Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Hi all, congrats to everyone on the signing up for this crazy marathon monster and putting in the hard work over the past 18 weeks. I can say without any doubt that I wouldn't have made it to the start line without Aisling, this group and of course, our wonderful mentors. Huzzah, Mr Guappa and ReeReeG, thank you so so much for your time, energy and knowledge.

I loved running before signing up here but my whole attitude to it has changed. Not chasing times all the time and running at the easier paces has really liberated me to enjoy it even more!

Target time 04:20
    Chip Time 04:08:07

I had an absolute ball for the run. Getting my name printed on my t-shirt made me feel like a superhero. I bounced along whenever I heard someone call out Ronan. Aisling had organised all our friends and family to be at various parts of the course so we were never too far from seeing a friendly face, which really spurred me on. I don't know how I missed you guys in Milltown though! The support in general was something else. Never experienced anything like it.

Running-wise, I feel like I ran out of my skin and only encountered one stumbling block. I may have missed taking a gel after mile 20 or so I felt a bit out of steam but not too bad. At Mile 24 I felt like I needed a jelly to keep me going (prob more mental than anything) but couldn't get the packet out of my flip belt so I stopped and took one out. When I went to start running again something funny happened to my knee and I couldn't run properly on it. I walked while I tried to formulate a plan... Walking was also sore so I just started running again and persevered with the pain and it somehow rectified itself, thank god.

I'm still in disbelief that its done. Was the quickest 4 hours and 8 minutes ever!

Very proud of everyone and what you have all achieved. I really appreciate all your kind messages to Aisling too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Finally getting a chance to sit down and put my thoughts on paper. I had it all written out, and then it all disappeared on me. So here I go, all over again.

First of all, a few words on the implications of running when you've a hiatus hernia. Sorry, I know I probably have gone on about this, but it turned out to be critical to my day on Sunday.
    To explain what a hiatus hernia is, it's a hole in the diaphragm, just where the oesophagus enters the stomach, right under the breastbone. The stomach can slide up through the hole to some degree, sometimes completely if the hole (hernia) is big enough. In my case, just a bit of stomach can peep through, but it tends to be painful, and can cause the diaphragm to go into spasms which are very painful. For me, it only happens if I'm running, or if I've eaten too much of certain types of food, or *ahem* over-consumption of wine:o.
    The pain, when you're running, tends to shoot up into the shoulders too. To control it means keeping the breathing deep ("diaphragmatic breathing"), steady, and a conscious effort to keep the diaphragm relaxed, because stress and tension (and diet, and physical exertion) causes the stomach to move upwards and push through the hole in the diaphragm. The aim is to stop the stomach squooshing up at all, or to try to make it slip back down again if it does squoosh up.
    I've been managing the problem for months now since I realised what was going on and under doctor's orders, so much so that I had all but forgotten that it's an issue. But, I have to assume now that the excitement and anticipation of the big event on Sunday morning must have made things go askew on me. I also wonder if my carb-loading on batch bread did me harm. God I love batch loaf, but I'm not too sure that it loves me :o

Marathon Day
    Up at 6am, got stuff done at home with our various animals that needs to be done, marathon or no marathon. A bowl of porridge and honey at 7am, into the car with my husband, and a straightforward journey to Dublin. Got parked. Headed towards the Wave 4 area, saying my goodbyes to my husband and my friend who had joined us. Quick hello to my sister-in-law and her mam who were volunteering at the bag drop. By chance, I found Bananaleaf and Fraggle in the waiting area (okay okay, maybe I was slightly stalking ye), we were all wrapped up with our disposable hoodies, track suits and hats. Anxious-bladder syndrome drove us into the portaloos more than once!
    We didn't have to wait too long before we were off, at about 9:45. What a buzz! Everyone was in great form and the atmosphere was electric.
    Plan A was 4:50-4:55. Plan B was sub 5 hour. Plan C was to finish. The plan was to start out nice and steady, well behind the 5-hr pacers, and to review things at 7 miles, half-way, and again after Heartbreak Hill, lifting the pace at each stage if all was well.
    I was carrying my own water bottle and Zero tabs, which I topped up whenever needed at the water stations, and I was taking gels (Maurten, because of the kind-on-stomach reputation, every 4 miles. One hi-5 caffeine gel for Mile 16ish. All pre-tested on LSRs.

Miles 1-7: 11:30; 11:37; 11:50; 11:38; 11:52; 11:39; 11:37

Lots of hollering and whooping for the first mile. It was right here, along Kevin St, the opening mile, that to my horror, I felt the faintest twinge of discomfort in my stomach/diaphragm. Uh oh. Today? Really? REALLY?
    Haven't had to do this in a while, but I start to control my breathing and relax the area to help relieve the discomfort, to make my tummy drop back down below the diaphragm. By the time we got to Christchurch, the pain was getting sharper. I remembered that leaning forward and quickly standing back up again can do the trick... and it did. Instant relief. The next mile up to Stoneybatter was okay. Met my mam and sister in Blackhall Place. Quick hugs, and onwards.
    Tummy slightly uncomfortable heading towards Phoenix Park, and getting more uncomfortable as we head up Chesterfield Avenue. Damn. Desperately trying to keep everything relaxed, trying to get things working normally. Despite the discomfort, we kept a good, steady, sensible pace. Out of the park and Castleknock... whoa! They weren't lying about the incredible crowds here! Holy moly, I could not wipe the grin off my face here, the atmosphere was so fantastic. Hair-standing-on-end-fantastic. Incredible!

Miles 8-13.1 (half-way): 11:01; 11:03; 11:03; 11:33; 11:23: 11:36
    The downhill back into the park was a nice break, quiet time to regroup after the madness of Castleknock. We picked the pace up on the downhills because it felt easy and effortless. Tummy was jagging at me a bit, but I thought I might be getting it under control, as I have done before on previous races where it tried to scupper me.
    Chapelizod was another nice lift with the crowds, but once we crossed the river I was into unchartered territory, the next pile of miles until Milltown are parts of Dublin I really don't know.
    I had asked here whether it makes any difference, knowing the course ahead of time or not. It was felt that it shouldn't make a difference, but to be honest, for me, it did. I found not knowing where I was, not knowing the lie of the land, not knowing what was ahead (despite having watched videos and studied elevation charts and read first-hand accounts), was quite disorientating and made me feel like I wasn't fully in control of things. Not on a run of this scale anyway... probably wouldn't matter so much on a 5km run!
    Laurence's Hill was a case in point... what a pig of a hill:(. We knew we had to cut the pace right back when we saw it ahead, but it did cause a bit of a brain shock. Similarly, that long, long drag up to Crumlin Children's Hospital... the advice I'd read in advance had not really prepared me for this either. There were other drags up to and beyond the half-way point that I wasn't fully expecting either, and I do think I'd have benefited from sussing out this part of the route in advance. Drags aside, simply not knowing where I was for a large chunk of the race was not nice. There was also a long stretch with no water station, not sure where... but I see others noted this long waterless stretch too.

