Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sorbet

Also what's the plan for Mcgrattans? Is it just go there after the race or for a particular time? My hotel is literally on its doorstep so it'd be fairly rude not to stop in.

We know where the after party is now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Anyone else starting to get nervous and really doubt themselves? I had so many negative thoughts throughout the 5miles today.

Also what's the plan for Mcgrattans? Is it just go there after the race or for a particular time? My hotel is literally on its doorstep so it'd be fairly rude not to stop in.

Is there anything in particular given you negative thoughts? Nerves are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

There will be a group of Boardsies in McGs. People will start to arrive as they finish their marathons and will be there till the evening anyway, so there is no particular time.
    DBB wrote: »
    Ah no... the very least I'd expect is a sign with all our names on it. Every one of us novices. I'll expect no less.

*looks out for sign the size of a house at Milltown*
    :D:D:D

And now they want a sign :D

Thanks Huzzah! :)

Sorry if my message wasn't that clear, what I meant was, I'd love to aim for the 5 hour mark, but just wondering am I better starting off my pacing splits for 5.15 and speeding up? Just not entirely sure of what splits to aim for :)

Also - my gym is on Lower Leeson st and they have said I can leave stuff there - does baggage take time? Considering doing that if it is timely enough, as I'll be in and out of the gym quick enough :)

Gotcha. Definitely a conservative start is key to DCM. How does 12:05 minute miles/7:30 per km to start with sound?

It's up to you on the bag drop. I don't believe it will take any time, so go with ever option you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Is there anything in particular given you negative thoughts? Nerves are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

There will be a group of Boardsies in McGs. People will start to arrive as they finish their marathons and will be there till the evening anyway, so there is no particular time.

I'd say the main thing while I was running around was thoughts of not being able to keep the pace for any length of time which is a bit silly as I kept it for the half and I've a 10 minute buffer on my half to the half time I'd like on Sunday.

Then there is the thoughts of failing it by not finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

I'll settle for flapjacks tbh, will need the energy for them hills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

“It’s us from the internet” will suffice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The tracker is now live so you should be able to search for yourself, and send the link to family and friends. It just got a little bit more real :)

https://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINM-2019#/tracker

Having spent a couple of years following people on the tracker in awe at what they were doing, I was very proud to see my name up there last year, and to know that others were following my progress. You should be proud too - not many people do what you will do on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

IMPORTANT

I've only just realised - the clocks go back this weekend! That is, during the night on Saturday night in to Sunday morning.

Adjust your sleep and travel plans accordingly!

On the plus side, it means an extra hour's sleep, but it could easily throw you out of whack if you're not ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Am I ready?
    Physically, I must be ready. The 3m PMP today was tough enough while I was doing it, but I feel okay in the aftermath. Hamstrings maybe a bit achy, but nothing major. To be totally honest, PMP still feels too much to maintain for 26.2, but I think it is, as we have been told umpteen times at this stage, all in our heads. When I took my mind off my pace, I noticed it creeping up.

The way it has fallen in work, this week is a very busy week. Tomorrow will work out being a 12hr shift, including travel time. I'm definitely doing what I can to minimise the stress, but I'm not sleeping great, despite being offline by 9pm normally (making the exception to write this as I won't find the time otherwise) and in bed for 10pm. I don't have to get up until 7:30am, so at the very least I'm giving myself 9.5hrs off my feet. I'd say I'm lucky if I'm sleeping for 6 of those hrs.

As I have mentioned before, my dad isn't well. He won't be there to support me on the day and I don't think any of my family will either. I think they have forgotten about it because, in fairness, in our household it really isn't the priority at the moment.

I haven't filled out the table yet. It's strange. If I use a skydiving analogy (I've never done a skydive so the cheek of me really :pac: ) ....

Signing up to the marathon back in November was like the "hell yeah, I'll do a skydive. No problem. I love a bit of excitement" stage. Joining the novices thread was the next step. Kind of like actually booking the skydive. "Yep. I'm doing this. Not a bother on me." Then the training. Not unlike actually getting into the plane and heading up for the skydive. "Hey, look at me, I'm doing it! Sure we're marathoners already lads, there's no going back! And sure why would you want to?" But now. here it is. The prediction table. The plane door has opened. The moment of truth. And I'm bricking it. Can I do it? This it it. Those who have helped me to get this far can do no more for me. They've gotten me ready, they've made sure I'm able, but I have to take over now. It's up to me. The jump itself will be fine. Once I'm out there, I'll love it. But I have to commit...

