Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I think you are well capable of dipping under the 5 hour mark, with a smartly run race. I'd suggest something similar to what I mentioned to Doc76 earlier - start around the 5 hour pacers, leave them drift away from you in the early going and reel them back in gradually once the course flattens out.

Thank you Mr G, would be nowhere without your help 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |passinginterest|03:59:30|
    |Naked Lepper|04:05:00|
    |Treviso|03:29:59|
    |Fraggle07|04:59:59|
    |DBB|04:59:59|
    |UNKNOWNABILITY|03:28:59|
    |kemcloughlin|05:59:59|
    |karlos80|04:10:00|
    |pd79|05:10:00|
    |doc76|04:59:59|
    |py|03:59:59|
    |Rega|04:15:00|
    |Sunday Runner|04:20:00|
    |Fowler87|04:22:00|
    |Wombled|05:09:00|
    |DeepBlue|03:49:59|
    |Lombardo123|03:59:59|
    |rizzee|04:39:59|
    |Lambay Island|03:30:00|
    |akenno|03:59:59|
    |Frash|04:35:00|
    |3boyz|04:35:00|
    |saffron22|04:15:00|
    |mister paul|03:27:59|
    |jackc101|04:15:00|
    |wpd|04:59:59|
    |Prospector1989|04:30:00|
    |DolG|05:15:00|
    |goldsalmon33|03:55:00|
    |DaaaaaaaaaaN|03:55:00|
    |Sorbet|04:40:00|
    |Marathon19|03:58:58|
    |Clareview|04:29:59|
    |greentea is just wrong|05:15:00|
    |Laineyfrecks|03:49:59|
    |Eabha19|04:30:00|
    |Ais_Byrne7|04:59:59|
    |Soulsun|05:00:00|
    |TillyDCM|04:59:59|
    |Clickhere|04:10:00|
    |kyomi|03:59:59|
    |ByrneDCMbrian|03:59:59|

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Limerick91

akenno wrote: »
    Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    |passinginterest|03:59:30|
    |Naked Lepper|04:05:00|
    |Treviso|03:29:59|
    |Fraggle07|04:59:59|
    |DBB|04:59:59|
    |UNKNOWNABILITY|03:28:59|
    |kemcloughlin|05:59:59|
    |karlos80|04:10:00|
    |pd79|05:10:00|
    |doc76|04:59:59|
    |py|03:59:59|
    |Rega|04:15:00|
    |Sunday Runner|04:20:00|
    |Fowler87|04:22:00|
    |Wombled|05:09:00|
    |DeepBlue|03:49:59|
    |Lombardo123|03:59:59|
    |rizzee|04:39:59|
    |Lambay Island|03:30:00|
    |akenno|03:59:59|
    |Frash|04:35:00|
    |3boyz|04:35:00|
    |saffron22|04:15:00|
    |mister paul|03:27:59|
    |jackc101|04:15:00|
    |wpd|04:59:59|
    |Prospector1989|04:30:00|
    |DolG|05:15:00|
    |goldsalmon33|03:55:00|
    |DaaaaaaaaaaN|03:55:00|
    |Sorbet|04:40:00|
    |Marathon19|03:58:58|
    |Clareview|04:29:59|
    |greentea is just wrong|05:15:00|
    |Laineyfrecks|03:49:59|
    |Eabha19|04:30:00|
    |Ais_Byrne7|04:59:59|
    |Soulsun|05:00:00|
    |TillyDCM|04:59:59|
    |Clickhere|04:10:00|
    |kyomi|03:59:59|
    |ByrneDCMbrian|03:59:59|
    |limerick91|04:09:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

sjXhZMf.jpg

My kind of weather - nice & cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

frash wrote: »
    sjXhZMf.jpg

My kind of weather - nice & cold!

It does look like being nice and cold alright, so can everyone make sure they have throwaway clothes sorted for the hanging around before hand. A pair of gloves and hat that you discard after a few miles might be in order too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It does look like being nice and cold alright, so can everyone make sure they have throwaway clothes sorted for the hanging around before hand. A pair of gloves and hat that you discard after a few miles might be in order too.

Nice and cold??? Spare a thought for us spectators. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Given the colder weather. Are people going to change their attire much? I was thinking of just adding a short sleeved base layer under my short sleeve running t-shirt and keeping the shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

wore under armor long sleeved thing under t shirt last year and regretted it
    lost too much water from sweat and got dehydrated
    best to just wear a hoodie and throw it away at the start I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

py wrote: »
    Given the colder weather. Are people going to change their attire much? I was thinking of just adding a short sleeved base layer under my short sleeve running t-shirt and keeping the shorts.

You'll warm up soon enough, so I'd stick with what you had planned, and just have the extra layer for keeping warm while you're waiting to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

I picked up some gloves in Penneys and €3 woolly hat. I'll lose them when I warm up. I'll probably hold onto my sweatshirt for a mile or two and I assume there will be bins on the route to dispose of clothing items.

