Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Aw shucks thanks. I was delighted to spot you to be honest. Your training, fundraising and everything else was seriously inspirational and you got the result you deserved to match it. I'm sure out paths will cross again at future events, you'll just be miles ahead of me finishing them all!!

Just when i thought i had no tears left, one falls! I did nothing special, no more than everyone out there running the marathon for their own reasons :) I have absolutely no doubt our paths will cross & it will be an absolute pleasure to chat again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Ais_Byrne my heart is breaking for you right now. You ran a fantastic race, you gave it your all and you earned that medal. But it doesn't feel like it right now and I totally understand that. Mind yourself. You're wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Good to hear you're doing alright now Ais. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Ais_Byrne7 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Well done all for yesterday - hope you are all resting up and eating your celebratory meals :)

It was a bittersweet day for me.

With a target of sub 5 hrs,I decided to start off with the five hour pacers. I met Dolores there (Hi Dolores!) so that was lovely. The pacers were great fun and helped keep a firm and steady pace for the first few miles. I took the hills as an opportunity to push out in front of them, and reeled them back in on the uphills. I kept the five hour pacers in sight for all the race and I was really happy with my pacing throughout. The atmosphere was amazing and the support from both runners and supporters was unbelievable.

But alas, this is where the bittersweetness comes in. Passing 22 miles now and starting to feel a bit tired, to be expected of course. I pushed through it, almost there, keeping steady. Getting to the RDS and the 25 mile marker seemed to take forever but alas I get there and started to push for home. I could see the line, I waved at my friends at the 700m to go sign, I was on target to finish sub 5, let’s do it Aisling, let’s give it socks - and that’s all I can remember. Next thing I know, I’m waking up in a medical room, attached to a drip. I honestly don’t have a clue what happened - how did I get here? What happened? Did I finish the race?

It took me a while to come back to my senses. The medic explained that they found me at the finish line and that I’d passed out due to dehydration. I was upset about this,I had really worked hard on my hydration during the few days previous, lots of water, zero tablets, salty pretzels, tuc crackers...and stopped at every water stop during the race. I was being mindful not to drink too much water during the race as it upsets my stomach so I was sipping my bottles till about half way before throwing away, whereas cups I was drinking the whole lot. For a while I couldn’t string two words together, but eventually I managed to ask ‘did I finish the race?’ They believed I did. I started crying because I simply couldn’t remember. I then looked at my garmin which tallied at 27.3 miles. This wasn’t enough, I really needed to see the finish chip time register to confirm.

Obviously the more I came back to life, the more upset and worried I got. This wasn’t what was supposed to happen? I’m meant to be out with my friends, taking photos, showing off our medals, heading for pints! The medics then came in with my medal. I didn’t want to take it without knowing if I had actually finished. With a few encouraging words from the medic crew, and Ronan who had now come to the rescue, I reluctantly let them place the medal over my head and after another half hour or so of monitoring I was allowed to go.

Turns out, I didn’t finish. I must have fallen somewhere between the 600m mark and the line, and I guess that’ll haunt me forever. Needless to say, I’m gutted, I’ve been crying a lot, especially because I felt like I ran a really good, paced race and had done everything in my power to prepare myself for the day. I have tucked my medal away in a drawer and that’s where it will stay until I feel like I’ve earned it. I know I technically ran the distance of a marathon but without that finishing chip time it just feels like I don’t deserve it.

I’m going to take a wee breather from this forum just so I can re-gather, but I want to take this opportunity to thank our amazing mentors. Your guidance and support has been invaluable to me and I know I would not have reached the start line without you. I also want to thank my fellow novices, we’ve made quite a little support group, haven’t we? A huge well done on your amazing achievement yesterday….I’m proud of every single one of you.

1 - 11.31
    2 - 11.13
    3 - 11.22
    4 - 10.52
    5 - 11.08
    6 - 11.19
    7 - 11.34
    8 - 10.52
    9 - 11.08
    10 - 11.00
    11 - 11.25
    12 - 11.34
    13 - 11.28
    14 - 11.40
    15 - 11.43
    16 - 11.52
    17 - 11.25
    18 - 11.08
    19 - 11.00
    20 - 11.02
    21 - 10.57
    22 - 11.43
    23 - 11.13
    24 - 11.08
    25 - 10.44
    26 - 10.03
    27 - 5.48 ( this doesn’t look right so I’m assuming this is where the issue happened, I couldn’t have been running that fast, it certainly didn’t feel like it)

Final distance: 27.31
    Time: 4:58:05

So sorry to hear this, and glad to hear that you are okay. That is the main thing.

You ran a great race and that is something to be so proud of yourself for. Mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    *Sorry for the essay*

I finished my first marathon yesterday in a time of 5:16:10. The time wasn't what I had hoped for and wasn't what I had trained for, but that doesn't bother me. I do, however, sit here this morning with mixed feelings
    • I feel like I have achieved something, although this has yet to sink in I think.
    • I feel grateful that I was able to be part of the day.
    • I feel very proud of the grit and determination I showed yesterday because from mile 14 it was NOT easy for me.
    • But I'm going to be very honest and say that I also feel resentful of how yesterday went for me, because I really don't feel that I deserved to have the day I had.

Ah god S, my heart was broken for you yesterday. We had you on the tracker and knew you were behind the planned time, which I'll be honest I was very surprised at as your training was so on point. You are absolutely right, you didn't deserve that day but I hope in a couple of weeks you can see it just for the incredible achievement that it was. You showed true grit in getting yourself to that finish line and for that you should be very, very proud of yourself. Recover well now.

• Advertisement

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    DCM 2019

Mile 19 to 26.2
    (Paces of 11:25,11:46, 11:34, 12:05, 10:49, 10:41, 10:34, 10:49, 9:56)

I was so excited to see the family at Milltown. The kids cute faces and excited waves when they saw me coming!! I took it easy going up Milltown hill. I was more worried about that stretch than heartbreak hill cause I am familiar with Milltown. It was funny heading up towards UCD, I had no idea where or what Heartbreak hill was. At one stage I thought I might have already ran past it and then I saw the "wall" signs :) The hill was fine. The sticky road from all the spilt energy drinks annoyed me more!! Once onto the flyover I just picked up the pace and went for home. I gave it my all on that stretch. I overtook so many people and honestly don't think a single person passed me in the last 3 miles. Exactly the finish I wanted. Came in at 04:57:55.

A big thanks for all the support on this thread especially to Mr. Guappa, Huzzah and ReeReeG. It's been invaluable and thoroughly enjoyable. I can't wait to read all the race reports. Sorry about not making McGrattans. Hope ye had a great night!

Congratulations to the novice marathoners of 2019!!

