Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great race report & brilliant race! You should wear your top & medal with pride, you so deserve it. Personally i am so happy to have meet you there because I was feeling extremely overwhelmed & upset that i didn't see my son but seeing a friendly face helped me so much. So i would like to thank you for that! Dream big ;) & again huge well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

111623893"]
    DBB wrote: »
    Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    8358 |passinginterest|03:59:30|3.59.08
    |Naked Lepper|04:05:00|04:06:00
    2125|Treviso|03:29:59|3.26.31
    11484|Fraggle07|04:59:59|04:57:55
    12222|DBB|04:59:59|05:19:15
    |UNKNOWNABILITY|03:28:59|
    19432|kemcloughlin|05:59:59|
    11248|karlos80|04:10:00|04:15:30
    |pd79|05:10:00|05:15:00
    19938|doc76|04:59:59|05:05:17
    |py|03:59:59|04:28:48
    11277|Rega|04:15:00|4.01.51
    |Sunday Runner|04:20:00|
    |Fowler87|04:22:00|
    20290|Wombled|05:09:00|5:08:57
    7506|DeepBlue|03:49:59|3:48:17
    |Lombardo123|03:59:59|3.57.02
    18488|rizzee|04:39:59|04:13:58
    9705|Lambay Island|03:30:00|03:25:20
    5806|akenno|03:59:59|4:00:09
    |Frash|04:35:00|
    11990 |3boyz|04:35:00|04:35:33
    11675|saffron22|04:15:00|4.05.55
    332|mister paul|03:27:59|3:31:53
    |jackc101|04:15:00|
    |wpd|04:59:59|
    |Prospector1989|04:30:00|
    18223 |DolG|05:15:00|04:50:32
    |goldsalmon33|03:55:00|
    |DaaaaaaaaaaN|03:55:00|03:56:05
    20349 |Sorbet|04:40:00|04:47:18
    7222|Marathon19|03:58:58|03:59:22
    |Clareview|04:29:59|
    19839|greentea is just wrong|05:15:00|5.26.51
    |Laineyfrecks|03:49:59|03:42:47
    |Eabha19|04:30:00|4:29:06
    |Ais_Byrne7|04:59:59|
    18428 |Soulsun|05:00:00| 5:29:11
    |TillyDCM|04:59:59|
    11033|Clickhere|04:10:00|03:58:49
    |kyomi|03:59:59|03:57:13
    |ByrneDCMbrian|03:59:59|
    |limerick91|04:09:00|
    19124 |Bananaleaf|04:50:00|
    |Rojo|04:20:00| /

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's great to see the race reports rolling in already, keep them coming!

Personally I'm very proud of my race but the highlight of my day was most definitely McGrattan's. It was great to meet so many from this forum, and most especially the novices. Thanks again for the lovely gifts, and even more so thank you for all the kind words - it was really lovely to hear :)

Looking through strava and the times posted here shows experiences ranging from target-smashing performances to epic struggles, and everything in-between. Each and every one of you deserves that medal, no matter how it was achieved, and you should be so proud of yourselves. I'm blown away by the guts and determination of those who fought, clawed, dragged and willed themselves to the finish despite things going sideways many miles from home. The marathon is a monster - you faced it down and won. Well done everyone.

I'm now going to sit down with a cup of tea and catch up on these race reports.

"Enjoy" the recovery guys :)

Rega wrote: »
    DCM 2019

My training block went really well until the last week. I didn't miss any runs and ran everything nice and slowly.

However, last Saturday, on my last LSR, an easy 8 miles, I tweaked something in my left calf. I foam rolled and rested and hoped it would be OK but I was feeling down for the run in to yesterday.

I slept OK the night before the big day. I got up at 5.30, had my porridge, double checked my gear and left the house in Kilkenny at 6. I was parked up at 7.30, met my friend, bag dropped and made my way to wave 3.

My plan was to start a bit back in the wave and to take it very easy for the first while to see how my leg would react. I had been training for a sub 4 all along but I just wanted to get it finished at this stage. It would have been heartbreaking to put in a 20 week training block, only to pull out after a mile.

All went well for the first few miles. They were very slow for me but there was no reaction. I felt good. I picked up the pace a bit after Stoneybatter and reeled in the 4.20 pacers in the park. The pace was steady and smooth.

The support at Castleknock was phonemonal. I went through there with a huge smile on my face.

I caught up to the 4.10 pacers around Crumlin. I lost time here as there was a huge pack around them and I struggled a bit to get by.

I made the halfway point at 2:03. Feeling good. I had a slow mile at mile 16. I don't know why but it was 30 seconds slower than my steady pace.

I picked it up from here and was passing people the whole time in. Heartbreak Hill didn't bother me (one of the perks of living and training in a hilly area).

I was tipping along nicely when at the far side of the UCD flyover someone stepped across me and I checked my stride. My right leg started to cramp up when I did. Oh no. I pushed through it and it went away but a mile later it came back. I kept going.

The support for the last run in was phenomenal and will never be forgotten. I crossed the line and remembered the advice I was given to keep moving. I did. Slowly.

As I was moving I was overcome with emotion. I nearly burst out crying. My dad popped into my head. He died when I was 12. I'll be the same age next year as he was when he passed away. I don't know why I thought of that but I did.

Only then did I check my watch. 4:01:51. I know I said in my opening post on this thread that if I was just over the 4 hours I'd be gutted but I'm not. I gave it everything on the day. I'd nothing left. My conservative start was necessary to see how my leg would react.

I actually ran a negative split. My second half was 5 minutes faster than my first. Can't believe that.

I got my stuff and got changed. Sorry I couldn't make it to McGrattans. I had a coffee and went back home in the car.

My legs are sore now. I can't believe it's over. Its the toughest thing I've ever done and the most rewarding. The messages of congratulations I got afterwards from family and friends was lovely.

Thank you so much to the mentors here for your guidance and support. It would not have been possible without you. That's a fact. Thank you also to the rest of the posters here. We've become a real family (and support group) the last few months. Best wishes for the future with your running careers!

That's a great report and a cracking time, particularly given your calf worries. It was a smart decision to start cautiously in those circumstances.

It's funny the emotions that emerge on reaching the finish line. I was a blubbering mess getting my medal last year, and not too far off it this year either. I'm sure your dad would be very proud.

I'm also glad that you didn't sit down in the middle of the road 100m before the finish line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Dublin Marathon Race Report

Pre-Race
    There was so much good advice on Boards over the course of this plan and I learned a huge amount. This really came into play for marathon week, I was conscious of sensibly eating carbs, salty foods, not eating too much protein the day before, not drinking too late the evening before or drinking too much the morning of the marathon. I suffer quite badly from dehydration, so it was a worry for me, I picked up some Precision Hydration tablets at the Expo and I feel this was really worthwhile too, much higher concentration than zero tabs (I think they were recommended in a YouTube vid shared to the novices what's app group). I hadn't slept well Friday night, but slept pretty soundly Saturday and woke up feeling good around 5.25. 

I'd had a touch of man-flu on Thursday too but that seemed to pass quickly (probably maranoia too). Purple hydration tablet in the morning, one tab split over two 250ml bottles, the second one that I brought to the start and sipped until I finished it around 4 miles in. Bagels with peanut butter and some proteinella for breakfast, with a banana and a double Nespresso. Not eating too late and eating clean meant my stomach was ready and cleared out well before leaving the house, which was a great bonus, it's always a worry for me. Got the gear on, including hideous luminous yellow visor and black arm-warmers I'd picked up at the expo.

Left the house a bit later than planned at about 7.40. Handy enough getting into town, although it was a bit confusing if we'd be able to get to our planned parking just off Kildare St (work spaces). Made it anyway, parked up and started heading to the start area by about 8.10. Left my wide at the barriers and arrange to see her in the first few miles and again at Dolphin's Barn. Bag drop was hectic but nice and quick and slowly strolled up towards wave 2. Queued for the portaloos near the front of the wave and by the time I got in and out it was pretty much go time. Stripped off the hoody and trackies, and strolled along at the back of the wave towards the start. I was surprised at how relaxed I was and really enjoyed the atmosphere and chats with a few people along the way. 

The Race
    Before I knew it Wave 2 was on the move. I ate a little energy bar on the way to the start. I stayed well at the back, didn't waste any energy starting to run before the line, I knew most in this wave were going to be setting off quicker than me. I had my pace band and all the advice from here so I made sure to keep the start easy and controlled. 

Mile 1 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.22)
    By starting easy and at the back of the wave there was little or no congestion, didn't have to slow at all really. Pace felt ridiculously easy and I found it creeping under 9 now and again so I had to slow myself down a few times. I was determined to run the racing line as much as possible too so was tight to the inside of the bends as much as possible. Great buzz all along here.

Mile 2 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.16)
    With the big downhill in this stage I didn't mind speeding up a little more that the pace band. Had a text from the wife before the start to say she's be at Ellis Quay so was looking at for her at that point (yes I carried my phone, Decathlon marathon shorts were brilliant). More great support all along here. Spotted my wife just over the bridge and slowed for a quick peck. First little boost and feeling great. 