By the time we reached half-way, despite the nagging discomfort in my midriff, we were pretty much on target with our paces, particularly in light of the reputation of this route giving a negative split (*ahem*). I knew the rest of the race was going to be a bigger challenge than I had reckoned on with this pain to contend with on top of what was to be expected in the course of a "normal" marathon. But, I think a point came at about the half-way mark that I started to lose the battle with my stomach pains. Here's the thing. Once a hiatus hernia is making its presence felt, there are 2 things that are almost certain to make it worse in the moment: physical exertion, and eating/drinking :o You can probably see where this is going?! I knew taking on water and gels was going to do me harm, but not taking them was also going to do me harm... on balance, I quickly concluded that more harm would be done by not taking them, and I was going to have to suffer the consequences of taking them.
    All of a sudden, shortly after the half-way gantry, the pain went from just about manageable, to stopping me right in my tracks, gasping. I came to a complete and immediate standstill. Bananaleaf looked back, I could see the worry on her face, but I gestured to her to keep going... I knew this was not going to be something I'd cruise through now. 13 miles of trying to compensate with my posture and form and breathing was taking its toll, I think.
    I very quickly realised that Plan A (4:50ish) was now gone out the window. Within seconds of that, I also realised that Plan B (sub 5) was gone too. In fact, holy sh!t, Plan C (finishing) was not looking good either. I was a long way from the finish at this point, and the thought of even attempting to get through that distance with this stupid pain was very daunting.
    I doubled myself over and stood back up quickly... that often makes the stomach move back down. Not today though. Well... maybe a a tiny bit... I walked a bit, maybe 50 metres or so, then started to run again until I was forced to stop again. And that, my friends, is how the 2nd half of my DCM went.
    Run. Stop. Double-over. Walk.
    :(
    Look what happened the paces from the half-way point on... I tried so hard to keep the stops/walks as short as I could possibly get away with. I may have slowed down a lot, but looking at the figures, it looks like I was nevertheless remarkably consistent across the miles with my enforced, unavoidable run, stop, double-over, walk strategy. What a slog. But I'm a dogged, stubborn fecker, and not finishing was such a horrible, horrible prospect

Miles 14-26: 12:25; 12:39; 12:43; 13:24; 12:24; 12:37; 12:24; 12:56; 12:43; 12:46

The sense of feeling "lost" in an unknown part of the Dublin suburbs was probably worse because I was feeling so crap now. On the plus side, my legs, in fact all of me other than my midriff, still felt good and strong. At least my legs were still following the plan, huh?!

More positives from the 2nd half... In Terenure (I think!) I met my cousin who'd come out especially to support me. In Rathgar, another cousin who took to run alongside me in his normal clothes, chatting as if we were sitting over a cup of tea.. it was funny and hugely appreciated:o.
    Down into Milltown, I wasn't expecting to see my husband, mam, and sister, who had beetled out of town on the Luas to join forces with my aunt and more cousins, posters with my name on held aloft... what a great lift. Quick stop for hugs and to tell them things were not going great, thanking my mam for her genetic gift of the hiatus hernia :o
    As I left them, I noticed a small group of ladies right beside them holding a poster with Mr. Guappa's name on it! Of course! ReeReeG and Huzzah! The best I could muster at that moment was a "waahhhhh" and a particularly demented facial expression, I was afraid to stop again in case I couldn't start again. I'm so sorry I couldn't have been more coherent ladies, but thank you so much for being there because I did laugh on the inside :D

Another cousin, who had done DCM a few years ago, ran alongside me for a while here in his jeans and shirt, knowing I was in pain, just getting me prepped in my head for Heartbreak Hill, or as he called it, the "kick in the ar5e".
    At Clonskeagh, my lil bro, a lovely stylish runner himself, jogged along beside me, repeating his mantra to "run the tangent, don't run around bends... cut them!" to save time and energy. We were then joined by his multi-marathoner girlfriend who gently coaxed me, encouraged me, told me I was looking very comfortable and maintaining a very even pace (her sister videoed me along here and it was true... I didn't actually look like I was struggling.. I wonder do they think I was making it up?!:pac:) They left me so they could cut down through UCD so they could meet me again at Nutley.

Heartbreak Hill? Bizarrely, gave me little problem. The sticky road in the run-up to it was a strange experience, but the hill itself wasn't that bad. Once I got out onto the N11, I was back on very familiar territory. I've run this route many times during the Women's Mini Marathon. I meet Bananaleaf again here, so good to see her... I knew she was struggling but could see the grit in her face to get to the finish... we run together for a while and meet my lil bro again, who runs with us with his "run the tangent" mantra. In the knowledge that we can be blunt with one another, I said to him, "I love you to bits, but would you ever fnck off with your tangents right now?!" I had to stop again, Bananaleaf headed onwards, and I was once again joined by my brother's girlfriend to run down Nutley. She pointed out, by way of encouragement, that I was passing lots and lots of people, which I was. It felt weird running through so many walkers. She told me that the crowds in the next 1.5 miles to the finish line would carry me through, keep going, keep going!
    One more stop, no double-over this time, just a quick walk, then run again. Legs are finally feeling tired now... they've done well, but then again, they didn't have to run as fast as planned today!

There's the finish gantry! OMG there's the finish! It seemed to take so long to get there... but finally, the moment we've all dreamed of... I'm on the blue carpet, holding it together and not feeling the elation I thought I'd have earned at this stage, but I'm on the blue carpet! Over the line.
    Plan C, thank feck, has been salvaged.:o

Chip time: 5:19:15, though my watch timed 26.31 miles at 5:17:56... every minute counts, huh?! And see? I ran the tangent pretty well, lil bro!!!

The Aftermath
    I've done a marathon. I think I'm still struggling to believe that. Lads, really...me? Doing a MARATHON? Lol!
    But there's disappointment. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to run the race I had trained for, that I was ready for, and that I was capable of running. But I think I'll get over that. Probably am getting over that by now.
    What I'm by far the most disappointed about, and what had caused me to fight back some tears, is that I didn't, I couldn't, get to enjoy the experience. That was my major, overarching wish, to enjoy it whilst embracing the challenge, but that was taken from me by my stupid stomach, and can't be given back.
    But. Here's the but. I also have come to realise in the past 2 days that it was a privilege to get to finish it, even if it was under less than perfect circumstances. Ais_Byrne7's experience was sobering (relieved you're okay Ais :o), and quite a few reports of better runners than I not finishing.

I've said all along that I'd do one marathon. Just to knock it off the bucket list. But, I also feel now that I've unfinished business with DCM.
    Will I do it again? No. Maybe. Yes. :p
    Actually, it now seems that I have to let the stupid new lottery system make the decision for me :rolleyes:

Mr. Guappa, Huzzah! and ReeReeG... thank you so, so much. Such great patience and selflessness with your time. Just fab. Take a bow :)
    My fellow novices...no, no, my fellow GRADUATES... thanks for sharing the anticipation, the excitement, the jokes... yiz are as mad a a bottle of frogs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Sorry I haven't written a report yet but I have loved reading all yours. Thanks so much to all the mentors and everyone on the board page. I am so grateful and thankful for all the support and excellent advise the mentors gave us. I truly don't think I would have completed this marathon without you.

I am delighted I done it and did it in the time predicted, 3 seconds under my predicted time . I found it fine up still 18 miles, I don't know how many walls I hit at that point . I only stopped ones , I ran the rest of it, mind you very slow towards the end.

I raised over 1300 for the Peter MC Verry trust , I am absolutely delighted. Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you. Thank you all so much

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

DBB wrote: »
    Finally getting a chance to sit down and put my thoughts on paper. I had it all written out, and then it all disappeared on me. So here I go, all over again.

First of all, a few words on the implications of running when you've a hiatus hernia. Sorry, I know I probably have gone on about this, but it turned out to be critical to my day on Sunday.
    To explain what a hiatus hernia is, it's a hole in the diaphragm, just where the oesophagus enters the stomach, right under the breastbone. The stomach can slide up through the hole to some degree, sometimes completely if the hole (hernia) is big enough. In my case, just a bit of stomach can peep through, but it tends to be painful, and can cause the diaphragm to go into spasms which are very painful. For me, it only happens if I'm running, or if I've eaten too much of certain types of food, or *ahem* over-consumption of wine:o.
    The pain, when you're running, tends to shoot up into the shoulders too. To control it means keeping the breathing deep ("diaphragmatic breathing"), steady, and a conscious effort to keep the diaphragm relaxed, because stress and tension (and diet, and physical exertion) causes the stomach to move upwards and push through the hole in the diaphragm. The aim is to stop the stomach squooshing up at all, or to try to make it slip back down again if it does squoosh up.
    I've been managing the problem for months now since I realised what was going on and under doctor's orders, so much so that I had all but forgotten that it's an issue. But, I have to assume now that the excitement and anticipation of the big event on Sunday morning must have made things go askew on me. I also wonder if my carb-loading on batch bread did me harm. God I love batch loaf, but I'm not too sure that it loves me :o

Marathon Day
    Up at 6am, got stuff done at home with our various animals that needs to be done, marathon or no marathon. A bowl of porridge and honey at 7am, into the car with my husband, and a straightforward journey to Dublin. Got parked. Headed towards the Wave 4 area, saying my goodbyes to my husband and my friend who had joined us. Quick hello to my sister-in-law and her mam who were volunteering at the bag drop. By chance, I found Bananaleaf and Fraggle in the waiting area (okay okay, maybe I was slightly stalking ye), we were all wrapped up with our disposable hoodies, track suits and hats. Anxious-bladder syndrome drove us into the portaloos more than once!
    We didn't have to wait too long before we were off, at about 9:45. What a buzz! Everyone was in great form and the atmosphere was electric.
    Plan A was 4:50-4:55. Plan B was sub 5 hour. Plan C was to finish. The plan was to start out nice and steady, well behind the 5-hr pacers, and to review things at 7 miles, half-way, and again after Heartbreak Hill, lifting the pace at each stage if all was well.
    I was carrying my own water bottle and Zero tabs, which I topped up whenever needed at the water stations, and I was taking gels (Maurten, because of the kind-on-stomach reputation, every 4 miles. One hi-5 caffeine gel for Mile 16ish. All pre-tested on LSRs.

