Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Miles 22.5- Finish

Went over the UCD bridge, felt ok again.
    As i was approaching RTE, my hamstring gave me a reminder twitch again followed by another twitch in my right calf. I knew at this stage, I was going to be in a world of pain within the next few minutes as from previous experience playing football over the years, these things dont just go away.
    As i was saying to Laineyfrecks in McGrattans, I felt for 22 miles this Marathon was grand, not easy in the slightest but very manageable for me. Suddenly, it was anything but... I turned off nutley lane and headed towards home. I was fearing the next 2 miles.
    BOOM. Both calves and both hamstrings tightened up to the stage I felt I was no longer in control of my legs. It felt surreal, It was almost like I was in a parralel universe and it wasnt really happening. Eventually It became too much pain and I had to stop and stretch for few seconds. No doubt about it, I panicked.I started again and felt the pain had lessened a bit and found a pace i think i could finish at. It was slower but I was going in the right direction.
    I looked at the watch, did the maths and realised, I had the sub 3.30 target hit, even it i had to slow to walk but I really didn't want to walk over the line.
    I wanted to finish this marathon on my terms. I gritted my teeth, thought as positive as I can and ran that last mile with everything I had, displaying the cheesiest fake smile one could ever see. I'm done. I'm thrilled.. 3.25.20.

Had a couple of pints in Mcgrattans- Great to put a few faces to names. Thank you very much to the three mentors. They really were excellent. Skyblue , you got me interested in that Amsterdam Marathon next year. Without a shadow of a doubt despite the pain at the finish, I will definitely run another marathon.

Congrats again, what a debut:) Such a shame your legs started to feel it towards the end, but thankfully you're happy with the time (and rightfully so!)
    Did you cycle home as well then?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'm sure most people are familiar with it already but I'm just going to paste it in anyway, one of my favorite quotes from Teddy Roosevelt hopefully someone can get something out of it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Wow, I love this quote. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Congrats again, what a debut:) Such a shame your legs started to feel it towards the end, but thankfully you're happy with the time (and rightfully so!)
    Did you cycle home as well then?!?

Thanks.
    i didn't cycle back, bike has probably been broken down for parts at this stage.ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

A huge thank you to Huzzah, Mr Guappa and ReeReeG for the last few months of invaluable advice during the course of the training!!

Target Time: 04:39:59
    Chip Time: 04:13:58

I'm going to try keep it as brief as I can. I made some decisions up to 48 hours before hand which certainly effected me both positively and negatively on the day.

My target time was more than achievable after running a 1:49:41 in the Half. I wanted to go out and enjoy myself - but how often am I going to do a marathon - once or twice a year - I wanted to see what limit I could hit without exhausting myself and set a decent target for next year.

I was due to start in Wave 4. As I was running solo, I was at the start nice and early (approx 8:45, after dropping bag off) to avoid any delays/if I got lost etc.

After stretching and activation exercises,I had great chats with the 4:10 pacers. Really nice guys, we were talking about the training, the Boards group and target times. They said I was more than capable of under 4:30 so I said I'd plod along with them and drop back when/if I needed to during the race. Was feeling very fresh and no niggles, albeit the day before it felt like I had two minor pulled calves but an excellent sleep, super hydrated all week and diet plan on point seemed to half resolved this!!

09:20/5 came along and made our way towards the start line - wasn't I supposed to be in wave 4 to start 09:45?! I said this to the pacers as I made a mistake and didn't want my chip time affected in anyway - I was reassured it will be fine, but definitely don't want to be in that situation again next year!

Had the gels in the belt and planned on taking every 5km.

I wanted to stick under the 6:00min/km as much as I could but within my comfort zone.

I can safely say the first half of the race was easily the most enjoyable run I've ever done. The crowds on the streets were amazing and really pushed me on. The name written on the bib number seemed to be working!! My HR was low and I was soaking everything in. I zoned out but I knew I was in and around where the pacers were. 01:57:18 for the first half.

Once we hit 28km I was still feeling comfortable, well hydrated, gels going to plan (and agreeing with me!!) - I was now going into unknown territory.

Also, not sure if it was around this mark or further up, I seen 2 or 3 people hold a white sign that I'm sure said ''Mr Guappa says ...... '' ?? I was on the other side of the road so forgive me!!

All my Kms from 1-29 were in the 5:xx bracket. Around the 30km mark I had to stop for toilet break, as I was getting back into the run , bang - my left hip & thigh went into convulsions of cramps and I was hobbling a bit. I knew my time was good and there was around 11km left. I was going to just push myself and pay for it afterwards. I stopped 3 or 4 times at the side of the road for stretches , but everywhere started to cramp if stretched for more than a few seconds. The next 8 or 9 kms are a blur. A mixtures of almost jogging on the spot , to walking , to running again when the crowds were there shouting my name - really was a game changer. Was almost in tears while running at some points. I knew I was going to finish no matter what and it was mind over body at that stage.

On the home stretch I went over to the other half and my mam then made my way towards the finish line. KM number 42 was my second fastest in the entire race - 05:18 - that says it all about the crowds giving people a push and the need to get over that line!! Words can't describe getting over that line, was almost an out of body experience. I hobbled towards the tshirt and post race bag collection area andelevated the legs for a few minutes before getting the bag and walking down to Stephens Green to meet family.

Sorry I didn't get the McGrattans.

Positives and Negatives:

- I did 3km walk before hand to the location and over 9000 steps tallied before the race began. Arrange transport or stay closer to start.
    - Pick the correct Wave and stick with it!!!
    - Practice more with gels - the most I did before hand was 3 on a long run
    - The most I ran before hand was 28km and I was in bits during the training. Really need to hit that magic 32km but lucky it didn't effect me too much,
    - STICK TO THE TRAINING PLAN - avoid missing or reducing/increasing milage. the plan works!
    - Part of me was disappointing not to get under the 4:10 after a solid 30km (02:52:xx at that point) - In saying that OF COURSE I would have taken my chip time at the end of the day :)
    - Need to get comfortable on the legs in the higher milage - the last 12km is what separated me from where I was to 100% prepared and on for a very very decent time.

I'm sure there is a lot of detail I'm missing and I will edit in as I can think of it.
    Again, a huge THANK YOU to everyone on the group, for encouraging each other and all the helpful tips. Roll on next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭py

Huzzah! wrote: »
    COMRADES! Please do think about starting a training log. You'll get loads of advice from some very experienced Boardsies.

Done.
    Was so sorry to see your race didn't finish to plan, but well done on finishing it out! As you said, you've learned you have resilience you didn't think you had! Don't worry about training paces right now, definitely avoid running for a couple of weeks (or more ideally) considering the hurt you were in yesterday. And just pass the time staring at your MARATHON medal :)

Thanks. The earliest I'll be back running will be at Run the Line and that's up in the air pending recovery. That'll be 3 weeks off from running. If I need more I'll take it. I asked about training paces as I like to plan so I've started to look at what I'm doing next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I hope you get over the disappointment and appreciate the achievement fully :) You did great considering something happened to affect your day, and only let it affect the result by 5 mins!! Congrats :)

Thanks for that. Actually feeling much better today. No more moping. Now really hoping I am lucky in the lotto for next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    DCM 2019

Goodness, where do I start. I signed up for DCM last November. Last years 2018 novices thread really inspired me. I was just after breaking my hand in a running fall and whilst recuperating I decided I'd give it a go, and what a journey it has been!

My training went really well up until week 8. I ended up taking four weeks out with tendon issues and got back in at week 12. It really was an emotional rollercoaster at the time. I had almost given up on my chances of being fit and ready. Another tendon issue flared up with two weeks to go. My leg still niggled right up to yesterday. I took a paracetamol at the start and at half way just in case. Thankfully it didn't give me any bother.

I had a great night's sleep and woke five minutes before my alarm at 5.40. Had breakfast and got ready. I foam rolled my sore leg for a bit and headed down to get the bus that our club had organised. The banter and excitement was great!

Bananaleaf was with me, she was on the club bus as well. We made our way to toilets, baggage, toilets and to wave 4 (I dropped back a wave based on my revised target time). It was great having company beforehand to chat and make the time go quicker. We also met DBB and kemcloughlin in the wave section. We were positioned quite a good bit back from the red 5 hour pacers. I've never ran with pacers before but it was nice having them in sight and hopefully to reel back in later on. At 9:48 off we went!!!

Mile 1 to 7
    (Paces of 11:08, 11:28, 11:49, 11:28, 11:37, 11:22, 11:19)

I was conscious of taking the pace handy as advised for this stretch. It was hard! The crowd support was unbelievable. I loved the run up Chesterfield Ave, the crowd spread out nicely and it was a lovely bit of quite time between the madness of North Circular and Castleknock. I randomly came across my aunt in Castleknock. She didn't know I was running so it was a nice surprise for both of us :) My leg felt a bit stiff for the first 3 miles. I took a painkiller just in case. After 3 miles it loosened up and I felt good!

Mile 8 to 18
    (Paces of 10:36, 10:52, 10:46, 11:34, 11:19, 11:28, 11:58, 11:40, 11:28, 11:28, 11:22)

I picked up my pace as planned after Castleknock. I was nicely warmed up and felt good. The support along the way was just amazing. Came across an old college friend supporting in Crumlin and a neighbour in Terenure which was just lovely. I ate a few too many jellies on this stretch :) My tummy wasn't liking them and felt a small bit queasy. I stuck to water and gels after that :) I had reeled the 5hr red balloon pacers in at the half way mark unintentionally at 02:28:40. This worried me as I wondered did I do the first half too fast. I decided to slow pace a bit to conserve energy for Milltown and beyond. The red balloons bobbed off ahead in the distance. I picked up a 5hr pacing band at the expo. It was a great help in guiding me on where I should be at each mile. It kept me focused.

Mile 19 to 26.2
    (Paces of 11:25,11:46, 11:34, 12:05, 10:49, 10:41, 10:34, 10:49, 9:56)

I was so excited to see the family at Milltown. The kids cute faces and excited waves when they saw me coming!! I took it easy going up Milltown hill. I was more worried about that stretch than heartbreak hill cause I am familiar with Milltown. It was funny heading up towards UCD, I had no idea where or what Heartbreak hill was. At one stage I thought I might have already ran past it and then I saw the "wall" signs :) The hill was fine. The sticky road from all the spilt energy drinks annoyed me more!! Once onto the flyover I just picked up the pace and went for home. I gave it my all on that stretch. I overtook so many people and honestly don't think a single person passed me in the last 3 miles. Exactly the finish I wanted. Came in at 04:57:55.

A big thanks for all the support on this thread especially to Mr. Guappa, Huzzah and ReeReeG. It's been invaluable and thoroughly enjoyable. I can't wait to read all the race reports. Sorry about not making McGrattans. Hope ye had a great night!

Congratulations to the novice marathoners of 2019!!

Wow - that's a brilliantly managed run from you. Delighted you had the finish you wanted after a couple of tricky weeks with injury. Congratulations.

py wrote: »
    Delighted to see everyone get through yesterday relatively unscathed. Thanks again to the mentors for providing such a wonderful experience over the past few months and for instilling belief in all of us that we could complete DCM.

Goal time: 3:59:59
    Actual: 4:28:48

Training
    I think it went well and got my pacing for my training runs down eventually as the program progressed. I didn't have any show stopping injuries along the way. I got all the runs in. I missed the 10k race but got the other races in the race series done - FD10 and DCHM. FD10 was horrid day in the heat and DCHM went far better than I expected which put me in a place where I thought sub 4 was achievable.

Pre-race
    Had physio on the Monday for routine sports massage and the only concern I had at the time was that my left hip flexor(flexors? Is it singular or plural?) was causing me a little issue. Had some stretches to do for it but wasn't causing me too many issues throughout the week. The day before I manage to take a layer of skin off the back of one of my heels which is just ****ing marvellous. On the day I put a cushioned bandage on it and put duct tape around the back of my heel to keep the bandage on. Slept pretty well during the week and got about 6 hours the night before the race. Due to the hour going back it meant I was up early but this gave me time to get my breakfast digested and my bowels moving. I got a lift in as far as Leeson Street bridge and walked down towards the Shelbourne, arriving at about 8:15 and couldn't see anyone I recognised so mosied on down to get ready for the race. Discovered I didn't have my HR strap so went with wrist HR which is better than nothing. Quick stop off in the bathroom prior to entering my wave. I'd got my hydration pack and fuel with me so didn't have to worry about that along the way.

Race
    My goal time of 3:59:59 meant an average pace of 5:41min/Km. I'd planned to do ~5:50min/Km on the drags, 5:20-5:30min/Km on the flats/downhills and just get up the larger hills without putting myself under any pressure.

From start till the top of the Castleknock climb I averaged 5:45min/Km and given there's a few flat Kms in there, I appeared to be on track for my goal time. Plenty of support out along the streets which was an amazing experience. Body felt fine at this stage. 4:00 pacers are a fair bit ahead.

Going from the top of Castleknock back down to the park, the pace as planned got quicker till the re-entry to the Phoenix park. I'd to take an al fresco toilet break in the park whch felt like it would never end. I'm unsure how I needed to go so much after only going about 80 minutes prior, I'm thinking it was the cold but curious if anyone else experienced the same on the day. Back out of the park and across Chapelizod bridge to the first big test of the day.

St Laurence's hill - I went up here at 5:55min/Km which was 30 seconds too quick. Onto the flats through ballyfermot and another brief drag up towards Kilmainham. All through Inchicore I'm doing 5:18-5:26min/Km, too quick for a few of them. I cross the halfway point in 1:59:31 and go up through Crumlin until Walksintown Roundabout too quick at 5:33min/Km.

From 25-30Km (walksintown to Rathgar) I'm tipping along 5:23/5:36/5:30/5:29/5:36/5:34. I'm greeted by my wife, kids, dad and friends in Terenure which was fantastic. I dropped my hydration pack off and grabbed a bottle of electrolytes from them.