Mile 3 (Target: 9.29 Actual: 9.33)
    Hill was steeper than I expected and I was happy to slow things down and not get carried away. Didn't bother with the water station as I was carrying my bottle from the start. Some good support in parts, quite a few twists and turns too. Watch was already beeping a good bit before the markers. I think there was about 17 seconds difference between my pace band and the 3 mile marker. I think the whole way it was between about 12 and 20 seconds difference. 

Mile 4 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.19)
    Into the park now and quite a twisty section. Trying to follow the racing line still, pretty quiet support wise, quite peaceful really. Still feeling really good and controlled. Took my first gel just before the 4 mile mark. 

Mile 5 (Target: 9.22 Actual: 9.20)
    First of the straight miles up Chesterfield, some pockets of support but again pretty quiet. Had a chat about the lovely conditions and the joy of running in the park with a guy along here, he was running quicker than me but his target was 4.30, I've a feeling he might have had a tough finish. Despite starting in Wave 2 I didn't feel like I was going backwards at any stage, yes, there was probably more people passing me than I was passing but it wasn't enough to be disheartening or to make me want to speed up. 

Mile 6 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.18)
    Water station along here, so I took a bottle and dropped in a half an orange hydration tablet. A bit fiddly getting it out of the Ziploc, especially with gloves on, but got there in the end. A few more supporters and got a nice cheer and an offer of a bottle of water from one of my workmates. I was looking forward to getting to the cheering zone at Myo's now.

Mile 7 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.19)
    Lovely stretch through Castleknock with the live band on stage and then the huge crowds at Myo's. Loved acknowledging the crowds, got a bit emotional for the first of quite a few times! It's amazing seeing all the people out supporting, the different causes, the different motivations for runners, it's amazing to be a part of. Ate another little energy bar here.

Mile 8 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.55)
    The first of the downhill miles and a chance to open the legs a bit. Second gel at mile 8. Feeling really good, based on the mile markers I was a bit behind the pace band, even though I was on schedule by the watch so I didn't mind being a bit quicker than plan. Didn't force things at all, just let gravity do the work. Think there was another water station just before mile 9 but I skipped it as I'd carried my bottle from the previous one. 

Mile 9 (Target: 8.58 Actual: 8.55)
    Back into the park, little climb and then downhill again. The DJ at the to of the hill helpfully told us there was only 18 miles to go, had a bit of a laugh with a woman running alongside me at this. Used the downhills again, pace was creeping up a bit too much the odd time so had to check myself a few times. 

Mile 10 (Target: 9.05 Actual: 8.53) 
    Still going downhill, I think coming down towards the exit to the park was where I found myself speeding up a bit too much. Turning into Chapelizod was the first time I started to feel the effort a little bit and a couple of doubts crossed my mind. Great crowds in the village again which was a booster and spotted another work colleague and got a big cheer. 

Mile 11 (Target: 9.10 Actual: 9.17)
    This was a very quiet mile and came with the added bonus of the hill out of Chapelizod. I was really aware of the advice that this one could be a killer. I also remembered flying up it 5 years ago and the pain the last 5 miles brought, so I backed right off the pace and just chugged up the hill gently. Didn't panic to get back on pace, just gradually would it back up. 

Mile 12 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 9.01)
    More support again and a nice mainly flat or downhill through Kilmainham. Reminded me that I've still never gone to visit the Gaol and it's on my to do list. Gel at mile 12. Working a bit but not feeling too bad. I knew this was going to be tough, so I'm well prepared, remind myself to trust the training and the plan. Looking forward to seeing my wife again at Dolphin's Barn, keep smiling, acknowledging the crowds, high fiving a few kids etc. 

Mile 13 (Target: 9.08 Actual: 9.08)
    A lovely mile through Rialto and the South Circular. The old lady's singing Molly Malone in Rialto bringing a huge smile. Knew my wife was going to be at the petrol station at Dolphin's Barn, made sure there was nobody behind me a slowed for another reassuring peck! Set off again with a big smile on my face and feeling good. Everything was going pretty much to plan. 

Half Way (Target: 2.00.58 Actual: 2.00.51)
    Spot another work colleague who offers a bottle of water just before the half. The actual time here is taken from the Marathon app. I think it was pretty similar by my own count too. Quick check of the systems and all is still feeling ok. Remind myself to take this drag to Walkinstown handy enough and conserve as much as possible for the closing mile. 

Mile 14 (Target: 9.12 Actual: 9.15)
    Water station early in this mile I think. Take a bottle and drop in another half a hydration tablet and take a salt capsule here too. Had it on my pace band to eat another energy bar here too. I can't really remember if I did. I think I most likely did though. Very familiar with this stretch of road, it's the worst of the drag and I don't push it. 

Mile 15 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 9.05)
    Course flattens a bit through Drimnagh and pace picks up before easing into the drag to Walkinstown Roundabout. A few people starting to struggle now and have to be careful avoiding the walkers. I know there's a couple of friends at the roundabout so looking out for them as I get up to it. Sun is in there eyes so I see them before they see me and I think I frightened the life out of them. Quick high five and push on to the 15 mile mark and another gel.

Mile 16 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.58)
    These were the miles I was looking forward to. I'd run them in training a few weeks back, it's mostly flat and it's time to really start racing. Body knows it's working, there's no hiding that, a few aches here and there but nothing worrying. I'm really starting to make progress now and passing people. I remember hearing a few people mention the 4 hour pacers so I have a feeling they're not too far behind and might even be visible if I look back, but I'm not looking back. They won't catch me.     

Mile 17 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 8.59)
    Another water station early in the mile. I think I took a bottle and added half a hydration tab. I remember a few people taking gels from the gel station. I had a lot of stuff sloshing in my stomach and wasn't keen on taking on too much more. Support is mixed along here, a couple of good spots, it's a boring enough stretch. Spot another work colleague and give her a fright with my shout, another offer of sustenance, jellies this time, but I decline again and push on. Really looking forward to the turn towards Terenure and the downhill sections. 

Mile 18 (Target: 8.57 Actual: 8.54)
    Lovely support at Bushy park and Terenure village. Poor soul down getting his legs massaged at the park. Also a tub of Vaseline on the wall for anyone having chaffing issues, it looks well used! Lots of high fiving kids and hitting power up signs along here. Feeling pretty good and keeping things nice and steady. 

Mile 19 (Target: 8.56, Actual: 8.54)
    Just keep motoring through Rathgar and the leafy streets of Orwell. Think there's another water station at mile 19, took a bottle but only had a few sips and chucked it, felt like I couldn't stomach too much more and was confident I was pretty well hydrated. Took another gel. Nice steady paces. Body was complaining a bit but still felt confident there was nothing that was going to stop me. It was around here the wheels starting coming off five years ago, and I knew I was in better shape this time. 

Mile 20 (Target: 8.56 Actual: 8.54)
    Milltown mile. Still mostly downhill, spot the Mr Guappa sign and shout at the Boardsies! Feeling pretty good and keeping the pace nice and steady. More and more walkers and people struggling, I'm still making good progress. Some good crowds along here too. 

Mile 21 (Target: 9.02 Actual: 8.54)
    Don't remember much about this at all. Pace still steady, had it on the pace band to eat another bar here but wasn't feeling like it at all so didn't bother. With five miles to go I knew I was on track and I remember being confident I was going to make it, even though the effort levels were definitely increasing. 

Mile 22 (Target: 9.05 Actual: 9.03)
    Heartbreak hill. Not so heartbreaking. I think some of the drags before it were almost as bad. I was conscious of not using too much energy to push here, I knew it could be made back on the downhills if needed. Last gel around the hill, skipped the Lucozade and wanted water now but either missed it or couldn't get to it. People walking all over the place now and the biggest issue was not running into the back of people coming to a sudden standstill. Once I crested the hill I was just thinking keep it steady and bring it home. 

Mile 23 (Target: 8.48, Actual: 8.51)
    Big downhill off Hearbreak hill couple of little incidents. Just at the start a woman stopped in front of myself and another woman, we were close enough to all being taken down, but just about avoided disaster. Then as I started to pick it up I could feel my hamstrings really tightening and I though they might cramp so eased off the gas a bit. The time was still in the bag with a steady pace, so there was no point trying for a few more seconds and getting a cramp. Great crowds here again and sure there's only a parkrun to go. Discarded my lovely luminous headband/visor here. Just wanted to have the breeze on my head. Didn't have the room in my pockets, I'd already taken gloves off and pocketed them.

Mile 24 (Target: 8.51 Actual: 8.55)
    Over the UCD flyover and I was feeling it a bit. There was a wind in my face, the effort was high, the hamstrings were tight, but I knew with the turn onto Nutley lane it would be downhill so just told myself to keep working. Nutley was a bit of a relief, took water from the station, took a few sips and poured some on my legs and arms. I've run these last few miles plenty of times in the last 18 weeks, I know I'm going to make it but I know it's not going to be easy. 

Mile 25 (Target: 9.00 Actual: 8.56)
    Merrion Road, the RDS, crowds really picking up again. Just keep working. There's a few people in a really bad way now, being cared for by medics or random strangers at the road side. There's a poor woman on the ground with a few people trying to help here. I'm glad I'm not feeling like that. I know it's painful but the pain is what we trained for, I'd ready and I'm finishing this. Another work colleague just before the mile marker, a big cheer and a high five. It's one of the lads I've run with a fair bit, he's a near 3hr marathoner himself and I've been out cheering him the last few years, it's another little boost. 

