Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

Hi,

Not a complete running novice as I managed the DCM in 2012. I've fallen off the wagon since but I'm back now. I'm here for some tips on keeping focused and good training techniques. I love running (when I'm doing it) but haven't much of an idea on how best to train.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    - 5k 26:51 (June 2019)
    - 10k 55:19 (June 2019)
    - half marathon 2:02 (Aug 2012)
    - marathon 4:14 (DCM 2012)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    - no

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - run 3/4 days (typical 3 miles runs with longer run of 5/6 miles)
    - pilates: I'm going to try doing some at home

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - Dream is a sub 4 hours time but finishing it is the goal.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    - 3 days midweek, with a longer run on sunday.
    - Hal Higdon intermediate 1

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    - injury and/or lack of training due to life commitments

Why are you running this marathon?
    - the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Bit of a race report for the Waterford viking 1/4 marathon. On the sound advice of the mentors here i decided to switch from the half to the quarter marathon distance. Race started at 9 so woke at 7:00 to get breakfast into me, porridge and a slice of toast. Get my gear on and left the house at 8:00, drove into the parking harea where there was quite a que, finally parked up and got the bus to the start line at about 8:20. Bus's where very well organised and we were at the start line in plenty of time. Walked around used the toilet for the 4th time!! and at about 8:50 got into the starting pen and got ready.

Mile 1. 9:39 Min/Mile avg HR 151
    Start was fairly congested went up narrow enough roads but suited me fine as helped me control the pace some what! Great atmosphere around the town and a real buzz about the place.

Mile 2: 9:30 Min/Mile avg HR 170
    This was running down the quay so plenty of support and more room to run, also so my two kids and wife at the end of it so that gave me a bit of a buzz. feeling good.

Mile 3: 9:50 Min/Mile Avg HR 170
    Saw the 2:10 half marathon pacers so decided to stick in behind them, very little support at this side of the bridge. Seemed to get very warm here as well.

Mile 4: 9:50 Min/Mile Avg HR 178
    Still with the half marathon pacers but working really hard as its a climb for the whole mile.

Mile 5: 10:17 Min/Mile Avg HR 178
    Slowed down a bit after the hill as it took a bit out of me. feeling ok and nice views crossing the second bridge.

Mile 6: 10:24 Min/Mile Avg HR 176
    Tried to get my hear rate down a bit so slowed a little. this was along the greenway, feeling ok but looking forward to the finish.

Mile 7: 10:31 Min/Mile Avg HR 183
    Fairly steep hill here as you exit the greenway, struggled a bit but kept going. They were giving out jelly beans but found it hard to eat as my mouth was as dry as Gandi's slipper. Think they helped when i got them down.

Finish was in the WIT center bit of a climb up to it but head down, Max HR here was 191 which i felt! A photographer got a lovely pic of myself and my 2 lads at the ends so hopefully i will see that somewhere :)

Great day and really glad i opted for the 1/4 marathon, dont think i drank enough water in the morning and its hard to get it into you on the course. Event was very well run but the only complaint is it is very hard for spectators to get along the course, once you pass mile 2 there is practically no support.
    The finish was great with loads of food and drink available as well as a bouncy castle for the kids.

Not my fastest 10K but i had a fasted mile of 9:15 somewhere out there.

Really appreciate the advice of the mentors and really looking forward to starting into the plan next week.

Well done, you got sound advice to drop down to the Quater I ran the Half and the heat only got worse as the day went on :cool:

The Lady taking the pictures near the roundabout as you run down to the Finish is a friend of mine Snapphappy by Yvonne so keep an eye on her page over the next few days she will put them up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thanks, I do think it's an optimistic target and I am preparing myself for not meeting. I realise that my progression won't be as quick now, as the weight loss is flat lining.

Yes, I am going to follow the Boards plan.

Rough paces that I am running to are.