31-32Km - Going along Orwell Park I've caught up to the 4:00 pacers being very close in the previous section. I'm chatting away with one of them all along here, some witty tall jokes thrown my way. I get to the downhill section before the Dropping Well and my hamstrings are not sore but they start communicating with me. I pass Huzzah and ReeReeG and get a shoutout... thanks again! I seriously step down the pace going up the hill in Milltown as I know the legs are tired and we're approaching the 20 mile mark, unchartered territory.

33Km - Still running, have slightly slowed down to 6:04min/Km

34Km - Hip flexor starts causing me issues and both my hamstrings start barking. I decide I need to slow down but I am going to finish regardless of my time.

35Km - I get a sharp pain from my right pinky toe, a blister popped. I think about taking some of the duct tape off my heel and covering the blister but I reckon if I take my shoes off I may not get them on again. I'm swapping between walking, shuffling and light jogging at this stage. Encouragement is great along here even though "Come on only X miles to go" seems like the finish line is in another country. I text my wife at this stage to say I've hit the "wall". I change my goal from sub 4 to finishing. I know that these last few Km are going to hurt a lot.

36-37Km - Heartbreak hill and descent - Still in walking/shuffling/jogging mode, mostly walking. The descent after heartbreak hill was tougher than the ascent.

38-40Km - This is the toughest part of my day - mentally and physically. I pretty much walked all of this. I get to a place mentally where I'm trying to figure out how the day went wrong and asking myself a lot of stupid ****ing questions. This is the wrong time to be doing this. I take another piss break at St. Vincent's hospital.

Home straight - Physically I'm busted so it's my noggin that's going to get me through this. I recall something from a podcast where a guest said when things get tough they start counting their steps. I start doing this and get as high as 200... that's the best part of 200m. I do this several times, getting to random numbers and getting distracted during some of my counts. It's getting me through these last few Km. In addition to my other pain, my lower back is now hurting, presumably due to my altered gait through the last 5Km or so. I shuffle to the end and get across the finish line. Collect the medal, t-shirt and goodie bag. Ask another participant to take a photo of me with my medal and then find somewhere to lie down and elevate my feet. I eventually grab my bag and throw on clothes over my race gear, didn't have the energy to take it off and put on an entire fresh outfit. I check my phone and my wife thinks my tracker was broken as a finish time wasn't appearing... lol.

Post race
    Whoever choose upstairs in McGrattans is an evil person. Those stairs were a real struggle! Grabbed one drink and caught up with a few people before I had to make a swift exit to meet another friend briefly and then grabbed some food. After getting home at about 4pm I was on the couch for most of the evening till bedtime. Family were mighty proud and so was I.

Thoughts
    • I completed my first marathon. I started running last November. This is a win and success. I've a huge sense of pride. I am a runner now, it's a part of my life.
    • I'd suffered before on long cycling events but nothing like yesterday. I learned that I have resilience and mental fortitude.
    • First half was too quick if I really wanted the sub 4, I don't think by too much but definitely too quick.
    • The pain I'm feeling now is mostly muscular/doms. I need to get my hip flexor looked at it but it's nothing major. Most importanly, that pain is temporary.
    • I wore a set of "racing" runners which I'd used at FD10 and DCHM. I wasn't going to get close to the pace required to see some benefit from them. A stupid mistake.

What's next
    • Rest. I might get some really light cycling done over the next few weeks to get the blood circulating in the legs a bit more.
    • I've been watching my diet a good bit for the past 12 weeks after a bit of a panic after almost reaching 105Kg early in the training plan. I was 95Kg at the start of week 18. I've definitely got more changes that I can make to lower the body mass, in a healthy way though. This week will be lax though, still ensuring I get protein consumed to help the body recover.
    • Run the Line is in a few weeks but I need to see how the body is. If I'm still in pain or my hip flexor is not close to 100% then I'll skip it.
    • I need to start doing S&C and mobility work as soon as my body has recovered. My aerobic system (recent lab based VO2 result proved that) is good but my durability is what let me down yesterday.
    • Next year's plans start early with Donadea 50k in February and then Comrades in June. I might get another marathon/ultra in between those to prep my legs for June. Pending how that goes I think I'd like to do another DCM training cycle so I may just pick up an entry this month to ensure that is a possibility.
    • I'm a little unsure on my training paces moving forward so if someone has guidance that would be great.

That's a very honest report. I'm so sorry you'd a tough run in from Milltown. It's a testament to your strength of character that you didn't quit when the going got tough. Huge congratulations on completing your first marathon.

As for distraction methods: I count down from 100 myself. It's really difficult and, therefore, nicely distracting. I think Paula Radcliffe counts to 100 or something similar.
    py wrote: »
    Done.

Thanks. The earliest I'll be back running will be at Run the Line and that's up in the air pending recovery. That'll be 3 weeks off from running. If I need more I'll take it. I asked about training paces as I like to plan so I've started to look at what I'm doing next year.

In terms of paces, I guess if you're doing a plan, there will be pace guidance along with it. I've no idea of an ultra plan to recommend, though. I can't see your paces changing dramatically. They might get a touch slower if you're following a more complicated plan with more running days scheduled per week. This is the calculator associated with the Grads Plans for your reference: https://runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php I probably wouldn't use your marathon time. Maybe use a combination of your FD and Half times. In December, you could maybe do Jingle Bells or an all-out parkrun to get an idea of your times.

But, for now, recovery is the aim of the game.

Dublin Marathon Race Report

Pre-Race
    There was so much good advice on Boards over the course of this plan and I learned a huge amount. This really came into play for marathon week, I was conscious of sensibly eating carbs, salty foods, not eating too much protein the day before, not drinking too late the evening before or drinking too much the morning of the marathon. I suffer quite badly from dehydration, so it was a worry for me, I picked up some Precision Hydration tablets at the Expo and I feel this was really worthwhile too, much higher concentration than zero tabs (I think they were recommended in a YouTube vid shared to the novices what's app group). I hadn't slept well Friday night, but slept pretty soundly Saturday and woke up feeling good around 5.25. 

I'd had a touch of man-flu on Thursday too but that seemed to pass quickly (probably maranoia too). Purple hydration tablet in the morning, one tab split over two 250ml bottles, the second one that I brought to the start and sipped until I finished it around 4 miles in. Bagels with peanut butter and some proteinella for breakfast, with a banana and a double Nespresso. Not eating too late and eating clean meant my stomach was ready and cleared out well before leaving the house, which was a great bonus, it's always a worry for me. Got the gear on, including hideous luminous yellow visor and black arm-warmers I'd picked up at the expo.

Left the house a bit later than planned at about 7.40. Handy enough getting into town, although it was a bit confusing if we'd be able to get to our planned parking just off Kildare St (work spaces). Made it anyway, parked up and started heading to the start area by about 8.10. Left my wide at the barriers and arrange to see her in the first few miles and again at Dolphin's Barn. Bag drop was hectic but nice and quick and slowly strolled up towards wave 2. Queued for the portaloos near the front of the wave and by the time I got in and out it was pretty much go time. Stripped off the hoody and trackies, and strolled along at the back of the wave towards the start. I was surprised at how relaxed I was and really enjoyed the atmosphere and chats with a few people along the way. 

The Race
    Before I knew it Wave 2 was on the move. I ate a little energy bar on the way to the start. I stayed well at the back, didn't waste any energy starting to run before the line, I knew most in this wave were going to be setting off quicker than me. I had my pace band and all the advice from here so I made sure to keep the start easy and controlled. 

Mile 1 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.22)
    By starting easy and at the back of the wave there was little or no congestion, didn't have to slow at all really. Pace felt ridiculously easy and I found it creeping under 9 now and again so I had to slow myself down a few times. I was determined to run the racing line as much as possible too so was tight to the inside of the bends as much as possible. Great buzz all along here.

Mile 2 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.16)
    With the big downhill in this stage I didn't mind speeding up a little more that the pace band. Had a text from the wife before the start to say she's be at Ellis Quay so was looking at for her at that point (yes I carried my phone, Decathlon marathon shorts were brilliant). More great support all along here. Spotted my wife just over the bridge and slowed for a quick peck. First little boost and feeling great. 

Mile 3 (Target: 9.29 Actual: 9.33)
    Hill was steeper than I expected and I was happy to slow things down and not get carried away. Didn't bother with the water station as I was carrying my bottle from the start. Some good support in parts, quite a few twists and turns too. Watch was already beeping a good bit before the markers. I think there was about 17 seconds difference between my pace band and the 3 mile marker. I think the whole way it was between about 12 and 20 seconds difference. 

Mile 4 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.19)
    Into the park now and quite a twisty section. Trying to follow the racing line still, pretty quiet support wise, quite peaceful really. Still feeling really good and controlled. Took my first gel just before the 4 mile mark. 

Mile 5 (Target: 9.22 Actual: 9.20)
    First of the straight miles up Chesterfield, some pockets of support but again pretty quiet. Had a chat about the lovely conditions and the joy of running in the park with a guy along here, he was running quicker than me but his target was 4.30, I've a feeling he might have had a tough finish. Despite starting in Wave 2 I didn't feel like I was going backwards at any stage, yes, there was probably more people passing me than I was passing but it wasn't enough to be disheartening or to make me want to speed up. 

Mile 6 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.18)
    Water station along here, so I took a bottle and dropped in a half an orange hydration tablet. A bit fiddly getting it out of the Ziploc, especially with gloves on, but got there in the end. A few more supporters and got a nice cheer and an offer of a bottle of water from one of my workmates. I was looking forward to getting to the cheering zone at Myo's now.

Mile 7 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.19)
    Lovely stretch through Castleknock with the live band on stage and then the huge crowds at Myo's. Loved acknowledging the crowds, got a bit emotional for the first of quite a few times! It's amazing seeing all the people out supporting, the different causes, the different motivations for runners, it's amazing to be a part of. Ate another little energy bar here.

Mile 8 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.55)
    The first of the downhill miles and a chance to open the legs a bit. Second gel at mile 8. Feeling really good, based on the mile markers I was a bit behind the pace band, even though I was on schedule by the watch so I didn't mind being a bit quicker than plan. Didn't force things at all, just let gravity do the work. Think there was another water station just before mile 9 but I skipped it as I'd carried my bottle from the previous one. 

Mile 9 (Target: 8.58 Actual: 8.55)
    Back into the park, little climb and then downhill again. The DJ at the to of the hill helpfully told us there was only 18 miles to go, had a bit of a laugh with a woman running alongside me at this. Used the downhills again, pace was creeping up a bit too much the odd time so had to check myself a few times. 

Mile 10 (Target: 9.05 Actual: 8.53) 
    Still going downhill, I think coming down towards the exit to the park was where I found myself speeding up a bit too much. Turning into Chapelizod was the first time I started to feel the effort a little bit and a couple of doubts crossed my mind. Great crowds in the village again which was a booster and spotted another work colleague and got a big cheer. 

Mile 11 (Target: 9.10 Actual: 9.17)
    This was a very quiet mile and came with the added bonus of the hill out of Chapelizod. I was really aware of the advice that this one could be a killer. I also remembered flying up it 5 years ago and the pain the last 5 miles brought, so I backed right off the pace and just chugged up the hill gently. Didn't panic to get back on pace, just gradually would it back up. 

Mile 12 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 9.01)
    More support again and a nice mainly flat or downhill through Kilmainham. Reminded me that I've still never gone to visit the Gaol and it's on my to do list. Gel at mile 12. Working a bit but not feeling too bad. I knew this was going to be tough, so I'm well prepared, remind myself to trust the training and the plan. Looking forward to seeing my wife again at Dolphin's Barn, keep smiling, acknowledging the crowds, high fiving a few kids etc. 

Mile 13 (Target: 9.08 Actual: 9.08)
    A lovely mile through Rialto and the South Circular. The old lady's singing Molly Malone in Rialto bringing a huge smile. Knew my wife was going to be at the petrol station at Dolphin's Barn, made sure there was nobody behind me a slowed for another reassuring peck! Set off again with a big smile on my face and feeling good. Everything was going pretty much to plan. 

Half Way (Target: 2.00.58 Actual: 2.00.51)
    Spot another work colleague who offers a bottle of water just before the half. The actual time here is taken from the Marathon app. I think it was pretty similar by my own count too. Quick check of the systems and all is still feeling ok. Remind myself to take this drag to Walkinstown handy enough and conserve as much as possible for the closing mile. 

Mile 14 (Target: 9.12 Actual: 9.15)
    Water station early in this mile I think. Take a bottle and drop in another half a hydration tablet and take a salt capsule here too. Had it on my pace band to eat another energy bar here too. I can't really remember if I did. I think I most likely did though. Very familiar with this stretch of road, it's the worst of the drag and I don't push it. 

Mile 15 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 9.05)
    Course flattens a bit through Drimnagh and pace picks up before easing into the drag to Walkinstown Roundabout. A few people starting to struggle now and have to be careful avoiding the walkers. I know there's a couple of friends at the roundabout so looking out for them as I get up to it. Sun is in there eyes so I see them before they see me and I think I frightened the life out of them. Quick high five and push on to the 15 mile mark and another gel.

Mile 16 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.58)
    These were the miles I was looking forward to. I'd run them in training a few weeks back, it's mostly flat and it's time to really start racing. Body knows it's working, there's no hiding that, a few aches here and there but nothing worrying. I'm really starting to make progress now and passing people. I remember hearing a few people mention the 4 hour pacers so I have a feeling they're not too far behind and might even be visible if I look back, but I'm not looking back. They won't catch me.     

Mile 17 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 8.59)
    Another water station early in the mile. I think I took a bottle and added half a hydration tab. I remember a few people taking gels from the gel station. I had a lot of stuff sloshing in my stomach and wasn't keen on taking on too much more. Support is mixed along here, a couple of good spots, it's a boring enough stretch. Spot another work colleague and give her a fright with my shout, another offer of sustenance, jellies this time, but I decline again and push on. Really looking forward to the turn towards Terenure and the downhill sections. 