Another one who sounded completely in control. Well done you! Especially after missing those weeks, that's a wonderful result.

py wrote: »
    Thoughts
    • I completed my first marathon. I started running last November. This is a win and success. I've a huge sense of pride. I am a runner now, it's a part of my life.
    • I'd suffered before on long cycling events but nothing like yesterday. I learned that I have resilience and mental fortitude.
    • First half was too quick if I really wanted the sub 4, I don't think by too much but definitely too quick.
    • The pain I'm feeling now is mostly muscular/doms. I need to get my hip flexor looked at it but it's nothing major. Most importanly, that pain is temporary.
    • I wore a set of "racing" runners which I'd used at FD10 and DCHM. I wasn't going to get close to the pace required to see some benefit from them. A stupid mistake.

What's next
    • Rest. I might get some really light cycling done over the next few weeks to get the blood circulating in the legs a bit more.
    • I've been watching my diet a good bit for the past 12 weeks after a bit of a panic after almost reaching 105Kg early in the training plan. I was 95Kg at the start of week 18. I've definitely got more changes that I can make to lower the body mass, in a healthy way though. This week will be lax though, still ensuring I get protein consumed to help the body recover.
    • Run the Line is in a few weeks but I need to see how the body is. If I'm still in pain or my hip flexor is not close to 100% then I'll skip it.
    • I need to start doing S&C and mobility work as soon as my body has recovered. My aerobic system (recent lab based VO2 result proved that) is good but my durability is what let me down yesterday.
    • Next year's plans start early with Donadea 50k in February and then Comrades in June. I might get another marathon/ultra in between those to prep my legs for June. Pending how that goes I think I'd like to do another DCM training cycle so I may just pick up an entry this month to ensure that is a possibility.
    • I'm a little unsure on my training paces moving forward so if someone has guidance that would be great.

Was so sorry to see your race didn't finish to plan, but well done on finishing it out! As you said, you've learned you have resilience you didn't think you had! Don't worry about training paces right now, definitely avoid running for a couple of weeks (or more ideally) considering the hurt you were in yesterday. And just pass the time staring at your MARATHON medal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

I'm sorry to have missed you guys at Milltown ReeReeG and Huzzah. I was so focused on finding my gang

saffron22 wrote: »
    Heartbreak and home

When I saw the n11 I knew it was coming time to push
    Left the pacers at ucd flyover and pushed on. 1
    Felt fantastic though sore.
    Km 40 .... The wall. Literally in seconds went from running my fastest to running my slowest. Nothing left in the tank. Grabbed some water slowed down and gave myself a mental talking too ( probably shouted at myself like a lunatic also) km 42. Passed the schoolhouse and started to well up a bit. Wanted to finish strong so kicked on again. First time I've crossed a finish line smiling. Collected medals race top and goodies. Changed gear and walked to luas and home. Already planning next race. I'll definitely be back as I think I've far better in me.

Delighted overall wanted a 4.15 and got a 4.05
    Everyone I know was delighted for me and had messages waiting on my phone.

Loved it all. Legs sore today but that's too be expected. Looking forward to starting training again when I feel refreshed

Great to read all your reports. Everyone who took part is amazing and an inspiration

Well done, that's a great time, well ahead of what you wanted! Sounds like a tough finish but you stuck in there, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ais_Byrne7 - That's such an unfortunate and frustrating thing to have experienced, and a horrible way to finish your first marathon. Thanks so much for taking the time to come and let us know what happened. I'm so glad that you're ok now, and you should have no doubts that you earned that medal. You ran a fantastic race and should be very proud of your achievements. Well done.

• Advertisement

Dublin Marathon Race Report

Finish (Target: 3.58.54 Actual: 3.59.08)
    Target was the pace band time, real target was anything starting with 3! Finish line came into view a bit sooner than I expected which was a huge relief. I was wrecked, but so, so happy, the training had got me to exactly where I wanted to be. I was going to cross the line sub 4. It was quiet a journey. Two years ago I wouldn't have believed I'd have been able to run regularly, there was days I could barely put my foot on the ground with the pain. Finally finding out a cause and a treatment just over a year ago changed everything. The psoriatic arthritis is under control and I'm getting my fitness back. So grateful to be able to do this, thoughts turn to those who can't, to friends and family who've been lost, to loved ones and the emotions are so high. Forget stopping the watch, put your hands in the air and celebrate the moment. Soak it in.

THAT.was an incredibly well run race! Wow, you really have great discipline with the pace band!!! Such a fabulous result, and so delighted for you after all the pain issues! Well done!!!

Doc76 wrote: »
    To be honest I wasn’t even going to write a report because I’m trying really hard not to be disappointed today that I didn’t meet my target because of something completely unrelated to running or training or preparation. Marathons are a funny beast... so many variables! And it was missed by 5 minutes... to a non runner that would be crazy thing to be upset by, right?!

I hope you get over the disappointment and appreciate the achievement fully :) You did great considering something happened to affect your day, and only let it affect the result by 5 mins!! Congrats :)

pd79 wrote: »
    Happily sitting in powerscourt hotel sipping on prosecco ! My race report is short! Miles 1-10 loved it pace was good, from then on knees really hurt, as per usual, I ran with my sister, and she struggled a bit too. I found pack of paracetamol on road and I'm not ashamed to say I took two !! But throughout , despite the pain, I knew I could do it. I ran last 6 miles for different people , and just felt grateful through out . I grew up watching my Dad running marathon, and now my kids have seen me do it. I ran walked last few miles . Time was never a priority for me, finishing strong and in one piece was I never wanted my kids to see me dragged across finish line, and I did finish strong . I soaked it all up, because dont think I could do it again !!

Congrats, and good shout with prosecco :) Sure the person who dropped the paracetamol as hardly going to turn back for them anyway :pac: You looked pretty strong running through Milltown, super run, well done!

But alas, this is where the bittersweetness comes in. Passing 22 miles now and starting to feel a bit tired, to be expected of course. I pushed through it, almost there, keeping steady. Getting to the RDS and the 25 mile marker seemed to take forever but alas I get there and started to push for home. I could see the line, I waved at my friends at the 700m to go sign, I was on target to finish sub 5, let’s do it Aisling, let’s give it socks - and that’s all I can remember. Next thing I know, I’m waking up in a medical room, attached to a drip. I honestly don’t have a clue what happened - how did I get here? What happened? Did I finish the race?

It took me a while to come back to my senses. The medic explained that they found me at the finish line and that I’d passed out due to dehydration. I was upset about this,I had really worked hard on my hydration during the few days previous, lots of water, zero tablets, salty pretzels, tuc crackers...and stopped at every water stop during the race. I was being mindful not to drink too much water during the race as it upsets my stomach so I was sipping my bottles till about half way before throwing away, whereas cups I was drinking the whole lot. For a while I couldn’t string two words together, but eventually I managed to ask ‘did I finish the race?’ They believed I did. I started crying because I simply couldn’t remember. I then looked at my garmin which tallied at 27.3 miles. This wasn’t enough, I really needed to see the finish chip time register to confirm.

