Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Some people seem to be getting marathon entries today. Some of ye waiting should have a look at applying straight away. The page is live I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Unknownability

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Some people seem to be getting marathon entries today. Some of ye waiting should have a look at applying straight away. The page is live I think.

Thank you, I'm officially DOING A MARATHON :confused::rolleyes::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I just got a spot! A friend sent me a link that registration opened early... not sure why they did that but go get yourself an entry if you need one! It’s official!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Doc76 wrote: »
    I just got a spot! A friend sent me a link that registration opened early... not sure why they did that but go get yourself an entry if you need one! It’s official!

Is there a special link Doc, on the website and it doesn't appear to be open till tomorrow. Trying for a friend. Thanks

clickhere wrote: »

Is there a special link Doc, on the website and it doesn't appear to be open till tomorrow. Trying for a friend. Thanks

I used this link but just tried it again and now it says you need a code as entry is restricted? I’d say it was a mistake that it opened early and they copped on... now I’m worried they won’t honour my registration ... will send them an email and let you know what they say.

https://eventmaster.ie/event/Z7VTMWcZY?fbclid=IwAR0Pza8IkaVGhAvUlUKprPf08OuRDgR6yKmSZurshr7xMgB1j0z7aMmAqjc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

I used this link but just tried it again and now it says you need a code as entry is restricted? I’d say it was a mistake that it opened early and they copped on... now I’m worried they won’t honour my registration ... will send them an email and let you know what they say.

https://eventmaster.ie/event/Z7VTMWcZY?fbclid=IwAR0Pza8IkaVGhAvUlUKprPf08OuRDgR6yKmSZurshr7xMgB1j0z7aMmAqjc

Thanks Doc76. I'd say you will be fine, once they have taken your money.

Ok got a very quick reply back from them and apparently they were testing the system and registration is now closed again... but will be open again tomorrow morning as planned with 2500 entries available.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Hi,

I am a bit late to this! Just saw it on Facebook...and have spent hours going through all the posts so far. Looks brilliant.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I am very very new to running. I am 42 and started last year, running my first 5K on my own on January 1st. Since then I have become hooked. I am slow!

Best 5K road race 7th June 31:31
    Best Templemore Parkrun 22nd June 32:12
    Best 6k road race 26th May Kyle GAA 40:24
    Best 10K 16th June Kildare Thoroughbred 1:05:33

5K time gone from 37 to 31:31 since January.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I have just finished week 5 of the DCM training plan - advanced section. So I am currently running 4-5 times a week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    To put that medal around my neck

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    As above.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Injury.

Why are you running this marathon?
    I have lost 51/2 stone since October and running is so new to me - this would be a massive achievement.

Strava Profile - can I join the group please? Kathy McLoughlin is the profile if anyone wants to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Got my long run in today. 18k in 1hr40min felt ok but still have niggle in my groin.. Have half marathon next Saturday so see how I get on in that... Hoping for a registration tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

bucky08 wrote: »
    Got my long run in today. 18k in 1hr40min felt ok but still have niggle in my groin.. Have half marathon next Saturday so see how I get on in that... Hoping for a registration tomorrow...

Hi bucky - best of luck in the morning!

Today's LSR was far too fast, you should slow the pace down by at least 1min/km to 6:30/km or slower. Your run this morning was at race pace for a 3:50 marathon, that is way too fast to be running a long run at. What paces do you do your midweek runs at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Hi Mr Guappa all my runs are at roughly the same pace.. After this run Saturday gonna try and start running slower and more often. Just didn't want to change anything before Saturdays run.. Running a year now and looking at how to improve never thought it meant slowing down but I'm gonna try from next week on... Appreciate the advice great thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Good luck to everyone trying for a 2019 Dublin marathon entry tomorrow!!!

Fingers at the ready.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Hi!

What long run pace should we be doing if our marathon goal time is around 4:40?
    Ive been trying 6:30 km, but it keeps creeping up to 6:10, 6:00 🀯

Any tips for going slower...? Sometimes i just have to stop and restart at a slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

I knew I had a bad week planned for the first official week training as was away for a few days at a wedding, glad to have started building up the mileage earlier.

Front loaded runs Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday during the week and finished with long run this afternoon, 10 miles.

Still really enjoying it.. Although running solo, I'm finding the mental side of it as difficult as the physical which I'm sure will only become even more prevalent once the miles peak.