Mile 18 (Target: 8.57 Actual: 8.54)
    Lovely support at Bushy park and Terenure village. Poor soul down getting his legs massaged at the park. Also a tub of Vaseline on the wall for anyone having chaffing issues, it looks well used! Lots of high fiving kids and hitting power up signs along here. Feeling pretty good and keeping things nice and steady. 

Mile 19 (Target: 8.56, Actual: 8.54)
    Just keep motoring through Rathgar and the leafy streets of Orwell. Think there's another water station at mile 19, took a bottle but only had a few sips and chucked it, felt like I couldn't stomach too much more and was confident I was pretty well hydrated. Took another gel. Nice steady paces. Body was complaining a bit but still felt confident there was nothing that was going to stop me. It was around here the wheels starting coming off five years ago, and I knew I was in better shape this time. 

Mile 20 (Target: 8.56 Actual: 8.54)
    Milltown mile. Still mostly downhill, spot the Mr Guappa sign and shout at the Boardsies! Feeling pretty good and keeping the pace nice and steady. More and more walkers and people struggling, I'm still making good progress. Some good crowds along here too. 

Mile 21 (Target: 9.02 Actual: 8.54)
    Don't remember much about this at all. Pace still steady, had it on the pace band to eat another bar here but wasn't feeling like it at all so didn't bother. With five miles to go I knew I was on track and I remember being confident I was going to make it, even though the effort levels were definitely increasing. 

Mile 22 (Target: 9.05 Actual: 9.03)
    Heartbreak hill. Not so heartbreaking. I think some of the drags before it were almost as bad. I was conscious of not using too much energy to push here, I knew it could be made back on the downhills if needed. Last gel around the hill, skipped the Lucozade and wanted water now but either missed it or couldn't get to it. People walking all over the place now and the biggest issue was not running into the back of people coming to a sudden standstill. Once I crested the hill I was just thinking keep it steady and bring it home. 

Mile 23 (Target: 8.48, Actual: 8.51)
    Big downhill off Hearbreak hill couple of little incidents. Just at the start a woman stopped in front of myself and another woman, we were close enough to all being taken down, but just about avoided disaster. Then as I started to pick it up I could feel my hamstrings really tightening and I though they might cramp so eased off the gas a bit. The time was still in the bag with a steady pace, so there was no point trying for a few more seconds and getting a cramp. Great crowds here again and sure there's only a parkrun to go. Discarded my lovely luminous headband/visor here. Just wanted to have the breeze on my head. Didn't have the room in my pockets, I'd already taken gloves off and pocketed them.

Mile 24 (Target: 8.51 Actual: 8.55)
    Over the UCD flyover and I was feeling it a bit. There was a wind in my face, the effort was high, the hamstrings were tight, but I knew with the turn onto Nutley lane it would be downhill so just told myself to keep working. Nutley was a bit of a relief, took water from the station, took a few sips and poured some on my legs and arms. I've run these last few miles plenty of times in the last 18 weeks, I know I'm going to make it but I know it's not going to be easy. 

Mile 25 (Target: 9.00 Actual: 8.56)
    Merrion Road, the RDS, crowds really picking up again. Just keep working. There's a few people in a really bad way now, being cared for by medics or random strangers at the road side. There's a poor woman on the ground with a few people trying to help here. I'm glad I'm not feeling like that. I know it's painful but the pain is what we trained for, I'd ready and I'm finishing this. Another work colleague just before the mile marker, a big cheer and a high five. It's one of the lads I've run with a fair bit, he's a near 3hr marathoner himself and I've been out cheering him the last few years, it's another little boost. 

Mile 26 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.59)
    God this mile seems to drag on forever. I'm maybe too wary of pushing on and coming a cropper so I just keep it steady, the time is in the bag, it's all about trying to soak in the cheers and just getting to the line. The support is fantastic. There's a mixture of super strong finishers and people just desperately trying to keep moving now. What an amazing feeling. Emotions are high, looking out to see if I can sport more faces in the crowd but don't see anyone. Wife and friends were there though just lost in the crowds.

Finish (Target: 3.58.54 Actual: 3.59.08)
    Target was the pace band time, real target was anything starting with 3! Finish line came into view a bit sooner than I expected which was a huge relief. I was wrecked, but so, so happy, the training had got me to exactly where I wanted to be. I was going to cross the line sub 4. It was quiet a journey. Two years ago I wouldn't have believed I'd have been able to run regularly, there was days I could barely put my foot on the ground with the pain. Finally finding out a cause and a treatment just over a year ago changed everything. The psoriatic arthritis is under control and I'm getting my fitness back. So grateful to be able to do this, thoughts turn to those who can't, to friends and family who've been lost, to loved ones and the emotions are so high. Forget stopping the watch, put your hands in the air and celebrate the moment. Soak it in.

Post Race
    Oh dear God my legs, have to come to a sudden stop to avoid running into other finishers. Then the shuffle starts, everything hurts, but it's so worth it. Making my way very gingerly to the medal queue and I think I hear the announcer calling out Lanieyfrecks name, so I start looking out for her. Sure enough before we make it to the t-shirts I spot her. Some good chats from there to collecting the goodie bags, part ways to collect the bags from the drop and bump into each other again after. Great to at least meet one person from the Novices thread! Surprise then at the exit chute as I hear my parents calling me from the barrier, they've come up from Wexford to surprise me. Then the parents in law when I get out, who've braved the overcrowded Luas to get in too, and then my lovely wife and our friends who've come in to support.  

The marathon is such a huge commitment and a worry to an extent for family. It means so much to have all their support, and in a way it drives home just what a small club the marathon club is and how few people will actually ever experience it. I'm wearing my finishers top and medal today as I write this, it's something I'll forever be proud of.

Thanks again to all the boardsies, the novices, the mentors and the other experienced boards heads who are always so full of useful information and wisdom. I think that's it for me and the marathon for a few years at least. I've already set out a plan for the next few months, starting with the boards base building plan, followed by the 10k to half plan with the Great Ireland Run 10k as my next target race. I'd love to get to sub 20 for 5k and close to 40 for 10k and take it from there. If I come back to the marathon it'll be with a view of taking it to sub 3.30 or maybe even 3.00 (a man can dream). 

As Mr G said on your Strava: Boom! So happy after a tough couple of years that you had a great run. Congratulations!

Now you've loads of spare time, you really should make that visit to Kilmainham :D

Doc76 wrote: »
    I did not edit this so apologies in advance if it’s a doozy to read!

To be honest I wasn’t even going to write a report because I’m trying really hard not to be disappointed today that I didn’t meet my target because of something completely unrelated to running or training or preparation. Marathons are a funny beast... so many variables! And it was missed by 5 minutes... to a non runner that would be crazy thing to be upset by, right?!

It was just one of those things that happens and if I didn’t laugh about it I could cry. I couldn’t have been more ready for that marathon and that’s something I’m proud of. I trained well and was so consistent and dedicated. Around mile 5 my chance of reaching my goal was lost and I didn’t want to ruin the rest of the day trying to catch up and blow up. I decided I wasn’t going to dwell on what could have been and to just try to enjoy myself (as much as you can enjoy running for 5 hours that is!) I chose to be grateful for being able to run at all and just get on with it.

I took it fairly handy then, chatted to random runners around me, high fived the kids, took a gigantic mars bar thrown to me by a steward (?) driving by which I shared amongst 5 runners around me and all those other nice things you can do to make yourself feel better about not getting what you worked so hard for.

The middle of the race was the toughest mentally. I wanted to go home to be honest. But I hadn’t a clue where the hell I was or what mile I was on so just kept putting one foot in front of the other. The crowd support was fantastic I do remember that and without them I think I would have called it a day.

Around Orwell Rd I saw some familiar faces and knew from there to the home stretch would be the easiest. Something suddenly clicked (seriously) and I didn’t have to fake the smile anymore, I was truly enjoying the experience now.

I saw ReeReeG and Huzzah! at Milltown and shouted to them. I ran up the hill by Wilde and Green although felt a little self conscious since most around me were walking at that stage. I saw a good friend and her son at the turn onto clonskeagh rd and got a big hug. I nearly cried tears of joy. This part of the course I was well familiar with and ran strong. Got up my old friend heartbreak hill and down fosters. Turned onto nutley and down merrion rd...

One of my best friends was there and she was so encouraging I’ll never forget her words and kindness. Another friend was by the US embassy (I’m from the US originally) with her kids and homemade signs... I had my best running at this stage and if anything I’m happy I finished that race strong and healthy and truly chuffed.

I nearly cried when the nice lady put the medal around my neck and I had some really nice chats with finishers around me as we made our way to the bag drop. I FaceTimed my husband and 3 kids and they were so proud of me that I actually cried. I wish I’d made it under 5 hours but that’s for next time.

Was nice to meet some of you at McG’s and thank the mentors. I met my friends for dinner (we all missed our goals by about 5 minutes ranging from 3:20 to 5:05 so that was “funny”) and collapsed into bed at 8 :)

Without you my internet running pals and my running mates from my real world I wouldn’t have gotten this far so thank you.

Waiting impatiently for registration for next year to open, I’ll be back for another try.

Edited to add—saw the same two novices both before and after the race don’t know your boards names only your real ones anyway it was nice to meet you in person too as well as those at the pub :)

I missed my goal by a similar amount and I don't give it a second thought. I'm sorry you're disappointed but you had a really strong run. How many people can say they finished their first marathon, "strong"? It's an incredible feat and an even better feeling. Congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hi everyone, I had dropped out of this thread during the summer as a combination of work based issues and a minor health issue kind of left me demotivated. I stayed as a lurker though and managed to stick mainly to the plan.

It's amazing to see how well everyone did on Sunday and huge congratulations must go to all the mentors and people giving advice. What a resource for anyone to have for free!

As for myself, I had a great day. I felt strong the whole way when out of the blue at 17 miles I got a cramp in my left hamstring. I got flashbacks to my first marathon and I just decided no way was it going to happen again. I stopped, stretched and got going again, always wary of it. I thought Heartbreak hill was never going to end. I forgot about the last incline on it and thought I was through it! Hills dont usually bother me but on Sunday that one did ! Going down Fosters avenue and settling in for the final stretch my right hamstring decided to join the party. A few expletives and a good minute or so of stretching and I got back on the road again.

Going up the ramp on the dual carriage way I spotted a work colleague who started to run along with his mobile phone recording me as he interviewed me ! The looks I got from everyone else was hilarious and it provided a welcome distraction for a while. I met him again at mile 25 and it gave the same boost there.

I faded slightly on the last 1.5 miles and was glad of the finish. I Started the training targetting 3:50. I ended up with 3:52 and given the cramping issues I am very happy with that.

Again congratulations to everyone and well done to Mr G. Huzzah and Ree Ree for their generous advice and time.

I'd love to sign up again for next year, fingers crossed for the lottery I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Race Report

1 11:17 Started off a good bit behind the 5 hour pacers. Was feeling good but nervous. Crossed the start line in a hoody and wondering if my choice of clothes wasn't the best - was a bit nippy
    2 11:21 Feeling good here and everyone is very chirpy, pace feels good
    3 11:51 There's a man in a boat beside me, lots of entertaining conversations going on, I whip off the jacket around now
    4 11:20 Chesterfield Ave –still feeing strong
    5 11:29 Coming through the uphill of the park now. Feel good, but my hips / glutes are starting the hurt!!! Both of them?! What the hell is this !!
    6 11:30 Hoping the hips ease off, but the uncomfort stays with me , it's distracting, and I'm mad cos I got phsio massages and having been doing my exercises to strengthen glutes!!!
    7 11:36
    8 11:18 Castleknock crowd is the first big one and the energy is awesome , I power around the corner I remember struggling on in the half! Feel like bursting into tears with all the crowds they are so lovely
    9 11:37
    10 11:32
    11 12:06 This bit is all a bit of a blur, but the hip pain is still with me and I'm starting to feel it now. Feel on the verge of tears every time I see someone stop to hug their friends that have came to support them. The crowds are overwhelming!
    12 11:52
    13 11:58 I go through the half way mark slower than my half marathon, and feel a little disappointed in myself
    14 12:33 Can't remember much about the next few miles bar feeling in a bit of pain, but still pretty resilient
    15 12:06
    16 12:30
    17 14:03 I'm struggling here, walking a little and then I see my friend here and stop to chat briefly ! She tells me I look great, but I'm actually fecked. I say to her I don't know how I'm going to do another 10 !!!
    18 12:29 Coming down from Bushy, enjoying the downhill, but it doesn't feel as easy as I think it should. Walk a little after I get into Terenure.
    19 15:15 My BF & Friend meet me here, slightly apart. Delighted to see them and stop with them briefly. They offer words of encouragement and I plow on.
    20 12:49 Hit the 20, landmark and unknown territory,
    21 15:42 Walked a bit here, feeling in a lot of pain!! Met my friends over the n11 flyover, they tell me not to stop and keep going
    22 13:51 Determined to run to the finish now. Going to keep running even if it kills me
    23 13:03
    24 12:43 Want to stop, but I'm going to keep running if it kills me !
    25 12:50
    26 13:04 Guy at the RDS says it's only 10 mins to go... I'm thinking, it's easy for you to say that !! This mile seems to go on FOREVER !!!!
    0.2 12.03 Okay, I can see the finish it's so close. Waddle across the finish & hold back the tears when the lady hands me the medal

Overall, I must say, I felt a little sad that I wasn't quicker. I felt the mental struggle was tough, and I just don't know why my hips/glutes were sore from so early on - I haven't experienced this before. However in hindsight, it was my first marathon, so any time is a PB. Also after seeing what happened poor Ais, I'm also glad that I finished strong & in one piece, and that is something to be grateful for. I have some pain in my legs, but nothing that hasn't faded by today so all good.