Obviously the more I came back to life, the more upset and worried I got. This wasn’t what was supposed to happen? I’m meant to be out with my friends, taking photos, showing off our medals, heading for pints! The medics then came in with my medal. I didn’t want to take it without knowing if I had actually finished. With a few encouraging words from the medic crew, and Ronan who had now come to the rescue, I reluctantly let them place the medal over my head and after another half hour or so of monitoring I was allowed to go.

Turns out, I didn’t finish. I must have fallen somewhere between the 600m mark and the line, and I guess that’ll haunt me forever. Needless to say, I’m gutted, I’ve been crying a lot, especially because I felt like I ran a really good, paced race and had done everything in my power to prepare myself for the day. I have tucked my medal away in a drawer and that’s where it will stay until I feel like I’ve earned it. I know I technically ran the distance of a marathon but without that finishing chip time it just feels like I don’t deserve it.

I’m going to take a wee breather from this forum just so I can re-gather, but I want to take this opportunity to thank our amazing mentors. Your guidance and support has been invaluable to me and I know I would not have reached the start line without you. I also want to thank my fellow novices, we’ve made quite a little support group, haven’t we? A huge well done on your amazing achievement yesterday….I’m proud of every single one of you.

1 - 11.31
    2 - 11.13
    3 - 11.22
    4 - 10.52
    5 - 11.08
    6 - 11.19
    7 - 11.34
    8 - 10.52
    9 - 11.08
    10 - 11.00
    11 - 11.25
    12 - 11.34
    13 - 11.28
    14 - 11.40
    15 - 11.43
    16 - 11.52
    17 - 11.25
    18 - 11.08
    19 - 11.00
    20 - 11.02
    21 - 10.57
    22 - 11.43
    23 - 11.13
    24 - 11.08
    25 - 10.44
    26 - 10.03
    27 - 5.48 ( this doesn’t look right so I’m assuming this is where the issue happened, I couldn’t have been running that fast, it certainly didn’t feel like it)

Ah god. This is a heartbreaking report. Firstly, I'm glad you're ok now but that must have been pretty scary waking up and not knowing where you are. In our eyes, you are most definitely a marathoner, so please please take that medal out. Be proud of the work you put in, and the race you ran yesterday. Easy for me to say I know, but look at those splits above! Recover well, and hopefully see you about these parts soon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

eabha19 wrote: »
    I'm going to attempt the first race report as I am still on a total race high so here goes:

DCM 2019
    Pre-race:
    After a terrible night's sleep on Friday night I actually managed to get a good 6 hours on Saturday night and woke up just before 5 a.m. Had my usual pre-race breakfast of tea, egg and toast and threw in a lemsip and a sudafed as I had developed a cold over the end of the week - thankfully it wasn't a heavy cold but had a bit of a cough and the sniffles. My clubmates had arranged to get a private bus in at 7 a.m. so we all met at 6:50 - I was wearing my running gear underneath my son's old hoodie and old trackie bottoms that were half way up my legs!! We got into town just after 7:30 and hung around the Davenport out of the cold for a good while queuing for toilets and drinking a 4 euro cuppa tea (cheek lads!!). Needn't have queued there after all - there were loads of porta loos at the start line (sure I had another visit there anyway - truly it would be rude not to!!) At about 8:45 we headed to the bag drop which was so well organised - huge kudos to those volunteers who were in from 6:30 a.m. to look after us all. We then headed to wave 4 start where there was a bit of waiting around so I was really glad to have my warm disposable clothes. I was still with 3 of my clubmates who were hoping to get in around the same time as me. It really was great to start together and have people to share the excitement with. I was hoping to position myself near the 4:30 pacer balloons but there were just too many people and trying to squeeze four of us through to the front seemed a bit cheeky at that stage. So I just decided to keep my own pace - I had stuck with km pacing even though my laps were in miles as I'm more used to the kms. We also lost one of our pack even before the start - and so we were three! As I was waiting around I was hoping not for any particular time but for a run to remember and a run to enjoy - any worries about time completely fell away and I felt so excited to give it my all.