I will fill that table out :rolleyes: I just have to go find me nerve ...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sorbet

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Am I ready?
    Physically, I must be ready. The 3m PMP today was tough enough while I was doing it, but I feel okay in the aftermath. Hamstrings maybe a bit achy, but nothing major. To be totally honest, PMP still feels too much to maintain for 26.2, but I think it is, as we have been told umpteen times at this stage, all in our heads. When I took my mind off my pace, I noticed it creeping up.

The way it has fallen in work, this week is a very busy week. Tomorrow will work out being a 12hr shift, including travel time. I'm definitely doing what I can to minimise the stress, but I'm not sleeping great, despite being offline by 9pm normally (making the exception to write this as I won't find the time otherwise) and in bed for 10pm. I don't have to get up until 7:30am, so at the very least I'm giving myself 9.5hrs off my feet. I'd say I'm lucky if I'm sleeping for 6 of those hrs.

As I have mentioned before, my dad isn't well. He won't be there to support me on the day and I don't think any of my family will either. I think they have forgotten about it because, in fairness, in our household it really isn't the priority at the moment.

I haven't filled out the table yet. It's strange. If I use a skydiving analogy (I've never done a skydive so the cheek of me really :pac: ) ....

Signing up to the marathon back in November was like the "hell yeah, I'll do a skydive. No problem. I love a bit of excitement" stage. Joining the novices thread was the next step. Kind of like actually booking the skydive. "Yep. I'm doing this. Not a bother on me." Then the training. Not unlike actually getting into the plane and heading up for the skydive. "Hey, look at me, I'm doing it! Sure we're marathoners already lads, there's no going back! And sure why would you want to?" But now. here it is. The prediction table. The plane door has opened. The moment of truth. And I'm bricking it. Can I do it? This it it. Those who have helped me to get this far can do no more for me. They've gotten me ready, they've made sure I'm able, but I have to take over now. It's up to me. The jump itself will be fine. Once I'm out there, I'll love it. But I have to commit...

Love it, brilliant post. I must have something in my eye :o boards family there to celebrate with you Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Am I ready?

Sorry to hear about your dad... can't be easy training for a marathon with such worries on your mind also.

Just on the bolded bit:
    We may have pointed you in the right direction, but you've run the miles, you've gotten yourself this far, you've gotten yourself ready, you've made sure that you are able. It's been up to you all along and you've nailed it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your dad... can't be easy training for a marathon with such worries on your mind also.

Just on the bolded bit:
    We may have pointed you in the right direction, but you've run the miles, you've gotten yourself this far, you've gotten yourself ready, you've made sure that you are able. It's been up to you all along and you've nailed it.

Hear hear!
    I ran the Longwood ¾ with you bananaleaf, and taking it at our ease, we did it in 4 hours. It's not going to take *that* much more to achieve, or even beat your target time on Sunday, and enjoy it in the process :)
    I have every confidence in you, Mr Guappa has already expressed his confidence in you, and he should know :). Your dad will be thinking of you and there in spirit. And you've done all the work with great good heart and humour, we can see that in your posts.
    So. Let's do this. We're ready for it :)

I'm mentally drained the past few days. Finish work, get the kids to bed and I just hit this wall of mental exhaustion. Unsure if it's from overthinking things for the big day but if it is then Sunday can't come quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Am I ready?

Its hard to prioritise something when something deeper is going on but you've done it girl & as said you've done it with great humour & wit!! Maybe not as good as you're real family but we are all there! We have made this journey together & what a journey it has been :)
    You have encouraged & said some amazing things to me throughout this journey & believe it or not simple things like that really go a long way!
    You will do amazing & we will get to celebrate an amazing achievement :D

You will commit & you will achieve ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Best of luck now to all novices, soon to be graduates. Great work and tapering. I have it on observation and (also good authority) that yiz are a sound bunch altogether. It's always hard fitting marathon training around real life circumstances. Well done to the mentors again this year, they over 800 posts in the thread. Good thing about McGrattans, you’ll get to learn how to pronounce Mr Guappa's name. :pac: Take it handy out there early on, the first water station will probably be a little chaotic. You don’t have to stick to the pacers like glue the whole way. There was reference in a past thread to picturing an imaginary rubber band around them and that you can drift back and forth. You now know about respecting the distance, well drilled into you at this point. The day itself is an occasion and the training can’t really replicate (race series helps, yes) the emotions :o or scale. Enjoy it – plenty of people will be cheering you on – the kids are great, signs are gas. Try and put your feet up over next few weeks - well earned trip to the cinema, concert, etc. Some people may report feeling like wearing the medal into work on Tuesday. Don't think the mentors can advise on that one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm really excited for you all. I was in your position in this thread two years ago and I'm getting goosebumps reading here and thinking back about it.