I knew it was going to be tough, but I didn't realise how tough it was going to be. I had to hold back the tears on so many occasions - tears because I was finally running it, tears cos it all hurt, tears cos I seen someone hugging someone they knew on the sideline, tears cos the energy from the DJ in cheerzone, tears cos I seen my friend, tears again cos I thought about seeing my other friends later and the effort they had made, tears cos I couldn't believe I wasn't nearly finished, and tears cos the lady handed me a medal.

Well done everyone on your massive efforts over the last few months & over the weekend. Thanks to the mentors for the constant checking in. I feel truly humbled to be part of this group to have achieved our goal together. I don't think the last few months would have been as enjoyable without this group.

On Sunday during the race I was thinking, what the HELL was I doing signing up for this. When people asked me afterwards I said, never again. Yesterday, I still was saying never again, but with a little hesitation, and today... well... never say never...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Greentea I was very close to you so. I was right beside boatman for first mile and going through the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

lots of entertaining conversations going on

One I overheard went something like this

Woman - I'm glad i didn't do that last round of shots last night
    Man - yeah I regretted it this morning - couldn't even look at breakfast never mind eat it

I just thought, "what would Mr Guppa say"

The 2 feckers probably still finished ahead of me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

frash wrote: »

Any relation to the Mrs. Guappa I saw holding a sign on Fosters Avenue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Greentea I was very close to you so. I was right beside boatman for first mile and going through the park.

Oh no way :) That's deadly!

I also seen the 2 guys dressed as gladiators at one stage, they must of been roasting!!
    frash wrote: »
    One I overheard went something like this

Woman - I'm glad i didn't do that last round of shots last night
    Man - yeah I regretted it this morning - couldn't even look at breakfast never mind eat it

OMG that is gas!!!!! There was me on the sofa for two days resting up!! I wouldn't be able to do a 5k after that never mind a marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

On Sunday during the race I was thinking, what the HELL was I doing signing up for this. When people asked me afterwards I said, never again. Yesterday, I still was saying never again, but with a little hesitation, and today... well... never say never...

ha ha.. been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

Target 3:59:59
    Actual 4:00:09

Apologies for those that deal in miles, but i just can't get my head around miles.

Race report
    KM’s 1-9 6:27 /km, 6:11 /km, 5:58 /km, 6:00 /km, 6:05 /km, 5:47 /km, 6:00 /km, 5:58 /km, 5:57 /km
    I started off at the back of Wave 2, plan was to go out slow. I found the first km very congested, a lot of people zig zagging around, and throwing away discarded clothes. I was trying to get into a rhythm and settle down to 5:50 pace but it just wasn’t happening. I didn’t panic just kept moving and knew that it would be alright once we got to Phoenix Park. My parents met me here, so it was nice to be able to see them and they saw me before the crowds got too big. I was weary of not going too fast up Chesterfield Avenue, but I needed to get some sub 6 mins kilometres in. I took a gel at 9km.

KM’s 10-21.1 5:49 /km, 5:55 /km, 5:43 /km, 5:36 /km, 5:34 /km, 5:37 /km, 5:38 /km, 5:42 /km, 5:43 /km, 5:32 /km, 5:32 /km, 5:34 /km
    The wall of noise in Castleknock was truly amazing. I started to pick up the pace to get me back on track. I was talking to a few fellow runners just to get a feel of how I was. I began to start taking some high 5’s from kids and some jellies along the way. I took my next gel at 18km. I crossed the halfway point at 2:04 knowing I had a lot of work to do in the second half. My plan was to be here at approx. 2:02 but an additional 2 minutes felt like a lot to claw back. At this point I said, just keep going and to try to forget about the time. It was my first marathon so the main goal was to get to that finish line in one piece.

KM’s 21.1-30 5:32 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:27 /km, 5:34 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:36 /km, 5:36 /km, 5:34 /km
    Here I really found my gear. My brother met me at Crumlin with some grapes. It was a nice distraction and he ran with me for a few metres. I handed out some grapes to other runners, and one guy said they were the nicest grapes he had ever eaten. I took a couple of more and gave them to an athletics club to hand back to some runners. This gave me a boost. My parents met me again around Terenure along with my sister and boyfriend and this was a good surprise. I took a caffeine gel at 28Km near Terenure College with the idea that it would kick in for around Milltown and Roebuck Road. I was feeling strong here and continued to stick at the pace. Now I was starting to overtake people and it was great for the mind.

KM’s 30-36 5:34 /km, 5:37 /km, 5:38 /km, 5:23 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:52 /km, 5:45 /km
    I broke the final 12 kilometres into 2 blocks of 6km. My average pace was getting closer and closer to the magic 5.40km pace. My legs were still feeling good, once I got over the 35km mark I was into unchartered territory but I trusted the training and advice and put that to the front of my mind. The noise around Milltown and Roebuck Road was unreal. People were really starting to cramp up and walk around me, I just kept picking them off and saying to myself I’m good don’t stop. My friends met me at the top of Roebuck Road and he gave me some jellies. I took them and knew it was time to give it everything I had left.

KM’s 36-42.2 5:16 /km, 5:18 /km, 5:09 /km, 5:35 /km, 5:29 /km, 5:10 /km, 4:36 /km
    I surprised myself how strong I was at this point. I had never felt so good at the end of a race before. Normally I am plodding along wishing the finish line closer. But now I was thinking I have a great chance here for the sub 4. I picked up the pace as much as I could, I was overtaking so many people here it did wonders for my head. I came off Nutley Lane and knew that it was now or never. So I went for the line. I definitely zoned out here a bit, I was concentrating on the people in front of me and started to say get passed them, then pick someone else and get passed them. It felt like nobody was overtaking me (but I’m sure there were). I heard my name called out a few times here by my family and friends. Then with about 200 metres to go, I heard my wife and that pushed me all the way to the line. I let out a roar as I crossed the finish line. The announcer read out my name and I knew that I had just completed a marathon.

Post Race
    It was an out of body experience then until I got to the goodie bag. I had no water on me and I was gasping. The medal went on my neck and I was so happy. I had thought of this moment on manys a lonely LSR awake at stupid o’clock on a Saturday morning, then all of a sudden it was done. I had ran a marathon. I collected my bag and sat on the steps somewhere, took out my phone and rang my wife and parents. I immediately burst into tears, it was all very overwhelming. I met up with them and then a few friends from work for a couple of drinks. I couldn’t get near McGrattans front door and the stairs would most definitely have been my downfall.

Future
    I’m going to start up a training log and see how that goes. I want to come up with a plan for next year and try get some PB’s on 10km and Half-Marathons. I always said I would be one and done in Marathons, but now I am thinking I would do another and get that sub 4.

Finally, I would like to thank all the mentors and fellow novices for their advice. I was late joining this thread, but it definitely helped me. I do think I wouldn’t have been able to complete the marathon in the time I did without their advice.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lies, damn lies and people who say they are "one and done" with marathons :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

Lies, damn lies and people who say they are "one and done" with marathons :pac:

I know. I scoffed at people saying you'll do another one. But here I am, maybe with the lottery I won't be able to to do DCM again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

OK here goes, my report for DCM 2019.
    Target: 4:20:00
    Actual: 4:10:07

The day before…
    I had my day planned out, I was taking two of the kids to a match, I was picking up some groceries and I was going to be home relaxing, hydrating and eating my planned meals for the rest of the day. Had lots of visitors, including my best friend who was full of advice and all was well. (Took out a big saga, in case she stumbled upon this site.) I was really stressed out the night before and so so nervous. I had to take something to settle my stomach.

While all of this was going on, I was getting snacks, water and electrolyte tablets ready. And then I left the whole lot at home!

Christmas/Marathon morning…
    Slept for a few hours on Saturday night, I woke up a few times, but it wasn’t a brutal sleep. Into the shower at 6am and hubby made me a small coffee and two slices of toast with peanut butter. I ate while I got my hair dried, gear on etc. I could have been eating sawdust my mouth was so dry and I was very nervous. The time flew and next thing I knew it, my friend was outside. We were dropped outside the Davenport Hotel, used the facilities and then headed over to the bag drop. I left all of my layers on until the very last minute, used the portaloo one last time and again I was ready, wave 3 was going. Good job I hadn’t planned on running with the pacers, they had long gone again I crossed the starting line!

I can never do mile by mile recounts of any race; I’ll do a brief summary of stages.

From the start line to the park was lovely, it tipped along nicely, with pockets of congestion in places. Probably helped that I was at the back of the pack.

Into the Phoenix Park we went and again we were moving nicely. I was dreading Chesterfield Avenue (no real reason why!), but it was great to cruise along. I was very conscious of keeping things conservative at this point. I could spot my gym buddies waving a huge flag from far away and it was amazing to see them at mile 6 and again at mile 9. Had a huge smile on my face and lots of big waves and thumbs up! I overtook the 4:20 pacers before we came back into the park and had a lovely spot within a pack just coasting along. I felt like an athlete!

Out by Chapelizod Gate, passing the 10-mile marker, still feeling good, up Inchicore Road and down the South Circular Road, feeling happy, hydrated, pain free and the pace was fairly consistent.

At the halfway mark, I gave a little cheer and told myself that I was on the home stretch. Woohoo! I wanted to get the Walkinstown Roundabout and see how I was going, but I didn’t think I was going to up the pace, I had decided to try and run an even pace throughout.

Mile 15 comes and goes, and I meet loads of work colleagues who happen to live in this area. Loads of support from the locals and marathon watchers. Just fab.

I had earphones in, but I mostly had my music turned off and I was trying to take everything in; the people, the kids, the signs, the goodies on offer, the tables with photos of the goodies (southside!) and encouragement galore. It was quite an experience!

As I seen the sign welcoming you into Terenure Village, I told myself – you’ve walked home from town, trollied and in your heels; you can do this! I used to live in this part of town in an earlier decade.

Coming up to mile 20 on Milltown Road, I knew my Mum, Sisters, Brother, brothers and sister in law, niece, nephew and my little boys were all waiting for me. Lots of cheers, I gave them big waves, blew a kiss and then I was gone. I couldn’t pull over to the side, there was a large glut of runners at the time and there were so many people lining the side of the roads. I also felt that if I stopped, I would not be able to get going again. A little further up as the road straightened, my husband was there with an electrolyte drink – I gratefully accepted the drink and he shouted 4:07 at me. I shouted back that I would be slowing down a little bit! Up until then I had taken water on board at every water station, sipping at the bottle, but I needed something extra in the second half. I was also taking a gel religiously every 5km. Shortly after I met my family and in or around the 21-mile marker I felt a wave of something hit me – tiredness, tummy was gurgling bad and I was fully sure that I was going to throw up. I also had a bad stitch, most likely from skulling the sweet drink I was given at 20 miles. I walked for 20 seconds or so to do some deep breathing to try and relieve some pain. I told myself to get going again albeit slowly and took what was to be my last gel (number 7!!!) at 22 miles. I was at the edge of the road and some bystanders watched me take a bit of the gel and retch, but thankfully I didn’t throw up. I managed to get it in, with some water and decided that I was not talking any more of those things. Someone in boots, jeans and a lovely long wool coat jumped in to run with someone she knew and proclaimed, “this is grand isn’t it.” I had to sidestep her and nearly took a tumble. Putting all of my weight onto one leg wasn’t a good plan at that stage of the run!

I met friends at every mile from 21 onwards, they were all spaced out and my gym coach at 40km for the final push. It was amazing to see them and hear them cheering me on.

The rest of the marathon passed by in a blur, I kept going, weaving in and out as I needed to, focused only on getting to the finish. It was like a scene from the walking dead, people stumbling, others hunched over, some walking, lots cramping, a woman bleeding from her forehead and other disasters that I won’t describe. I too felt wrecked, my stomach was in bits, I still had a bit of a stitch and I was fed up of my shorts riding up. I was waiting and waiting for Heartbreak Hill and it didn’t even register with me, I was literally in a daze.

All of a sudden, I could see the finish line and a sign saying 400m to go, but it felt like 2km. I emptied what was left in the tank, literally fumes and made it onto the mat and finally over the line in a time of 4:10:07. I clung onto the barrier, I felt sick and the colour drained from my face. A lovely finisher helped me to steady myself and I was brought into the tent before I fainted. A drop of tea, water and a seat helped greatly. I phoned my husband, collected my medal, top and goodie bag and walked/stumbled for an age to meet him and the rest of my family. They had a pint of chocolate milk for me – OMG it was divine. My Mum and sister headed off home via Dundrum. My youngest child puked all over himself and the car on the way to Dublin that morning. Once he seen me, he was whisked off to Dundrum and then home. Truth be told, he was more excited about seeing Batman than me!

Friends had pre-arranged a spot to meet for a drink/bite to eat post-race. I eventually managed to get over to them I was too late for food, but wasn’t hungry anyway so I had two Imodium, tea and water. Later on that evening I had the nicest burger ever, chocolate and a few glasses of wine with friends. Bliss. I’m sorry I didn’t make it to McGrattans, I’d say it would have been closing time again I got there, I was walking so gingerly.

Postmortem
    Feeling a bit wheezy/chesty since Sunday and I am so so tired. Almost feels like jetlag! Legs are a bit sore and stiff too! I will be taking it very handy this week and I’m aiming to get out for a little jog, much later in the week.

If there is a next time I would like to train and run with someone with the same target. I had you guys to train virtually with and I adore you all for it! I did however miss having someone with me on the course.

I would hope to be more organised for the next marathon – not starting the race with only two slices of toast in my stomach and nothing in my bag for a pre or post-race snack or drink.

I wouldn’t have been able to complete DCM 2019 without this group of wonderful people. Mentors, Mr. Guappa, Huzzah and ReeReeG, you have all been so giving with your time and advice this year; on boards and strava etc. Honestly, you are all amazing and I will never be able to thank you enough. Will this thread stay alive?!