Mile 1 - 10:43 mins At 9:45 a.m. with a roar of the crowd we were off but it was a slooooow start. We didn't bother weaving too much except around the walkers (one of the disadvantages of wave 4 is that some people are walking from mile 1). I was prepared for that and it didn't frustrate me - at least there was no risk of taking off too fast in that first mile.
    Mile 2 - 10:04 mins A little faster than pace here as we got some space and a bit of downhill running down to the quays.
    Mile 3 - 10:13 mins I consciously slowed down a little here despite feeling like I could easily have stuck with 6 min/km pace. We passed the first water station but I still had my own 250 ml bottle so I stuck with that sipping throughout.
    Mile 4 - 9:57 mins This was again faster than planned and when I saw it ping on my watch I was thinking oh oh be careful! I found myself dropping back from my two running mates every now and then to try to control my pace but we seemed to find each other again every time. There was a big gang of girls from Esker who ran near us from the park through to Ballyfermot and they were singing and cheering loads - it was a great cheer to be beside them but I was also wondering why they were using their breath for singing and shouting rather than saving it for the race ahead!
    Mile 5 10:08 mins Chesterfield Avenue was a beautiful stretch - the sun was glorious and even though it was quiet, support-wise, it was so serene and filled with the colour of thousands of running tops, I soaked it in and felt so lucky to be fit and well enough to run my town on such a beautiful day. I grabbed a water at the next water station and dropped half a tab in it without trouble (I was a bit worried whether I'd manage that during the race but it was grand!) I also took my first gel at 5 miles as planned.
    Mile 6 10:17 mins First mile that was spot on perfect pace. During this mile I had an emotional moment. A woman running behind me just roared out in excitement "Mam" when she saw her mam in the park and ran at her to give her a huge hug. It stuck with me throughout the race in a bittersweet way - my mam died at age 58 11 years ago and I missed her so much in that minute - no one in life supports you as much as your mammy.
    Mile 7 - 10:21 mins At the start of this mile I realised that I had given my hubby the wrong time to meet me at Walkinstown so I took out my phone and rang him along the route. It took me ages foostering around with the phone in the glare of the sun but eventually managed it - he must have gotten a fright thinking I was after injuring myself but I literally just said "all good, I'll be in Walkinstown an hour later than I said. Love you bye!" Straight after this we hit Castleknock and the wonderful crowds. I saw two friends just before the hill and had a nice boost. My two club mates ran ahead of me for the hill but even though it felt fairly easy at that stage I had my mentors in my head saying easy up them hills so I pulled back and then I caught up with the guys again at the downhill. Actually pacing to the course was such seemingly obvious but brilliant advice. Normally I'd be getting a bit panicky seeing my time slip to 6:35 min/km during a hill but I was instead purposely feeling yep slow it down and then was able to take advantage of the downhills and go faster than pace.
    Mile 8 - 10:03 mins There was a couple of nice downhills here so I didn't worry about being too fast. Also couldn't believe we were at 8 miles already, I knew we'd a long way to go but it felt like it was flying by!
    Mile 9 - 10:07 mins Another serene stretch in the park and fairly flat, if not downhill, and another mile that clocked by with ease. Still running with my runmates and enjoying their company.
    Mile 10 - 10:24 mins One of my runmates needed the loo here and the other met his family so we slowed down a little and by some marathon miracle we met up with our fourth member who is the guy I have run with most regularly for the last few years (they call him my 'run husband' at the club!). Was thrilled to catch up with him and it gave us all a boost. This mile ended with the hill out of Chapelizod up to Ballyfermot - again I fell back from the gang during the hill (to me that was the steepest hill in the race although Roebuck was the toughest just by virtue of how tired the legs were by then). Caught them again at the top - in fairness they took it handy too. Took my 10 mile gel.
    Mile 11- 10:30 mins I don't think it was hilly here so the drop in pace was probably just from not watching the watch too much. Definitely was still feeling good so if I was trying to work out where I could have improved my time, there were a couple of miles like this between 10 miles and 15 where I was just enjoying it and not focusing on time.
    Mile 12 - 10:20 mins
    Mile 13 - 10: 19 mins
    The next two miles into Crumlin are kind of blurry to me - it felt a bit hilly and I was starting to get excited about meeting my hubby, daughter, sister and niece at Walkinstown. The crowds were great here - some gorgeous wee granny was at the side of the road singing Fields of Athenry and I loved her for it!!
    Mile 14 - 10:24 mins The lads with us stopped for a wee so me and my other running mate slowed down a little so that they could catch up with us - as it turned out only one caught up with us and I didn't see my 'run husband' for the rest of the race. We hit the halfway mark bang on 2:15 and I was delighted to see that despite varying times I was bang on plan and still feeling great. I started getting worried about missing my family so I was peeling my eyes out for them knowing I was getting near Walkinstown. I also kept doubting myself and thinking I'd missed the roundabout and getting panicky at the thoughts of not seeing them.
    Mile 15 - 10:21 I cannot overestimate the boost I got at the Walkinstown roundabout to see my little girl and her princess castle poster (it didn't even say my name just her name and I love you written all over it!!). My hubby got a pic of me running over to her with my arms open and it's my favourite of all my marathon pictures. Everyone got a quick kiss, my sister handed me some jelly babies (didn't touch them - who has the energy for chewing when you're running 26.5 miles!!) and I was on my way feeling powered up. Took my next gel at the end of this mile and I heard Mr G saying If you're feeling strong after Walkinstown roundabout pick it up so I thought now is the time to really run this town. I didn't even say goodbye to my running mates I just got selfish and thought from here on in, it's up to me.
    Mile 16 - 10:00 mins
    Mile 17 - 10:00 mins
    Mile 18 - 10:01 mins
    Mile 19 - 10:03 mins
    Mile 20 - 10 mins
    Mile 21 - 10:09 mins
    These miles I was in the zone and I felt awesome. I high fived a few kids, high fived a guy in a wheel chair and told him and his mates how great they were and just generally loved it!
    Mile 22 - 10:27 mins I cheered at Clonskeagh last year so I knew this was the toughest mile in the marathon with that drag followed by Heartbreak Hill. So many people walking so my main aim was just keep running and when this is done you're over the worst. I ran up Roebuck Hill sooooo slowly but I ran it, determined not to walk, and when I got to the top I was thinking you've got this now.
    Mile 23 - 10:07 mins
    Mile 24 - 9:56 mins
    Back on track after Clonskeagh and around here I met a woman in her 50s who I had seen loads along the way and she was walking. She had her name on her top so I ran by saying come on Audrey, we've got this, just another park run. Well she passed me out shortly after and we played cat and mouse for the rest of the way with the odd chat too until she totally zoomed ahead of me in mile 25!! You're welcome Audrey!!
    Mile 25 - 10:06 min Suddenly time stood still. I kept to pace but it was now taking a lot more out of me. I was pushing hard at this stage, trying to keep that strong finish but thinking this ain't so much fun anymore!!
    Mile 26 - 10:15 mins If I thought time had stood still in mile 25 it started going backways in mile 26 - how fricking long can one mile be?!! The crowds in town didn't even boost me I was just thinking where is the end, where is the end, am i going to collapse before the end, my breathing was so laboured I sounded like Monica Selles grunting. I was just thanking Jesus that I hadn't felt like this at mile 18 coz I would not have been able to keep up that effort for much longer.
    26.4 miles - 3:54 mins (average pace 9:46 mins/mi) Obviously I managed just about to take up my pace for the last stretch but oh my God the finish line just could not get to me quick enough. Also at 26.2 miles I felt like saying get that finish line and bring it to me now I've done my marathon!! I didn't feel euphoric at the finish line I felt dizzy and so relieved and as soon as I stopped running my legs were ready to collapse!

Post race:
    I hobbled a long lonely journey from the finish line to the medal line to the t-shirt line (had a little cry here but it was short lived - damn it I was too tired to feel emotional!!) to the goody bag line. Then I rang my hubby and he shouted 4:29:06 in excitement which was the first news I had of my time. I was thrilled - not so much about my time as I was about the whole thing. Other than that last two miles I felt so good and strong during the race and everything I had learned here kicked in and it fricking worked!! I started this plan because I had niggles and was worried I wouldn't make the starting line if I continued with my club plan and running with my club mates who I was struggling to keep up with on long runs. I found a whole new gear in my running and it was a slooow gear - it made the heavy mileage so much more doable even though I'll admit sometimes I was morto looking at my strava feed at my slowest every recorded 5ks!! I was worried about being able to change gear for the marathon but those marathon paced runs on the boards plan really stood to me. When I picked it up after mile 15 I was thinking of how many times I had run marathon paced runs on tired legs from all the mileage we were doing and I knew I could do it again. By the time I got to McGrattans, which took me forever my legs, my lower back and my butt were in agony and I was completely hoarse (seriously I can actually talk despite the fact that the only times I have met the mentors my voice has been gone!!). It was lovely to meet up with those who were there and to thank Mr Guappa, Ree Ree G and Huzzah in person. I now truly believe that if I hadn't found this group it would have been a totally different race for me if I would even have made it to the start line. I am still amazed at the time and effort you guys put in to responding to all our many questions, check our strava feeds, give us target times and strategies - on top of jobs, families and running - all for free!!

