Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Welcome back, Mr G!

I got all my runs in this week, plus some extra days/miles according to the HH1 plan. I know I’m not on plan strictly speaking but keeping all the runs easy (I know some of them could’ve been slower though). Hope this is ok? As the plan’s mileage increases and life gets more hectic in the autumn my running will coincide better with the official plan.

I think some of my runs could’ve been a touch slower, especially the LSR which started out too fast and then got disrupted in the middle by a phone call I had to take. I never found an appropriate pace on that run and was feeling down afterwards. But I know bad days are a part of the mental training! Also two of my runs this week were on the dreaded treadmill due to the heat where I was and I have a tough time running slow on those... find it much much easier outside.

I feel good about my progress at this stage and am really looking forward to racing the 10k on Sunday!

Thanks again Mr G and to the other mentors. The advice has been invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

rizzee wrote: »
    This week:

Monday 5.25km 28:12
    Tuesday 5.03km 30:15
    Thursday 5.01km 27:37
    Saturday 10.08km 58:39

Very inconsistent times. Need to get that extra run in/get a bike/go swimming! Also have to slow them right down, as comfortable as they are it's not sustainable.
    But I'm happy that I'm getting out there and running with ease & no pains.

Going for 5 runs next week loosely on the HH plan and the following week it's holiday time so will be bringing the runners with me. (At least I can swim that week too :) )

You're correct to identify the need to slow your runs down - no time like the present to begin that process! All of those runs are faster than marathon pace. You'd be well served by running a good minute/km slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Not a great week. Only 4 of 6 planned runs. Got the two main runs done at least. Very busy work week and with evening plans too it meant when I missed my lunch window there was no alternative. Probably ran some of the mid week run with the sprints at the end a bit too quick, especially coming off the relatively hard week last week. Went to play footgolf on Thursday evening and having not kicked a ball in quite some time my legs felt really off afterwards. Wedding anniversary Friday, had considered sneaking in a run to make up one of the missed ones, but thought better of it and wasn’t feeling great anyway. Headed out to attempt long run on Saturday, immediately felt awful and when my stomach started playing up within a mile I thought better of it and headed for home. Got out on Sunday for the 13 miles, felt awful for most of it but got it done. Legs still a bit off from the footgolf, I guess working muscles I hadn’t used in a long time just seems to have thrown things out of balance a bit. Looking forward to a more consistent week this week and hopefully attacking the 10k at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Welcome back Mr Guappa

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Yes, I got them all in.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Yes, all done at an appropriate pace. Easy runs at about 13:30mins/mile, LSR at 14:10mins/mile and recovery slower again at 15:25mins/mile

After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?
    I am happy with myself as I am rising to the challenges. However, the legs are tired this week. I know next Sunday is ages away but I am wondering how in hell I will be able to race the 10km. I'm also wondering if I should be concerned about my pace for LSRs. Saturday's 13miles took me 3hrs 6mins. Maybe that is why the legs are so tired. That and the heat, which is disturbing my sleep. I enjoy my long runs and I think the pace is right for me, but should I try to start speeding it up even a little bit? If the mentors don't think it's a problem for now, I'm happy to stay as I am. Looking at the plan an estimating, the 15mile would likely take me 3.5hrs and the 16m about 3hrs 45. Is that okay?

Thank you and sorry for the length of my post

Any chance you could invest in a chest strap HRM? Actually, I see you're going to run by pace, so ignore my suggestion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sorbet wrote: »
    Delighted to have kept to the plan this week as I was away and worried that I might let it slip. Did all the miles and if anything may have been a little slow :rolleyes:!

Legs goodish, knees felt it a bit after the 13 miler but new runners on the way as I've done over 400 miles on these ones - listen to me I sound like a runner at last:)

Good luck everyone this week - enjoying following all the runs on Strava!

Well done on sticking to the plan during the week away - nice work! I don't think you ran too slow at all - LSR looks good, and the midweek easy runs could have been a touch slower. I believe you're doing the South Dublin 10k, which will give us a better idea of where you're at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Yes, I got them all in. Not in perfect order but all done

My LSR this week was too fast, No idea why just couldn't control the pace.

Feel ok. Am concernced about a couple of things:
    - I need to go to the bathroom (Sitdown) after about 2 miles of any run. Its really starting to impact my training as its constantly on my mind. Any tips great appreciated.
    - Hamstrings feel a bit tight lately. Nothing major just feel them. maybe getting stronger?
    - Would like a mentor to have a look at my strava for some feedback.