In June 2018 I decided that I would try and get better with the old running – at the time I couldn’t make it to a 2km marker without stopping. That September I made it around the DCM half marathon without stopping – I was slow, but I didn’t stop! I was a spectator at the DCM 2018 marathon, and I swore I was going to give 2019 a go. And I did and I made it around. I’m so proud of myself, I’m proud of us all for making it through.

Interesting fact: One of my lads though the cheering zone icons on the map were puking zones. I don’t think he was too far wrong!!

Race splits in KM
    1 5:29
    2 5:46
    3 5:57
    4 6:00
    5 6:10
    6 6:01
    7 5:40
    8 5:41
    9 5:53
    10 5:42
    11 6:09
    12 5:53
    13 5:48
    14 5:34
    15 5:29
    16 5:39
    17 5:45
    18 5:48
    19 5:48
    20 5:44
    21 5:51
    22 5:53
    23 5:55
    24 5:57
    25 5:46
    26 5:57
    27 5:53
    28 5:57
    29 5:58
    30 6:01
    31 5:58
    32 6:22
    33 6:08
    34 6:00
    35 6:25
    36 6:15
    37 5:58
    38 6:05
    39 5:55
    40 6:06
    41 6:04
    42 5:45
    0.2 5:18

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Race report

Target time 3:55

I was in wave 4, which was a misjudgement I knew even before the race started as my times were more wave 1/2 times but decided to stick where I was regardless. Anyway dropped my bag and made my way to the start line as I wanted to be near the front of the wave. However once in the holding area I realised I'd forgotten to take off my pants which were too good to discard so had to tear back to the bag area and put them in my bag. Back to holding area then and wave had started to move fwd. No problem really as I could move away up along the footpath towards the front anyway but with all this it really disrupted my warmup routine which played on my mind for the first half of the race.

Miles 1 - 13
    Had often run 13 miles in training but they never felt as bad as this to be honest. Pain in hips, glutes, back. Even stopped during first Mile to stretch my back as I'd forgotten to do so during warmup. Had to check myself a few times in first few miles too and through the park to slow pace down to 8:30 min miles. Upped it a bit then through Castleknock but coming to the halfway point I wasn't feeling great to be honest. Pace had slowed to 8:30min miles

Miles 13 - 21
    Started off bad but realised that I needed to bank some time ahead of mile 21/22 so upped pace again mostly making use of any slight downhill but coming to roebuck I knew my times were back on track at 7:50s per mile.

Miles 22 - 26
    Because I started in wave 4 I was passing people all day and I had just caught up with a big bunch of people which turned out to be the wave 4 pacers which was annoying as it was going to be awkward trying to pass them but fortunately we just turned on the N11 so I could run just outside the cones and move up easily.
    Really started to feel fresh at this stage and benefit from the banked slow times earlier. From there to the finish I really felt good and ran my 4 fastest miles of the whole race circa 7:40min miles.

Finishing time 3:33:35

Have to be happy with that really. Highlight was going through the tunnel and some guy did the uggy uggy uggy thing. Great craic! Very happy with my first marathon. Great fun although I did find a few times that given I was mostly running at the edge of the road that supporters were slow to move out of the way causing me to crash twice but it can be forgiven considering the amazing support they provide. Also as someone else has already mentioned I was hanging for water around the later stations which seemed to be abandoned. But anyway overall a brilliant race.

I was a latecomer to this thread but have to say it was a valuable source of info, advice and tips and motivation almost daily once I did find it. A huge thank you to all participants in this thread esp the mods. Congrats all, a huge achievement to get to the starting line of a marathon in my opinion. Never mind finish it. Well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Really enjoying all the race reports - well done everyone. FWIW, here's mine:

Pre-race
    Had a fairly relaxed day on Saturday, did two miles in the morning with a few strides in the middle which felt great. The advice I got from the old hands in the club was to eat two dinners the day before, so I had pasta with baby potatoes and pesto for lunch. Went to my cousin's wedding around 4:30, frantically ate a Mullerice in the car before going in when I realized I wouldn't be getting any food for a while! Dinner was served around 6:15 so I gratefully left - I later found out that the dinner had gone on until 10:45 so I'm really glad I didn't stay. Got home to my dinner of chicken and rice, had set the rice cooker on a timer so it was all waiting for me. Another Mullerice (thanks, Expo!) before bed at 10 o'clock and set the alarm for 6:20.

Day of
    Had got everything ready the day before, so I ate breakfast (Weetabix and coffee), got ready and left the house around 7:50. My husband dropped me at Holles Street and I started to head down towards the bag drop before a frantic phone call from him to let me know I'd left my water bottle (containing Zero tablet solution) in the car! He'd managed to find a parking space nearby so he came running after me with the bottle. I was getting a bit hungry so I took a gel. Proceeded to the bag drop and then to the Portaloos - I didn't have to wait too long and there was even toilet paper. I kept on my disposable fleece, tracksuit bottoms and woolly hat and gloves, all bought from Dunnes last week, and I was very happy I did because it was freezing! While waiting in Wave 3 by the canal I took off the tracksuit bottoms, but I kept the fleece, hat and gloves on until into the race.

Mile 1 - 9:16
    I started a good bit back in Wave 3 and it was a good strategy because the pace was fairly relaxed. Got rid of the fleece on Cuffe Street. My pace band ("Very conservative" start, negative split, finish in 3:57:30 to allow for running more than 26.2 miles) was telling me 9:22 for this mile but I ended up going a little bit faster. It was only a few seconds though so I wasn't too worried.

Mile 2 - 9:02
    Nice downhill. Pace band said 9:17 so again I gained a few seconds.

Mile 3 - 9:30
    This was my slowest mile. I jogged really slowly up the hill through Stoneybatter. Got cheers from my husband and pals who were marshalling. I was passed by three of my clubmates, one of them suggested we run together but they were going much faster than me so I said no, I'd hang back.

Mile 4 - 9:12
    Threw away my hat and gloves on the North Circular Road as I had planned to take my first gel at mile 3 and couldn't do it with gloves on. Felt a sharp pain in my little toe (luckily not the one I had the infection in a few weeks ago) and cursed myself for cutting the nail that morning (I noticed a sharp bit while I was putting my socks on).

Mile 5 - 9:16
    Lost a bit of time coming into the park and on the turns leading to Chesterfield, and I was worrying about my toe. But still roughly in line with the pace band, which had 9:17 for this mile. Once I got back into the groove on Chesterfield I still felt like I was cruising along. I saw my in-laws at the Phoenix monument and also my cousin who lives nearby - got big cheers from both.

Mile 6 - 9:10
    Toe still hurting. Should I stop and see if it was cut, and put on a plaster? (I had a plaster in my flip belt.) In the end I decided the pain wasn't bad enough yet, and if I stopped and took off my shoe it might be difficult to get started again. Cruised out of the park and towards Castleknock.

Mile 7 - 9:21
    My pace band said 9:25 for this mile, the second slowest of the whole race. I shortened my stride, used my arms and jogged slowly up the hill, still feeling OK. Luckily I'd run this bit as part of last week's LSR so I was prepared for the hill to continue after the corner at Myos!

Mile 8 - 8:42
    The first real test. The pace band said 8:48 - would I be able to speed up to well under 9-minute miles after all the months of slow training? Yes, the steep hill meant I sped up no problem and got to 8:42, still feeling great. I think this gave me so much confidence that I'd be able to cope with the faster miles later in the race.

Mile 9 - 8:51
    Another fast mile. I had to take a gel here and that slowed me down a bit, but I made it up on the Upper Glen Road with little effort.

Mile 10 - 8:41
    Going through Chapelizod I checked in with myself - toe was feeling better, breathing still easy and not at all laboured. My legs were pretty stiff though and starting to get a bit sore (hamstrings).

Mile 11 - 9:12
    This part could have been a bit relentless as it was long and straight, with not much in the way of support. But everyone was still in such a good mood. When we went under the long bridge (more of a tunnel) on St. Laurence Road people started shouting "Uggi Uggi Uggi" and everyone around me roared back "Oy Oy Oy". With the echo under the bridge, the resulting noise was monumental, and I just couldn't stop smiling.

Mile 12 - 8:56

Mile 13 - 9:12
    I took a sip from my water bottle in Dolphin's Barn and it went down the wrong way, which resulted in a coughing fit. I tried not to stop as I was worried that my legs would stiffen up if I did, but it took me a while to recover. Then we hit the drag on the Crumlin Road. Between those two things I had my first mile that was substantially outside the planned time (9:06). I knew I'd banked a few seconds on several of the earlier miles, though, so I wasn't too worried. Took my next gel just as we reached mile 13.

Mile 14 - 9:20
    I hit halfway just after 2:00:00 by my Garmin - the plan was 2:00:13 so I was happy that I was within the planned time. I was still off pace (this mile was supposed to be 9:15) and feeling discombobulated after my coughing fit, as I'm a bit asthmatic and I was worried that I'd start to wheeze. I had my inhaler with me but I didn't want to have to start fiddling around with it. So I decided to do a body check-in (I've been doing mindfulness classes recently!) and realized that my throat and lungs felt completely better - it was only my brain overthinking things as usual. I reckoned there was no reason not to go back to running as fast as I had been before, so I stepped it up a bit.

Mile 15 - 8:55
    Back under the planned time (8:59) so feeling relieved.

Mile 16 - 8:49
    I found myself really cruising after the Walkinstown roundabout. I'd done this bit three times in my LSRs so I knew I could relax and keep up a good pace with not too much extra effort. My breathing was still relaxed but my legs were increasingly stiff and starting to hurt a bit. I was still able to run fine but, catastrophising as usual, I wondered if it might be my legs that would let me down, rather than my fitness. I've never had a cramp during a race before and was really hoping this wouldn't be the time.

Mile 17 - 9:10
    I caught up with a club mate of mine at the water stop and she suggested we run together for a couple of miles, but to be honest I didn't really want to, as I knew she was going a bit slower than me and I felt like I'd really found my stride. But I thought it would be nice to have some company, so I kept with her for a mile or so. Having someone to chat to did distract me so I didn't notice the bit of uphill on the Terenure 5 route, which was good, but I had to slow down and wait for her a couple of times. I apologized for going too fast, but she said it was fine and told me to go on ahead, so I did. But I was a few seconds slower than the pace band again for this mile.

Mile 18 - 8:42
    Made up the time on the downhill into Terenure Village. I know we're not really supposed to chase lost seconds, but I reckoned that was more relevant earlier in the race - by mile 18 it probably matters less! I'd kept my caffeine gel for mile 18, with the hope that it would kick in by mile 20-21, when I'd really need it, so I took it here.

Mile 19 - 8:48
    Saw my brother-in-law and his fiancée on Orwell Road - I was looking at my pace band so I would've missed them if they hadn't roared my name! That gave me a bit of a boost and I enjoyed the rest of Orwell Road and Orwell Park.

Mile 20 - 8:50
    As we turned onto Milltown Road I realized I had caught the four-hour pacers - I couldn't believe it, as they had seemed miles ahead of me earlier in the race. I just kept running at my own pace but of course I ran into the back of the group just before the viaduct, where the course got very narrow. There were elbows and feet everywhere! I really don't know how people run in such a tight group for the entire thing. I met a guy from my club who I didn't know so we introduced ourselves and chatted for a bit. But as soon as the road widened I sped up a bit and managed to get past the group.

Mile 21 - 8:37
    As we were past 20 miles I reckoned I could take the brakes off - my pace band said 9:02 for this mile. I'd stationed my husband along Clonskeagh Road with a full water bottle to exchange for my empty one. Luckily he was standing exactly where we'd planned (using Google Street View the night before!). I was running in the gutter on the far left so I wouldn't block anyone when I slowed down, but we managed the exchange and a quick hug with no problems and then I was off again. Seeing him kept me going when the hills began after the 21-mile mark.

Mile 22 - 9:04
    As others have mentioned, the main issue around here was trying not to bump into walkers - there were so many! My legs started to feel more and more stiff - I think the caffeine was wearing off, but it had done its job well. I had another gel in my flip belt, but I reckoned I could get through to the end without it. Turning onto Roebuck Road I was definitely feeling a bit crap - I still managed to stay under the pace band time (9:08) but only just. Luckily it was just stiffness and although my muscles were aching, there wasn't any sharp pain or cramps. I also noticed my back and neck were starting to get quite sore.

Mile 23 - 8:51
    Heartbreak Hill only seemed to take a second, and then we were on the downhill on Fosters Avenue. It was hard to make up time because of the crowds and the number of walkers, but I knew the four-hour pacers were behind me and that was a great comfort. I noticed that my brain was getting quite addled - I'd check the pace on my pace band and then promptly forget what it said and have to check again ten seconds later.

Mile 24 - 8:50
    Although I was still feeling stiff and sore, I felt I could keep going for another while. I knew I was a few seconds off my pace band (8:46 for this mile, 8:45 for the previous one) but I wasn't worried because of my banked time and the pacers being behind me. I started saying to myself that there was a good chance that I would actually make my sub-4 goal, but I still couldn't believe it. I just made a conscious decision to try and enjoy the rest of the race.

Mile 25 - 9:02
    After we turned at the Merrion Centre, it really became a slog. I was stiff, sore and unable to keep my legs turning over as fast as they had been. Still, I was only 4 seconds off my pace band time. I knew my parents and my two-year-old would be at Ballsbridge so I just concentrated my mind on getting there and kept putting one foot in front of the other.

Mile 26 - 9:05
    Saw my parents and daughter, they gave me a big cheer and I waved like mad despite the pain! Then a few metres after, on the other side of the road, I spotted my best friend cheering me on. I'd seen her cheering earlier in the race but I didn't know she'd be at Ballsbridge as well, so between those two I got a great boost. Then it was back to putting one foot in front of the other and just trying and trying to keep going. I tried to smile to help my body to relax and while it worked earlier in the race, it wasn't working so well here!