Sorry for this turning into a novel - I think I've written this for me to have to remember as much as I can of what was one of the best days of my life. Thank you guys - Eabha19 over and out!

I love this report, and that you had the run your training deserved. Thank you for trusting us, it can't have been an easy leap of faith to make, but you reaped the rewards yesterday. You put in savage work over the past 18+ weeks and it paid off big time. That was a cracking marathon debut. Great to meet you again afterwards, and thanks so much for the kind words. Your fellow novices all speak very highly of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Hi guys,

Well done all for yesterday - hope you are all resting up and eating your celebratory meals :)

It was a bittersweet day for me.

With a target of sub 5 hrs,I decided to start off with the five hour pacers. I met Dolores there (Hi Dolores!) so that was lovely. The pacers were great fun and helped keep a firm and steady pace for the first few miles. I took the hills as an opportunity to push out in front of them, and reeled them back in on the uphills. I kept the five hour pacers in sight for all the race and I was really happy with my pacing throughout. The atmosphere was amazing and the support from both runners and supporters was unbelievable.

1 - 11.31
    2 - 11.13
    3 - 11.22
    4 - 10.52
    5 - 11.08
    6 - 11.19
    7 - 11.34
    8 - 10.52
    9 - 11.08
    10 - 11.00
    11 - 11.25
    12 - 11.34
    13 - 11.28
    14 - 11.40
    15 - 11.43
    16 - 11.52
    17 - 11.25
    18 - 11.08
    19 - 11.00
    20 - 11.02
    21 - 10.57
    22 - 11.43
    23 - 11.13
    24 - 11.08
    25 - 10.44
    26 - 10.03

OMG Aisling, I hope you are okay, what an amazing pace throughout. You so deserved that medal. Mind yourself

I had an amazing day yesterday out in the sun watching some amount of heroes completing their first (or a red-do of their first) marathon!! Well done to each and everyone of you, you are all amazing. I hope you're all still smiling over what you achieved yesterday, regardless of the pain or cramps or heartaches you endured. You got there. You're all my inspiration for DCM 2020 :pac:

It was really lovely to meet so many of you in McGrattan's yesterday too, and thanks so so much for the very generous gift! I'll have to wear the t-shirt on a run soon :)

Recover well now lads, don't be rushing out to get the miles back in. Take a well deserved break, tell everyone you meet that you ran a marathon (One of my fave jokes: How do you know someone ran a marathon? They'll tell you.), and listen to your bodies when you do eventually head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭3boyz

Hi folks,
    Great to read your race reports, am so sorry the day didn't go well for banana leaf and ais_byrne, you both are amazing to have finished what has to be one of the most difficult experiences you will ever encounter. Be very proud of yourselves, you have managed something that only a small minority of people ever do.

Yesterday was the strangest day, it was the best day ever and yet it was mixed with complete pain, discomfort and hardship, marathon runners we must be sadists! The day started off well, up after not too bad a nights sleep, myself and my husband were running so the run up was a bit busy to say the least trying to organize the kids etc. But our gentleman taxi driver arrived and dropped us off just after 8 where we headed up to bag drop and met up with my friend. Hubbie headed off to wave 2 where he was chasing a sub 4 hour marathon, he had 2 previous DCM's of 4.04 so sub 4 was something he really wanted. Myself and my friend headed up to wave 3. We agreed to run our own race, but stayed together until the last minute, she is faster and stronger so I didnt want to hold her back at any stage. We wished each other well and all of sudden the race had started.

I was a bit nervous about starting in wave 3 as I was worried that I would be trampled on, it was ok in the end, I just did my best to keep my pace easy and try and not go out too fast.

Miles 1-8 were ok, I was conscious of going to fast but I went on feel, and I wasnt breathing too heavily or working too hard so I just ploughed along conscious all the time that I would go to fast and blow up. The crowd support was amazing and some friends popped up in Castleknock that I wasnt expecting and that gave me a great boost. Met another dear friend at Knockmaroon Hill and this again gave me a huge boost. Was feeling good at this stage. Took a gel at mile 5.

Miles 9-14 were a mix of good and bad. I was still feeling great, took a gel at the 10 mile mark and continue on and hit the hill on St. Laurences Road, oh my god, that flipping hill, it absolutely drained me and I took it as slow as I could. Miles 11 and 12 passed and I felt a bit like , flip how am I going to get to the end of this. I passed the half way mark and two women ran past me and said to each other, pity this isnt the finish line, I was thinking the very same. I also clocked at this stage that my first half had definitely been too fast. I had done exactly what I was told not too, :eek: I could have cried. All I could think of was Frash's race report where the exact same thing had happened to him, at a very similar pace, and all I could think was how in gods name I would get to the finish line. I stopped at mile 14 and took a gel, water and stretched and got back running. At this stage I just had to pull up my big girl pants and keep going. I decided I would just slow down and try and keep going for as long as I could. I had always had a plan that if I just made it to mile 20 I would walk, run and crawl the last 6 miles.

Miles 15-22 are a blur, this area was all unfamiliar to me so I had no idea where I was and my mind went blank as to where to expect hills, drags or inclines of any sort. It was also at this point that the water stations appeared to vanish, up to this point the stations seemed to be fairly regularly, but somehow I seem to have missed a station or just didnt take some water when I should have. Anyway at mile 18 I needed to take another gel but only had a mouthful of water to wash it down with. This I did and continued on desperately scanning the crowd for anyone that had a bottle of water in their hand. Then we passed a section that was full of empty water bottles and I nearly cried, they were all empty and I would have drank out of any one of them if there was water in them. I trudged on and eventually saw a sign for water station, yippee, and I nearly cried again as i got near it, flipping plastic cups, I was really annoyed here. At the end of the day we were the slower runners so had been on course for longer and it was warm at that stage, plastic cups really didnt cut the mustard at this point. (Sorry for the rant but this was really a low point for me). I think it might have also been at this point as I passed a couple watching us run, the woman commented to the man she was with, "christ half of them look dead" not what you might want to hear but I realised at this point that I was at the worst point if I got through this I was very nearly there.
    I hit so many walls at this stage I had no idea if I had hit heart break hill or where the hell it was. I want to add though that I was still actually enjoying the whole experience, this is why I think we are a bunch of sadists :). The support along the way and people shouting your name gives you such a boost and while I was struggling I still kept telling myself I was so lucky to be running a marathon on a beautiful sunny day, something this time last year I would have never said I would manage. I was amazed how I could go from barely moving my legs, at one point my arms were going faster than my feet, to suddenly be back in a fairly comfortable stride and be back running at a reasonable pace again. Anyway with my mind still on water I made it to Fosters avenue and prayed that my friend would be at the bottom of it with water, it was a long shot but I flew down fosters avenue and there she was I literally grabbed the water thanked her and kept going.