Miles 1-7: 11:30; 11:37; 11:50; 11:38; 11:52; 11:39; 11:37

Lots of hollering and whooping for the first mile. It was right here, along Kevin St, the opening mile, that to my horror, I felt the faintest twinge of discomfort in my stomach/diaphragm. Uh oh. Today? Really? REALLY?
    Haven't had to do this in a while, but I start to control my breathing and relax the area to help relieve the discomfort, to make my tummy drop back down below the diaphragm. By the time we got to Christchurch, the pain was getting sharper. I remembered that leaning forward and quickly standing back up again can do the trick... and it did. Instant relief. The next mile up to Stoneybatter was okay. Met my mam and sister in Blackhall Place. Quick hugs, and onwards.
    Tummy slightly uncomfortable heading towards Phoenix Park, and getting more uncomfortable as we head up Chesterfield Avenue. Damn. Desperately trying to keep everything relaxed, trying to get things working normally. Despite the discomfort, we kept a good, steady, sensible pace. Out of the park and Castleknock... whoa! They weren't lying about the incredible crowds here! Holy moly, I could not wipe the grin off my face here, the atmosphere was so fantastic. Hair-standing-on-end-fantastic. Incredible!

Miles 8-13.1 (half-way): 11:01; 11:03; 11:03; 11:33; 11:23: 11:36
    The downhill back into the park was a nice break, quiet time to regroup after the madness of Castleknock. We picked the pace up on the downhills because it felt easy and effortless. Tummy was jagging at me a bit, but I thought I might be getting it under control, as I have done before on previous races where it tried to scupper me.
    Chapelizod was another nice lift with the crowds, but once we crossed the river I was into unchartered territory, the next pile of miles until Milltown are parts of Dublin I really don't know.
    I had asked here whether it makes any difference, knowing the course ahead of time or not. It was felt that it shouldn't make a difference, but to be honest, for me, it did. I found not knowing where I was, not knowing the lie of the land, not knowing what was ahead (despite having watched videos and studied elevation charts and read first-hand accounts), was quite disorientating and made me feel like I wasn't fully in control of things. Not on a run of this scale anyway... probably wouldn't matter so much on a 5km run!
    Laurence's Hill was a case in point... what a pig of a hill:(. We knew we had to cut the pace right back when we saw it ahead, but it did cause a bit of a brain shock. Similarly, that long, long drag up to Crumlin Children's Hospital... the advice I'd read in advance had not really prepared me for this either. There were other drags up to and beyond the half-way point that I wasn't fully expecting either, and I do think I'd have benefited from sussing out this part of the route in advance. Drags aside, simply not knowing where I was for a large chunk of the race was not nice. There was also a long stretch with no water station, not sure where... but I see others noted this long waterless stretch too.

By the time we reached half-way, despite the nagging discomfort in my midriff, we were pretty much on target with our paces, particularly in light of the reputation of this route giving a negative split (*ahem*). I knew the rest of the race was going to be a bigger challenge than I had reckoned on with this pain to contend with on top of what was to be expected in the course of a "normal" marathon. But, I think a point came at about the half-way mark that I started to lose the battle with my stomach pains. Here's the thing. Once a hiatus hernia is making its presence felt, there are 2 things that are almost certain to make it worse in the moment: physical exertion, and eating/drinking :o You can probably see where this is going?! I knew taking on water and gels was going to do me harm, but not taking them was also going to do me harm... on balance, I quickly concluded that more harm would be done by not taking them, and I was going to have to suffer the consequences of taking them.
    All of a sudden, shortly after the half-way gantry, the pain went from just about manageable, to stopping me right in my tracks, gasping. I came to a complete and immediate standstill. Bananaleaf looked back, I could see the worry on her face, but I gestured to her to keep going... I knew this was not going to be something I'd cruise through now. 13 miles of trying to compensate with my posture and form and breathing was taking its toll, I think.
    I very quickly realised that Plan A (4:50ish) was now gone out the window. Within seconds of that, I also realised that Plan B (sub 5) was gone too. In fact, holy sh!t, Plan C (finishing) was not looking good either. I was a long way from the finish at this point, and the thought of even attempting to get through that distance with this stupid pain was very daunting.
    I doubled myself over and stood back up quickly... that often makes the stomach move back down. Not today though. Well... maybe a a tiny bit... I walked a bit, maybe 50 metres or so, then started to run again until I was forced to stop again. And that, my friends, is how the 2nd half of my DCM went.
    :(
    Look what happened the paces from the half-way point on... I tried so hard to keep the stops/walks as short as I could possibly get away with. I may have slowed down a lot, but looking at the figures, it looks like I was nevertheless remarkably consistent across the miles with my enforced, unavoidable run, stop, double-over, walk strategy. What a slog. But I'm a dogged, stubborn fecker, and not finishing was such a horrible, horrible prospect

Miles 14-26: 12:25; 12:39; 12:43; 13:24; 12:24; 12:37; 12:24; 12:56; 12:43; 12:46

The sense of feeling "lost" in an unknown part of the Dublin suburbs was probably worse because I was feeling so crap now. On the plus side, my legs, in fact all of me other than my midriff, still felt good and strong. At least my legs were still following the plan, huh?!

More positives from the 2nd half... In Terenure (I think!) I met my cousin who'd come out especially to support me. In Rathgar, another cousin who took to run alongside me in his normal clothes, chatting as if we were sitting over a cup of tea.. it was funny and hugely appreciated:o.
    Down into Milltown, I wasn't expecting to see my husband, mam, and sister, who had beetled out of town on the Luas to join forces with my aunt and more cousins, posters with my name on held aloft... what a great lift. Quick stop for hugs and to tell them things were not going great, thanking my mam for her genetic gift of the hiatus hernia :o
    As I left them, I noticed a small group of ladies right beside them holding a poster with Mr. Guappa's name on it! Of course! ReeReeG and Huzzah! The best I could muster at that moment was a "waahhhhh" and a particularly demented facial expression, I was afraid to stop again in case I couldn't start again. I'm so sorry I couldn't have been more coherent ladies, but thank you so much for being there because I did laugh on the inside :D

Another cousin, who had done DCM a few years ago, ran alongside me for a while here in his jeans and shirt, knowing I was in pain, just getting me prepped in my head for Heartbreak Hill, or as he called it, the "kick in the ar5e".
    At Clonskeagh, my lil bro, a lovely stylish runner himself, jogged along beside me, repeating his mantra to "run the tangent, don't run around bends... cut them!" to save time and energy. We were then joined by his multi-marathoner girlfriend who gently coaxed me, encouraged me, told me I was looking very comfortable and maintaining a very even pace (her sister videoed me along here and it was true... I didn't actually look like I was struggling.. I wonder do they think I was making it up?!:pac:) They left me so they could cut down through UCD so they could meet me again at Nutley.