Looking back, I think these last two miles were where I was most amazed at the effect of my training. I was worried throughout the 16 weeks that I'd be stuck at my "slow" training pace (~10:30-10:40 min miles) forever, unable to step up a gear. But on the actual day, even during the two miles where I suffered the most, and after doing another 24 miles before that, I was still running a whole minute and a half faster than my training pace. That's when I realized the truth of the phrase "Trust the process." And I have the mentors to thank for that - if it hadn't been for their advice to slow, slow, slow down during training, this whole thing might have gone very differently.

FINISH - 2:35
    Passed the 26 mile mark a good bit after my watch buzzed for 26 miles. Since just before we reached the canal I had started to feel like I might get sick, and I was just trying to hang on until the finish line. I did actually slow down a bit in an effort to spare my stomach - after all, I knew I had already done enough and I would get my sub-4 either way. About 100 metres from the finish line a girl stopped in front of me and started to throw up - I really hope she managed to get started again and made it across the line! I just kept going, and then I was on the blue carpet and I heard the announcer calling the name of my club as I approached. I did remember to look up and smile instead of looking down at my watch as I crossed the line. One of the organisers from my club was there and he came over and gave me a hug - I just collapsed in his arms. I think a lot of other people did the same, I'd say he was very sweaty by the time the race was over!

Afterwards
    I stumbled along to get my medal and t-shirt - could barely walk but there was nowhere to sit down, and I didn't think I'd be able to get up again if I did. When we finally reached the goody bags I opened my bottle of water and drank the whole thing at once - I was really tired of the taste of my Zero tablet solution by that time and couldn't face drinking any more of it. But that didn't do my tummy any good - there were more people vomiting in the bag drop, and that didn't help either! Luckily I met a pal from my club and we walked through together, encouraging each other to keep going and not be sick! I got through to my husband on the phone after picking up my bag and arranged to meet him at McGrattans. To be honest I was in no state to go to McGrattans but with my addled brain, all I could think of was sticking to the plan that I'd made originally. I didn't have the bandwidth to do anything different. But I should have turned the other way up Baggot Street and met my parents because they had their car there. Anyway, I stumbled through the crowds to McGrattans and by the time I got there I was shaking with the cold and nausea. I had a full change of clothes in the bag drop bag so I went into the bathrooms and changed. But when I came back out the crowds were overwhelming and I couldn't imagine how I could find anyone I knew. There was no one from my club there (I had been expecting some) and the only person I knew from the Boards group probably wouldn't be there for another hour as she was in the wave behind me. I didn't fancy asking everyone if they were my Internet friends! so I hung around outside waiting for my husband and as soon as he arrived I had to leave as I was still freezing and starting to get really hungry!

So apologies, boards people, I really did want to meet you all, and particularly thank the mentors in person, but my brain just wasn't working properly! I hope we'll get to meet again another time.

Reading all the other race reports is a real rollercoaster of highs and lows. I really feel for all the people whose races didn't go well, particularly Ais_Byrne7, Bananaleaf and DBB - hope you're all relaxing and recovering now. And I'm so happy for those who did, even though I never met most of you! I know I wasn't the most prolific poster in this group but I followed every post on it and tried to take on board all the advice. Mr. Guappa, I thought you were a tough cookie at the start, but I modified my plan based on your advice, and I'm glad I did. And Huzzah! and ReeReeG, you always had great (and quick) answers to all my questions and meanderings. So thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    *Sorry for the essay*

I finished my first marathon yesterday in a time of 5:16:10. The time wasn't what I had hoped for and wasn't what I had trained for, but that doesn't bother me. I do, however, sit here this morning with mixed feelings
    • I feel like I have achieved something, although this has yet to sink in I think.
    • I feel grateful that I was able to be part of the day.
    • I feel very proud of the grit and determination I showed yesterday because from mile 14 it was NOT easy for me.
    • But I'm going to be very honest and say that I also feel resentful of how yesterday went for me, because I really don't feel that I deserved to have the day I had.

Here is my race report for DCM 2019. My heart and soul poured out on a page. Apologies in advance for its length.

The final week of the taper was so difficult for me mentally. I was panicking a lot and not sleeping well. I was feeling pain in all different parts of my legs.
    Pain where there shouldn't have been pain. There was never pain before.
    Why is it here now? Is it in my head? It must be in my head. However, the final 2 days before DCM a calm descended on me. I was ready. The night before, I got a great sleep.

The morning of the race I was feeling okay. Had breakfast, although it was tough to get it into me. Porridge and coffee, then a banana and a half before starting the race. A lot of hanging around at the beginning but I'd loads of layers on so I was warm enough. A couple of selfies with Fraggle and met up with DBB and Kemcloughlin. We were ready to #runthistown. :D:D

The rough plan was to get to half way in 2.5hrs and avail of the natural negative split that is the Dublin course :rolleyes:

miles 1 - 7 (11:31, 11:28, 11:52, 11:37, 11:55, 11:40, 11:40)
    I felt so excited as we passed under the start line. I was concentrating really hard on keeping the pace 11:30min/m or more here because I had remembered the advice given to me so many times: "Don't start off too fast". I wasn't going to do that - I wasn't going to be the casualty at mile 20 who tore off at the start and was like the walking dead later on. Kept checking the pace. All good. Kept checking in with how I was feeling. All good. I was also concentrating hard on remembering to fuel every 3miles - I had learned from Longwood a few weeks ago how the excitement can result in you forgetting to take a gel at the right time. All gels taken at exactly the right time. Coming off the North Circular road and into the park was lovely. I had some supporters planning to be at mile 5 so looking out for them took my mind of the Chesterfield Ave drag. Spotted them and gave them a huge wave :) Felt the smallest amount of discomfort in my glutes here. The smallest amount. More supporters were lining the Castleknock gate and they got some great photos of me. Castleknock was incredible. I felt like a superstar!

miles 8 - 12 (11:02, 11:00, 10:57, 11:37, 11:16)
    Miles 8 and 9 through the park flew by. My watch was beeping for 9miles before the 9 mile marker was in sight :eek: But again, I had remembered not to worry - we were going to be running more than the 26.2 today and the mile markers aren't positioned exactly accurate to the mile. Decided to gently up the pace as we were past the 7mile mark. Felt good. In all the reading I did about the course, and after all the warnings I received about Roebuck Hill - St Laurence Road never once got an honourable mention. A hill which - in my view - is far far worse than Roebuck. Maybe because it is so early in the race? It doesn't help that it is followed by Sarsfield Rd which felt like a bit of a drag to me. Mental note to self: Maybe the flat canal wasn't the best place to be doing most of my LSRs.
    Heading down the Inchicore Rd I was approaching unknown terriroty. In my head, miles 12 to 20 were going to be somewhat of a no-man's land until I reached Clonskeagh, so I planned to just zone in, focus and get there. Somewhere on that South Circular Rd I felt a sensation around my knee that I had never felt, in all my training. Not a pain. Discomfort. I checked my watch.
    Pace was fine. I was feeling fine. It can't be that. I'll ease up a little bit anyway, just in case. I was later to learn that this was most likely posture related. More on this in a while.

miles 13 - 20 (11:43, 12:29, 12:12, 12:05, 12:22, 12:36, 13:05, 12:46)
    This block was excruciating. The discomfort in my knee area had simultaneously traveled down to my calf and up to my quad and hip flexor. What the HELL is going on? I'm getting really annoyed now and even a bit upset. It wasn't supposed to be like this. It isn't fair. I trained so hard for Dublin 2019. I really did. I gave it my life for 5months. I didn't just follow the training plan religiously but I cut out alcohol and improved my nutrition, I upped my hydration and slept more. I took up Yoga. I stretched and foam rolled. I got regular sports massages every 6-8 weeks. I gave it 5months of my life and more and it betrays me in the most spectacular fashion. And at MILE 12! I know they say to expect the unexpected, but I never expected this. I was so confident that I wouldn't blow up - I was almost smug about it. It wasn't pace related. I kept saying this to myself over and over. Sort of like assuring myself that this wasn't my fault. I was so mad, but there was no time to be mad. This marathon was giving me shít and it needed to be put back in its box! But how? I passed through half way in 2:31 but I knew already that a negative split was not on the cards for me. Plan A was to be sub 5 - I knew that was off the table. Plan B was to enjoy the day - I knew this was most likely not going to happen either. So, it became simply about survival. I wasn't experienced enough to know if I should have stopped for a stretch or not at this point. It was so early on in my race that I knew if I stopped and it got worse, I was done for. A DNF? I've never DNF'd. I'm not starting today. What now? A and B goals are gone. I didn't have a C goal in mind. What can I hope for at this stage? To not stop running and finish. Strong if I can. So that was what I did. I didn't stop. I pulled back the pace. It genuinely took spades of grit and dogged determination. I knew I was strong-willed, but I even amazed myself yesterday. I saw ReeReeG and Huzzah! at Milltown and ladies - if I thought you'd let me, I would have collapsed at yer feet, cried my eyes out and quit. And ... I'm crying now as I type this. The first emotional release since crossing the finish line yesterday :(

miles 21 - 23 (12:43, 13:17, 13:25)
    One day during the training block, all those weeks ago, I headed out to Roebuck Hill. I ran it and remember thinking that it was "easy". I thought it might be slightly different though, after 20miles. It wasn't. It was still relatively easy. Foster Ave - the part of the course I had visualised since back at mile 1 - the lovely downhill I had been looking forward to - was agony on my leg. This was bizzare! I had reached Foster Ave and I was asking for more hills :eek: I was holding a banana and a bottle of water at this stage and I had the life squeezed out of both as I battled through the pain. Every so often I could feel the leg wanting to give way. If I changed my running pattern at all I would surely hit the ground. I recall telling myself - as I came up the UCD flyover - "You're probably in big trouble when you stop after the finish line". I was going to be well over the 5hr mark. I wasn't disappointed with myself. There was nothing more I could have asked of my body that day. It didn't let me down. The problem was that in all my preparation to keep the pace right and the nutrition appropriate, I never once checked my posture. My inexperience got the better of me.

miles 24 & 25 (12:12, 12:15)
    As I passed St Vincent's Hospital I thought that if I walked in there and got them to chop my leg off, It'd have been less painful. It was awful. Resentment rose in me again. I didn't deserve this. It wasn't fair. I was now running in a sea of walkers. I felt a bit pathetic. I was trying my hardest, struggling so much, yet I was just about keeping pace with walkers. I quickened as much as I could. I met a friend at Merrion Square who was thrilled to catch me (I think she thought she had missed me as I was quite behind my schedule) I poured my heart out to her as I ran up Embassy Road and she ran alongside me on the path. She remarked that she couldn't keep up with me and here I was heading into mile 26, running and talking! She told me to go for it and I did. Feck the pain. One mile left. Lets go. Get your strong finish at least.

mile 26.2 (11:34 for mile 26)
    I passed so many people out on that last mile. I went for it. I had actually made it home, having spent over half the time in agony. So many would have had similar setbacks. Not all would finish. I am finishing. Of that I can be proud. The blue carpet took forever to appear, but when it did I bolted for the finish. I must have looked amazing coming in. Bittersweet. I didn't feel amazing. I felt robbed. I can't keep saying it wasn't my fault. Ultimately, it was. I was being sensible and I was focused and paying attention, but I took my eye off the ball with the posture and I paid for it. When I crossed the finish line and I stopped, I was able to keep myself upright. Success. It was a very slow and painful walk to meet my other half at Nassau St and by the time I got there, I just didn't have the strength to head back to McGrattans. There was also the matter of a very lonely doggy to head back home to :)

One thing though, when I think back to how awfully wrong it went for me, a 5:16 finish is not too shabby at all. It's less than 20mins shy of my sub 5hr target. And, as we agreed in the weeks before DCM, what's 20mins in the scheme of things when you're talking about a marathon? I have no doubt that had it not been for the sensible advice I was plied with from Mr Guappa, ReeReeG and Huzzah! I wouldn't have kicked into survival mode as quick. Take a bow, mentors. You are amazing!

Like I said previously, later that evening, in the pub, (I went to the pub for a pint :eek: ) doing the post mortem with my club mates, one of the coaches remarked that it sounded like a posture issue. He believes that it sounds like I could have been leaning forward, thus stacking and putting too much weight on the legs and that it took its toll by mile 12. I would be inclined to agree with this. On my training runs, I would check in with my posture every so often, and when I did, it always needed correcting. The fact that I never checked once during DCM says it all really.

I'm currently sitting in bed, drinking coffee and looking at my finishers top hanging up on the wardrobe handle. I did #runthistown and I am a proud finisher, but Dublin and I now have unfinished business :cool:

As someone once said: "I'll be back"

Bananaleaf, I am absolutely gutted that you didn't get the race you deserved. You were the heart and soul of the novice thread this year and if anyone deserved the race of their dreams it was you. Unfortunately that didn't happen for you, but your reaction in the face of such pain, disappointment and anger was astounding.

I thought your training and dedication was amazing, but your race was on another level altogether. I'm in awe. Comic Book Guy nailed it on your log - "I really doubt anyone in the entire field ran a braver race."

I hope that someday you have your revenge on the marathon, but for now, please know that you truly are an inspiration.

DCM 2019

Goodness, where do I start. I signed up for DCM last November. Last years 2018 novices thread really inspired me. I was just after breaking my hand in a running fall and whilst recuperating I decided I'd give it a go, and what a journey it has been!

My training went really well up until week 8. I ended up taking four weeks out with tendon issues and got back in at week 12. It really was an emotional rollercoaster at the time. I had almost given up on my chances of being fit and ready. Another tendon issue flared up with two weeks to go. My leg still niggled right up to yesterday. I took a paracetamol at the start and at half way just in case. Thankfully it didn't give me any bother.

I had a great night's sleep and woke five minutes before my alarm at 5.40. Had breakfast and got ready. I foam rolled my sore leg for a bit and headed down to get the bus that our club had organised. The banter and excitement was great!