Mile 23-26.2 - I couldnt believe it I was still moving!! I just had to get to mile 25 and the embassy and I wouuld see my boys, I gathered myself, walked a little bit, took out a bag of jellies, struggled to open the bag, nearly choked on a tiny jelly, how can kids inhale bags of these things, when it must have taken me 5 mins to eat one and that neary killed me. Got myself toghether and shuffled on until I came to my brother and the boys, stopped to hug each of them, eldest told me how proud he was and younger two ran along the path beside me for a few metres, it was amazing and made the whole experience so worth it. At that moment in time I was supermom, not the usual nagging one :rolleyes:. They gave me such a lift and this is my proudest moment, it was like they were a power bank and I just took off and literally sprinted the last half a mile, I was soo thrilled to see the finish line. I was buzzing, I'm sure people thought I was nuts but I was just so absolutely thrilled that I had done it, I'd run a marathon and omg look at the time, what the heck, I could have done a dance, except the rigour mortis literally kicked in by the time I'd got my tshirt. :)

Anyway apologies for the essay, running a marathon was a major itch I've needed scratch, its done now, I will be happy to stick with halfs, maybe a 10 mile or two but really don't think I'll do another.

Incidentally my other half achieved his sub 4, just about 3.58 he is thrilled and my friend too came in on target at 4.17 so it was a great day all round.

Thanks again to the mentors for the advice and encouragement it really was greatly appreciated. The best of luck to everyone in all your future running xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

3am wake up due to need to use the jacks after all the water intake from previous day - no chance of getting back asleep for me unfort, but on plus side, had five hours straight kip so wasn't complaining. Had toast and 2 bananas at 6am and did double followed by triple check on contents for my bag.

I'd Imagine Mr Guappa wouldn't have approved of this but I cycled the 10km into the race and dumped my bike nearby in work. I like to control the controllables so I wasnt doing it as a warm up, but more of a need to keep me relaxed as had no other guaranteed way to make it in at time I wanted to. Dropping the bike at work, also allowed me to use the facilities before walking up to the start line. It was a very slow cycle and as I approached town, saw people with their Marathon hats and bags coming out of hotels. It was starting to sink in now what I was about to experience.
    Ended up been a bit tight for time after queuing for what seemed like for ever to use portaloo just before start. Got into green wave and managed to squeeze myself up between 3.30 and 3.40 pacers just before the gun.

Miles 1-5

Got up to level with 3.30 pacers towards end of first mile and basically ran next to them for the next four miles. Bout mile 2, one of the pacers balloon burst to massive cheers to all around us. Even though I was running very comfortably and had the brakes on as such, I felt what seemed like the start of the stich as we crossed the liffey after christ church. It subsided a few mins later thank god.

Mile 5.5

I had planned to stay with 3.30 pacers at the very least up to mile 7 or 8 as per advice on here and then if i felt i had the energy, id speed up the pace by 15 seconds or so a mile. For whatever reason, this started naturally happening on Chesterfield avenue and as we left the park for the first time, I looked behind me for the one and only time in the race to see I had created a bit of space between myself and pacers. Popped a gel around now.

Mile 6 -11

I don't remember huge amounts about any of these miles because I got it into my head that I needed to p1ss so thats all my mind could focus on. I do remember putting the brakes on a bit going down that Tower road as i remembered how fast I went down on it during half. Had the portaloo break on the sarsfield road and as it turns out, it wasn't in my head, I really needed to go. Shot out of the portaloo like Clark Kent had just transfomed into superman. 30 seconds later I noticed i had 6 mins 20 seconds pace appearing on my garmin, so was telling myself to slow down there Usain Bolt. Popped 2nd gel around mile 11.

Mile 12-15

Happy with my pace all during this section. I really enjoyed the race here. I don't know the area that well, I certainly havn't run around it anyway. I thought the crowds were awesome around Rialto, Dolphins barn, and particularly special around the walkinstown roundabout, Proper hairs standing up on the back of my neck type stuff. I remember thinking to myself at this stage, inject me with all this marathon lark, I'm absolutely loving it.

I had already given a few high fives to kids coming out of phoenix park but i really kicked it up a gear here. I was looking out for the smallest kids who had their hand out and making sure I planted a high 5 on any of them. I was thinking how much my 4 year old would be happy with that so that was my thought process. At one stage an older kid put his hand for a high five so stretched to reach him but the lil cheeky pub pulled it away last second - Gave me a giggle, as I heard his dad saying to him , u have to stop doing that now. Halfway split was 1.43.01

Mile 16-19

Unintentionally, had increased pace a few more seconds per mile here, was feeling really good and know the area really well. I was conscious there was a long way to go but at same time, didnt want to put on the brakes right now as life was good and I was a superstar right now in my head. I heard a couple of shouts for me around Terenure and Rathgar but couldnt spot who with crowds around there.popped 3rd gel around mile 16.

Mile 19.5

Had a mate outside the dropping well with my 4th gel.Told him id be there between 11.30-11.35. I think I arrived at 11.33 so i was happy with my timing there. He gave me a great handover where i didnt have to break stride. I blew him a kiss for whatever reason and then I heard an ex college mate give a me a shout here too. I forgot then due to this to look out for Huzzah and ReeReeG, although as I mentioned briefly to ReeReeG in McGrattans, I wouldnt even know what/who to look for.

Miles 20-22

This was going to be special section for me. The latter part of my 21 mile training run was here a few weeks ago where I did this section on tired legs. I knew I could do it and kept this thought it my head on that long drag up Clonskeagh Road. The special part been my wife, kids, parents, inlaws and close family friends were all going to be on the top of Heartbreak Hill. I had planned the previous day how was my four year old going to give me this last gel. He wanted to be involved and I was all for it. We practiced how the hand off was so I wouldnt stop but more high 5 them all and smile and whip the gel of him.

I spotted my parents half way up the hill and high fived them followed soon after by the bro in law. I was now on the look out for my wife and son but the crowds were bigger than i expected. To my delight, I spotted them and my young fella looked a bit overwhelmed and i was emotional so i changed plan a bit here and stopped and gave him a big hug and took the gel and off I kicked. ....... BOOM immediately I felt cramp in my left hamstring as i limped off down fosters avenue. I cursed myself for stopping. I had felt so comfortable all the way up to this point, that I just didn't see it coming. I eased up going down fosters avenue and I felt like I may have shaked it off.