Heartbreak Hill? Bizarrely, gave me little problem. The sticky road in the run-up to it was a strange experience, but the hill itself wasn't that bad. Once I got out onto the N11, I was back on very familiar territory. I've run this route many times during the Women's Mini Marathon. I meet Bananaleaf again here, so good to see her... I knew she was struggling but could see the grit in her face to get to the finish... we run together for a while and meet my lil bro again, who runs with us with his "run the tangent" mantra. In the knowledge that we can be blunt with one another, I said to him, "I love you to bits, but would you ever fnck off with your tangents right now?!" I had to stop again, Bananaleaf headed onwards, and I was once again joined by my brother's girlfriend to run down Nutley. She pointed out, by way of encouragement, that I was passing lots and lots of people, which I was. It felt weird running through so many walkers. She told me that the crowds in the next 1.5 miles to the finish line would carry me through, keep going, keep going!
    One more stop, no double-over this time, just a quick walk, then run again. Legs are finally feeling tired now... they've done well, but then again, they didn't have to run as fast as planned today!

There's the finish gantry! OMG there's the finish! It seemed to take so long to get there... but finally, the moment we've all dreamed of... I'm on the blue carpet, holding it together and not feeling the elation I thought I'd have earned at this stage, but I'm on the blue carpet! Over the line.
    Plan C, thank feck, has been salvaged.:o

Chip time: 5:19:15, though my watch timed 26.31 miles at 5:17:56... every minute counts, huh?! And see? I ran the tangent pretty well, lil bro!!!

The Aftermath
    I've done a marathon. I think I'm still struggling to believe that. Lads, really...me? Doing a MARATHON? Lol!
    But there's disappointment. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to run the race I had trained for, that I was ready for, and that I was capable of running. But I think I'll get over that. Probably am getting over that by now.
    What I'm by far the most disappointed about, and what had caused me to fight back some tears, is that I didn't, I couldn't, get to enjoy the experience. That was my major, overarching wish, to enjoy it whilst embracing the challenge, but that was taken from me by my stupid stomach, and can't be given back.
    But. Here's the but. I also have come to realise in the past 2 days that it was a privilege to get to finish it, even if it was under less than perfect circumstances. Ais_Byrne7's experience was sobering (relieved you're okay Ais :o), and quite a few reports of better runners than I not finishing.

I've said all along that I'd do one marathon. Just to knock it off the bucket list. But, I also feel now that I've unfinished business with DCM.
    Will I do it again? No. Maybe. Yes. :p
    Actually, it now seems that I have to let the stupid new lottery system make the decision for me :rolleyes:

Mr. Guappa, Huzzah! and ReeReeG... thank you so, so much. Such great patience and selflessness with your time. Just fab. Take a bow :)
    My fellow novices...no, no, my fellow GRADUATES... thanks for sharing the anticipation, the excitement, the jokes... yiz are as mad a a bottle of frogs :p

DBB that was such a brave run in spite of such awful difficulties, DCM20 will be no problem to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Eventually finished my race report on my log https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111639031&postcount=187

I'll just copy one short snippet from it here
    Thanks to all who were out supporting, most of whom I haven't even mentioned in the race report. Huzzah! and ReeReeG, once again I didn't see the two of you until I was almost past you and turned to see who'd called out my name.

A huge thanks to the mentors, Mr Guappa, Huzzah! and ReeReeG. You've all put in a huge amount of work over the last few monhts to get us to this stage, and it's hugely appreciated. I feel honoured to have been told to slow down! It's what makes me a proper novice. All of the novices have been amazing and it's been a privilege to be part of this group as we've made our individual journeys together from novice to graduate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Wombled wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't written a report yet but I have loved reading all yours. Thanks so much to all the mentors and everyone on the board page. I am so grateful and thankful for all the support and excellent advise the mentors gave us. I truly don't think I would have completed this marathon without you.

I am delighted I done it and did it in the time predicted, 3 seconds under my predicted time . I found it fine up still 18 miles, I don't know how many walls I hit at that point . I only stopped ones , I ran the rest of it, mind you very slow towards the end.

I raised over 1300 for the Peter MC Verry trust , I am absolutely delighted. Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you. Thank you all so much

Big huge congrats on your huge personal achievement & for raising such an amazing amount of money for a brilliant charity:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Lads, I am so emotional reading all these reports. I'm sitting in a coffee shop in lucan waiting on my grounded teenager to get his hair cut. I was on a high on Monday, didn't sleep Sunday night and then boom on Monday night the teenager brought me back down with a land. I drove him to his friends house whose mum I'm friends with and I said you can't live in my house until we sort out new rules. Cried all night, 2 hrs kip and yesterday was a nightmare. Supposed to be going to Aha last night and had to stay home to sort it out. Peace restored for now but a bit battered after it all. Came here and read those reports and I laughed, cried and got caught up in every journey. I love these stories of grit and triumph - how frickin awesome are we!! So looking forward to some gentle run therapy tonight. P.S. I set up a WhatsApp group ages ago to sort out the gifts. I had to pm group members to invite them and can i say boards is sh1t for messaging, took me about 3 hours to mesage 20/25 people. I'm sure i missed some, i just messaged those who were regular posters that particular week. If you want to join the group, message me your ph no and I'll add you. Not sure what we'll use it for but it's still pinging away for now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

eabha19 wrote: »
    If you want to join the group, message me your ph no and I'll add you. Not sure what we'll use it for but it's still pinging away for now!!

Oh it will ping on for a longtime. Our 2017 group still ping daily...yeah with much reduced numbers but the quality folk remain ;)

Sorry to hear about your young fella....I can relate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

am just about to watch this, thought I would share

"I RAN THE DUBLIN MARATHON WITHOUT TRAINING FOR IT | Day 300"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmYK9K95ylA

His poor arm holding the go-pro!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Eventually finished my race report on my log https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111639031&postcount=187

I'll just copy one short snippet from it here

Can't seem to quote but if 9-minute miles are good enough for Singer :D

• Advertisement

pd79 wrote: »
    Happily sitting in powerscourt hotel sipping on prosecco ! My race report is short! Miles 1-10 loved it pace was good, from then on knees really hurt, as per usual, I ran with my sister, and she struggled a bit too. I found pack of paracetamol on road and I'm not ashamed to say I took two !! But throughout , despite the pain, I knew I could do it. I ran last 6 miles for different people , and just felt grateful through out . I grew up watching my Dad running marathon, and now my kids have seen me do it. I ran walked last few miles . Time was never a priority for me, finishing strong and in one piece was I never wanted my kids to see me dragged across finish line, and I did finish strong . I soaked it all up, because dont think I could do it again !!

You looked really strong in Milltown.

I'd have taken the paracetomol too.

Hope you enjoyed the well-deserved prosecco. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

eabha19 wrote: »
    Lads, I am so emotional reading all these reports. I'm sitting in a coffee shop in lucan waiting on my grounded teenager to get his hair cut. I was on a high on Monday, didn't sleep Sunday night and then boom on Monday night the teenager brought me back down with a land. I drove him to his friends house whose mum I'm friends with and I said you can't live in my house until we sort out new rules. Cried all night, 2 hrs kip and yesterday was a nightmare. Supposed to be going to Aha last night and had to stay home to sort it out. Peace restored for now but a bit battered after it all. Came here and read those reports and I laughed, cried and got caught up in every journey. I love these stories of grit and triumph - how frickin awesome are we!! So looking forward to some gentle run therapy tonight. P.S. I set up a WhatsApp group ages ago to sort out the gifts. I had to pm group members to invite them and can i say boards is sh1t for messaging, took me about 3 hours to mesage 20/25 people. I'm sure i missed some, i just messaged those who were regular posters that particular week. If you want to join the group, message me your ph no and I'll add you. Not sure what we'll use it for but it's still pinging away for now!!

I can't say it gets any easier, they test us to our limits but we always have their backs ;)

Thanks for setting up the whats app group, absolutely brilliant talking to like minded people with a love for running :D

3boyz wrote: »

Yesterday was the strangest day, it was the best day ever and yet it was mixed with complete pain, discomfort and hardship, marathon runners we must be sadists!

Miles 1-8 were ok, I was conscious of going to fast but I went on feel, and I wasnt breathing too heavily or working too hard so I just ploughed along conscious all the time that I would go to fast and blow up.