Bananaleaf was with me, she was on the club bus as well. We made our way to toilets, baggage, toilets and to wave 4 (I dropped back a wave based on my revised target time). It was great having company beforehand to chat and make the time go quicker. We also met DBB and kemcloughlin in the wave section. We were positioned quite a good bit back from the red 5 hour pacers. I've never ran with pacers before but it was nice having them in sight and hopefully to reel back in later on. At 9:48 off we went!!!

Mile 1 to 7
    (Paces of 11:08, 11:28, 11:49, 11:28, 11:37, 11:22, 11:19)

I was conscious of taking the pace handy as advised for this stretch. It was hard! The crowd support was unbelievable. I loved the run up Chesterfield Ave, the crowd spread out nicely and it was a lovely bit of quite time between the madness of North Circular and Castleknock. I randomly came across my aunt in Castleknock. She didn't know I was running so it was a nice surprise for both of us :) My leg felt a bit stiff for the first 3 miles. I took a painkiller just in case. After 3 miles it loosened up and I felt good!

Mile 8 to 18
    (Paces of 10:36, 10:52, 10:46, 11:34, 11:19, 11:28, 11:58, 11:40, 11:28, 11:28, 11:22)

I picked up my pace as planned after Castleknock. I was nicely warmed up and felt good. The support along the way was just amazing. Came across an old college friend supporting in Crumlin and a neighbour in Terenure which was just lovely. I ate a few too many jellies on this stretch :) My tummy wasn't liking them and felt a small bit queasy. I stuck to water and gels after that :) I had reeled the 5hr red balloon pacers in at the half way mark unintentionally at 02:28:40. This worried me as I wondered did I do the first half too fast. I decided to slow pace a bit to conserve energy for Milltown and beyond. The red balloons bobbed off ahead in the distance. I picked up a 5hr pacing band at the expo. It was a great help in guiding me on where I should be at each mile. It kept me focused.

Mile 19 to 26.2
    (Paces of 11:25,11:46, 11:34, 12:05, 10:49, 10:41, 10:34, 10:49, 9:56)

I was so excited to see the family at Milltown. The kids cute faces and excited waves when they saw me coming!! I took it easy going up Milltown hill. I was more worried about that stretch than heartbreak hill cause I am familiar with Milltown. It was funny heading up towards UCD, I had no idea where or what Heartbreak hill was. At one stage I thought I might have already ran past it and then I saw the "wall" signs :) The hill was fine. The sticky road from all the spilt energy drinks annoyed me more!! Once onto the flyover I just picked up the pace and went for home. I gave it my all on that stretch. I overtook so many people and honestly don't think a single person passed me in the last 3 miles. Exactly the finish I wanted. Came in at 04:57:55.

A big thanks for all the support on this thread especially to Mr. Guappa, Huzzah and ReeReeG. It's been invaluable and thoroughly enjoyable. I can't wait to read all the race reports. Sorry about not making McGrattans. Hope ye had a great night!

Congratulations to the novice marathoners of 2019!!

That was a really well-judged race. You knew when to back off, and knew when to push on. You were very watchful and sensible in your training, especially when the injury flared up and it can't have been easy sitting by watching others train while your marathon dream potentially slipped through your fingers. Thankfully, it all came good and you ran a great race, with a super finish. Massive congratulations :)

Dublin Marathon Race Report

Pre-Race
    There was so much good advice on Boards over the course of this plan and I learned a huge amount. This really came into play for marathon week, I was conscious of sensibly eating carbs, salty foods, not eating too much protein the day before, not drinking too late the evening before or drinking too much the morning of the marathon. I suffer quite badly from dehydration, so it was a worry for me, I picked up some Precision Hydration tablets at the Expo and I feel this was really worthwhile too, much higher concentration than zero tabs (I think they were recommended in a YouTube vid shared to the novices what's app group). I hadn't slept well Friday night, but slept pretty soundly Saturday and woke up feeling good around 5.25. 

I'd had a touch of man-flu on Thursday too but that seemed to pass quickly (probably maranoia too). Purple hydration tablet in the morning, one tab split over two 250ml bottles, the second one that I brought to the start and sipped until I finished it around 4 miles in. Bagels with peanut butter and some proteinella for breakfast, with a banana and a double Nespresso. Not eating too late and eating clean meant my stomach was ready and cleared out well before leaving the house, which was a great bonus, it's always a worry for me. Got the gear on, including hideous luminous yellow visor and black arm-warmers I'd picked up at the expo.

Left the house a bit later than planned at about 7.40. Handy enough getting into town, although it was a bit confusing if we'd be able to get to our planned parking just off Kildare St (work spaces). Made it anyway, parked up and started heading to the start area by about 8.10. Left my wide at the barriers and arrange to see her in the first few miles and again at Dolphin's Barn. Bag drop was hectic but nice and quick and slowly strolled up towards wave 2. Queued for the portaloos near the front of the wave and by the time I got in and out it was pretty much go time. Stripped off the hoody and trackies, and strolled along at the back of the wave towards the start. I was surprised at how relaxed I was and really enjoyed the atmosphere and chats with a few people along the way. 

The Race
    Before I knew it Wave 2 was on the move. I ate a little energy bar on the way to the start. I stayed well at the back, didn't waste any energy starting to run before the line, I knew most in this wave were going to be setting off quicker than me. I had my pace band and all the advice from here so I made sure to keep the start easy and controlled. 

Mile 1 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.22)
    By starting easy and at the back of the wave there was little or no congestion, didn't have to slow at all really. Pace felt ridiculously easy and I found it creeping under 9 now and again so I had to slow myself down a few times. I was determined to run the racing line as much as possible too so was tight to the inside of the bends as much as possible. Great buzz all along here.

Mile 2 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.16)
    With the big downhill in this stage I didn't mind speeding up a little more that the pace band. Had a text from the wife before the start to say she's be at Ellis Quay so was looking at for her at that point (yes I carried my phone, Decathlon marathon shorts were brilliant). More great support all along here. Spotted my wife just over the bridge and slowed for a quick peck. First little boost and feeling great. 

Mile 3 (Target: 9.29 Actual: 9.33)
    Hill was steeper than I expected and I was happy to slow things down and not get carried away. Didn't bother with the water station as I was carrying my bottle from the start. Some good support in parts, quite a few twists and turns too. Watch was already beeping a good bit before the markers. I think there was about 17 seconds difference between my pace band and the 3 mile marker. I think the whole way it was between about 12 and 20 seconds difference. 

Mile 4 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.19)
    Into the park now and quite a twisty section. Trying to follow the racing line still, pretty quiet support wise, quite peaceful really. Still feeling really good and controlled. Took my first gel just before the 4 mile mark. 

Mile 5 (Target: 9.22 Actual: 9.20)
    First of the straight miles up Chesterfield, some pockets of support but again pretty quiet. Had a chat about the lovely conditions and the joy of running in the park with a guy along here, he was running quicker than me but his target was 4.30, I've a feeling he might have had a tough finish. Despite starting in Wave 2 I didn't feel like I was going backwards at any stage, yes, there was probably more people passing me than I was passing but it wasn't enough to be disheartening or to make me want to speed up. 

Mile 6 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.18)
    Water station along here, so I took a bottle and dropped in a half an orange hydration tablet. A bit fiddly getting it out of the Ziploc, especially with gloves on, but got there in the end. A few more supporters and got a nice cheer and an offer of a bottle of water from one of my workmates. I was looking forward to getting to the cheering zone at Myo's now.

Mile 7 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.19)
    Lovely stretch through Castleknock with the live band on stage and then the huge crowds at Myo's. Loved acknowledging the crowds, got a bit emotional for the first of quite a few times! It's amazing seeing all the people out supporting, the different causes, the different motivations for runners, it's amazing to be a part of. Ate another little energy bar here.

Mile 8 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.55)
    The first of the downhill miles and a chance to open the legs a bit. Second gel at mile 8. Feeling really good, based on the mile markers I was a bit behind the pace band, even though I was on schedule by the watch so I didn't mind being a bit quicker than plan. Didn't force things at all, just let gravity do the work. Think there was another water station just before mile 9 but I skipped it as I'd carried my bottle from the previous one. 

Mile 9 (Target: 8.58 Actual: 8.55)
    Back into the park, little climb and then downhill again. The DJ at the to of the hill helpfully told us there was only 18 miles to go, had a bit of a laugh with a woman running alongside me at this. Used the downhills again, pace was creeping up a bit too much the odd time so had to check myself a few times. 

Mile 10 (Target: 9.05 Actual: 8.53) 
    Still going downhill, I think coming down towards the exit to the park was where I found myself speeding up a bit too much. Turning into Chapelizod was the first time I started to feel the effort a little bit and a couple of doubts crossed my mind. Great crowds in the village again which was a booster and spotted another work colleague and got a big cheer. 

Mile 11 (Target: 9.10 Actual: 9.17)
    This was a very quiet mile and came with the added bonus of the hill out of Chapelizod. I was really aware of the advice that this one could be a killer. I also remembered flying up it 5 years ago and the pain the last 5 miles brought, so I backed right off the pace and just chugged up the hill gently. Didn't panic to get back on pace, just gradually would it back up. 

Mile 12 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 9.01)
    More support again and a nice mainly flat or downhill through Kilmainham. Reminded me that I've still never gone to visit the Gaol and it's on my to do list. Gel at mile 12. Working a bit but not feeling too bad. I knew this was going to be tough, so I'm well prepared, remind myself to trust the training and the plan. Looking forward to seeing my wife again at Dolphin's Barn, keep smiling, acknowledging the crowds, high fiving a few kids etc. 

Mile 13 (Target: 9.08 Actual: 9.08)
    A lovely mile through Rialto and the South Circular. The old lady's singing Molly Malone in Rialto bringing a huge smile. Knew my wife was going to be at the petrol station at Dolphin's Barn, made sure there was nobody behind me a slowed for another reassuring peck! Set off again with a big smile on my face and feeling good. Everything was going pretty much to plan. 

Half Way (Target: 2.00.58 Actual: 2.00.51)
    Spot another work colleague who offers a bottle of water just before the half. The actual time here is taken from the Marathon app. I think it was pretty similar by my own count too. Quick check of the systems and all is still feeling ok. Remind myself to take this drag to Walkinstown handy enough and conserve as much as possible for the closing mile. 

Mile 14 (Target: 9.12 Actual: 9.15)
    Water station early in this mile I think. Take a bottle and drop in another half a hydration tablet and take a salt capsule here too. Had it on my pace band to eat another energy bar here too. I can't really remember if I did. I think I most likely did though. Very familiar with this stretch of road, it's the worst of the drag and I don't push it. 

Mile 15 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 9.05)
    Course flattens a bit through Drimnagh and pace picks up before easing into the drag to Walkinstown Roundabout. A few people starting to struggle now and have to be careful avoiding the walkers. I know there's a couple of friends at the roundabout so looking out for them as I get up to it. Sun is in there eyes so I see them before they see me and I think I frightened the life out of them. Quick high five and push on to the 15 mile mark and another gel.

Mile 16 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.58)
    These were the miles I was looking forward to. I'd run them in training a few weeks back, it's mostly flat and it's time to really start racing. Body knows it's working, there's no hiding that, a few aches here and there but nothing worrying. I'm really starting to make progress now and passing people. I remember hearing a few people mention the 4 hour pacers so I have a feeling they're not too far behind and might even be visible if I look back, but I'm not looking back. They won't catch me.     

Mile 17 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 8.59)
    Another water station early in the mile. I think I took a bottle and added half a hydration tab. I remember a few people taking gels from the gel station. I had a lot of stuff sloshing in my stomach and wasn't keen on taking on too much more. Support is mixed along here, a couple of good spots, it's a boring enough stretch. Spot another work colleague and give her a fright with my shout, another offer of sustenance, jellies this time, but I decline again and push on. Really looking forward to the turn towards Terenure and the downhill sections. 

Mile 18 (Target: 8.57 Actual: 8.54)
    Lovely support at Bushy park and Terenure village. Poor soul down getting his legs massaged at the park. Also a tub of Vaseline on the wall for anyone having chaffing issues, it looks well used! Lots of high fiving kids and hitting power up signs along here. Feeling pretty good and keeping things nice and steady. 

Mile 19 (Target: 8.56, Actual: 8.54)
    Just keep motoring through Rathgar and the leafy streets of Orwell. Think there's another water station at mile 19, took a bottle but only had a few sips and chucked it, felt like I couldn't stomach too much more and was confident I was pretty well hydrated. Took another gel. Nice steady paces. Body was complaining a bit but still felt confident there was nothing that was going to stop me. It was around here the wheels starting coming off five years ago, and I knew I was in better shape this time. 

Mile 20 (Target: 8.56 Actual: 8.54)
    Milltown mile. Still mostly downhill, spot the Mr Guappa sign and shout at the Boardsies! Feeling pretty good and keeping the pace nice and steady. More and more walkers and people struggling, I'm still making good progress. Some good crowds along here too. 

Mile 21 (Target: 9.02 Actual: 8.54)
    Don't remember much about this at all. Pace still steady, had it on the pace band to eat another bar here but wasn't feeling like it at all so didn't bother. With five miles to go I knew I was on track and I remember being confident I was going to make it, even though the effort levels were definitely increasing. 

Mile 22 (Target: 9.05 Actual: 9.03)
    Heartbreak hill. Not so heartbreaking. I think some of the drags before it were almost as bad. I was conscious of not using too much energy to push here, I knew it could be made back on the downhills if needed. Last gel around the hill, skipped the Lucozade and wanted water now but either missed it or couldn't get to it. People walking all over the place now and the biggest issue was not running into the back of people coming to a sudden standstill. Once I crested the hill I was just thinking keep it steady and bring it home. 

