved it :) Did just over 4 miles in a very deserted park then stopped at a hill & did 5 hill sprints at 10secs each then finished off the 5 miles.I absolutely loved them & the buzz of the speed which i miss haha...defo enjoying my Wednesday sessions so far :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

kyomi wrote:
    Today's long run was 14.5 miles, the longest I've done at least in the last three years. It was a bit of a slog in parts, mostly because of trying to keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone. My house is uphill from most of the rest of Dublin so whichever route I take I'll always be finishing with a couple of uphill miles. I ended up really shuffling along today at over 11:30 minute miles for the last two miles, to keep my heart rate from going up into the next zone.
    Hi Kyomi - that's a nice week - well done. Living in Stepaside, I can empathise with home always being at the top of a climb ;)

Do you think the slog on the long run was caused solely by trying to keep your HR in the correct zone?

Sorry for the late reply - yes I suspect it was entirely down to having to run more slowly than I'm used to. I didn't feel that tired either during or after the run, it was more a feeling that I wasn't really getting anywhere. I felt like my running form was affected too and that my feet were nearly dragging on the ground. During the faster parts of the run (the bits that weren't hills) I felt fine and that I could keep going for much longer.

Hopefully, as my aerobic fitness improves, my heart rate won't suffer so much from having to go up hills and I'll be able to take them at a more normal sort of pace. To be honest, I probably could've just ignored my heart rate and sped up to my normal LSR pace (around 10:30), given that I was only a mile or two from home, and that's probably what I'll do the next time. Otherwise I could be looking at going over the three-hour mark well before I get to the really long runs.

Advertisement