Miles 9-14 were a mix of good and bad. I was still feeling great, took a gel at the 10 mile mark and continue on and hit the hill on St. Laurences Road, oh my god, that flipping hill, it absolutely drained me and I took it as slow as I could. Miles 11 and 12 passed and I felt a bit like , flip how am I going to get to the end of this. I passed the half way mark and two women ran past me and said to each other, pity this isnt the finish line, I was thinking the very same. I also clocked at this stage that my first half had definitely been too fast. I had done exactly what I was told not too, :eek: I could have cried. All I could think of was Frash's race report where the exact same thing had happened to him, at a very similar pace, and all I could think was how in gods name I would get to the finish line. I stopped at mile 14 and took a gel, water and stretched and got back running. At this stage I just had to pull up my big girl pants and keep going. I decided I would just slow down and try and keep going for as long as I could. I had always had a plan that if I just made it to mile 20 I would walk, run and crawl the last 6 miles.

I hit so many walls at this stage I had no idea if I had hit heart break hill or where the hell it was. I want to add though that I was still actually enjoying the whole experience, this is why I think we are a bunch of sadists :). The support along the way and people shouting your name gives you such a boost and while I was struggling I still kept telling myself I was so lucky to be running a marathon on a beautiful sunny day, something this time last year I would have never said I would manage. I was amazed how I could go from barely moving my legs, at one point my arms were going faster than my feet, to suddenly be back in a fairly comfortable stride and be back running at a reasonable pace again.

Mile 23-26.2 - I couldnt believe it I was still moving!! I just had to get to mile 25 and the embassy and I wouuld see my boys, I gathered myself, walked a little bit, took out a bag of jellies, struggled to open the bag, nearly choked on a tiny jelly, how can kids inhale bags of these things, when it must have taken me 5 mins to eat one and that neary killed me. Got myself toghether and shuffled on until I came to my brother and the boys, stopped to hug each of them, eldest told me how proud he was and younger two ran along the path beside me for a few metres, it was amazing and made the whole experience so worth it. At that moment in time I was supermom, not the usual nagging one :rolleyes:. They gave me such a lift and this is my proudest moment, it was like they were a power bank and I just took off and literally sprinted the last half a mile, I was soo thrilled to see the finish line. I was buzzing, I'm sure people thought I was nuts but I was just so absolutely thrilled that I had done it, I'd run a marathon and omg look at the time, what the heck, I could have done a dance, except the rigour mortis literally kicked in by the time I'd got my tshirt. :)

Loved your report. It had all the highs and lows that running a marathon can bring. You'd the right approach from the start, just wanting to enjoy it and I'm glad that you got to. Congratulations!

Miles 22.5- Finish

Went over the UCD bridge, felt ok again.
    As i was approaching RTE, my hamstring gave me a reminder twitch again followed by another twitch in my right calf. I knew at this stage, I was going to be in a world of pain within the next few minutes as from previous experience playing football over the years, these things dont just go away.
    As i was saying to Laineyfrecks in McGrattans, I felt for 22 miles this Marathon was grand, not easy in the slightest but very manageable for me. Suddenly, it was anything but... I turned off nutley lane and headed towards home. I was fearing the next 2 miles.
    BOOM. Both calves and both hamstrings tightened up to the stage I felt I was no longer in control of my legs. It felt surreal, It was almost like I was in a parralel universe and it wasnt really happening. Eventually It became too much pain and I had to stop and stretch for few seconds. No doubt about it, I panicked.I started again and felt the pain had lessened a bit and found a pace i think i could finish at. It was slower but I was going in the right direction.
    I looked at the watch, did the maths and realised, I had the sub 3.30 target hit, even it i had to slow to walk but I really didn't want to walk over the line.
    I wanted to finish this marathon on my terms. I gritted my teeth, thought as positive as I can and ran that last mile with everything I had, displaying the cheesiest fake smile one could ever see. I'm done. I'm thrilled.. 3.25.20.

Had a couple of pints in Mcgrattans- Great to put a few faces to names. Thank you very much to the three mentors. They really were excellent. Skyblue , you got me interested in that Amsterdam Marathon next year. Without a shadow of a doubt despite the pain at the finish, I will definitely run another marathon.

Sorry not to have met you in McGrattans to hear the details in person. Congratulations on a great debut. Fair play to you for digging so deep at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Sorry if this has been asked before, but now It's all over wondering about recovery over the next week or so?

In terms of strength work (weights), running, and steady state cardio like yoga etc

Also, When's a good idea to go for a sports massage?

And finally, races or park runs etc, how long to leave it until we can run hard again

Any advice would be really appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Target 4:29:59
    Actual 4:48:23

Race report

Well where to even begin with this... 1st Marathon attempt and felt everything up to race was good and training runs etc had been really good; taper went well enough; hydration and fuel in last week were good but ultimately last 1/3 of race was a disaster!
    Started the race with a friend who had done the exact same training and we would have been very similar from ability POV (he finished with 4.29).

- First 11KM went exactly to our plan and we were just under 72mins.
    - Next 10km then we picked up in the spots where we said we could and backed off the hills etc and went through the half in just about 2.15.30.
    - Then from here to 30KM I just started to struggle with energy in the legs, couldnt get the pick up to paces that I wanted so told friend to drive on at around 28km;
    - I ended up going through 30km in about 3hrs15mins but then the fun and games really started at about 33km.. It really was like someone turned the Power button off.. felt sick, went very pale (according to friends supporting), couldnt take any more fuel on bar water and had to go with a Walk/Run plan from here to about 40.5km where I then mustered the energy to run in the last stretch.
    - Essentially the last 12.2km took me 1hr33mins!! definitely not what I had envisaged.

Overall the experience was still a good one and some tremendous learnings over the duration of training and racing!! the support on the course was brilliant, thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 hours and the last 8-10 mins.. haha!! We also managed to raise over €6.5k for charity too so that was a positive too.

Just means Im going to have to go again at some point in the future at another marathon; but it has spurred an interest to keep up running more regularly now going forward so going to look to join a club over the next few weeks!

Congrats to everyone on their wonderful races also and some tremendous race reports & stories emerging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Clareview wrote: »
    Target 4:29:59
    Actual 4:48:23

Race report

- Essentially the last 12.2km took me 1hr33mins!! definitely not what I had envisaged.

I ran my second marathon this year and in my experience the distance after 30km is really where the hard work begins. From looking at my times and some friends (who are also novice's) times it is clear that the pace tends to drop a bit for the last 12km

It is something I want to try and address for next year. Fair play and congrats on first marathon! it is a great achievement and you will learn a lot from it. Every one you learn something new from, what is the beauty of it IMO.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but now It's all over wondering about recovery over the next week or so?

In terms of strength work (weights), running, and steady state cardio like yoga etc

Also, When's a good idea to go for a sports massage?

And finally, races or park runs etc, how long to leave it until we can run hard again

Any advice would be really appreciated :)

The advice is a day per mile raced. That's not to say you can't do any exercise for 26 days but everything should be easy for at least that number of days, even a month. I'm not sure about strength training, but I'm inclined to think the same rules apply. You've micro tears in your muscles after the marathon so taking it easy has to be a good idea.

I linked an article up the way on taking a minimum of two weeks off running altogether. I didn't last year and I suffered a bit (I think) from overtraining as a result.

Here's another good article on the topic: https://runnersconnect.net/how-to-recover-after-a-marathon/ I would take the recommended runs with a pinch of salt though. It gives guidelines for getting massages too.

Don't race for at least a month. If you're looking for a good race, I'd recommend Jingle Bells on 7 December. https://www.popupraces.ie/race/jingle-bells-5k-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

kyomi: that's a brilliantly executed first marathon - well done. You were disciplined early on and you followed the pace band perfectly. I'm glad that you took our advice on board and modified your training plan and it's great to see that you had such a strong race on Sunday!

But, tough cookie? Me? Hahaha :pac:

frash: I'm gutted that you had such a tough day. I hope that Mrs Frash was right and that you'll conquer this beast another time. Even though it went pear-shaped on the day, you earned that medal over the past six months, and especially over those closing six miles. Well done.

rizzee: Well done on blowing your target out of the water. You've got the potential to knock huge chunks off that next time around as well. As you say, a little more dedication and sticking to the plan will see you make massive leaps. I think you may have caught the running bug, which is great to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sorbet

Huzzah! wrote: »
    The advice is a day per mile raced. That's not to say you can't do any exercise for 26 days but everything should be easy for at least that number of days, even a month. I'm not sure about strength training, but I'm inclined to think the same rules apply. You've micro tears in your muscles after the marathon so taking it easy has to be a good idea.