Looking at week 4, i cant do the 10 K so will be doing a LSR of 9 miles. looks daunting! i done 9 miles a good few weeks back but was wrecked after it. I bought some gels so will give them a try and will keep the pace to 11 min/mile.

Thankss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    - Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yup all runs done.
    - Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yup.

Midweek runs
    1 -  5Km, 6:05/Km, 138 avg HR
    2 -  6.5Km,  6:10/Km, 152 avg HR
    3 -  5Km,  5:59/Km, 148 avg HR
    LSR
      8Km, 6:39/Km, 136 avg HR

Also had a 5 hour charity cycle after the LSR on Saturday. Kept the effort very light and had heart rate in Aerobic zone or lower for over 90% of the ride. Legs were a little tired yesterday but nothing close to having doms.

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?

Training is progressing well. Motivation is still very high which is making it easy. Got a couple of trips coming up over the next month but I'll be packing my running gear to keep the training on track.

I'm not racing this weekend but best of luck to everyone doing the 10Km.

Irishder wrote: »
    Yes, I got them all in. Not in perfect order but all done

My LSR this week was too fast, No idea why just couldn't control the pace.

Feel ok. Am concernced about a couple of things:
    - I need to go to the bathroom (Sitdown) after about 2 miles of any run. Its really starting to impact my training as its constantly on my mind. Any tips great appreciated.
    - Hamstrings feel a bit tight lately. Nothing major just feel them. maybe getting stronger?
    - Would like a mentor to have a look at my strava for some feedback.

Looking at week 4, i cant do the 10 K so will be doing a LSR of 9 miles. looks daunting! i done 9 miles a good few weeks back but was wrecked after it. I bought some gels so will give them a try and will keep the pace to 11 min/mile.

Thankss :)

What are you eating and drinking before the run? I had to give up eating fruit in the afternoon last year for similar reasons.

If you slow the paces down, you might be tired after the LSR, but hopefully, you won't be wrecked.

I'll take a look at your Strava this afternoon.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    What are you eating and drinking before the run? I had to give up eating fruit in the afternoon last year for similar reasons.

If you slow the paces down, you might be tired after the LSR, but hopefully, you won't be wrecked.

Doesnt really matter what i eat to be honest or what time of the day. Im eating a lot of carbs (Pasta, bread, porridge) is there any supplements that would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I did indeed, however, I did one of my easy runs on Friday. It wasn't the most enticing weather on Wednesday so I kidded myself into thinking I'd do it later on that day and lost any interest later that evening so I just need to keep that in mind for the future. I should either do the mid-week runs in the morning or lunch or there might be the propensity to skip/delay it!

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace

Settling into the running slow vibes... 09:30 - 10:00 per mile is what I have been doing. The latter part of the scale is the more appropriate pace.

I'm loving seeing everyone's runs on Strava and I am really enjoying the training. For my cross training at the end of week 2, I cycled 75km with lots of hills and my legs were a bit tired last week as a result so I need to remember that I'm not superman and only do shorter spins. I'm thinking 20-25km roundtrip to Hawk Cliff in Dalkey and a dip in the water and back home then. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Yes got them all in.
    I'm still ahead of the HHN1 plan distance wise and hope to keep ahead of the game as I've a 3 week holiday coming up in August.
    (Will still run on holiday).

Generally yes but this week wasn't great due to people calling lunchtime meetings :mad:

All good so far.
    I did have some doubts last week & toyed with the idea of moving to HHN2 but decided to stick with the 'slow & steady' approach of HHN1

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

All done according to "plan", although I swapped the LSR from Sunday to Saturday to allow for dinner and drinks on Saturday night.

I think so, although the effort levels on Wednesdays split tempo were a bit higher than I'd like. Will need to keep an eye on it.

All going well so far. Looking forward to getting a proper benchmark with the 10k in Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Week 3
    Bit of a weird week in fairness. Lots of mad stuff going on in work and flat out doing taxi service for the kids in the evening so it was a bit unstructured.
    Mon - Took a rest day.
    Tues - 5 miles at 9:26 / Mile. Supposed to be 3 miles easy but for some reason I went on my 5 mile loop and only realised it 2 miles from home !!
    Weds - 5 Miles - PMP - Mile 1 - 8:34. Mile 2 - 8:22, Mile 3 - 8:43, Mile 4 - 8:45, Mile 5 - 8:23.
    Thurs - Missed the run through various different work and family commitments.
    Fri - 13.13 mile LSR - 9:35 per mile.
    Sat - Rest. Planned for a cycle but didnt happen.
    Sun - 1Km swim, very easy.