Booking in for sports massage this week, any advice on the best day for it? Should I be completely rested, or could I do an easy run AM and massage at lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Booking in for sports massage this week, any advice on the best day for it? Should I be completely rested, or could I do an easy run AM and massage at lunch?

Fine to do a run before hand

To be honest you can schedule a massage at any stage however if the body isn't used to it it can take up to 48-72 hours for the legs to come back to life (not sore per say just feeling fairly flat) something to note if you don't get them too often and are planning on getting them of a race week.

DCM Training: Week 2!

Before I get to Week 2, I'd like to review Week 1. I'd ask each of you to do a self-apprasial of how Week 1 went for you.
      Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?
      Did you run the easy runs at an appropriate pace?
    Strava indicates that many of you didn't get in all the required runs, and the overwhelming majority of you are running too fast, in some cases far too fast. You can't cheat the marathon - take a half-assed approach to the training and it will bite you in the backside come the big day.

On a related note, I notice some of you racing parkruns, or random 5k's... it's not a great idea to stray outside the plan like that on a regular basis. I understand that people like the social aspect of the weekly parkrun - can you do the parkrun at LSR pace and accomodate it into your long run? One of the great motto's around here is to "keep the main thing the main thing" Presumably DCM is the main goal for you - keep that as the focus for the next 17 weeks!

Onto Week 2, and here’s what’s instore for the week ahead:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|3m easy|3m easy|3m easy|rest|7m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|1m w/u, 3m PMP, 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|10m lsr|2m rec

This week sees the Boards plan feature the first PMP (Planned Marathon Pace) run! This is an opportunity to run a little bit faster than your easy pace but please please try to be realistic and conservative when picking your PMP.

A rough way to calculate predicted marathon time is (Half marathon time x 2) + 20 mins, or this predictor is more reliable than the McMillan or Tinman ones.

The table below indicates roughly the marathon pace (in km or in miles) required for the various target times at 15 minute intervals:

Marathon|Pace/km|Pace/mi
    3:30|5:00|8:00
    3:45|5:20|8:35
    4:00|5:40|9:10
    4:15|6:00|9:45
    4:30|6:20|10:20
    4:45|6:40|10:50
    5:00|7:00|11:25
    5:15|7:20|12:00
    5:30|7:40|12:35
    5:45|8:00|13:05
    6:00|8:20|13:40

The warm up and cool down can be done at your easy pace (i.e - at least 45-60 seconds per mile slower than PMP).

Best of luck to everyone for the week ahead, and a reminder that entries re-open at 09:00 tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed for anyone hoping to grab one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Week 1 completed & overall i'm happy with it. Have slowed down a good bit for most of my runs & its actually gettiing more natural & comfortable for me :) Thanks a mill for all the good advice & best of luck to anyone trying to get a spot in the morning:D

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Just to put a bit of perspective on the pace thing. An extreme example but attached here is a runners long run from today vs his marathon pace hopefully it gives people a good idea that less really is more.

Really happy with how week 1 went ... set out to do the HH 6 LSR miles on Saturday but felt good and went for the boards plan of 8. Off to the birthplace of marathons later this week and don’t think I’ll get more than a few early morning short runs/hill work in but it’s only a week and I am happy with my current mileage. And I plan to fit another LSR in before I go.

Hope everyone looking for an entry tomorrow is successful! When I emailed with the marathon office today after I got an entry during the site testing she said what happened won’t impact the number of entries they will release tomorrow since only a handful of us got in today... so best of luck to those going for it!

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I raced Friday (5 miler) and this morning (parkrun) so I'm gonna put my LSR off until tomorrow. I think it's the lesser of two evils rather than trying to cram it in today.
    I also plan to slow down my easy pace as currently it doesn't feel "easy".
    Managing pace is trickier for me as I train in undulating terrain (hilly) so either I'm going way too slow (uphill) or way too fast (downhill) so I have to try to manage it a bit more by feel which is going to be a work in progress.

Running a 5 mile race followed by a parkrun the next morning was not the greatest idea. You are correct on the need to slow it down - for instance your LSR this evening should have been a good 30s per mile slower Considering the hilly routes, you can probably afford to take it easier again.