Mile 26 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.59)
    God this mile seems to drag on forever. I'm maybe too wary of pushing on and coming a cropper so I just keep it steady, the time is in the bag, it's all about trying to soak in the cheers and just getting to the line. The support is fantastic. There's a mixture of super strong finishers and people just desperately trying to keep moving now. What an amazing feeling. Emotions are high, looking out to see if I can sport more faces in the crowd but don't see anyone. Wife and friends were there though just lost in the crowds.

Finish (Target: 3.58.54 Actual: 3.59.08)
    Target was the pace band time, real target was anything starting with 3! Finish line came into view a bit sooner than I expected which was a huge relief. I was wrecked, but so, so happy, the training had got me to exactly where I wanted to be. I was going to cross the line sub 4. It was quiet a journey. Two years ago I wouldn't have believed I'd have been able to run regularly, there was days I could barely put my foot on the ground with the pain. Finally finding out a cause and a treatment just over a year ago changed everything. The psoriatic arthritis is under control and I'm getting my fitness back. So grateful to be able to do this, thoughts turn to those who can't, to friends and family who've been lost, to loved ones and the emotions are so high. Forget stopping the watch, put your hands in the air and celebrate the moment. Soak it in.

Post Race
    Oh dear God my legs, have to come to a sudden stop to avoid running into other finishers. Then the shuffle starts, everything hurts, but it's so worth it. Making my way very gingerly to the medal queue and I think I hear the announcer calling out Lanieyfrecks name, so I start looking out for her. Sure enough before we make it to the t-shirts I spot her. Some good chats from there to collecting the goodie bags, part ways to collect the bags from the drop and bump into each other again after. Great to at least meet one person from the Novices thread! Surprise then at the exit chute as I hear my parents calling me from the barrier, they've come up from Wexford to surprise me. Then the parents in law when I get out, who've braved the overcrowded Luas to get in too, and then my lovely wife and our friends who've come in to support.  

The marathon is such a huge commitment and a worry to an extent for family. It means so much to have all their support, and in a way it drives home just what a small club the marathon club is and how few people will actually ever experience it. I'm wearing my finishers top and medal today as I write this, it's something I'll forever be proud of.

Thanks again to all the boardsies, the novices, the mentors and the other experienced boards heads who are always so full of useful information and wisdom. I think that's it for me and the marathon for a few years at least. I've already set out a plan for the next few months, starting with the boards base building plan, followed by the 10k to half plan with the Great Ireland Run 10k as my next target race. I'd love to get to sub 20 for 5k and close to 40 for 10k and take it from there. If I come back to the marathon it'll be with a view of taking it to sub 3.30 or maybe even 3.00 (a man can dream). 

Gas - our race experience was very similar except of course for a different goal time - even to the text/phone call to the other half early pb! Snap!! I'm also looking now to work on my speed and thinking trim 10 mile in Feb, Mullingar Half in March and maybe great Ireland 10k also - I got my on there in 2018 and haven't beaten it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

Can someone add me to the table please 5:51:42 thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Unknownability

|UNKNOWNABILITY|03:28:59|03:36.02
    19432|kemcloughlin|05:59:59|
    18428 |Soulsun|05:00:00|
    11033|Clickhere|04:10:00|
    |Rojo|04:20:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I've had a read of the reports but I want to read each one again before I respond. You're all marathoners and I hope you're basking in the glow of that today. Huge congratulations1

I know some of you had a rough day out there and I'm really sorry to read it. I hope it doesn't sound trite to say but I think you're amazing for toughing it out.

I also wanted to thank you all for your very generous gift. It really wasn't necessary. I was disappointed not to be able to train for DCM this year. Thanks so much for having me along on your journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

|UNKNOWNABILITY|03:28:59|03:36.02
    19432|kemcloughlin|05:59:59|5:51:42
    18428 |Soulsun|05:00:00|
    11033|Clickhere|04:10:00|
    |Rojo|04:20:00|

py wrote: »

What's next
    • Rest. I might get some really light cycling done over the next few weeks to get the blood circulating in the legs a bit more.
    • I've been watching my diet a good bit for the past 12 weeks after a bit of a panic after almost reaching 105Kg early in the training plan. I was 95Kg at the start of week 18. I've definitely got more changes that I can make to lower the body mass, in a healthy way though. This week will be lax though, still ensuring I get protein consumed to help the body recover.
    • Run the Line is in a few weeks but I need to see how the body is. If I'm still in pain or my hip flexor is not close to 100% then I'll skip it.
    • I need to start doing S&C and mobility work as soon as my body has recovered. My aerobic system (recent lab based VO2 result proved that) is good but my durability is what let me down yesterday.
    • Next year's plans start early with Donadea 50k in February and then Comrades in June. I might get another marathon/ultra in between those to prep my legs for June. Pending how that goes I think I'd like to do another DCM training cycle so I may just pick up an entry this month to ensure that is a possibility.
    • I'm a little unsure on my training paces moving forward so if someone has guidance that would be great.

COMRADES! Please do think about starting a training log. You'll get loads of advice from some very experienced Boardsies.

• Advertisement

eabha19 wrote: »
    Gas - our race experience was very similar except of course for a different goal time - even to the text/phone call to the other half early pb! Snap!! I'm also looking now to work on my speed and thinking trim 10 mile in Feb, Mullingar Half in March and maybe great Ireland 10k also - I got my on there in 2018 and haven't beaten it since.

I'm really looking forward to watching you all progress over the coming months. The marathon training will stand to you all big time and ye will have great fun knocking out PB's left, right and centre!

Lots of people look to the Jingle Bells 5k at the start of December as a "season-opener" and then start into a plan after that. Obviously a similar race or even parkrun in your area at that time will work too. This type of thing will all be covered in the grads thread once it kicks off in a few weeks time. For now, concentrate on the recovery. I took all of November handy last year (34 miles in total all month) and I'm convinced that enabled me to kick on in 2019.

Also, I know many of you already have a log over in the Training Logs forum, and it's something I'd urge everyone to consider. I started mine this time last year and found it very useful as a place to get advice and encouragement. My log is here if anyone is interested in what I did following DCM last year: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057925566/1

Edit: haha, snap Huzzah! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I did not edit this so apologies in advance if it’s a doozy to read!

To be honest I wasn’t even going to write a report because I’m trying really hard not to be disappointed today that I didn’t meet my target because of something completely unrelated to running or training or preparation. Marathons are a funny beast... so many variables! And it was missed by 5 minutes... to a non runner that would be crazy thing to be upset by, right?!

It was just one of those things that happens and if I didn’t laugh about it I could cry. I couldn’t have been more ready for that marathon and that’s something I’m proud of. I trained well and was so consistent and dedicated. Around mile 5 my chance of reaching my goal was lost and I didn’t want to ruin the rest of the day trying to catch up and blow up. I decided I wasn’t going to dwell on what could have been and to just try to enjoy myself (as much as you can enjoy running for 5 hours that is!) I chose to be grateful for being able to run at all and just get on with it.

I took it fairly handy then, chatted to random runners around me, high fived the kids, took a gigantic mars bar thrown to me by a steward (?) driving by which I shared amongst 5 runners around me and all those other nice things you can do to make yourself feel better about not getting what you worked so hard for.

The middle of the race was the toughest mentally. I wanted to go home to be honest. But I hadn’t a clue where the hell I was or what mile I was on so just kept putting one foot in front of the other. The crowd support was fantastic I do remember that and without them I think I would have called it a day.

Around Orwell Rd I saw some familiar faces and knew from there to the home stretch would be the easiest. Something suddenly clicked (seriously) and I didn’t have to fake the smile anymore, I was truly enjoying the experience now.

I saw ReeReeG and Huzzah! at Milltown and shouted to them. I ran up the hill by Wilde and Green although felt a little self conscious since most around me were walking at that stage. I saw a good friend and her son at the turn onto clonskeagh rd and got a big hug. I nearly cried tears of joy. This part of the course I was well familiar with and ran strong. Got up my old friend heartbreak hill and down fosters. Turned onto nutley and down merrion rd...

One of my best friends was there and she was so encouraging I’ll never forget her words and kindness. Another friend was by the US embassy (I’m from the US originally) with her kids and homemade signs... I had my best running at this stage and if anything I’m happy I finished that race strong and healthy and truly chuffed.

I nearly cried when the nice lady put the medal around my neck and I had some really nice chats with finishers around me as we made our way to the bag drop. I FaceTimed my husband and 3 kids and they were so proud of me that I actually cried. I wish I’d made it under 5 hours but that’s for next time.

Was nice to meet some of you at McG’s and thank the mentors. I met my friends for dinner (we all missed our goals by about 5 minutes ranging from 3:20 to 5:05 so that was “funny”) and collapsed into bed at 8 :)

Without you my internet running pals and my running mates from my real world I wouldn’t have gotten this far so thank you.

Waiting impatiently for registration for next year to open, I’ll be back for another try.