Mile 23 (Target: 8.48, Actual: 8.51)
    Big downhill off Hearbreak hill couple of little incidents. Just at the start a woman stopped in front of myself and another woman, we were close enough to all being taken down, but just about avoided disaster. Then as I started to pick it up I could feel my hamstrings really tightening and I though they might cramp so eased off the gas a bit. The time was still in the bag with a steady pace, so there was no point trying for a few more seconds and getting a cramp. Great crowds here again and sure there's only a parkrun to go. Discarded my lovely luminous headband/visor here. Just wanted to have the breeze on my head. Didn't have the room in my pockets, I'd already taken gloves off and pocketed them.

Mile 24 (Target: 8.51 Actual: 8.55)
    Over the UCD flyover and I was feeling it a bit. There was a wind in my face, the effort was high, the hamstrings were tight, but I knew with the turn onto Nutley lane it would be downhill so just told myself to keep working. Nutley was a bit of a relief, took water from the station, took a few sips and poured some on my legs and arms. I've run these last few miles plenty of times in the last 18 weeks, I know I'm going to make it but I know it's not going to be easy. 

Mile 25 (Target: 9.00 Actual: 8.56)
    Merrion Road, the RDS, crowds really picking up again. Just keep working. There's a few people in a really bad way now, being cared for by medics or random strangers at the road side. There's a poor woman on the ground with a few people trying to help here. I'm glad I'm not feeling like that. I know it's painful but the pain is what we trained for, I'd ready and I'm finishing this. Another work colleague just before the mile marker, a big cheer and a high five. It's one of the lads I've run with a fair bit, he's a near 3hr marathoner himself and I've been out cheering him the last few years, it's another little boost. 

Mile 26 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.59)
    God this mile seems to drag on forever. I'm maybe too wary of pushing on and coming a cropper so I just keep it steady, the time is in the bag, it's all about trying to soak in the cheers and just getting to the line. The support is fantastic. There's a mixture of super strong finishers and people just desperately trying to keep moving now. What an amazing feeling. Emotions are high, looking out to see if I can sport more faces in the crowd but don't see anyone. Wife and friends were there though just lost in the crowds.

Finish (Target: 3.58.54 Actual: 3.59.08)
    Target was the pace band time, real target was anything starting with 3! Finish line came into view a bit sooner than I expected which was a huge relief. I was wrecked, but so, so happy, the training had got me to exactly where I wanted to be. I was going to cross the line sub 4. It was quiet a journey. Two years ago I wouldn't have believed I'd have been able to run regularly, there was days I could barely put my foot on the ground with the pain. Finally finding out a cause and a treatment just over a year ago changed everything. The psoriatic arthritis is under control and I'm getting my fitness back. So grateful to be able to do this, thoughts turn to those who can't, to friends and family who've been lost, to loved ones and the emotions are so high. Forget stopping the watch, put your hands in the air and celebrate the moment. Soak it in.

Post Race
    Oh dear God my legs, have to come to a sudden stop to avoid running into other finishers. Then the shuffle starts, everything hurts, but it's so worth it. Making my way very gingerly to the medal queue and I think I hear the announcer calling out Lanieyfrecks name, so I start looking out for her. Sure enough before we make it to the t-shirts I spot her. Some good chats from there to collecting the goodie bags, part ways to collect the bags from the drop and bump into each other again after. Great to at least meet one person from the Novices thread! Surprise then at the exit chute as I hear my parents calling me from the barrier, they've come up from Wexford to surprise me. Then the parents in law when I get out, who've braved the overcrowded Luas to get in too, and then my lovely wife and our friends who've come in to support.  

The marathon is such a huge commitment and a worry to an extent for family. It means so much to have all their support, and in a way it drives home just what a small club the marathon club is and how few people will actually ever experience it. I'm wearing my finishers top and medal today as I write this, it's something I'll forever be proud of.

Thanks again to all the boardsies, the novices, the mentors and the other experienced boards heads who are always so full of useful information and wisdom. I think that's it for me and the marathon for a few years at least. I've already set out a plan for the next few months, starting with the boards base building plan, followed by the 10k to half plan with the Great Ireland Run 10k as my next target race. I'd love to get to sub 20 for 5k and close to 40 for 10k and take it from there. If I come back to the marathon it'll be with a view of taking it to sub 3.30 or maybe even 3.00 (a man can dream). 

That's a hell of a race report! And a cracking race too. The pace band really works for you and you had put in the training that allowed you to execute the perfect race. Well done again - I'll be following your progress with interest over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

am just about to watch this, thought I would share

"I RAN THE DUBLIN MARATHON WITHOUT TRAINING FOR IT | Day 300"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmYK9K95ylA

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kemcloughlin

DCM Reflection

August 2018 I had a sinus infection. Went to the GP. Heart murmur detected. Told it may have been present since birth - but it might not have been. I don’t think it was there at birth - only other time heart murmur was detected was during pregnancy - but this time I wasn’t pregnant - but my weight was a big problem - age 42 6 feet tall and 20 stone. Cardiologist visit booked. That day I went to the GP, I was waiting to be told I was diabetic with high cholesterol - I was petrified of that so I joined slimming world that evening - smothered with that sinus infection. I lots a stone in 2 weeks and then went to the cardiologist. Echo showed a problem with my tri-cuspid valve that was causing a back flow of blood - hence the murmur. I was told my heart was fine otherwise and to carry on with life. Scan again in 2 years. On that same day my colleague was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer. Suddenly I woke up.

August - October 2018 I continued to lose weight and in October I joined a gym. I was in a group training class with 3 other women. The first session…the coach stopped the treadmill after 20 seconds. I vomited twice that morning. I sent him a message that night and said - “this isnt for me”. He said “get back in here in the morning - you will be fine and you wont regret it.” He was right. I fell in love with exercising at the gym and the other 3 women left the class after 4 weeks - so I got 4 more weeks 1:1. At Christmas he was closed for a few days and I wanted to exercise - so I said I would start the C25K again (I had done this many times over the years and always stopped around week 4). On New Years Day I took off to Lough Boora and ran 5K without stopping. I cried with happiness. I was always the girl in school who hated PE, could never finish the 1500m annual torture.

I never went back to the gym. I took myself off to Parkrun. Next the Tipperary fun road races. Then Offaly Road Race Series. Then in April I entered a 10K…I came last (my worst nightmare) - but I didn’t care. When I heard that the DCM had extra numbers for sale me and my husband said we would try our luck. We got in - 4 hours sitting on the computer hitting refresh. Now it was real.

The Boards group has been brilliant. Great support - thank you all.

My marathon training has had its ups and downs. I injured my knee after Tullamore and felt very demotivated after the Phoenix Park Half. Longwood re-motivated me - despite the big drama over the medal…! I have been chased by dogs, men in lorries and it’s all been worth it!

The goal - 5hr 59 min 59 secs.

DCM morning I got up at 5.30. Breakfast was weetabix, skimmed milk and a bagel with cream cheese. Coffee. Husband and I picked up a friend and we drove to J14 M7 where we met lots of people stopping for coffee who were clearly runners…Oh the nerves! Got to Dublin in great time and parked in Stephens Green Shopping Centre (after trying to drive down Grafton Street!). Had another coffee and a pee and then to the baggage area. Husband and friend disappeared to wave 2. I headed to wave 4. Met Kara and had a hug (lovely lady!) and then met Maureen, Sarah and Elaine (more lovely ladies!) and before I knew it, after 2 portaloo visits (and no poos…what the hell?? that freaked me out as I always do those before a race)…it was time to go. My fuelling plan was Dates..I ate 5 and NEVER AGAIN! I relied on the stuff people gave out and the gel they gave out and lucozade and I was fine.

Miles 1-10 12:22 12:57 13:05 13.05 12:43 12.43 12.36 12.32 12.46 12:32
    The plan was 13 min miles for the 1st half of the marathon. Absolutely loved the first ten miles. Great crowds, super weather. Loved the park. I was going slightly faster than planned but I felt BRILLIANT! Consciously adjusted pace.

Miles 11-13.1 13.09 12.57 13.01
    All going well until I saw that fecking half way bridge. I was going SO well - and then I decided to stop and take a photo of it to text it to my sons…how stupid was that?! Once I stop I find it so so hard to get going no matter what the distance. In my head I had wanted to pick it up a bit speed wise after half way - but no…I do the opposite and stop to take a stupid photo! I then stopped to have a drink.

Mile 14 - 20 13:45 13:05 13:58 13:54 13:29 15.30 13.33
    A combination of walking and running for much of this. All psychological. In no pain, felt fine. In my head, I had stopped. In my head I wanted to make sure I ran in the last 3 miles of the race so for some reason I decided to walk - run here. I have no idea why. I was very frightened of the hills people spoke about - maybe I thought if I run - walk I would be ok with the hills and would make it to the end - why did I read that over 20 per cent of people who started the London Marathon don’t finish? That freaked me out.

Mile 21-26.2 13.25 15.41 14.35 13.13 14.12 12.36 12.36
    Heartbreak hill - I don’t get it - the hill before that was much worse. Aside for the floor being sticky I didn’t see the issue with Roebuck Road. The last 1.2 miles was fantastic! The crowds were great. I learned you cant run and cry at the same time!

So I got there! I ran 18 miles completely and walk-ran the rest. 5 hours 51 mins and 42 seconds. Goal achieved time wise. I will be back next year - assuming I get through this lottery. I know now I can do it. I know now that the hills aren’t something to be afraid of. I wont give up until I can run the full 26.2 miles non stop.

Husband’s goal was about 4:10 - he ended up at 4:45 as his leg went. So he has unfinished business too. We’ve raised about 1000 euro for the place I work, so an added bonus!

I am now 6 stone lighter. I still have more weight to lose. I will.

I have a marathon medal. But more importantly I have developed a genuine love for exercise. My 13 year old said last week - "Mum, you must have been running or something as you are so happy and full of beans!"

I wouldn’t have got that medal without you guys - I would have ran too fast and died OR continued to run every 5K trying to get faster by even 1 second each time - and then got injured and never would have made it at all to the start line. Trust the plan...and for future novices reading this...trust the mentors and your peers!

Happy resting!

PS just read back over the other reports

Ais Byrne - I am so sad to read what happened - you earned that medal and look at those splits...but at the same time I can understand a little about how you must feel.

DBB - just want to say you are brilliant and have been so supportive...when my Strava went quiet...my phone messages pinged! Thank you x

Bananaleaf - I hope you get selected as a mentor next year. You're inspirational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I was really happy to meet you, Kathy! You got your well deserved medal on Sunday and have come so far with your running in such a short space of time. Incredible. I’m inspired by your story and hope to meet you again next year at the marathon start line :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Right, report time!

Target 04:15:00
    Result 04:18:58
    Missed my target by a bit but delighted.

Saturday I got a bit of a land when I checked the watch as I crashed into the hotel bed, nearly 9,000 steps. How'd that happen? Must have clocked it up between the expo and the car and back, oops.

Taking weetabix and my granola mix into the hotel buffet was a bit surreal but nothing new was to going to happen this day. Kissed the family goodbye and off to the luas. Photo op with the Sanctuary Runners and then dropped the bag.

Settled in with the 4:20 pacers as per plan and that worked swimmingly. Followed the good advice and didn't jockey for position, it made no difference after the first few mile anyway. I was kind of expecting the crowd of runners to thin out and stretch out after a bit but it never did. Was near the same lad with the jangling coins but to my inner 4 year old (like the my one waiting at the 22 mile mark) they sounded like bells so I got a kick off pretending he was secretly Santa. Whatever gets you around the course :D

I took a bottle with me at each water stop and just exchanged it when I hit the next one. Gel one was at the 10 mile marker

All went well, I've no idea how it happened but suddenly we were on the South side, I only knew this after one of the marshals told we could relax now, we were safely on the South of the Liffey. :D For the life of me I couldn't figure out how I missed the Liffey but my Dublin knowledge wouldn't be the greatest.

Through Dolphins Barn and Crumlin not a bother on me and a chuckle getting a text from a work friend saying that was a savage half time (had no idea he was even tracking me!)
    Second gel at this point, just at the 15 mile marker.
    Walkinstown roundabout was the key point and I had checked that out on google maps before hand and once I saw the trees I knew it was the time. I left the comfort of my bungee to the 4:20 pacers and eased away. Times went from 06:10 ish to 05:55 ish. This felt good and I was holding this nicely. Then miles 18 & 19 I found I was starting to slide a bit.

Completely missed the boards cheering section wherever that was at around this stage. A special word here for the crowd, they were brilliant throughout from mile 1 to 26, some of the signs had me cracking up.
    Roebuck road was tough going but I knew it would be, especially with the hill at the end of it on which my cheering section awaited. Charmed to meet my wife and kids for a smooch at the top and Fosters avenue stretching down before me. The legs weren't feeling great by this stage but this lovely bit of motivation & down hill got me trundling and at the bottom I took my one and only look backwards to see the 4:20 balloons just hitting the peak. Good.

More motivation needed once around the next corner so I plugged in the headphones at this point and slogged through. I could see that my pace was sliding but it wasn't too bad and I had banked a good bit on the 4:20 pacers.
    At about the 25 mile marker I hear the warning I had been keenly listening for, someone cheering on the 4:20's. One of the photos after on the official site confirmed what I had suspected, the balloons were actually behind me. I went for it and there was something there.
    The crowd at this point was something else but by the time I crossed the canal, my final visual queue to boot it, they were just a blur and I was going for it. Crossed the line and I was done, delighted, I'd won my own personal race against the 4:20's

Lessons;
    Less activity the day before.
    Fueling and water went well I think.
    Despite my heroic (:o) struggle with the 4:20's I might have been better off not creasing myself to get away from them at the 15 mile mark only to get reeled in by them 10 miles later. If you don't try you can't improve either so I'll chalk that one up for experience

Comparisons;
    Here's where I admit (again) to not being a complete novice, I did Cork in June using the HH plan all by myself. It shows the difference being part of a group and being mentored can make that I knocked a huge chunk off my Cork time; 17 mins 45 seconds to be precise.

Many thanks to the mentors for the wise words & the gang of 2019 for the giggles

Advertisement