I feel the training is going well. 5 days running accumulates very quickly. I had been tired in the legs recently but missing the easy run on Thursday made my legs feel very good on the long run on Friday. I know how important those easy miles are so I dont plan on missing very many of them

So came up a bit short mileage wise this week. Really enjoyed the long run to be honest. I was full sure of my HM route for the LSR and couldnt understand why I was only at 11.88 miles as I approached my house. Then remembered it wasnt the full 13.1 miles so I had to run another 0.6 miles past my house, then turn and come back....always difficult to do that !

Back into it in a full structure this week.
    Wont be doing the 10 miler in July now so looks like the DCHM and one of the 3/4's will be the only races I have between now and DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
    Yes. 3 short and lsr

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?
    Probably still a bit too fast but slowing down, I promise!!!!!
    7.2km @ 6:32min/km
    8.8km @ 6:23min/km
    6.4km @ 6:30min/km (overall slower but the in "fast" last km just for the hell of it

LSR @ 6:43 min4km

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?
    Going ok so far. Seeing the benefits of slowing down

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

No, did mileage but increased three runs by a bit to do this. I'm committed to get 4 runs in this week. Hard to do with kids being off

Yep, happy with slower pace, but not sure how I'll manage to go faster for 10k on Sunday!

Training so far

Happy with training so far, trying just to look at next run at a time. And not worrying about longer runs.

Really enjoying thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Would it have been counterproductive to have been running too slow up to now? Or do all those runs still count as being decent? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Doesnt really matter what i eat to be honest or what time of the day. Im eating a lot of carbs (Pasta, bread, porridge) is there any supplements that would help?

Try drinking some water, tea or coffee an hour before heading out to get the bowels moving. There are some more suggestions in this article, including get a suggestion to get moving: https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20780869/how-to-make-yourself-poop/

Coincidentally, I was recently bought this book as a birthday gift :)

https://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Make-Yourself-Poop/dp/1635651832

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Irishder I have had the same issue re toilet breaks - so much so that my running group gave me an award at their Christmas night of a little toilet with slime in it as the person most likely to choose a route based on the toilet facilities along the way! I have found that it generally affects me in the evenings rather than mornings. When I do my long run I run at 7 a.m. on an empty stomach with just a cup of tea and a glass of water before I go out. I also try not to eat too late the night before. I run shorter runs in the evening and even if I do feel the need I can usually hang on til I get home. Evening long runs are just not an option for my stomach. I also found it much worse in the hot weather which I think is down to dehydration so if it's warm I'll bring a bottle of water on the run with me. I have had a few very ropey runs with stop offs in fields and ditches so I know your pain!! I worry a bit that gels and such will cause me issues so I'm gonna start using them soon so as to experiment with what does and doesn't work.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Would it have been counterproductive to have been running too slow up to now? Or do all those runs still count as being decent? Thanks

I don't see how it would've been counterproductive, so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yes and No, did the mileage but really struggled to find time for long run this week. Broke it up a bit and did a 6.5 mile run into work over weekend and the same home. Not sure if that's a good idea or not? suggestions welcome as i work a lot of weekends and need to improvise a bit.

No, my target is sub 4 but I also seem to be running too fast. My natural pace seems to be approx 7.45-8min min per mile but even when i consciously try to slow down and still seem to do no more then 8.20 per mile up to 10 miles anyway as longest I've run so far

Training so far

enjoying it so far, only managed to be one of lucky ones who entered on July 1st so really like having a target now. Signed up in last few days for DLR 10km in Dun laoghaire and half marathon so looking forward to the weeks ahead

• Advertisement

If you're going down the road of thinking of supplements, it might be no harm to get it checked out by a professional. I do think keeping a food diary might be instructive. Try and not take any caffeinated beverages on board too close (ie within a couple of hours) of a run. And, as eabha says, make sure you're keeping well hydrated throughout the day.

Here's a decent article on the topic:

https://runnersconnect.net/having-to-go-to-the-bathroom-when-running/
    eabha19 wrote: »
    Irishder I have had the same issue re toilet breaks - so much so that my running group gave me an award at their Christmas night of a little toilet with slime in it as the person most likely to choose a route based on the toilet facilities along the way! I have found that it generally affects me in the evenings rather than mornings. When I do my long run I run at 7 a.m. on an empty stomach with just a cup of tea and a glass of water before I go out. I also try not to eat too late the night before. I run shorter runs in the evening and even if I do feel the need I can usually hang on til I get home. Evening long runs are just not an option for my stomach. I also found it much worse in the hot weather which I think is down to dehydration so if it's warm I'll bring a bottle of water on the run with me. I have had a few very ropey runs with stop offs in fields and ditches so I know your pain!! I worry a bit that gels and such will cause me issues so I'm gonna start using them soon so as to experiment with what does and doesn't work.