Are you doing the Ring of Kerry too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Well done everyone... One week down, 17 to go! Eek!
    Can I ask our fab experts... I've deviated a bit from the start of the marathon plan, in that I signed up for the Clontarf Half next Saturday, as a goal to get my miles up over the past few months for the start of the marathon block itself. It'll be the furthest I'll ever have run in one go, ever!
    I've been following the HHN1 half marathon plan, but due to starting it a little earlier, I've upped my lsr to just short of 18km yesterday... Rightly or wrongly :o There has been a nice, gradual build-up to this point.
    Now... I'm categorically not one of the people running too fast :D as I'm training to heart rate, which dictates my speed, and I know I'll never set the world on fire with my paces anyway! I'm a plodder, and that's fine with me :)
    Anyway, my question is this... Once I get next week's HM under my belt (hopefully!), how do I go about merging back into the marathon plan? I plan to follow the HHN1 Marathon plan.
    For instance, do I drop my mileage to fit with the HH plan? Or not?! I assume I'll drop the miles in the week after the HM at least, to recover. But what then?

Can I also ask, what intervals do you guys advise taking gels during long runs?

I'm very tempted to adopt the Bananaleaf Method for race reporting... Hopefully I'll have something to report on next week! Eek again!

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi everyone

No, I didnt. I went into the whys already so wont go on about it again, but also had to allow for the club 5km so had to shift things a little. Next week WILL be better

Yes, I am running at the right pace for slow runs. I was thrilled to be able to maintain my 9min km pace in the correct HR zone today even though it was roasting out!

Thanks Mr Guappa for the sample paces in both km and miles - I'm trying to transition from km to miles but it is going to take me a while to fully get there.

Quick question - I see some runs being labelled as 'endurance' - does that mean the same as aerobic training? Thank you.

kulekat wrote: »
    Hi!

What long run pace should we be doing if our marathon goal time is around 4:40?
    Ive been trying 6:30 km, but it keeps creeping up to 6:10, 6:00 ��

Any tips for going slower...? Sometimes i just have to stop and restart at a slower pace.

4:40 seems like a pretty decent target time for you. PMP for that would be 6:35/km, or thereabouts - so your long run is currently faster than PMP, which is far too fast. I'd try keep the easy runs to approx 7:15/km, and the long runs a touch slower again.

Many people find the easy paces a struggle at first. I've no better advice than to keep at it, but maybe others have found something that help them slow it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

DBB wrote: »
    I signed up for the Clontarf Half next Saturday

Best of luck DBB!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    4:40 seems like a pretty decent target time for you. PMP for that would be 6:35/km, or thereabouts - so your long run is currently faster than PMP, which is far too fast. I'd try keep the easy runs to approx 7:15/km, and the long runs a touch slower again.

Many people find the easy paces a struggle at first. I've no better advice than to keep at it, but maybe others have found something that help them slow it down.

Thanks a mil. Ok, ill try slow up!! Ive never ran at anything slower than 6:50km b4, so it will be hard.

Any tips on slow running welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks a mil. Ok, ill try slow up!! Ive never ran at anything slower than 6:50km b4, so it will be hard.

I defo found changing my playlist whilst running slow helped me, so now i have a couple of running playlists. Also for the 1st few times i slowed down i really concentrated on my watch checking my pace then slowing down even more if needed. Now i find its getting a little easier & actually quite enjoyable because then i look forward to the faster tempo work & races! Keep going with it & hopefully it will just become 2nd nature to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

It does take a while to adjust and it feels very odd at the start slowing right down. I used find it easier to be on my own first of all as I often run with friends but pace would creep up when we would be chatting. Also I used have this thing where I’d try to keep my run so slow that I wouldn’t break a sweat or be remotely out of breath. Not easy in the humidity of the Summer to not break a sweat but it worked for me and once you get used to the slower pace it’s great.

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Quick question - I see some runs being labelled as 'endurance' - does that mean the same as aerobic training? Thank you.

Are you seeing this on strava? I think endurance runs are featured in Pfitzinger's Faster Road Running plans, so perhaps whoever you are looking at is following one of those plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Got out every day excluding the Monday (so counted this as a rest day). For LSR I did parkrun (without pushing it) followed by 5 miles. Won't be doing Parkrun very often so allowed myself this one :P:D

Struggling with this but gradually slowing down.

Honeymoon for 3 weeks tomorrow. Have Parkrun San Francisco penciled in for Saturday. Other than that I'll be getting out when I can but not going to stress over it. Felt I had a good week and hoping I won't be too long getting back into the swing of things when I get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Week one completed, unfortunately I had to do 4 days in a row as I was heading on holidays. Took the pace nice and handy. Away for the next two weeks of the plan, so early morning starts for me. Have the plan with me on paper to tick off

Advertisement