I have the mother of all headaches the past two days. I'm busy at work and at home and of course i'm coming down with something. I was full sure I was going to throw up this morning. Really struggling to get food into me too, so i'm going to go out at lunch and get a decent bite to eat. Bed early tonight with two hot water bottles I think.

I thought I would love this week, tapering and getting ready, but I keep second guessing everything I am doing or have done to date!

• Advertisement

I have the mother of all headaches the past two days. I'm busy at work and at home and of course i'm coming down with something. I was full sure I was going to throw up this morning. Really struggling to get food into me too, so i'm going to go out at lunch and get a decent bite to eat. Bed early tonight with two hot water bottles I think. !

That sounds rough and less than ideal this week of all weeks. Make sure you're getting plenty of water into you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Lashing the water and tea into me ReeReeG. I'm hoping an early night will do me the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I thought I would love this week, tapering and getting ready, but I keep second guessing everything I am doing or have done to date!

There's a reason it's called taper madness :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Last year's novices met up just before 8 directly across the road from the Shelbourne - it worked out pretty well. We got a nice "before" picture while we were all still in one piece :pac:

To add to this, and I'm sure it will be mentioned again, but ReeRee and I will be at Milltown to cheer you on. Please do keep an eye out for us as experience has shown, it will be easier for you to spot us than us to spot you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

Huzzah! wrote: »
    To add to this, and I'm sure it will be mentioned again, but ReeRee and I will be at Milltown to cheer you on. Please do keep an eye out for us as experience has shown, it will be easier for you to spot us than us to spot you!

How do we spot you though?
    Will you have signs?

Just in from what I think is my last run before the big one.
    3 miles easy.
    Going to skip the 2 miles tomorrow as calf is still slightly tight and I still don't have my "fresh legs" despite an Epsom salt bath last night. (I've another planned for Thursday night).

frash wrote: »
    How do we spot you though?
    Will you have signs?

Just in from what I think is my last run before the big one.
    3 miles easy.
    Going to skip the 2 miles tomorrow as calf is still slightly tight and I still don't have my "fresh legs" despite an Epsom salt bath last night. (I've another planned for Thursday night).

Em, are we not famous? We'll come up with an idea.

Don't worry about the lack of fresh legs. They're not due to be fresh until Sunday morning. No harm to skip a run, though, if the calf is tight.

Sorbet raised a query in a post yesterday regarding carb loading that’s worth exploring more.

I am by no means an expert on this, but I’ll do my best!

The first thing to note is that there is no need to go mad. Reduced training will have helped with carb loading. There is only so many carbs your body can store. The idea of eating a huge dinner of pasta and/or pizza the night before has fallen out of favour, which makes sense. This would certainly leave me feeling bloated and sluggish on race day.

What is recommended is eating a little more at each meal in the two or three days leading up to the race. Extra calories can be added in the form of simple carbs, ie pasta, rice etc. Tuc crackers are not the worst suggestion! I’ve seen it recommended that you have a biggish dinner on the Friday, with lunch being your main meal on the Saturday. Depending on how you’re feeling, dinner can then be smaller the night before the race. You may wish to have a high-carb supper before bed. It might be best to ensure this is low in fibre. Personally, eating close to bedtime would interfere with my sleep, so make sure and tailor the suggestions to your individual needs.

It might also be worth avoiding high-fat foods, such as oils, butter, and cheese, as well as those that contain high amounts of protein because they fill you up fast and take longer to digest than carbohydrates.

Try and plan your meals now. This goes particularly for those who will be travelling to the event and staying over the night before. You might want to bring snacks and drinks with you for the journey. Know what you will be eating for your main meal on the Saturday and how you’re getting breakfast on the Sunday.

Don’t forget hydration. Keep a drink with you at all times and sip on it throughout the day. At the same time, don't overdo it.

Don't restrict the salt in your diet. Low salt intake combined with excessive hydration can lead to hyponatremia.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

Don't worry about the lack of fresh legs. They're not due to be fresh until Sunday morning. No harm to skip a run, though, if the calf is tight.

Well it will be lovely to see ye, and to say thank you in person

As a solid reminder this week to keep the first 7 miles that bit more conservative, the latest podcast from Irish athlete Stephen Scullion (43rd in World Champs a few weeks back) discusses how he went 10 secs per mile faster up some of those hills than he'd intended in 2017, and how he feels this impacted the end result negatively! He had even studied Strava results from the years before in his research which showed to tackle the first 7 miles sensibly, and still he got caught up in the people around him and went too fast.

SO even an Olympic hopeful has the same thoughts :) And is susceptible to the same mistakes we can all make, but worth bearing in mind in the lead up to Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Hey Mentors,

I've been advised to aim for around 5.15, would love to try and make the 5.00 mark, but not sure if that is feasible.