Miles 22.5- Finish

Went over the UCD bridge, felt ok again.
    As i was approaching RTE, my hamstring gave me a reminder twitch again followed by another twitch in my right calf. I knew at this stage, I was going to be in a world of pain within the next few minutes as from previous experience playing football over the years, these things dont just go away.
    As i was saying to Laineyfrecks in McGrattans, I felt for 22 miles this Marathon was grand, not easy in the slightest but very manageable for me. Suddenly, it was anything but... I turned off nutley lane and headed towards home. I was fearing the next 2 miles.
    BOOM. Both calves and both hamstrings tightened up to the stage I felt I was no longer in control of my legs. It felt surreal, It was almost like I was in a parralel universe and it wasnt really happening. Eventually It became too much pain and I had to stop and stretch for few seconds. No doubt about it, I panicked.I started again and felt the pain had lessened a bit and found a pace i think i could finish at. It was slower but I was going in the right direction.
    I looked at the watch, did the maths and realised, I had the sub 3.30 target hit, even it i had to slow to walk but I really didn't want to walk over the line.
    I wanted to finish this marathon on my terms. I gritted my teeth, thought as positive as I can and ran that last mile with everything I had, displaying the cheesiest fake smile one could ever see. I'm done. I'm thrilled.. 3.25.20.

Had a couple of pints in Mcgrattans- Great to put a few faces to names. Thank you very much to the three mentors. They really were excellent. Skyblue , you got me interested in that Amsterdam Marathon next year. Without a shadow of a doubt despite the pain at the finish, I will definitely run another marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

It really is lovely reading these race reports and understanding what the marathon meant to so many people and the sacrifices that people made to ensure that they gave themselves the best opportunity in the race.

It also shows that sport isn't fair you dont always get out of it what you deserve.

In terms of my race report it's a work in progress, I've still yet to fully understand how I feel about it.

I'm sure most people are familiar with it already but I'm just going to paste it in anyway, one of my favorite quotes from Teddy Roosevelt hopefully someone can get something out of it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

It really is lovely reading these race reports and understanding what the marathon meant to so many people and the sacrifices that people made to ensure that they gave themselves the best opportunity in the race.

It also shows that sport isn't fair you dont always get out of it what you deserve.

In terms of my race report it's a work in progress, I've still yet to fully understand how I feel about it.

I'm sure most people are familiar with it already but I'm just going to paste it in anyway, one of my favorite quotes from Teddy Roosevelt hopefully someone can get something out of it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
    Thank you. That is amazingly perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Posted my race report in my training log here if anyone is having trouble getting to sleep tonight

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111628870&postcount=94

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Should i be in bed asleep...yes but for some reason i can't sleep so will get my race report up!

I think it was safe to say i was pretty excited about running my 1st marathon...think i may have mentioned it once or twice ;)
    I went to bed about 10 conscious that the clocks went back. Woke at 1, 2, 3 & 4 but thankfully it wasn't a problem falling back asleep! Got up at about 6.15 & went to make my porridge & the kids 'hilariously ' had left this bloody scary looking Halloween woman decoration right at the kitchen door which scared the life out of me! Put it in the group whats app & got some very funny replies...mainly god the marathon training has really affected you & even braver was 'is that a mirror:eek:
    Made my porridge & drank some water with a zero tab in it! Got dressed & headed off to meet my work mate at the luas! He was on his 3rd Dublin marathon hoping for a sub 4 this time. Was a relief going in with him as i have been known to get lost so was nice to be with someone who had done it all before. Dropped off our bags went to the loo then headed off to our wave 3. Thankfully there wasn't much waiting around, we wished each other the best of luck & headed off. The excitement was unreal - finally i was running my 1st marathon!

Miles 1 - 7 8.58,8.32,8.57,8.44,8.44,8.39,8.45

Started off fine, slow but steady. It wss very congested for a couple of miles but wasn't too panicky about time as i wanted to e marginally slower for my 1st half. The weather was fab, discarded of my home made arm warmers & gloves fairly lively. I took a water at the 1st station handy enough & put half a zero tab init & just sipped on it, never through it away. Took a gel at 30mins & decided to go with this the whole way around. Going through the park was nice, a fair bit of support so the smiles & high 5's began :D Read somewhere about little things bothering you...in the park a man in front of me was running his marathon with lots of coins bouncing around in his back pocket!! Very very annoying, who the hell brings a load of change running a marathon???? I really really wanted to go behind him, open the zip & watch the coins fall out one by one but i didn't instead i got ahead of him!

Miles 8 - 14 8.31,8.12,8.18,8.37,8.21,8.18,8.36

The buzz & support in Castleknock was amazing!! Who ever thought of getting your name put on your top is pure genius! People called my name & cheered, keep smiling elaine, great pace elaine, amazing charity elaine! It really was a lovely boost & did make me grin from ear to ear! Passed through inchicore & got an almighty cheer from a friend in work which meant the world to me!Had to use the toilet as my bladder felt so heavy, was raging as I'd never had to stop for loo breaks on my training runs but felt so much better when i came out! Continued on through Crumlin & felt good, it actually just seemed to pass so quickly & all of a sudden i was at walkinstown roundabout being called again by friends with their kids who all got high 5's & smiles! Honestly i couldn't believe i was half way there & practically spot on timewise:eek:

Miles 15 - 21 8.25,8.24,8.30,8.15,8.14,8.09,7.55

Again the crowds & support along the whole way were amazing! I ate quite a few jaffa cakes along the way which was a nice alternative to the gels! I took a water at almost every station and added half a zero tab and carried it with me till it was gone, constantly sipping it! Got to Milltown & still felt very comfortable, ran up the hill & some woman commented my god elaine thats some pace coming up that hill, was straight away worried i might pay for that later on! Headed on up to Roebuck road where my hubby said he'd be with my son, frantically scanned each side but couldn't see them.

Miles 22 - finish 8.26, 8.39,7.42,7.59,7.49,3.07

Continued on still frantically searching. My heart was thumping, i felt like crying! My boy has Sensory processing disorder & anxiety issues a long with it so up till a few weeks ago getting him to willingly want to come to a crowded area with lots of noise would have been impossible. He worked so hard on his signs & i knew he'd be heartbroken not to see me. The smiles & high 5's stopped, i couldn't even hear if people were calling my name! I hoped & prayed i would see him but nothing. All of a sudden i felt so deflated! After the Stillorgan road i thought nope you're not gonna see him:( i ran with a heavy heart but knew i had to snap out of it! I had trained hard so had to keep going! Then i thought the quicker i get to my phone the quicker i can speak to him. I seen Skyblue again here & he gave me a few words of encouragement so I started picking up pace & smiling again as the cheers from the crowds also spurred me on! Grat pace Elaine keep going, strong running almost there it truly was amazing. I seen the finish but my god it felt like the longest mile ever!!! Finally i got to the blue mat & smiled the biggest smile ever when i seen my time!! Holy s#@t 3:42:47...i had smashed it!!! I'd achieved my dreamtime & more :)

I kept walking towards the medals & burst out crying, all i wanted was my phone! I meet passinginterest here & i was so happy to see a friendly face!! We chatted while i composed myself & congratulated eachother before heading off:)

I got to my phone & rang my hubby they were all in the car! I lied & told my son i seen him because he cried when he didn't see me! I got them to send me pics of the posters & i described them to him so he was thrilled & i could hear the excitement in his voice:D My smile was the biggest it had been all day & when i put the phone down it hit me properly...holy s@#t i just ran a marathon!!! My marathon training song was one moment in time & i truly felt this was MY moment in time :)

I headed off then to meet my daughter her boyfriend & some other friends including Sandra for whom i was running for her choosen charity...well i presume yis can all guess what happened next...yep i cried again!