I linked an article up the way on taking a minimum of two weeks off running altogether. I didn't last year and I suffered a bit (I think) from overtraining as a result.

Here's another good article on the topic: https://runnersconnect.net/how-to-recover-after-a-marathon/ I would take the recommended runs with a pinch of salt though. It gives guidelines for getting massages too.

Don't race for at least a month. If you're looking for a good race, I'd recommend Jingle Bells on 7 December. https://www.popupraces.ie/race/jingle-bells-5k-2019/

2 weeks.....ill be as big as a house! I'm eating everything around me :)

Loving the race reports - will do my own this week once I've stopped walking like a cowboy :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

what a great experience, how one can get some much satisfaction from so much pain is beyond me

was on target with the 3-40 pacers until 32km and the knee went to ****, had to stop and give it a rub down, limped home in 3-50, happy with that TBH

definitely would go back

thanks to all on here with all the great advice and tips and well done to everyone, taking part and training was an achievement in its self, we will all be stronger for next year for it

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Sorbet wrote: »
    2 weeks.....ill be as big as a house! I'm eating everything around me :)

Loving the race reports - will do my own this week once I've stopped walking like a cowboy :p

I’m the same 😂, totally underestimated how tired and sore I would be! I’m in awe of anyone who can put the runners on and get back running this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

I am really enjoying the race reports - well done to all. And thanks for taking the time to write them up. Cheers to everyone who posted logs, reports, hints and tips, posed questions and provided answers since the start of this board. Especially to the mentors this year, and those from yesteryear. I am looking forward to continuing following people's training logs and watching the running start up again (eventually) on strava.

I am an infrequent poster, but constant lurker and I've no doubt there are many like that picking up valuable advice - especially with the range of experience, paces, training plans etc being talked about.

DCM 2019 - my first Dublin marathon

It was a fantastic day, great crowds and support, Dublin was looking great. A group of 6 travelled down from Belfast with 4 PBs, an improvement on last year's time from a fifth runner who is recovering from a chronic lung condition, and the sixth runner who wouldn't have had a traditional build up to the marathon but still put in a very respectable run. Each with our own targets, plans and outcomes. But we celebrated as a team on Sunday night!

I had a great race - felt it for the last couple of miles, but sure if it was easy, then anyone would be doing it. Instead, the training teaches us resilience, and gives us the fight to dig deep when needed most. I knocked over 30 mins off my Belfast marathon time from 6 months ago so super chuffed, but am basking in the knowledge that this was not by accident - but instead the outcome of many many hours pounding the streets of Belfast at varying (but predetermined and controlled) paces. In the 18 weeks leading up to Belfast marathon I ran 473 miles. Over the last 18 weeks to DCM, I put in 891 miles. It is not quite double.... but it is not too far off. And thankfully the gains were there to see.

And the same goes to everyone here - whether the race went to plan, or suffered a hiccup along the way, there are positives to be taken. But no one here has run DCM by accident, this was as a result of the hard work and determination shown by all, and under the expert guidance of mentors, and fellow boards members.

Hats off to you all - some real inspiration to be found, and I've no doubt many more runners next year will reference back to this thread for sage advice.

Finally, please do take some time to watch the video linked by Naked Lepper - it is a lesson in what not to do, and what happens when you do the exact opposite of what is being advised here - absolute gas.

"I RAN THE DUBLIN MARATHON WITHOUT TRAINING FOR IT | Day 300"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmYK9K95ylA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I knew it was going to be tough, but I didn't realise how tough it was going to be. I had to hold back the tears on so many occasions - tears because I was finally running it, tears cos it all hurt, tears cos I seen someone hugging someone they knew on the sideline, tears cos the energy from the DJ in cheerzone, tears cos I seen my friend, tears again cos I thought about seeing my other friends later and the effort they had made, tears cos I couldn't believe I wasn't nearly finished, and tears cos the lady handed me a medal.

Well done everyone on your massive efforts over the last few months & over the weekend. Thanks to the mentors for the constant checking in. I feel truly humbled to be part of this group to have achieved our goal together. I don't think the last few months would have been as enjoyable without this group.

On Sunday during the race I was thinking, what the HELL was I doing signing up for this. When people asked me afterwards I said, never again. Yesterday, I still was saying never again, but with a little hesitation, and today... well... never say never...

Yes, you just really don't know what a marathon is truly like until you're in the thick of it, do you? Well done!!!!

Hahaha yeah as the pain fades, the thoughts of the next one always creeps in...

akenno wrote: »
    Post Race
    It was an out of body experience then until I got to the goodie bag. I had no water on me and I was gasping. The medal went on my neck and I was so happy. I had thought of this moment on manys a lonely LSR awake at stupid o’clock on a Saturday morning, then all of a sudden it was done. I had ran a marathon. I collected my bag and sat on the steps somewhere, took out my phone and rang my wife and parents. I immediately burst into tears, it was all very overwhelming. I met up with them and then a few friends from work for a couple of drinks. I couldn’t get near McGrattans front door and the stairs would most definitely have been my downfall.

Future
    I’m going to start up a training log and see how that goes. I want to come up with a plan for next year and try get some PB’s on 10km and Half-Marathons. I always said I would be one and done in Marathons, but now I am thinking I would do another and get that sub 4.

Finally, I would like to thank all the mentors and fellow novices for their advice. I was late joining this thread, but it definitely helped me. I do think I wouldn’t have been able to complete the marathon in the time I did without their advice.

Congrats! You sounded completely in control of that race :) Super first marathon. I've no doubt you'll get that sub 4 (and some) next time out.

Good shout on starting a log!

OK here goes, my report for DCM 2019.
    Target: 4:20:00
    Actual: 4:10:07

The day before…
    I had my day planned out, I was taking two of the kids to a match, I was picking up some groceries and I was going to be home relaxing, hydrating and eating my planned meals for the rest of the day. Had lots of visitors, including my best friend who was full of advice and all was well. (Took out a big saga, in case she stumbled upon this site.) I was really stressed out the night before and so so nervous. I had to take something to settle my stomach.

While all of this was going on, I was getting snacks, water and electrolyte tablets ready. And then I left the whole lot at home!

Christmas/Marathon morning…
    Slept for a few hours on Saturday night, I woke up a few times, but it wasn’t a brutal sleep. Into the shower at 6am and hubby made me a small coffee and two slices of toast with peanut butter. I ate while I got my hair dried, gear on etc. I could have been eating sawdust my mouth was so dry and I was very nervous. The time flew and next thing I knew it, my friend was outside. We were dropped outside the Davenport Hotel, used the facilities and then headed over to the bag drop. I left all of my layers on until the very last minute, used the portaloo one last time and again I was ready, wave 3 was going. Good job I hadn’t planned on running with the pacers, they had long gone again I crossed the starting line!

I can never do mile by mile recounts of any race; I’ll do a brief summary of stages.

From the start line to the park was lovely, it tipped along nicely, with pockets of congestion in places. Probably helped that I was at the back of the pack.

Into the Phoenix Park we went and again we were moving nicely. I was dreading Chesterfield Avenue (no real reason why!), but it was great to cruise along. I was very conscious of keeping things conservative at this point. I could spot my gym buddies waving a huge flag from far away and it was amazing to see them at mile 6 and again at mile 9. Had a huge smile on my face and lots of big waves and thumbs up! I overtook the 4:20 pacers before we came back into the park and had a lovely spot within a pack just coasting along. I felt like an athlete!

Out by Chapelizod Gate, passing the 10-mile marker, still feeling good, up Inchicore Road and down the South Circular Road, feeling happy, hydrated, pain free and the pace was fairly consistent.

At the halfway mark, I gave a little cheer and told myself that I was on the home stretch. Woohoo! I wanted to get the Walkinstown Roundabout and see how I was going, but I didn’t think I was going to up the pace, I had decided to try and run an even pace throughout.

Mile 15 comes and goes, and I meet loads of work colleagues who happen to live in this area. Loads of support from the locals and marathon watchers. Just fab.

