Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

chambers seems to think shes entitled to the entire speaking time, dobbo would want to put a boot in

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

(I didn't realise that we share LEA)
    It would be awful for her to win when Anto Larkin has shown himself to be hard working.
    Killeen has nothing to offer IMO! Apart from the Repeal stuff she has done nothing, not part of any local clubs or groups to my knowledge.

thats exactly it, I'm not a larkin fan at all, but the guy is around the town, he's a visible space. Aside from being rude to one of my mates when he refused a leaflet at the train station , Nuala hasn't been seen on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

who is the lady in the pink dress on RTE

Edit found it. If dobbo could get a word in he may have said it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looks like the RTÉ exit poll was off a fair bit. Fianna Fáil are polling 27% on first preference votes with 800 seats filled as opposed to the 23% predicted by the exit poll. FG are on 25% as opposed to 23% prediction.

Greens are on 5.7% as opposed to 9% predicted in the exit poll. 4% margin of error with the exit poll so not hugely surprising. Strong showing for Fianna Fáil all the same.

The exit poll over-predicted Ciaran Cuffe's vote by 5.5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,344 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In my area in 2014.(Fermoy)
    June Murphy SF.(Left them due to bullying).
    Kevin O'Keffee ff became a TD in 2016 and his sister Deirdre took his seat.
    Kay Dawson FG.
    Frankie Flynn. FF

This time around we had six seats.
    Elected on the first count
    Noel Mccarty FG topped the poll. He'd get a good solid vote in Fermoy.
    Frankie Flynn always does well.
    Deirdre O'Brien Not surprised she got elected FF blood and people seem to like her.
    William O Leary FF young guy from Rathcormac. I saw a good few people in their twenties on about him online and they wouldn't have being the strongest FF voters in the past.
    Elected after the third count
    Kay Dawson FG. She did better last time around and would have picked up the vote in Mitchelstown and got transfers off Noel.
    After a few counts.
    Frank Roche was elected. Independent. He's a farmer. He's always on about farming/making sure things don't get reposed/etc.

Failed to get seats.
    June Murphy SD this time around. She just didn't get enough votes. I don't know was she active enough in Fermoy. Even when the SD TD's came to visit the town it was on a very quiet morning.
    David Kenneally Labour. Haven't a clue about him.
    Helen White SF. Very poor vote for her but she's was always giving out about things.
    She also put posters up in town(Poster free) and even when it was pointed out to her. She didn't remove them. She only really had family canvassing for her and the others had friends/etc.

I'll include Frank Roche's campaign video!

https://www.facebook.com/426153377801486/videos/2258388154479332/?__xts__[0]=68.ARB2s-mKzX3qwxvHJkBnarrKRBDVKO6Q3GMnBSRVeNNLS0LUl-odWNO2kZikIY1ZTR5VfGPvJ80CS5F6rwlF5k7DJBdTJpKakxd27K4U8WxM4p35G3LgSw9luK7T3A0nkiv9GiVDHKiKYMvrRKOPtoGdJ1nfY7Han6tQJ2cnqRrtnh1iDpljgZqtzENdigs021y5bqsEVdIGVF04El-dfA7v_GlkkzIA-_U8E_-C3-kbv3COk8H4TY9KukRrNBVvm92o6Z0NLA_knP4g8ngwTs-_ApbCpGK2q-0Ec7SCloCU8uvwzesue2L0IWmYDgiFg9sJEtFJQXyIGjHvHtgoBX7j_-q_Ou9LKQ&__tn__=H-R

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Independents destroyed in my wider area as the tallies predicted - ex SF who played with joining Aontu is back in as Independent but those elected as such are all gone. Had that last one joined Aontu I suspect she'd have lost the seat to one of the unseated other Inds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

L1011 wrote: »
    Independents destroyed in my wider area as the tallies predicted - ex SF who played with joining Aontu is back in as Independent but those elected as such are all gone. Had that last one joined Aontu I suspect she'd have lost the seat to one of the unseated other Inds
    Been a poor show for Aontu outside Cavan and Meath. They cost Sinn Fein a lot of votes and seats though, even if they didn't win them.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

In Meath there is an independant - Sharon Keogan - who has stood in two neighbouring wards. She has been elected on the first count in one and looks like she may get elected on the second or third count in the other.