Recovery 8'30 - 9 m/m

Easy 8 - 8'30 m/m

PMP 6'45 - 7'15 m/m

LSR 7'30 - 8 m/m

Do these seem generally on target? New watch has heart rate monitoring built in rather than the strap so much easier to use and will start tracking that. Resting heart rate is around 45, so working out the heart rate zones.

I do think does paces are very much on the speedy side alright. I'd be inclined to say something like:
    LSR - 8:45 - 9:20
    Easy - 8:45 - 9:00
    Recovery > 9:20
    PMP for a 3:30 marathon would be in and around 8:00

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I do think does paces are very much on the speedy side alright. I'd be inclined to say something like:
    LSR - 8:45 - 9:20
    Easy - 8:45 - 9:00
    Recovery > 9:20
    PMP for a 3:30 marathon would be in and around 8:00

Thanks, will incorporate them into it. Big change running in a controlled manner when I was use to just running as fast as I could.

Hi,

Not a complete running novice as I managed the DCM in 2012. I've fallen off the wagon since but I'm back now. I'm here for some tips on keeping focused and good training techniques. I love running (when I'm doing it) but haven't much of an idea on how best to train.

- 5k 26:51 (June 2019)
    - 10k 55:19 (June 2019)
    - half marathon 2:02 (Aug 2012)
    - marathon 4:14 (DCM 2012)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    - no

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - run 3/4 days (typical 3 miles runs with longer run of 5/6 miles)
    - pilates: I'm going to try doing some at home

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - Dream is a sub 4 hours time but finishing it is the goal.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    - 3 days midweek, with a longer run on sunday.
    - Hal Higdon intermediate 1

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    - injury and/or lack of training due to life commitments

Why are you running this marathon?
    - the challenge

Welcome No, you're a...; :)

Any particular reason you've gone for the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan? For someone at your current level I'm not a huge fan of the way the weekend runs are structured - most weekends have a PMP run on the Saturday, followed by the LSR on the Sunday. It feels a bit too much for where you're currently at.

Would you consider taking a look at the boards plan? It's broadly similar to the HHI1 - same number of days running, a touch less mileage and the long run distances are much the same, but crucially the boards plan has the PMP runs midweek. It's up to yourself of course, but I'd definitely consider it.

4:00 does look a tad ambitious at the minute to be honest. Also, you need to slow the training paces way down - based on those recent race times your easy pace can be 10:30, and LSR pace a touch slower again.

• Advertisement

TillyDcm wrote: »
    Thank you for the support Mr. Guappa.
    I have my entry and my first 3 miles of the HH plan are complete!

Nice one Tilly... Only another 408 miles between you and the start line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

As i start into my training i am wondering what the advice would be on classes? I have always done classes with my running 4 - 5 times a week. I would like to still do 1 or 2 a week but don't want to mess up my marathon training. I did weights, HIIT & strength & conditioning. Should i continue with any classes & if so what would be recommended?
    Cheers :)

As i start into my training i am wondering what the advice would be on classes? I have always done classes with my running 4 - 5 times a week. I would like to still do 1 or 2 a week but don't want to mess up my marathon training. I did weights, HIIT & strength & conditioning. Should i continue with any classes & if so what would be recommended?
    Cheers :)

The boards plan has some cross-training included, so your classes would fall into that category. 1-2 classes a week sounds ok, but try and keep one day per week as complete rest - no classes, no running. As for what type of classes, that's really up to you. The plans do call for gentle cross-training, but I would think that as long as the intensity is something you're used to and is not off the charts, then you're ok. Maybe drop back to one class per week if you're feeling the tiredness as the mileage increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Happy to have you on board bucky08, fingers crossed you get an entry - the additional entries will be on sale from next Monday morning at 9am.

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Based on those times 4 hours does seem a touch ambitious this time around. Take a look at both plans on the first post of this thread, and see what you think. Keeping your training paces nice and easy will help get you to the start line, and the finish line.