I had earphones in, but I mostly had my music turned off and I was trying to take everything in; the people, the kids, the signs, the goodies on offer, the tables with photos of the goodies (southside!) and encouragement galore. It was quite an experience!

As I seen the sign welcoming you into Terenure Village, I told myself – you’ve walked home from town, trollied and in your heels; you can do this! I used to live in this part of town in an earlier decade.

Coming up to mile 20 on Milltown Road, I knew my Mum, Sisters, Brother, brothers and sister in law, niece, nephew and my little boys were all waiting for me. Lots of cheers, I gave them big waves, blew a kiss and then I was gone. I couldn’t pull over to the side, there was a large glut of runners at the time and there were so many people lining the side of the roads. I also felt that if I stopped, I would not be able to get going again. A little further up as the road straightened, my husband was there with an electrolyte drink – I gratefully accepted the drink and he shouted 4:07 at me. I shouted back that I would be slowing down a little bit! Up until then I had taken water on board at every water station, sipping at the bottle, but I needed something extra in the second half. I was also taking a gel religiously every 5km. Shortly after I met my family and in or around the 21-mile marker I felt a wave of something hit me – tiredness, tummy was gurgling bad and I was fully sure that I was going to throw up. I also had a bad stitch, most likely from skulling the sweet drink I was given at 20 miles. I walked for 20 seconds or so to do some deep breathing to try and relieve some pain. I told myself to get going again albeit slowly and took what was to be my last gel (number 7!!!) at 22 miles. I was at the edge of the road and some bystanders watched me take a bit of the gel and retch, but thankfully I didn’t throw up. I managed to get it in, with some water and decided that I was not talking any more of those things. Someone in boots, jeans and a lovely long wool coat jumped in to run with someone she knew and proclaimed, “this is grand isn’t it.” I had to sidestep her and nearly took a tumble. Putting all of my weight onto one leg wasn’t a good plan at that stage of the run!

I met friends at every mile from 21 onwards, they were all spaced out and my gym coach at 40km for the final push. It was amazing to see them and hear them cheering me on.

The rest of the marathon passed by in a blur, I kept going, weaving in and out as I needed to, focused only on getting to the finish. It was like a scene from the walking dead, people stumbling, others hunched over, some walking, lots cramping, a woman bleeding from her forehead and other disasters that I won’t describe. I too felt wrecked, my stomach was in bits, I still had a bit of a stitch and I was fed up of my shorts riding up. I was waiting and waiting for Heartbreak Hill and it didn’t even register with me, I was literally in a daze.

All of a sudden, I could see the finish line and a sign saying 400m to go, but it felt like 2km. I emptied what was left in the tank, literally fumes and made it onto the mat and finally over the line in a time of 4:10:07. I clung onto the barrier, I felt sick and the colour drained from my face. A lovely finisher helped me to steady myself and I was brought into the tent before I fainted. A drop of tea, water and a seat helped greatly. I phoned my husband, collected my medal, top and goodie bag and walked/stumbled for an age to meet him and the rest of my family. They had a pint of chocolate milk for me – OMG it was divine. My Mum and sister headed off home via Dundrum. My youngest child puked all over himself and the car on the way to Dublin that morning. Once he seen me, he was whisked off to Dundrum and then home. Truth be told, he was more excited about seeing Batman than me!

Friends had pre-arranged a spot to meet for a drink/bite to eat post-race. I eventually managed to get over to them I was too late for food, but wasn’t hungry anyway so I had two Imodium, tea and water. Later on that evening I had the nicest burger ever, chocolate and a few glasses of wine with friends. Bliss. I’m sorry I didn’t make it to McGrattans, I’d say it would have been closing time again I got there, I was walking so gingerly.

Postmortem
    Feeling a bit wheezy/chesty since Sunday and I am so so tired. Almost feels like jetlag! Legs are a bit sore and stiff too! I will be taking it very handy this week and I’m aiming to get out for a little jog, much later in the week.

If there is a next time I would like to train and run with someone with the same target. I had you guys to train virtually with and I adore you all for it! I did however miss having someone with me on the course.

I would hope to be more organised for the next marathon – not starting the race with only two slices of toast in my stomach and nothing in my bag for a pre or post-race snack or drink.

I wouldn’t have been able to complete DCM 2019 without this group of wonderful people. Mentors, Mr. Guappa, Huzzah and ReeReeG, you have all been so giving with your time and advice this year; on boards and strava etc. Honestly, you are all amazing and I will never be able to thank you enough. Will this thread stay alive?!

In June 2018 I decided that I would try and get better with the old running – at the time I couldn’t make it to a 2km marker without stopping. That September I made it around the DCM half marathon without stopping – I was slow, but I didn’t stop! I was a spectator at the DCM 2018 marathon, and I swore I was going to give 2019 a go. And I did and I made it around. I’m so proud of myself, I’m proud of us all for making it through.

Interesting fact: One of my lads though the cheering zone icons on the map were puking zones. I don’t think he was too far wrong!!

Between the interesting fact and your line about tottering home in heels being motivation, I really enjoyed this report :pac:
    Seriously though, congrats, you gave it everything judging by what happened after the finish line. And totally smashed your predicted time!!!

Race report

Target time 3:55

I was in wave 4, which was a misjudgement I knew even before the race started as my times were more wave 1/2 times but decided to stick where I was regardless. Anyway dropped my bag and made my way to the start line as I wanted to be near the front of the wave. However once in the holding area I realised I'd forgotten to take off my pants which were too good to discard so had to tear back to the bag area and put them in my bag. Back to holding area then and wave had started to move fwd. No problem really as I could move away up along the footpath towards the front anyway but with all this it really disrupted my warmup routine which played on my mind for the first half of the race.

Miles 1 - 13
    Had often run 13 miles in training but they never felt as bad as this to be honest. Pain in hips, glutes, back. Even stopped during first Mile to stretch my back as I'd forgotten to do so during warmup. Had to check myself a few times in first few miles too and through the park to slow pace down to 8:30 min miles. Upped it a bit then through Castleknock but coming to the halfway point I wasn't feeling great to be honest. Pace had slowed to 8:30min miles

Miles 13 - 21
    Started off bad but realised that I needed to bank some time ahead of mile 21/22 so upped pace again mostly making use of any slight downhill but coming to roebuck I knew my times were back on track at 7:50s per mile.

Miles 22 - 26
    Because I started in wave 4 I was passing people all day and I had just caught up with a big bunch of people which turned out to be the wave 4 pacers which was annoying as it was going to be awkward trying to pass them but fortunately we just turned on the N11 so I could run just outside the cones and move up easily.
    Really started to feel fresh at this stage and benefit from the banked slow times earlier. From there to the finish I really felt good and ran my 4 fastest miles of the whole race circa 7:40min miles.

Finishing time 3:33:35

Have to be happy with that really. Highlight was going through the tunnel and some guy did the uggy uggy uggy thing. Great craic! Very happy with my first marathon. Great fun although I did find a few times that given I was mostly running at the edge of the road that supporters were slow to move out of the way causing me to crash twice but it can be forgiven considering the amazing support they provide. Also as someone else has already mentioned I was hanging for water around the later stations which seemed to be abandoned. But anyway overall a brilliant race.

I was a latecomer to this thread but have to say it was a valuable source of info, advice and tips and motivation almost daily once I did find it. A huge thank you to all participants in this thread esp the mods. Congrats all, a huge achievement to get to the starting line of a marathon in my opinion. Never mind finish it. Well done everyone.

That's a super run, well done. I'd say you traveled well over the 26.2 as well judging by the weaving you must have had to do!

kyomi wrote: »
    Afterwards
    I stumbled along to get my medal and t-shirt - could barely walk but there was nowhere to sit down, and I didn't think I'd be able to get up again if I did. When we finally reached the goody bags I opened my bottle of water and drank the whole thing at once - I was really tired of the taste of my Zero tablet solution by that time and couldn't face drinking any more of it. But that didn't do my tummy any good - there were more people vomiting in the bag drop, and that didn't help either! Luckily I met a pal from my club and we walked through together, encouraging each other to keep going and not be sick! I got through to my husband on the phone after picking up my bag and arranged to meet him at McGrattans. To be honest I was in no state to go to McGrattans but with my addled brain, all I could think of was sticking to the plan that I'd made originally. I didn't have the bandwidth to do anything different. But I should have turned the other way up Baggot Street and met my parents because they had their car there. Anyway, I stumbled through the crowds to McGrattans and by the time I got there I was shaking with the cold and nausea. I had a full change of clothes in the bag drop bag so I went into the bathrooms and changed. But when I came back out the crowds were overwhelming and I couldn't imagine how I could find anyone I knew. There was no one from my club there (I had been expecting some) and the only person I knew from the Boards group probably wouldn't be there for another hour as she was in the wave behind me. I didn't fancy asking everyone if they were my Internet friends! so I hung around outside waiting for my husband and as soon as he arrived I had to leave as I was still freezing and starting to get really hungry!