Edited to add—saw the same two novices both before and after the race don’t know your boards names only your real ones anyway it was nice to meet you in person too as well as those at the pub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

Happily sitting in powerscourt hotel sipping on prosecco ! My race report is short! Miles 1-10 loved it pace was good, from then on knees really hurt, as per usual, I ran with my sister, and she struggled a bit too. I found pack of paracetamol on road and I'm not ashamed to say I took two !! But throughout , despite the pain, I knew I could do it. I ran last 6 miles for different people , and just felt grateful through out . I grew up watching my Dad running marathon, and now my kids have seen me do it. I ran walked last few miles . Time was never a priority for me, finishing strong and in one piece was I never wanted my kids to see me dragged across finish line, and I did finish strong . I soaked it all up, because dont think I could do it again !!

Rega wrote: »
    DCM 2019

My training block went really well until the last week. I didn't miss any runs and ran everything nice and slowly.

However, last Saturday, on my last LSR, an easy 8 miles, I tweaked something in my left calf. I foam rolled and rested and hoped it would be OK but I was feeling down for the run in to yesterday.

I slept OK the night before the big day. I got up at 5.30, had my porridge, double checked my gear and left the house in Kilkenny at 6. I was parked up at 7.30, met my friend, bag dropped and made my way to wave 3.

My plan was to start a bit back in the wave and to take it very easy for the first while to see how my leg would react. I had been training for a sub 4 all along but I just wanted to get it finished at this stage. It would have been heartbreaking to put in a 20 week training block, only to pull out after a mile.

All went well for the first few miles. They were very slow for me but there was no reaction. I felt good. I picked up the pace a bit after Stoneybatter and reeled in the 4.20 pacers in the park. The pace was steady and smooth.

The support at Castleknock was phonemonal. I went through there with a huge smile on my face.

I caught up to the 4.10 pacers around Crumlin. I lost time here as there was a huge pack around them and I struggled a bit to get by.

I made the halfway point at 2:03. Feeling good. I had a slow mile at mile 16. I don't know why but it was 30 seconds slower than my steady pace.

I picked it up from here and was passing people the whole time in. Heartbreak Hill didn't bother me (one of the perks of living and training in a hilly area).

I was tipping along nicely when at the far side of the UCD flyover someone stepped across me and I checked my stride. My right leg started to cramp up when I did. Oh no. I pushed through it and it went away but a mile later it came back. I kept going.

The support for the last run in was phenomenal and will never be forgotten. I crossed the line and remembered the advice I was given to keep moving. I did. Slowly.

As I was moving I was overcome with emotion. I nearly burst out crying. My dad popped into my head. He died when I was 12. I'll be the same age next year as he was when he passed away. I don't know why I thought of that but I did.

Only then did I check my watch. 4:01:51. I know I said in my opening post on this thread that if I was just over the 4 hours I'd be gutted but I'm not. I gave it everything on the day. I'd nothing left. My conservative start was necessary to see how my leg would react.

I actually ran a negative split. My second half was 5 minutes faster than my first. Can't believe that.

I got my stuff and got changed. Sorry I couldn't make it to McGrattans. I had a coffee and went back home in the car.

My legs are sore now. I can't believe it's over. Its the toughest thing I've ever done and the most rewarding. The messages of congratulations I got afterwards from family and friends was lovely.

Thank you so much to the mentors here for your guidance and support. It would not have been possible without you. That's a fact. Thank you also to the rest of the posters here. We've become a real family (and support group) the last few months. Best wishes for the future with your running careers!

Huge congratulations to you. That really is a cracking run. You really managed your injury well and I'm delighted that you'd such a fun time. Well done.

eabha19 wrote: »
    I'm going to attempt the first race report as I am still on a total race high so here goes:

DCM 2019
    Pre-race:
    After a terrible night's sleep on Friday night I actually managed to get a good 6 hours on Saturday night and woke up just before 5 a.m. Had my usual pre-race breakfast of tea, egg and toast and threw in a lemsip and a sudafed as I had developed a cold over the end of the week - thankfully it wasn't a heavy cold but had a bit of a cough and the sniffles. My clubmates had arranged to get a private bus in at 7 a.m. so we all met at 6:50 - I was wearing my running gear underneath my son's old hoodie and old trackie bottoms that were half way up my legs!! We got into town just after 7:30 and hung around the Davenport out of the cold for a good while queuing for toilets and drinking a 4 euro cuppa tea (cheek lads!!). Needn't have queued there after all - there were loads of porta loos at the start line (sure I had another visit there anyway - truly it would be rude not to!!) At about 8:45 we headed to the bag drop which was so well organised - huge kudos to those volunteers who were in from 6:30 a.m. to look after us all. We then headed to wave 4 start where there was a bit of waiting around so I was really glad to have my warm disposable clothes. I was still with 3 of my clubmates who were hoping to get in around the same time as me. It really was great to start together and have people to share the excitement with. I was hoping to position myself near the 4:30 pacer balloons but there were just too many people and trying to squeeze four of us through to the front seemed a bit cheeky at that stage. So I just decided to keep my own pace - I had stuck with km pacing even though my laps were in miles as I'm more used to the kms. We also lost one of our pack even before the start - and so we were three! As I was waiting around I was hoping not for any particular time but for a run to remember and a run to enjoy - any worries about time completely fell away and I felt so excited to give it my all.

Mile 1 - 10:43 mins At 9:45 a.m. with a roar of the crowd we were off but it was a slooooow start. We didn't bother weaving too much except around the walkers (one of the disadvantages of wave 4 is that some people are walking from mile 1). I was prepared for that and it didn't frustrate me - at least there was no risk of taking off too fast in that first mile.
    Mile 2 - 10:04 mins A little faster than pace here as we got some space and a bit of downhill running down to the quays.
    Mile 3 - 10:13 mins I consciously slowed down a little here despite feeling like I could easily have stuck with 6 min/km pace. We passed the first water station but I still had my own 250 ml bottle so I stuck with that sipping throughout.
    Mile 4 - 9:57 mins This was again faster than planned and when I saw it ping on my watch I was thinking oh oh be careful! I found myself dropping back from my two running mates every now and then to try to control my pace but we seemed to find each other again every time. There was a big gang of girls from Esker who ran near us from the park through to Ballyfermot and they were singing and cheering loads - it was a great cheer to be beside them but I was also wondering why they were using their breath for singing and shouting rather than saving it for the race ahead!
    Mile 5 10:08 mins Chesterfield Avenue was a beautiful stretch - the sun was glorious and even though it was quiet, support-wise, it was so serene and filled with the colour of thousands of running tops, I soaked it in and felt so lucky to be fit and well enough to run my town on such a beautiful day. I grabbed a water at the next water station and dropped half a tab in it without trouble (I was a bit worried whether I'd manage that during the race but it was grand!) I also took my first gel at 5 miles as planned.
    Mile 6 10:17 mins First mile that was spot on perfect pace. During this mile I had an emotional moment. A woman running behind me just roared out in excitement "Mam" when she saw her mam in the park and ran at her to give her a huge hug. It stuck with me throughout the race in a bittersweet way - my mam died at age 58 11 years ago and I missed her so much in that minute - no one in life supports you as much as your mammy.
    Mile 7 - 10:21 mins At the start of this mile I realised that I had given my hubby the wrong time to meet me at Walkinstown so I took out my phone and rang him along the route. It took me ages foostering around with the phone in the glare of the sun but eventually managed it - he must have gotten a fright thinking I was after injuring myself but I literally just said "all good, I'll be in Walkinstown an hour later than I said. Love you bye!" Straight after this we hit Castleknock and the wonderful crowds. I saw two friends just before the hill and had a nice boost. My two club mates ran ahead of me for the hill but even though it felt fairly easy at that stage I had my mentors in my head saying easy up them hills so I pulled back and then I caught up with the guys again at the downhill. Actually pacing to the course was such seemingly obvious but brilliant advice. Normally I'd be getting a bit panicky seeing my time slip to 6:35 min/km during a hill but I was instead purposely feeling yep slow it down and then was able to take advantage of the downhills and go faster than pace.
    Mile 8 - 10:03 mins There was a couple of nice downhills here so I didn't worry about being too fast. Also couldn't believe we were at 8 miles already, I knew we'd a long way to go but it felt like it was flying by!
    Mile 9 - 10:07 mins Another serene stretch in the park and fairly flat, if not downhill, and another mile that clocked by with ease. Still running with my runmates and enjoying their company.
    Mile 10 - 10:24 mins One of my runmates needed the loo here and the other met his family so we slowed down a little and by some marathon miracle we met up with our fourth member who is the guy I have run with most regularly for the last few years (they call him my 'run husband' at the club!). Was thrilled to catch up with him and it gave us all a boost. This mile ended with the hill out of Chapelizod up to Ballyfermot - again I fell back from the gang during the hill (to me that was the steepest hill in the race although Roebuck was the toughest just by virtue of how tired the legs were by then). Caught them again at the top - in fairness they took it handy too. Took my 10 mile gel.
    Mile 11- 10:30 mins I don't think it was hilly here so the drop in pace was probably just from not watching the watch too much. Definitely was still feeling good so if I was trying to work out where I could have improved my time, there were a couple of miles like this between 10 miles and 15 where I was just enjoying it and not focusing on time.
    Mile 12 - 10:20 mins
    Mile 13 - 10: 19 mins
    The next two miles into Crumlin are kind of blurry to me - it felt a bit hilly and I was starting to get excited about meeting my hubby, daughter, sister and niece at Walkinstown. The crowds were great here - some gorgeous wee granny was at the side of the road singing Fields of Athenry and I loved her for it!!
    Mile 14 - 10:24 mins The lads with us stopped for a wee so me and my other running mate slowed down a little so that they could catch up with us - as it turned out only one caught up with us and I didn't see my 'run husband' for the rest of the race. We hit the halfway mark bang on 2:15 and I was delighted to see that despite varying times I was bang on plan and still feeling great. I started getting worried about missing my family so I was peeling my eyes out for them knowing I was getting near Walkinstown. I also kept doubting myself and thinking I'd missed the roundabout and getting panicky at the thoughts of not seeing them.
    Mile 15 - 10:21 I cannot overestimate the boost I got at the Walkinstown roundabout to see my little girl and her princess castle poster (it didn't even say my name just her name and I love you written all over it!!). My hubby got a pic of me running over to her with my arms open and it's my favourite of all my marathon pictures. Everyone got a quick kiss, my sister handed me some jelly babies (didn't touch them - who has the energy for chewing when you're running 26.5 miles!!) and I was on my way feeling powered up. Took my next gel at the end of this mile and I heard Mr G saying If you're feeling strong after Walkinstown roundabout pick it up so I thought now is the time to really run this town. I didn't even say goodbye to my running mates I just got selfish and thought from here on in, it's up to me.
    Mile 16 - 10:00 mins
    Mile 17 - 10:00 mins
    Mile 18 - 10:01 mins
    Mile 19 - 10:03 mins
    Mile 20 - 10 mins
    Mile 21 - 10:09 mins
    These miles I was in the zone and I felt awesome. I high fived a few kids, high fived a guy in a wheel chair and told him and his mates how great they were and just generally loved it!
    Mile 22 - 10:27 mins I cheered at Clonskeagh last year so I knew this was the toughest mile in the marathon with that drag followed by Heartbreak Hill. So many people walking so my main aim was just keep running and when this is done you're over the worst. I ran up Roebuck Hill sooooo slowly but I ran it, determined not to walk, and when I got to the top I was thinking you've got this now.
    Mile 23 - 10:07 mins
    Mile 24 - 9:56 mins
    Back on track after Clonskeagh and around here I met a woman in her 50s who I had seen loads along the way and she was walking. She had her name on her top so I ran by saying come on Audrey, we've got this, just another park run. Well she passed me out shortly after and we played cat and mouse for the rest of the way with the odd chat too until she totally zoomed ahead of me in mile 25!! You're welcome Audrey!!
    Mile 25 - 10:06 min Suddenly time stood still. I kept to pace but it was now taking a lot more out of me. I was pushing hard at this stage, trying to keep that strong finish but thinking this ain't so much fun anymore!!
    Mile 26 - 10:15 mins If I thought time had stood still in mile 25 it started going backways in mile 26 - how fricking long can one mile be?!! The crowds in town didn't even boost me I was just thinking where is the end, where is the end, am i going to collapse before the end, my breathing was so laboured I sounded like Monica Selles grunting. I was just thanking Jesus that I hadn't felt like this at mile 18 coz I would not have been able to keep up that effort for much longer.
    26.4 miles - 3:54 mins (average pace 9:46 mins/mi) Obviously I managed just about to take up my pace for the last stretch but oh my God the finish line just could not get to me quick enough. Also at 26.2 miles I felt like saying get that finish line and bring it to me now I've done my marathon!! I didn't feel euphoric at the finish line I felt dizzy and so relieved and as soon as I stopped running my legs were ready to collapse!