Hi Mr Guappa
    I will have a look at the plans tonight and I will choose one that will suit. Still hoping for sub 4hrs even though you are prob right that it may be a bit much.... let the adventure begin...

I thought this article on fueling, nutrition and hydration was worth sharing, if only for the line "you wouldn’t put p*ss in a Ferrari"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

I thought this article on fueling, nutrition and hydration was worth sharing, if only for the line "you wouldn’t put p*ss in a Ferrari"

No wonder you're a seasoned marathon runner.. You don't appear to sleep :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

The boards plan has some cross-training included, so your classes would fall into that category. 1-2 classes a week sounds ok, but try and keep one day per week as complete rest - no classes, no running. As for what type of classes, that's really up to you. The plans do call for gentle cross-training, but I would think that as long as the intensity is something you're used to and is not off the charts, then you're ok. Maybe drop back to one class per week if you're feeling the tiredness as the mileage increases.

Thanks a mill! I will continue with a couple of classes for now & take a full rest day as advised. I will step back as you said if i start feeling its too much! Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

No wonder you're a seasoned marathon runner.. You don't appear to sleep :-)

It's great that the mentoring thread has upgraded to 24/7 support!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hi everyone, I’ve followed this thread for the last few years and reckoned that I would contribute to it if I ever decided to do the marathon again.

I did DCM in 2015 so I’m not a total novice. I presume this is ok (see below).

5K – May 2019 – 20:00,
    10K Dunshaughlin 10K 44:30,
    Mullingar Half 17/03 – 1:42.
    DCM 2015 – 4:31. Targetted 4:20 and was on target but cramped badly near the end. Lost the group and struggled to get going again after stopping to free the cramp.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 4 -5 a week. Between cycling and running and swimming it could be 6 – 7. At the moment I'd be running maybe 25 miles a week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? 3:50 ideally. Sub 4:00.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 6. Boards plan

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Sacrificing other training. Losing speed built up through training over shorter distances.

Why are you running this marathon? Running has come back onto my radar this year. I decided to step back from running and focussing more on multi sport / adventure racing / triathlon in the last few years. That got my love for running back and now I want to finally tick this marathon box and finish it happy.

Looking forward to all the information on here and all the advice on offer. 18 weeks...well 17 weeks and 5 days :-)

Thanks everyone for giving up your time to help out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Just popping in to say Good Luck to all of this years novices - you're in great hands, just listen to your mentors and you won't go wrong. I trained alone last year but found the support in this group amazing.
    I followed the Boards plan and I felt great on the day, I was aiming to run the marathon in 4:50 and finished in 4:38. Aiming for sub 4:30 this year and I'll be following the same plan :D

Enjoy the training - now is the time to slow down your runs to ensure you do not get injured. Last year I treated myself to a monthly sports massage, I definitely recommend it.

Best of luck everyone :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

5k Marlay Parkrun - 21:32
    10k Run in The Dark - 46:37
    HM Amsterdam - 01:54:20

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

No, unless I'm running too quick!!

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Cycle at least 11km per day during the week for my commute. Only one or two runs per week currently so I'm jumping up a bit with my weekly mileage on this plan.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I'd love to just finish the bloody thing without killing myself ha. I'd be over the moon with a sub 4 finish.

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I'm going to follow the HH novice 1 plan.

•What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Injury and not being able to finish.

•Why are you running this marathon?

I'd love to get one under my belt and I'd be delighted to do it in my hometown of Dublin. I think it's a huge challenge but I'd love to tick this one off.

Treviso wrote: »
    It's great that the mentoring thread has upgraded to 24/7 support!

Haha... just one of the "perks" of working night shift!