Just wondering pacing wise (if I was going for this), what is a good split to aim for, for the start, middle, and end? Don't want to end up burning out too fast, but on same bat, don't want to be under-selling myself either.

Thanks!
    Nicola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Anyone else starting to get nervous and really doubt themselves? I had so many negative thoughts throughout the 5miles today.

Also what's the plan for Mcgrattans? Is it just go there after the race or for a particular time? My hotel is literally on its doorstep so it'd be fairly rude not to stop in.

Hey Mentors,

I've been advised to aim for around 5.15, would love to try and make the 5.00 mark, but not sure if that is feasible.

Just wondering pacing wise (if I was going for this), what is a good split to aim for, for the start, middle, and end? Don't want to end up burning out too fast, but on same bat, don't want to be under-selling myself either.

Thanks!
    Nicola

Hi there,

Do you mean a strategy for sub-5 or 5.15?

I wouldn't worry about underselling yourself. Honestly. You'll have run 26.2 miles. You probably won't feel like you left a whole lot out there, even if you run a strong race. I ran a conservative race and had a three-minute negative split. I was still really glad to be finished and don't think I left a huge amount time wise on the course, maybe a minute or two at most.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You could have a sign...

Boards novices
    Faster than Kipchoge
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

A few questions, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering some of these!
    • Regarding the Expo, is it easy to get in and out quickly? I'm going to either go late on Friday ir first thing Saturday morning.
    • On Sunday morning, is it very slow to get to the start? How early would you want to get in to the general area?
    • What's the bag drop like? Can you get it done pretty quickly? I'm thinking of not dropping bag there but would be good to know.
    • I'm planning to go in Wave 3 and will probably stay near the 4:00 pacers. Will they be at the front of the crowd or will they hang back a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

pc11 wrote: »
    • Regarding the Expo, is it easy to get in and out quickly? I'm going to either go late on Friday ir first thing Saturday morning.
    • On Sunday morning, is it very slow to get to the start? How early would you want to get in to the general area?
    • What's the bag drop like? Can you get it done pretty quickly? I'm thinking of not dropping bag there but would be good to know.
    • I'm planning to go in Wave 3 and will probably stay near the 4:00 pacers. Will they be at the front of the crowd or will they hang back a bit?

- if you are just collecting your number and race bag you will be in and out in minutes.

- it's a slow apprehensive stroll to the start area. It won't be overly congested as you head around to your starting area.

- the bag drop works like a well oiled machine. It's definitely the best place to leave your bag. It's also an extra incentive to make it back to the finish!

- they will have huge balloons floating over their heads. You won't miss them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You could have a sign...

Boards novices
    Faster than Kipchoge
    :pac:

Ah no... the very least I'd expect is a sign with all our names on it. Every one of us novices. I'll expect no less.

*looks out for sign the size of a house at Milltown*
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

pc11 wrote: »

4 hour pacers will be at the very front of wave 3

3:30 at front of wave 2
    4:00 at front of wave 3
    4:30 at front of wave 4

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Hi there,

Do you mean a strategy for sub-5 or 5.15?

I wouldn't worry about underselling yourself. Honestly. You'll have run 26.2 miles. You probably won't feel like you left a whole lot out there, even if you run a strong race. I ran a conservative race and had a three-minute negative split. I was still really glad to be finished and don't think I left a huge amount time wise on the course, maybe a minute or two at most.

Thanks Huzzah! :)

Sorry if my message wasn't that clear, what I meant was, I'd love to aim for the 5 hour mark, but just wondering am I better starting off my pacing splits for 5.15 and speeding up? Just not entirely sure of what splits to aim for :)

Also - my gym is on Lower Leeson st and they have said I can leave stuff there - does baggage take time? Considering doing that if it is timely enough, as I'll be in and out of the gym quick enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

People who’ve run in wave 4 before... Are there a lot of walkers/people run/walking 4-5 people across? Maybe going towards the back of the wave it’ll be less congested/frustrating? I’ve had a few instances of almost running into people who suddenly stop running and walk even early in the race (Jeff Galloway should’ve put a warning somewhere about watching around you/moving to the side before halting suddenly :) ) or maybe for a point of reference is the start of the marathon more or less congested as the women’s mini marathon for instance :)

Edited to add I have absolutely no issue at all with run/walkers just the ones who stop suddenly right in front of other runners :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Karlos80

Are you ready?
    Yes, waiting is the hard bit. All set, have my parking sorted, family sorted close to end line, warm clothes, gels, run gear all sorted. Expo early Friday. Need to charge watch/phone sat night. Don't forget clock change and the extra hour.
    Last few weeks are a lot busier, with assignments, work, kids sick, harder to make time for Runs, but got there. Finally found time to post this.
    Touch of maranoia setting in, on the vitamins and echinaccia to stave off bugs.
    Best of luck all, thanks for everyone's support, especially the mentors, ye really have gone all out. See ye Sunday.
    Now, hurry up and wait.

Advertisement