Once they left i headed off with my Google maps to find McGrattons. Was so nice to finally meet so many people. Treviso can i just say i absolutely love Fiona & tell her i told Scott about the superpowers & he loves the idea!

For my very 1st marathon physically & mentally most of the way I felt great! I am so grateful to have had such an amazing experience as i know how easily things can go wrong!

I would like to thank the mentors & every single person who helped me along the way. I was truly humbled by the messages of support & well wishes from people...all it takes is one kind gesture :)

DCM 2019 you were amazing!! Will i be back for more...hell yeah ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Fab report. You made me laugh at wanting to watch that fell’s coins fall out of his pocket.

You a ran a great race ... well planned and executed and couldn’t ask for a better finish. I’m so delighted for you.

It was great to meet you after too. Sorry we didn’t get to chat more. I love marathon day but was under pressure to meet loads of different people in different places this year.

Looking forward to seeing where you go from here. The sky is the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Treviso wrote: »
    Posted my race report in my training log here if anyone is having trouble getting to sleep tonight

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111628870&postcount=94

Wow what a fantastic race. Congratulations 🌟

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sorbet

Great report Trevor. Was so great to meet you both in McGrattans. Both so positive and encouraging to a slower runner like myself. Well done on both your achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I had an amazing day yesterday out in the sun watching some amount of heroes completing their first (or a red-do of their first) marathon!! Well done to each and everyone of you, you are all amazing. I hope you're all still smiling over what you achieved yesterday, regardless of the pain or cramps or heartaches you endured. You got there. You're all my inspiration for DCM 2020 :pac:

It was really lovely to meet so many of you in McGrattan's yesterday too, and thanks so so much for the very generous gift! I'll have to wear the t-shirt on a run soon :)

Recover well now lads, don't be rushing out to get the miles back in. Take a well deserved break, tell everyone you meet that you ran a marathon (One of my fave jokes: How do you know someone ran a marathon? They'll tell you.), and listen to your bodies when you do eventually head out.

In my novel of a race report I forgot to mention seeing you guys and your Mr G sign in Milltown and shouting Boardies coz everybody's usernames and re ask names were blurred in my brain. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

I’ve done the marathon before in 2015. My legs turned to lead at mile 20 that year and I ended up finishing in 5:10.

This yeah I’ve done more training so that’s not going to happen again. Right?

I did the half in September in 2:05:55 and my PB for the distance (same race the previous year) is 2:00:00 so in theory a time between 4:30 and 4:40 was perfectly achievable

1 11:23 Started off closer to the 4:50 pacers than the 4:40 ones just to make sure I started off slow. Maybe this was too slow but it was quite congested.
    2 10:49 Still slower than 4:40 pace.
    3 10:40 4:40 pace
    4 10:17 Chesterfield Ave – I knew it was a hill but felt very comfortable for the next few miles
    5 10:20
    6 10:27
    7 10:17
    8 9:58 Got a bit carried away by the Castleknock crowd & the band playing ACDC when I hit the first decent downhill.
    9 10:12
    10 10:18
    11 10:26 Caught up with the 4:40 pacers around here somewhere & attached my bungee cord
    12 10:27
    13 10:38 I went through the half way mark in 2:17 (a minute faster than my 2015 marathon)
    14 10:58
    15 11:01
    16 10:46
    17 11:27 The 4:40 pacers lost me around here as the hips started to tighten
    18 11:22
    19 12:37 It was around here I passed ReeReeG, Huzzah! and some others and I knew I was fecked.
    20 13:37 Really starting to struggle here as the pain in my hips works its way into my thighs
    21 15:42 Started walking here and walked the rest of it in. Tried running but could not. Tried jogging but it was slower than my walk.
    22 18:45
    23 18:06
    24 19:42 Considered going to the medics here as I was freezing & seeking out any bit of sun to warm me up but didn’t.
    25 19:14
    26 18:00 Finished in 5:33:57

I said that evening "never again" but Mrs Frash was “no, that’s bullsh1t – you can’t let the distance beat you” so maybe I will be back but not next year – I need to forget a lot of what I went through in those last 6 miles.

If I do do it again I think I need a plan with PMP miles in it – I’ve done the HHN1 twice now but I just don’t think it works for me.

Sorry I never made the pub but after my wife was standing waiting for me with the 4 kids I wasn’t going to suggest going to the pub to meet some randomers from the internet.

Finally thanks to Mr G and all the mentors for great advice along the way & a very enjoyable training thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

anyone know if you can order the tags with your name and time on them online?
    didn't get one at the half marathon or last years DCM and would like to get some to put on medals as a way to see progress

• Advertisement

3boyz wrote: »
    Mile 23-26.2 - I couldnt believe it I was still moving!! I just had to get to mile 25 and the embassy and I wouuld see my boys, I gathered myself, walked a little bit, took out a bag of jellies, struggled to open the bag, nearly choked on a tiny jelly, how can kids inhale bags of these things, when it must have taken me 5 mins to eat one and that neary killed me. Got myself toghether and shuffled on until I came to my brother and the boys, stopped to hug each of them, eldest told me how proud he was and younger two ran along the path beside me for a few metres, it was amazing and made the whole experience so worth it. At that moment in time I was supermom, not the usual nagging one :rolleyes:. They gave me such a lift and this is my proudest moment, it was like they were a power bank and I just took off and literally sprinted the last half a mile, I was soo thrilled to see the finish line. I was buzzing, I'm sure people thought I was nuts but I was just so absolutely thrilled that I had done it, I'd run a marathon and omg look at the time, what the heck, I could have done a dance, except the rigour mortis literally kicked in by the time I'd got my tshirt. :)

Anyway apologies for the essay, running a marathon was a major itch I've needed scratch, its done now, I will be happy to stick with halfs, maybe a 10 mile or two but really don't think I'll do another.

Incidentally my other half achieved his sub 4, just about 3.58 he is thrilled and my friend too came in on target at 4.17 so it was a great day all round.

Thanks again to the mentors for the advice and encouragement it really was greatly appreciated. The best of luck to everyone in all your future running xx

Congrats, you did it!! And a lot of us say we'll never do another... give it a few days :rolleyes:

Advertisement