So apologies, boards people, I really did want to meet you all, and particularly thank the mentors in person, but my brain just wasn't working properly! I hope we'll get to meet again another time.

Reading all the other race reports is a real rollercoaster of highs and lows. I really feel for all the people whose races didn't go well, particularly Ais_Byrne7, Bananaleaf and DBB - hope you're all relaxing and recovering now. And I'm so happy for those who did, even though I never met most of you! I know I wasn't the most prolific poster in this group but I followed every post on it and tried to take on board all the advice. Mr. Guappa, I thought you were a tough cookie at the start, but I modified my plan based on your advice, and I'm glad I did. And Huzzah! and ReeReeG, you always had great (and quick) answers to all my questions and meanderings. So thanks everyone!

Aaaaah fantastic!! I had been wondering how you did, so delighted you got the result, and congrats!! Yes, I could tell you were wary of the process at various times but so happy you trusted in it throughout your training and it paid off. Really well run race.

DCM Reflection

August 2018 I had a sinus infection. Went to the GP. Heart murmur detected. Told it may have been present since birth - but it might not have been. I don’t think it was there at birth - only other time heart murmur was detected was during pregnancy - but this time I wasn’t pregnant - but my weight was a big problem - age 42 6 feet tall and 20 stone. Cardiologist visit booked. That day I went to the GP, I was waiting to be told I was diabetic with high cholesterol - I was petrified of that so I joined slimming world that evening - smothered with that sinus infection. I lots a stone in 2 weeks and then went to the cardiologist. Echo showed a problem with my tri-cuspid valve that was causing a back flow of blood - hence the murmur. I was told my heart was fine otherwise and to carry on with life. Scan again in 2 years. On that same day my colleague was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer. Suddenly I woke up.

August - October 2018 I continued to lose weight and in October I joined a gym. I was in a group training class with 3 other women. The first session…the coach stopped the treadmill after 20 seconds. I vomited twice that morning. I sent him a message that night and said - “this isnt for me”. He said “get back in here in the morning - you will be fine and you wont regret it.” He was right. I fell in love with exercising at the gym and the other 3 women left the class after 4 weeks - so I got 4 more weeks 1:1. At Christmas he was closed for a few days and I wanted to exercise - so I said I would start the C25K again (I had done this many times over the years and always stopped around week 4). On New Years Day I took off to Lough Boora and ran 5K without stopping. I cried with happiness. I was always the girl in school who hated PE, could never finish the 1500m annual torture.

I never went back to the gym. I took myself off to Parkrun. Next the Tipperary fun road races. Then Offaly Road Race Series. Then in April I entered a 10K…I came last (my worst nightmare) - but I didn’t care. When I heard that the DCM had extra numbers for sale me and my husband said we would try our luck. We got in - 4 hours sitting on the computer hitting refresh. Now it was real.

The Boards group has been brilliant. Great support - thank you all.

My marathon training has had its ups and downs. I injured my knee after Tullamore and felt very demotivated after the Phoenix Park Half. Longwood re-motivated me - despite the big drama over the medal…! I have been chased by dogs, men in lorries and it’s all been worth it!

The goal - 5hr 59 min 59 secs.

DCM morning I got up at 5.30. Breakfast was weetabix, skimmed milk and a bagel with cream cheese. Coffee. Husband and I picked up a friend and we drove to J14 M7 where we met lots of people stopping for coffee who were clearly runners…Oh the nerves! Got to Dublin in great time and parked in Stephens Green Shopping Centre (after trying to drive down Grafton Street!). Had another coffee and a pee and then to the baggage area. Husband and friend disappeared to wave 2. I headed to wave 4. Met Kara and had a hug (lovely lady!) and then met Maureen, Sarah and Elaine (more lovely ladies!) and before I knew it, after 2 portaloo visits (and no poos…what the hell?? that freaked me out as I always do those before a race)…it was time to go. My fuelling plan was Dates..I ate 5 and NEVER AGAIN! I relied on the stuff people gave out and the gel they gave out and lucozade and I was fine.

Miles 1-10 12:22 12:57 13:05 13.05 12:43 12.43 12.36 12.32 12.46 12:32
    The plan was 13 min miles for the 1st half of the marathon. Absolutely loved the first ten miles. Great crowds, super weather. Loved the park. I was going slightly faster than planned but I felt BRILLIANT! Consciously adjusted pace.

Miles 11-13.1 13.09 12.57 13.01
    All going well until I saw that fecking half way bridge. I was going SO well - and then I decided to stop and take a photo of it to text it to my sons…how stupid was that?! Once I stop I find it so so hard to get going no matter what the distance. In my head I had wanted to pick it up a bit speed wise after half way - but no…I do the opposite and stop to take a stupid photo! I then stopped to have a drink.

Mile 14 - 20 13:45 13:05 13:58 13:54 13:29 15.30 13.33
    A combination of walking and running for much of this. All psychological. In no pain, felt fine. In my head, I had stopped. In my head I wanted to make sure I ran in the last 3 miles of the race so for some reason I decided to walk - run here. I have no idea why. I was very frightened of the hills people spoke about - maybe I thought if I run - walk I would be ok with the hills and would make it to the end - why did I read that over 20 per cent of people who started the London Marathon don’t finish? That freaked me out.

Mile 21-26.2 13.25 15.41 14.35 13.13 14.12 12.36 12.36
    Heartbreak hill - I don’t get it - the hill before that was much worse. Aside for the floor being sticky I didn’t see the issue with Roebuck Road. The last 1.2 miles was fantastic! The crowds were great. I learned you cant run and cry at the same time!

So I got there! I ran 18 miles completely and walk-ran the rest. 5 hours 51 mins and 42 seconds. Goal achieved time wise. I will be back next year - assuming I get through this lottery. I know now I can do it. I know now that the hills aren’t something to be afraid of. I wont give up until I can run the full 26.2 miles non stop.

Husband’s goal was about 4:10 - he ended up at 4:45 as his leg went. So he has unfinished business too. We’ve raised about 1000 euro for the place I work, so an added bonus!

I am now 6 stone lighter. I still have more weight to lose. I will.

I have a marathon medal. But more importantly I have developed a genuine love for exercise. My 13 year old said last week - "Mum, you must have been running or something as you are so happy and full of beans!"

I wouldn’t have got that medal without you guys - I would have ran too fast and died OR continued to run every 5K trying to get faster by even 1 second each time - and then got injured and never would have made it at all to the start line. Trust the plan...and for future novices reading this...trust the mentors and your peers!

Happy resting!

PS just read back over the other reports

Ais Byrne - I am so sad to read what happened - you earned that medal and look at those splits...but at the same time I can understand a little about how you must feel.

DBB - just want to say you are brilliant and have been so supportive...when my Strava went quiet...my phone messages pinged! Thank you x

Bananaleaf - I hope you get selected as a mentor next year. You're inspirational.

Wow. It's quite the cliche, but you've had some journey and I feel like you're still on it, with so much more to come. Congrats to you! Hope to meet you at some race or other in the Faithful county in the future :)

• Advertisement

jackc101 wrote: »
    Comparisons;
    Here's where I admit (again) to not being a complete novice, I did Cork in June using the HH plan all by myself. It shows the difference being part of a group and being mentored can make that I knocked a huge chunk off my Cork time; 17 mins 45 seconds to be precise.

Many thanks to the mentors for the wise words & the gang of 2019 for the giggles

That's an incredible improvement since June, congrats on the PB!

Advertisement