Post race:
    I hobbled a long lonely journey from the finish line to the medal line to the t-shirt line (had a little cry here but it was short lived - damn it I was too tired to feel emotional!!) to the goody bag line. Then I rang my hubby and he shouted 4:29:06 in excitement which was the first news I had of my time. I was thrilled - not so much about my time as I was about the whole thing. Other than that last two miles I felt so good and strong during the race and everything I had learned here kicked in and it fricking worked!! I started this plan because I had niggles and was worried I wouldn't make the starting line if I continued with my club plan and running with my club mates who I was struggling to keep up with on long runs. I found a whole new gear in my running and it was a slooow gear - it made the heavy mileage so much more doable even though I'll admit sometimes I was morto looking at my strava feed at my slowest every recorded 5ks!! I was worried about being able to change gear for the marathon but those marathon paced runs on the boards plan really stood to me. When I picked it up after mile 15 I was thinking of how many times I had run marathon paced runs on tired legs from all the mileage we were doing and I knew I could do it again. By the time I got to McGrattans, which took me forever my legs, my lower back and my butt were in agony and I was completely hoarse (seriously I can actually talk despite the fact that the only times I have met the mentors my voice has been gone!!). It was lovely to meet up with those who were there and to thank Mr Guappa, Ree Ree G and Huzzah in person. I now truly believe that if I hadn't found this group it would have been a totally different race for me if I would even have made it to the start line. I am still amazed at the time and effort you guys put in to responding to all our many questions, check our strava feeds, give us target times and strategies - on top of jobs, families and running - all for free!!

Sorry for this turning into a novel - I think I've written this for me to have to remember as much as I can of what was one of the best days of my life. Thank you guys - Eabha19 over and out!

AMAZING!!! Delighted for you. You really took a leap of faith to train solo and I'm so glad you'd such a cracking run. You paced it to perfection. Well done, you!

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    *Sorry for the essay*

I finished my first marathon yesterday in a time of 5:16:10. The time wasn't what I had hoped for and wasn't what I had trained for, but that doesn't bother me. I do, however, sit here this morning with mixed feelings
    • I feel like I have achieved something, although this has yet to sink in I think.
    • I feel grateful that I was able to be part of the day.
    • I feel very proud of the grit and determination I showed yesterday because from mile 14 it was NOT easy for me.
    • But I'm going to be very honest and say that I also feel resentful of how yesterday went for me, because I really don't feel that I deserved to have the day I had.

Here is my race report for DCM 2019. My heart and soul poured out on a page. Apologies in advance for its length.

The final week of the taper was so difficult for me mentally. I was panicking a lot and not sleeping well. I was feeling pain in all different parts of my legs.
    Pain where there shouldn't have been pain. There was never pain before.
    Why is it here now? Is it in my head? It must be in my head. However, the final 2 days before DCM a calm descended on me. I was ready. The night before, I got a great sleep.

The morning of the race I was feeling okay. Had breakfast, although it was tough to get it into me. Porridge and coffee, then a banana and a half before starting the race. A lot of hanging around at the beginning but I'd loads of layers on so I was warm enough. A couple of selfies with Fraggle and met up with DBB and Kemcloughlin. We were ready to #runthistown. :D:D

The rough plan was to get to half way in 2.5hrs and avail of the natural negative split that is the Dublin course :rolleyes:

miles 1 - 7 (11:31, 11:28, 11:52, 11:37, 11:55, 11:40, 11:40)
    I felt so excited as we passed under the start line. I was concentrating really hard on keeping the pace 11:30min/m or more here because I had remembered the advice given to me so many times: "Don't start off too fast". I wasn't going to do that - I wasn't going to be the casualty at mile 20 who tore off at the start and was like the walking dead later on. Kept checking the pace. All good. Kept checking in with how I was feeling. All good. I was also concentrating hard on remembering to fuel every 3miles - I had learned from Longwood a few weeks ago how the excitement can result in you forgetting to take a gel at the right time. All gels taken at exactly the right time. Coming off the North Circular road and into the park was lovely. I had some supporters planning to be at mile 5 so looking out for them took my mind of the Chesterfield Ave drag. Spotted them and gave them a huge wave :) Felt the smallest amount of discomfort in my glutes here. The smallest amount. More supporters were lining the Castleknock gate and they got some great photos of me. Castleknock was incredible. I felt like a superstar!

miles 8 - 12 (11:02, 11:00, 10:57, 11:37, 11:16)
    Miles 8 and 9 through the park flew by. My watch was beeping for 9miles before the 9 mile marker was in sight :eek: But again, I had remembered not to worry - we were going to be running more than the 26.2 today and the mile markers aren't positioned exactly accurate to the mile. Decided to gently up the pace as we were past the 7mile mark. Felt good. In all the reading I did about the course, and after all the warnings I received about Roebuck Hill - St Laurence Road never once got an honourable mention. A hill which - in my view - is far far worse than Roebuck. Maybe because it is so early in the race? It doesn't help that it is followed by Sarsfield Rd which felt like a bit of a drag to me. Mental note to self: Maybe the flat canal wasn't the best place to be doing most of my LSRs.
    Heading down the Inchicore Rd I was approaching unknown terriroty. In my head, miles 12 to 20 were going to be somewhat of a no-man's land until I reached Clonskeagh, so I planned to just zone in, focus and get there. Somewhere on that South Circular Rd I felt a sensation around my knee that I had never felt, in all my training. Not a pain. Discomfort. I checked my watch.
    Pace was fine. I was feeling fine. It can't be that. I'll ease up a little bit anyway, just in case. I was later to learn that this was most likely posture related. More on this in a while.