There's a good few people waiting in the queue to join the Strava group. Drop me a PM with your Strava name and I'll accept you into the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Ran my first two easy runs on the plan today and yesterday but I felt as if I was phoning it in - whilst my clubmates were doing tempo on the track, I was jogging by with the dog! Have also decided to revise my goal time to 4:20 - based on my race times McMillan predicts 4:10 but I think they can be unrealistic. So I'm going to work towards 4:20 but will be delighted with 4:30 either. I've started obsessing already - the hubby will be well sick of marathon talk by October!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

I thought article on fueling, nutrition and hydration was worth sharing, if only for the line "you wouldn’t put p*ss in a Ferrari"

Cheers for that Mr. Guappa. Really good article. Have read lots of stuff on nutrition that seem overly complicated (or else I'm a bit slow!!!!). That kept it nice and simple.

Do people find getting into the habit of slowing down hard? Have been adding 30 - 60s/km to long runs. People give you strange looks when you tell them that your trying to slow down!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Best of luck to all in here. Youll really get some expert advice from some excellent runners here. As someone else mentioned food & hydration is vital but one area that is often overlooked is sleep. You will be pushing your body hard over the coming months, getting sleep is vital to your immune system and also helps muscle recovery. A routine can be helpful (same time down and up each night/morning) but not always practical. Try get in an early night each week or a little extra each night especially when the mileage increases.

Enjoy ! Running a marathon is an amazing experience

eabha19 wrote: »
    Ran my first two easy runs on the plan today and yesterday but I felt as if I was phoning it in - whilst my clubmates were doing tempo on the track, I was jogging by with the dog! Have also decided to revise my goal time to 4:20 - based on my race times McMillan predicts 4:10 but I think they can be unrealistic. So I'm going to work towards 4:20 but will be delighted with 4:30 either. I've started obsessing already - the hubby will be well sick of marathon talk by October!

Sounds like you're getting the hang of the easy pace so... it should feel embarrassingly slow, like what-the-hell-is-the-point-of-this slow. Easy miles, day after day, week after week, are the foundation of a successful marathon. Nice work.

You're also on the right track about the prediction. McMillan tends to be over optimistic for novices, by some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

I feel like this should be the thread motto for the next 18 weeks.

483582.jpg

About tomorrow's run, on the boards plan is it 4 miles at marathon pace and then strides ie controlled fast running?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

py wrote: »
    I feel like this should be the thread motto for the next 18 weeks.

483582.jpg
    I read that as Trust Prosecco 🀣

About tomorrow's run, on the boards plan is it 4 miles at marathon pace and then strides ie controlled fast running?

It's 4 miles at your easy pace. The strides can be done towards the end of the run, and it can be 4 miles including strides, or 4 miles plus strides as a bit extra, either is fine. From earlier in the week, a reminder on what strides are:
    Strides are a running drill which will get you used to picking up the pace on tired legs without leaving your legs wrecked! In this case the strides prescribed should be 100m or 20-30 seconds long. We recommend you do the strides towards the end of your run preferably on a flat stretch of even road. These are not intended to induce fatigue, so allow for full recovery after each before attempting the next one. Jogging back to the start after each stride should allow sufficient recovery, but take longer if required. You can include these in the prescribed mileage or you can add them on as a little bit extra - either option is ok.

Each stride consists of 3 equal parts:
    - controlled acceleration
    - sustained speed of up to 90% of your max speed
    - controlled deceleration

The important thing is to focus on form throughout; stay relaxed & run tall, watch that the shoulders aren’t being hunched/tensed up! Remember these are not a sprint, you should feel in control!

It's 4 miles at your easy pace. The strides can be done towards the end of the run, and it can be 4 miles including strides, or 4 miles plus strides as a bit extra, either is fine. From earlier in the week, a reminder on what strides are:

Thanks sorry, the colour confused me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KGC

If not using the boards is it a good idea to do strides or intervals every so often? Even just as a way of adding something different to training runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Thanks sorry, the colour confused me.
    Me too, I would have done them marathon pace :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

pd79 wrote: »
    I read that as Trust Prosecco 🀣

I prefer your version :D:D:D

Advertisement