I won't do an LSR without knowing if there's a toilet on the way, so I feel your pain. You're probably going to have to start practicing your preDCM breakfast in addition to gels sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yes and No, did the mileage but really struggled to find time for long run this week. Broke it up a bit and did a 6.5 mile run into work over weekend and the same home. Not sure if that's a good idea or not? suggestions welcome as i work a lot of weekends and need to improvise a bit.

No, my target is sub 4 but I also seem to be running too fast. My natural pace seems to be approx 7.45-8min min per mile but even when i consciously try to slow down and still seem to do no more then 8.20 per mile up to 10 miles anyway as longest I've run so far

Training so far

enjoying it so far, only managed to be one of lucky ones who entered on July 1st so really like having a target now. Signed up in last few days for DLR 10km in Dun laoghaire and half marathon so looking forward to the weeks ahead

Firstly, you need to slow right down!! That's way too fast for an easy run, let alone a long run especially if you're targeting sub4. It's not easy to get used to at first, and you'll have to concentrate a lot, but trust me it will start to feel the more natural easy pace after a week or so. You can see on this thread we already have a few converts to that thinking :)

To be honest, you'll need to try do the long runs all in one go. The benefits come from having all that time on your feet all at once, and slowly building to the point where you'll be able for the 26.2 all at once. Could you shift the week about a bit? Do you have days off midweek where you could do the LSR?

I took a look and you need to slow it down to around 11:15 to 11:30 minute miles.

I took a look and you need to slow it down to around 11:15 to 11:30 minute miles.

Is that just for the LSR or all runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Yep got them all in. In regards to the HH plan, does it make a big difference doing the LSR run on the sunday and not the sat? Was fine this weekend, but just thinking about other weekends where I might have something on, does moving it make a difference?

I'm not really sure about my pace tbh, would be great if someone could have a look at my strava and see?

All good so far. I had a knee injury before starting training which is all good now, but trying to address any niggles here and there so they don't progress with some yoga classes/stretching in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

You are running way too fast - that's much faster than marathon pace, sub-3:30 pace. If you keep running like that, you will probably have a good first half of the marathon, and then a complete sufferfest and the longest 2+ hours of your life :)

What are your race times like? How long have you been running?

Is that just for the LSR or all runs?

All runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Well got into Dublin in the late batch and need to get the finger out so decided to post my training and get advice here. Haven't done much running since in Ran london in 2012 and a couple of injuries made me give up running, well at least give up racing i've been doing a couple of jog/walks per week

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

Haven't races anything other then 2 beer mile races since 2011/2012 so level of fitness not so good right now.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    4 running days a week of 40 mins to 60 mins but closer to a fast walk right now.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Finish Dublin and push on to a spring marathon.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

4 to 5 day depending on the body , Hybrid/custom selfmade plan based on a previous life.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Injury /weight.

Why are you running this marathon?
    God knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yep got them all in. In regards to the HH plan, does it make a big difference doing the LSR run on the sunday and not the sat? Was fine this weekend, but just thinking about other weekends where I might have something on, does moving it make a difference?

I'm not really sure about my pace tbh, would be great if someone could have a look at my strava and see?

All good so far. I had a knee injury before starting training which is all good now, but trying to address any niggles here and there so they don't progress with some yoga classes/stretching in the evenings.

LRs on Sunday reduce the rest days to the next run if you don't move the rest of the week around, but I would say now and again you should be ok. Just listen to your body as well, and if you run the Sunday and think you need to take the recommended 2 days rest, then do that.

I don't know your real name to look at Strava actually, if you wanna PM it? Can you remind me of a recent race time you've had also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Firstly, you need to slow right down!! That's way too fast for an easy run, let alone a long run especially if you're targeting sub4. It's not easy to get used to at first, and you'll have to concentrate a lot, but trust me it will start to feel the more natural easy pace after a week or so. You can see on this thread we already have a few converts to that thinking :)

To be honest, you'll need to try do the long runs all in one go. The benefits come from having all that time on your feet all at once, and slowly building to the point where you'll be able for the 26.2 all at once. Could you shift the week about a bit? Do you have days off midweek where you could do the LSR?

Thanks, I will do my long run on wednesday this week. I will try to slow right down on my run this evening and report back.

Advertisement