miles 13 - 20 (11:43, 12:29, 12:12, 12:05, 12:22, 12:36, 13:05, 12:46)
    This block was excruciating. The discomfort in my knee area had simultaneously traveled down to my calf and up to my quad and hip flexor. What the HELL is going on? I'm getting really annoyed now and even a bit upset. It wasn't supposed to be like this. It isn't fair. I trained so hard for Dublin 2019. I really did. I gave it my life for 5months. I didn't just follow the training plan religiously but I cut out alcohol and improved my nutrition, I upped my hydration and slept more. I took up Yoga. I stretched and foam rolled. I got regular sports massages every 6-8 weeks. I gave it 5months of my life and more and it betrays me in the most spectacular fashion. And at MILE 12! I know they say to expect the unexpected, but I never expected this. I was so confident that I wouldn't blow up - I was almost smug about it. It wasn't pace related. I kept saying this to myself over and over. Sort of like assuring myself that this wasn't my fault. I was so mad, but there was no time to be mad. This marathon was giving me shít and it needed to be put back in its box! But how? I passed through half way in 2:31 but I knew already that a negative split was not on the cards for me. Plan A was to be sub 5 - I knew that was off the table. Plan B was to enjoy the day - I knew this was most likely not going to happen either. So, it became simply about survival. I wasn't experienced enough to know if I should have stopped for a stretch or not at this point. It was so early on in my race that I knew if I stopped and it got worse, I was done for. A DNF? I've never DNF'd. I'm not starting today. What now? A and B goals are gone. I didn't have a C goal in mind. What can I hope for at this stage? To not stop running and finish. Strong if I can. So that was what I did. I didn't stop. I pulled back the pace. It genuinely took spades of grit and dogged determination. I knew I was strong-willed, but I even amazed myself yesterday. I saw ReeReeG and Huzzah! at Milltown and ladies - if I thought you'd let me, I would have collapsed at yer feet, cried my eyes out and quit. And ... I'm crying now as I type this. The first emotional release since crossing the finish line yesterday :(

miles 21 - 23 (12:43, 13:17, 13:25)
    One day during the training block, all those weeks ago, I headed out to Roebuck Hill. I ran it and remember thinking that it was "easy". I thought it might be slightly different though, after 20miles. It wasn't. It was still relatively easy. Foster Ave - the part of the course I had visualised since back at mile 1 - the lovely downhill I had been looking forward to - was agony on my leg. This was bizzare! I had reached Foster Ave and I was asking for more hills :eek: I was holding a banana and a bottle of water at this stage and I had the life squeezed out of both as I battled through the pain. Every so often I could feel the leg wanting to give way. If I changed my running pattern at all I would surely hit the ground. I recall telling myself - as I came up the UCD flyover - "You're probably in big trouble when you stop after the finish line". I was going to be well over the 5hr mark. I wasn't disappointed with myself. There was nothing more I could have asked of my body that day. It didn't let me down. The problem was that in all my preparation to keep the pace right and the nutrition appropriate, I never once checked my posture. My inexperience got the better of me.

miles 24 & 25 (12:12, 12:15)
    As I passed St Vincent's Hospital I thought that if I walked in there and got them to chop my leg off, It'd have been less painful. It was awful. Resentment rose in me again. I didn't deserve this. It wasn't fair. I was now running in a sea of walkers. I felt a bit pathetic. I was trying my hardest, struggling so much, yet I was just about keeping pace with walkers. I quickened as much as I could. I met a friend at Merrion Square who was thrilled to catch me (I think she thought she had missed me as I was quite behind my schedule) I poured my heart out to her as I ran up Embassy Road and she ran alongside me on the path. She remarked that she couldn't keep up with me and here I was heading into mile 26, running and talking! She told me to go for it and I did. Feck the pain. One mile left. Lets go. Get your strong finish at least.

mile 26.2 (11:34 for mile 26)
    I passed so many people out on that last mile. I went for it. I had actually made it home, having spent over half the time in agony. So many would have had similar setbacks. Not all would finish. I am finishing. Of that I can be proud. The blue carpet took forever to appear, but when it did I bolted for the finish. I must have looked amazing coming in. Bittersweet. I didn't feel amazing. I felt robbed. I can't keep saying it wasn't my fault. Ultimately, it was. I was being sensible and I was focused and paying attention, but I took my eye off the ball with the posture and I paid for it. When I crossed the finish line and I stopped, I was able to keep myself upright. Success. It was a very slow and painful walk to meet my other half at Nassau St and by the time I got there, I just didn't have the strength to head back to McGrattans. There was also the matter of a very lonely doggy to head back home to :)

One thing though, when I think back to how awfully wrong it went for me, a 5:16 finish is not too shabby at all. It's less than 20mins shy of my sub 5hr target. And, as we agreed in the weeks before DCM, what's 20mins in the scheme of things when you're talking about a marathon? I have no doubt that had it not been for the sensible advice I was plied with from Mr Guappa, ReeReeG and Huzzah! I wouldn't have kicked into survival mode as quick. Take a bow, mentors. You are amazing!

Like I said previously, later that evening, in the pub, (I went to the pub for a pint :eek: ) doing the post mortem with my club mates, one of the coaches remarked that it sounded like a posture issue. He believes that it sounds like I could have been leaning forward, thus stacking and putting too much weight on the legs and that it took its toll by mile 12. I would be inclined to agree with this. On my training runs, I would check in with my posture every so often, and when I did, it always needed correcting. The fact that I never checked once during DCM says it all really.

I'm currently sitting in bed, drinking coffee and looking at my finishers top hanging up on the wardrobe handle. I did #runthistown and I am a proud finisher, but Dublin and I now have unfinished business :cool:

As someone once said: "I'll be back"

I shed a tear or two reading your report. I'm so sorry you didn't have the run you deserved. The marathon really is a cruel mistress. I really do think you were very unlucky. I really wanted you to have an enjoyable run. I can't get over how brave you were. Even at Milltown, you said you were in pain but you said it with a MASSIVE smile. We'd no idea you were finding it as tough as you were. You really are so strong to have not quit given the pain you were in. Honestly, a huge congratulations to you for getting through it. I hope you're very, very proud of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Hi guys,

Well done all for yesterday - hope you are all resting up and eating your celebratory meals :)

It was a bittersweet day for me.

With a target of sub 5 hrs,I decided to start off with the five hour pacers. I met Dolores there (Hi Dolores!) so that was lovely. The pacers were great fun and helped keep a firm and steady pace for the first few miles. I took the hills as an opportunity to push out in front of them, and reeled them back in on the uphills. I kept the five hour pacers in sight for all the race and I was really happy with my pacing throughout. The atmosphere was amazing and the support from both runners and supporters was unbelievable.

But alas, this is where the bittersweetness comes in. Passing 22 miles now and starting to feel a bit tired, to be expected of course. I pushed through it, almost there, keeping steady. Getting to the RDS and the 25 mile marker seemed to take forever but alas I get there and started to push for home. I could see the line, I waved at my friends at the 700m to go sign, I was on target to finish sub 5, let’s do it Aisling, let’s give it socks - and that’s all I can remember. Next thing I know, I’m waking up in a medical room, attached to a drip. I honestly don’t have a clue what happened - how did I get here? What happened? Did I finish the race?

It took me a while to come back to my senses. The medic explained that they found me at the finish line and that I’d passed out due to dehydration. I was upset about this,I had really worked hard on my hydration during the few days previous, lots of water, zero tablets, salty pretzels, tuc crackers...and stopped at every water stop during the race. I was being mindful not to drink too much water during the race as it upsets my stomach so I was sipping my bottles till about half way before throwing away, whereas cups I was drinking the whole lot. For a while I couldn’t string two words together, but eventually I managed to ask ‘did I finish the race?’ They believed I did. I started crying because I simply couldn’t remember. I then looked at my garmin which tallied at 27.3 miles. This wasn’t enough, I really needed to see the finish chip time register to confirm.

Obviously the more I came back to life, the more upset and worried I got. This wasn’t what was supposed to happen? I’m meant to be out with my friends, taking photos, showing off our medals, heading for pints! The medics then came in with my medal. I didn’t want to take it without knowing if I had actually finished. With a few encouraging words from the medic crew, and Ronan who had now come to the rescue, I reluctantly let them place the medal over my head and after another half hour or so of monitoring I was allowed to go.

Turns out, I didn’t finish. I must have fallen somewhere between the 600m mark and the line, and I guess that’ll haunt me forever. Needless to say, I’m gutted, I’ve been crying a lot, especially because I felt like I ran a really good, paced race and had done everything in my power to prepare myself for the day. I have tucked my medal away in a drawer and that’s where it will stay until I feel like I’ve earned it. I know I technically ran the distance of a marathon but without that finishing chip time it just feels like I don’t deserve it.

I’m going to take a wee breather from this forum just so I can re-gather, but I want to take this opportunity to thank our amazing mentors. Your guidance and support has been invaluable to me and I know I would not have reached the start line without you. I also want to thank my fellow novices, we’ve made quite a little support group, haven’t we? A huge well done on your amazing achievement yesterday….I’m proud of every single one of you.