You're all about to experience what will always be one of your top life events.

Something that sets you apart from thousands of others there on Sunday is how prepared you are.

We've all, everyone that's gone through it, been incredibly lucky to stumble upon this thread and benefit from the stellar advice and coaching from our mentors.

I personally know of people who've ran 8+ marathons making terrible mistakes and decisions around their training and strategy. Simple stuff that seems sensible without guidance.

Your decision to join this group, and the guidance you've received from it will make Sunday a day you will remember forever.

The very best of luck to all of you.

Enjoy every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

Great breakdown of the hills on the course in this post

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111588396&postcount=138

I'd say the main thing while I was running around was thoughts of not being able to keep the pace for any length of time which is a bit silly as I kept it for the half and I've a 10 minute buffer on my half to the half time I'd like on Sunday.

Then there is the thoughts of failing it by not finishing.

You've controlled all the controllables. The training is done. Try not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

Does anyone know if there is much of a gap crossing the start line between the back of a wave and the start of the next wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

akenno wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is much of a gap crossing the start line between the back of a wave and the start of the next wave?

Hmmm it's kinda hard to tell.. somewhere between 5-10 mins I reckon? If I remember correctly they're moving the next wave up towards the start line as the wave front are heading out so probably closer to the 5 mins

• Advertisement

py wrote: »
    I'm mentally drained the past few days. Finish work, get the kids to bed and I just hit this wall of mental exhaustion. Unsure if it's from overthinking things for the big day but if it is then Sunday can't come quick enough.

It's probably a bit of nervous energy that comes with a decreased training load as well. Sounds like you're ready to go to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

I've not checked yet but does anyone know if it is it possible to transfer my DCM ticket to someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

hoganj wrote: »
    I've not checked yet but does anyone know if it is it possible to transfer my DCM ticket to someone else?

It's not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Hmmm it's kinda hard to tell.. somewhere between 5-10 mins I reckon? If I remember correctly they're moving the next wave up towards the start line as the wave front are heading out so probably closer to the 5 mins

Thanks. Yeah that was what I was thinking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Just popping in to wish all of you the very best of luck on Sunday. I am excited and nervous for you all and I don't know any of you in "real life". Last year I ran my first and only marathon and it really was the most amazing day. The support on the route will get you through the tough miles.

You will never forget the thrill of crossing the finish line on Sunday. I hope you all have a great run, that you all experience the thrill and excitement of your first marathon and most of all enjoy every step. The work is done, you can do no more so just go and run the thing!

Well done to your mentors on a job well done.

Looking forward to reading all your race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

My work computer hasn't got the best functionality. Could someone please put 4:20 into the chart for me? :-o

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |passinginterest|03:59:30|
    |Naked Lepper|04:05:00|
    |Treviso|03:29:59|
    |Fraggle07|04:59:59|
    |DBB|04:59:59|
    |UNKNOWNABILITY|03:28:59|
    |kemcloughlin|05:59:59|
    |karlos80|04:10:00|
    |pd79|05:10:00|
    |doc76|04:59:59|
    |py|03:59:59|
    |Rega|04:15:00|
    |Sunday Runner|04:20:00|
    |Fowler87|04:22:00|
    |Wombled|05:09:00|
    |DeepBlue|03:49:59|
    |Lombardo123|03:59:59|
    |rizzee|04:39:59|
    |Lambay Island|03:30:00|
    |akenno|03:59:59|
    |Frash|04:35:00|
    |3boyz|04:35:00|
    |saffron22|04:15:00|
    |mister paul|03:27:59|
    |jackc101|04:15:00|
    |wpd|04:59:59|
    |Prospector1989|04:30:00|
    |DolG|05:15:00|
    |goldsalmon33|03:55:00|
    |DaaaaaaaaaaN|03:55:00|
    |Sorbet|04:40:00|
    |Marathon19|03:58:58|
    |Clareview|04:29:59|
    |greentea is just wrong|05:15:00|
    |Laineyfrecks|03:49:59|
    |Eabha19|04:30:00|
    |Ais_Byrne7|04:59:59|
    |Soulsun|05:00:00|
    |TillyDCM|04:59:59|
    |Clickhere|04:10:00|
    |kyomi|03:59:59|
    |ByrneDCMbrian|03:59:59|
    |limerick91|04:09:00|
    |Rojo|04:20:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

ReeReeG wrote: »

There's more time in between the waves this year to control the flow of runners over the course and finish line (mostly the latter I think), so it might be as much as 10 minutes.

Is there a cut off time for entering your wave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I think you can enter any time before the wave starts, otherwise u need to go into the next one.

Advertisement