1 - 11.31
    2 - 11.13
    3 - 11.22
    4 - 10.52
    5 - 11.08
    6 - 11.19
    7 - 11.34
    8 - 10.52
    9 - 11.08
    10 - 11.00
    11 - 11.25
    12 - 11.34
    13 - 11.28
    14 - 11.40
    15 - 11.43
    16 - 11.52
    17 - 11.25
    18 - 11.08
    19 - 11.00
    20 - 11.02
    21 - 10.57
    22 - 11.43
    23 - 11.13
    24 - 11.08
    25 - 10.44
    26 - 10.03
    27 - 5.48 ( this doesn’t look right so I’m assuming this is where the issue happened, I couldn’t have been running that fast, it certainly didn’t feel like it)

Final distance: 27.31
    Time: 4:58:05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

oh Bananaleaf that is a moving report, hold your head up high girl you really had tough mental gritt to keep going that says a lot this will stand to you and well done and I hope you feel better about it in the coming days and wear that finishers top with pride :) I say you might be back next year yea!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

So sorry to hear that. The main thing is you are ok. What happened sounds like it was out of your control. Keep in mind if that had not happened you would have beaten your goal. Effectively you achieved what you set out to even if the record doesn't reflect this. You should be proud.
    Ais_Byrne7 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Well done all for yesterday - hope you are all resting up and eating your celebratory meals :)

With a target of sub 5 hrs,I decided to start off with the five hour pacers. I met Dolores there (Hi Dolores!) so that was lovely. The pacers were great fun and helped keep a firm and steady pace for the first few miles. I took the hills as an opportunity to push out in front of them, and reeled them back in on the uphills. I kept the five hour pacers in sight for all the race and I was really happy with my pacing throughout. The atmosphere was amazing and the support from both runners and supporters was unbelievable.

But alas, this is where the bittersweetness comes in. Passing 22 miles now and starting to feel a bit tired, to be expected of course. I pushed through it, almost there, keeping steady. Getting to the RDS and the 25 mile marker seemed to take forever but alas I get there and started to push for home. I could see the line, I waved at my friends at the 700m to go sign, I was on target to finish sub 5, let’s do it Aisling, let’s give it socks - and that’s all I can remember. Next thing I know, I’m waking up in a medical room, attached to a drip. I honestly don’t have a clue what happened - how did I get here? What happened? Did I finish the race?

It took me a while to come back to my senses. The medic explained that they found me at the finish line and that I’d passed out due to dehydration. I was upset about this,I had really worked hard on my hydration during the few days previous, lots of water, zero tablets, salty pretzels, tuc crackers...and stopped at every water stop during the race. I was being mindful not to drink too much water during the race as it upsets my stomach so I was sipping my bottles till about half way before throwing away, whereas cups I was drinking the whole lot. For a while I couldn’t string two words together, but eventually I managed to ask ‘did I finish the race?’ They believed I did. I started crying because I simply couldn’t remember. I then looked at my garmin which tallied at 27.3 miles. This wasn’t enough, I really needed to see the finish chip time register to confirm.

Obviously the more I came back to life, the more upset and worried I got. This wasn’t what was supposed to happen? I’m meant to be out with my friends, taking photos, showing off our medals, heading for pints! The medics then came in with my medal. I didn’t want to take it without knowing if I had actually finished. With a few encouraging words from the medic crew, and Ronan who had now come to the rescue, I reluctantly let them place the medal over my head and after another half hour or so of monitoring I was allowed to go.

Turns out, I didn’t finish. I must have fallen somewhere between the 600m mark and the line, and I guess that’ll haunt me forever. Needless to say, I’m gutted, I’ve been crying a lot, especially because I felt like I ran a really good, paced race and had done everything in my power to prepare myself for the day. I have tucked my medal away in a drawer and that’s where it will stay until I feel like I’ve earned it. I know I technically ran the distance of a marathon but without that finishing chip time it just feels like I don’t deserve it.

I’m going to take a wee breather from this forum just so I can re-gather, but I want to take this opportunity to thank our amazing mentors. Your guidance and support has been invaluable to me and I know I would not have reached the start line without you. I also want to thank my fellow novices, we’ve made quite a little support group, haven’t we? A huge well done on your amazing achievement yesterday….I’m proud of every single one of you.

1 - 11.31
    2 - 11.13
    3 - 11.22
    4 - 10.52
    5 - 11.08
    6 - 11.19
    7 - 11.34
    8 - 10.52
    9 - 11.08
    10 - 11.00
    11 - 11.25
    12 - 11.34
    13 - 11.28
    14 - 11.40
    15 - 11.43
    16 - 11.52
    17 - 11.25
    18 - 11.08
    19 - 11.00
    20 - 11.02
    21 - 10.57
    22 - 11.43
    23 - 11.13
    24 - 11.08
    25 - 10.44
    26 - 10.03
    27 - 5.48 ( this doesn’t look right so I’m assuming this is where the issue happened, I couldn’t have been running that fast, it certainly didn’t feel like it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Hi guys,

1 - 11.31
    2 - 11.13
    3 - 11.22
    4 - 10.52
    5 - 11.08
    6 - 11.19
    7 - 11.34
    8 - 10.52
    9 - 11.08
    10 - 11.00
    11 - 11.25
    12 - 11.34
    13 - 11.28
    14 - 11.40
    15 - 11.43
    16 - 11.52
    17 - 11.25
    18 - 11.08
    19 - 11.00
    20 - 11.02
    21 - 10.57
    22 - 11.43
    23 - 11.13
    24 - 11.08
    25 - 10.44
    26 - 10.03

Omg I’m so sorry that happened to you!! But you should be wearing that medal with pride you earned it. Hope you’re feeling ok today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Oh Ais_Byrne7, what a fright you must have got! Hope you're recovering well today. I'm so sorry that happened, you didn't deserve that. Please don't let it take away from what you achieved out there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Ais_Byrne7 wow I am glad you are ok :eek: that sounds so scary it got very warm yesterday as well even thought the day started out cold

But I think you have earned your medal and I hope you see that and hang it up take care of yourself now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Ais_Byrne7 thats a very scary thing to have happened & i am really glad you are ok. As everyone else has said you earned your medal & deserve to wear it with pride!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Hi guys,

1 - 11.31
    2 - 11.13
    3 - 11.22
    4 - 10.52
    5 - 11.08
    6 - 11.19
    7 - 11.34
    8 - 10.52
    9 - 11.08
    10 - 11.00
    11 - 11.25
    12 - 11.34
    13 - 11.28
    14 - 11.40
    15 - 11.43
    16 - 11.52
    17 - 11.25
    18 - 11.08
    19 - 11.00
    20 - 11.02
    21 - 10.57
    22 - 11.43
    23 - 11.13
    24 - 11.08
    25 - 10.44
    26 - 10.03

Some race. You can be mightily proud. You pushed yourself so hard you passed out. More than earned that medal! Hopefully you'll get a nice surprise when the finisher pix go up and you'll actually see you cross the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    *Sorry for the essay*

I finished my first marathon yesterday in a time of 5:16:10. The time wasn't what I had hoped for and wasn't what I had trained for, but that doesn't bother me. I do, however, sit here this morning with mixed feelings
    • I feel like I have achieved something, although this has yet to sink in I think.
    • I feel grateful that I was able to be part of the day.
    • I feel very proud of the grit and determination I showed yesterday because from mile 14 it was NOT easy for me.
    • But I'm going to be very honest and say that I also feel resentful of how yesterday went for me, because I really don't feel that I deserved to have the day I had.

Here is my race report for DCM 2019. My heart and soul poured out on a page. Apologies in advance for its length.

The final week of the taper was so difficult for me mentally. I was panicking a lot and not sleeping well. I was feeling pain in all different parts of my legs.
    Pain where there shouldn't have been pain. There was never pain before.
    Why is it here now? Is it in my head? It must be in my head. However, the final 2 days before DCM a calm descended on me. I was ready. The night before, I got a great sleep.

The morning of the race I was feeling okay. Had breakfast, although it was tough to get it into me. Porridge and coffee, then a banana and a half before starting the race. A lot of hanging around at the beginning but I'd loads of layers on so I was warm enough. A couple of selfies with Fraggle and met up with DBB and Kemcloughlin. We were ready to #runthistown. :D:D

The rough plan was to get to half way in 2.5hrs and avail of the natural negative split that is the Dublin course :rolleyes:

miles 1 - 7 (11:31, 11:28, 11:52, 11:37, 11:55, 11:40, 11:40)
    I felt so excited as we passed under the start line. I was concentrating really hard on keeping the pace 11:30min/m or more here because I had remembered the advice given to me so many times: "Don't start off too fast". I wasn't going to do that - I wasn't going to be the casualty at mile 20 who tore off at the start and was like the walking dead later on. Kept checking the pace. All good. Kept checking in with how I was feeling. All good. I was also concentrating hard on remembering to fuel every 3miles - I had learned from Longwood a few weeks ago how the excitement can result in you forgetting to take a gel at the right time. All gels taken at exactly the right time. Coming off the North Circular road and into the park was lovely. I had some supporters planning to be at mile 5 so looking out for them took my mind of the Chesterfield Ave drag. Spotted them and gave them a huge wave :) Felt the smallest amount of discomfort in my glutes here. The smallest amount. More supporters were lining the Castleknock gate and they got some great photos of me. Castleknock was incredible. I felt like a superstar!

miles 8 - 12 (11:02, 11:00, 10:57, 11:37, 11:16)
    Miles 8 and 9 through the park flew by. My watch was beeping for 9miles before the 9 mile marker was in sight :eek: But again, I had remembered not to worry - we were going to be running more than the 26.2 today and the mile markers aren't positioned exactly accurate to the mile. Decided to gently up the pace as we were past the 7mile mark. Felt good. In all the reading I did about the course, and after all the warnings I received about Roebuck Hill - St Laurence Road never once got an honourable mention. A hill which - in my view - is far far worse than Roebuck. Maybe because it is so early in the race? It doesn't help that it is followed by Sarsfield Rd which felt like a bit of a drag to me. Mental note to self: Maybe the flat canal wasn't the best place to be doing most of my LSRs.
    Heading down the Inchicore Rd I was approaching unknown terriroty. In my head, miles 12 to 20 were going to be somewhat of a no-man's land until I reached Clonskeagh, so I planned to just zone in, focus and get there. Somewhere on that South Circular Rd I felt a sensation around my knee that I had never felt, in all my training. Not a pain. Discomfort. I checked my watch.
    Pace was fine. I was feeling fine. It can't be that. I'll ease up a little bit anyway, just in case. I was later to learn that this was most likely posture related. More on this in a while.

miles 13 - 20 (11:43, 12:29, 12:12, 12:05, 12:22, 12:36, 13:05, 12:46)
    This block was excruciating. The discomfort in my knee area had simultaneously traveled down to my calf and up to my quad and hip flexor. What the HELL is going on? I'm getting really annoyed now and even a bit upset. It wasn't supposed to be like this. It isn't fair. I trained so hard for Dublin 2019. I really did. I gave it my life for 5months. I didn't just follow the training plan religiously but I cut out alcohol and improved my nutrition, I upped my hydration and slept more. I took up Yoga. I stretched and foam rolled. I got regular sports massages every 6-8 weeks. I gave it 5months of my life and more and it betrays me in the most spectacular fashion. And at MILE 12! I know they say to expect the unexpected, but I never expected this. I was so confident that I wouldn't blow up - I was almost smug about it. It wasn't pace related. I kept saying this to myself over and over. Sort of like assuring myself that this wasn't my fault. I was so mad, but there was no time to be mad. This marathon was giving me shít and it needed to be put back in its box! But how? I passed through half way in 2:31 but I knew already that a negative split was not on the cards for me. Plan A was to be sub 5 - I knew that was off the table. Plan B was to enjoy the day - I knew this was most likely not going to happen either. So, it became simply about survival. I wasn't experienced enough to know if I should have stopped for a stretch or not at this point. It was so early on in my race that I knew if I stopped and it got worse, I was done for. A DNF? I've never DNF'd. I'm not starting today. What now? A and B goals are gone. I didn't have a C goal in mind. What can I hope for at this stage? To not stop running and finish. Strong if I can. So that was what I did. I didn't stop. I pulled back the pace. It genuinely took spades of grit and dogged determination. I knew I was strong-willed, but I even amazed myself yesterday. I saw ReeReeG and Huzzah! at Milltown and ladies - if I thought you'd let me, I would have collapsed at yer feet, cried my eyes out and quit. And ... I'm crying now as I type this. The first emotional release since crossing the finish line yesterday :(

miles 21 - 23 (12:43, 13:17, 13:25)
    One day during the training block, all those weeks ago, I headed out to Roebuck Hill. I ran it and remember thinking that it was "easy". I thought it might be slightly different though, after 20miles. It wasn't. It was still relatively easy. Foster Ave - the part of the course I had visualised since back at mile 1 - the lovely downhill I had been looking forward to - was agony on my leg. This was bizzare! I had reached Foster Ave and I was asking for more hills :eek: I was holding a banana and a bottle of water at this stage and I had the life squeezed out of both as I battled through the pain. Every so often I could feel the leg wanting to give way. If I changed my running pattern at all I would surely hit the ground. I recall telling myself - as I came up the UCD flyover - "You're probably in big trouble when you stop after the finish line". I was going to be well over the 5hr mark. I wasn't disappointed with myself. There was nothing more I could have asked of my body that day. It didn't let me down. The problem was that in all my preparation to keep the pace right and the nutrition appropriate, I never once checked my posture. My inexperience got the better of me.

miles 24 & 25 (12:12, 12:15)
    As I passed St Vincent's Hospital I thought that if I walked in there and got them to chop my leg off, It'd have been less painful. It was awful. Resentment rose in me again. I didn't deserve this. It wasn't fair. I was now running in a sea of walkers. I felt a bit pathetic. I was trying my hardest, struggling so much, yet I was just about keeping pace with walkers. I quickened as much as I could. I met a friend at Merrion Square who was thrilled to catch me (I think she thought she had missed me as I was quite behind my schedule) I poured my heart out to her as I ran up Embassy Road and she ran alongside me on the path. She remarked that she couldn't keep up with me and here I was heading into mile 26, running and talking! She told me to go for it and I did. Feck the pain. One mile left. Lets go. Get your strong finish at least.

mile 26.2 (11:34 for mile 26)
    I passed so many people out on that last mile. I went for it. I had actually made it home, having spent over half the time in agony. So many would have had similar setbacks. Not all would finish. I am finishing. Of that I can be proud. The blue carpet took forever to appear, but when it did I bolted for the finish. I must have looked amazing coming in. Bittersweet. I didn't feel amazing. I felt robbed. I can't keep saying it wasn't my fault. Ultimately, it was. I was being sensible and I was focused and paying attention, but I took my eye off the ball with the posture and I paid for it. When I crossed the finish line and I stopped, I was able to keep myself upright. Success. It was a very slow and painful walk to meet my other half at Nassau St and by the time I got there, I just didn't have the strength to head back to McGrattans. There was also the matter of a very lonely doggy to head back home to :)

One thing though, when I think back to how awfully wrong it went for me, a 5:16 finish is not too shabby at all. It's less than 20mins shy of my sub 5hr target. And, as we agreed in the weeks before DCM, what's 20mins in the scheme of things when you're talking about a marathon? I have no doubt that had it not been for the sensible advice I was plied with from Mr Guappa, ReeReeG and Huzzah! I wouldn't have kicked into survival mode as quick. Take a bow, mentors. You are amazing!

Like I said previously, later that evening, in the pub, (I went to the pub for a pint :eek: ) doing the post mortem with my club mates, one of the coaches remarked that it sounded like a posture issue. He believes that it sounds like I could have been leaning forward, thus stacking and putting too much weight on the legs and that it took its toll by mile 12. I would be inclined to agree with this. On my training runs, I would check in with my posture every so often, and when I did, it always needed correcting. The fact that I never checked once during DCM says it all really.

I'm currently sitting in bed, drinking coffee and looking at my finishers top hanging up on the wardrobe handle. I did #runthistown and I am a proud finisher, but Dublin and I now have unfinished business :cool:

As someone once said: "I'll be back"

To complete a marathon in that much pain is an amazing achievement in itself. Don't beat yourself up, you should be very proud. Wear your top and medal with pride, you earned it. I think posture with me was a major issue too, I had major pain in my back. We live and learn. Enjoy the rest . You have amazing spirit, your posts have given me so much laughs and encouragement. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Great race report & brilliant race! You should wear your top & medal with pride, you so deserve it. Personally i am so happy to have meet you there because I was feeling extremely overwhelmed & upset that i didn't see my son but seeing a friendly face helped me so much. So i would like to thank you for that! Dream big ;) & again huge well done :D

Aw shucks thanks. I was delighted to spot you to be honest. Your training, fundraising and everything else was seriously inspirational and you got the result you deserved to match it. I'm sure out paths will cross again at future events, you'll just be miles ahead of me finishing them all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Aw shucks thanks. I was delighted to spot you to be honest. Your training, fundraising and everything else was seriously inspirational and you got the result you deserved to match it. I'm sure out paths will cross again at future events, you'll just be miles ahead of me finishing them all!!

I'm sure your paths will cross on the day you both do that Sub 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

Hi guys,.

1 - 11.31
    2 - 11.13
    3 - 11.22
    4 - 10.52
    5 - 11.08
    6 - 11.19
    7 - 11.34
    8 - 10.52
    9 - 11.08
    10 - 11.00
    11 - 11.25
    12 - 11.34
    13 - 11.28
    14 - 11.40
    15 - 11.43
    16 - 11.52
    17 - 11.25
    18 - 11.08
    19 - 11.00
    20 - 11.02
    21 - 10.57
    22 - 11.43
    23 - 11.13
    24 - 11.08
    25 - 10.44
    26 - 10.03

You're probably already gone for that breather. Take your time. You need to do what you feel is best for you. You trained and committed hard for months and months. That is where you earned your medal. The 44km run you done yesterday was the victory lap. It was only meant to be 42.2k, so you went above and beyond there too. Well done. You ran a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Dear Ash_Byrne7. I was worried about you because I could not reconcile the official results and Strava. Relieved that you are ok. So sorry about what happened. It was lovely to meet you and have your company for those first 6 miles.
    You did complete the marathon. Plus you did all the training for it. Yes you must be devastated but you certainly ran the full distance. You deserve that medal. Recover well. Best wishes, Dolores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Ais that is so scary. Thank God you were okay. Look after yourself now. By the way I saw a couple of supporters with Ronan and Aisling on their posters and thought that must be my interweb friends!

Advertisement