I'm surprised that someone is allowed to stand for election to two seats in the same council but she has done it so it must be within the rules.

Does anyone know what the rules are around this? Can a person elected in two wards just wait until the full results are in and then decide which of the two people who just missed out she prefers (or promises the most) and then effectively appoint them to the council? It doesn't seem fair to me if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If he couldn't get water charges across, I wouldn't worry too much about his endeavours to push through green policies and or taxes.

Sigh, what will it take for some people to realise that green policies are not all about taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭bren2001

Hurrache wrote: »
    Sigh, what will it take for some people to realise that green policies are not all about taxi.

I conduct research in the area of climate change and sustainable energy production and I would agree with many of the concepts the Green Party discuss.

While all of their policies are not about taxation, the way I see them, they are idealistic and suffer from 2 practical limitations.

1. If you want to move towards a carbon neutral society, you have to pay for it. It will require massive investment into public transport and cycle ways, grants for the installation of solar panels locally and larger tax breaks for the likes of the ESB etc. to move away from conventional high-capacity synchronous power plants based on fossil fuels and something in relation to the methane emissions from farming.

As a society we have to pay for all of this through general taxation and specific carbon taxes. If we tax industry, the additional cost will just be moved to the end user.

So while they are not all about taxation, it is a massive dilemna they will have to address. I have not heard Eamon Ryan give a detailed account of how the Green Parties will financially achieve their stated aims.

2. Due to the Irish political system, there is a huge amount of NIMBY stuff. There is only so far a single TD or Local Councillor can push before they run the risk of losing their seat. If the Greens are too aggressive, they will simply lose power (if they get any in the GE).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sparko

PCX wrote: »
    In Meath there is an independant - Sharon Keogan - who has stood in two neighbouring wards. She has been elected on the first count in one and looks like she may get elected on the second or third count in the other.

I'm surprised that someone is allowed to stand for election to two seats in the same council but she has done it so it must be within the rules.

Does anyone know what the rules are around this? Can a person elected in two wards just wait until the full results are in and then decide which of the two people who just missed out she prefers (or promises the most) and then effectively appoint them to the council? It doesn't seem fair to me if this is the case.

My understanding is that she has to choose one seat and then the council as a whole decides amongst themselves who is co-opted into the other seat. I'm not sure if that person necessarily has to be the next ranked person in the vote, I presume it'll all come down to horse trading between the councillors and dependent on who has overall power once the votes have been fully counted.

Although from reading comments on Facebook from the candidate in question she seems to think she can take both seats and seems intent on that, regardless of what the rules state. One to watch.

bren2001 wrote: »
    I conduct research in the area of climate change and sustainable energy production and I would agree with many of the concepts the Green Party discuss.

While all of their policies are not about taxation, the way I see them, they idealistic and suffer from 2 practical limitations.

1. If you want to move towards a carbon neutral society, you have to pay for it. It will require massive investment into public transport cycle ways, grants for the installation of solar panels locally and larger tax breaks for the likes of the ESB etc. to move away from conventional high-capacity synchronous power plants based on fossil fuels and something in relation to the methane emissions from farming.

As a society we have to pay for all of this through general taxation and specific carbon taxes. If we tax industry, the additional cost will just be moved to the end user.

So while they are no all about taxation, it is a massive dilemna they will have to address. I have not heard Eamon Ryan give a detailed account of how the Green Parties will financially achieve their stated aims.

2. Due to the Irish political system, there is a huge amount of NIMBY stuff. There is only so far a single TD or Local Councillor can push before they run the risk of losing their seat. If the Greens are too aggressive, they will simply lose power (if they get any in the GE).

But as you said you're only focusing on the wider environmental and climate issues. Their manifesto has details on little things like safe drop offs around schools, deposit and refund schemes where plastic bottle are used, increased green light time for pedestrian crossing to give priority over cars, promoting farming co-ops and markets. Simple things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Taxes/Charges whatever you want to call it the Green Agenda has to be paid for.

The Irish Electorate have decided they would like to pay for it on top of everything else. How righteous we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

While all of their policies are not about taxation, the way I see them, they idealistic and suffer from 2 practical limitations.

1. If you want to move towards a carbon neutral society, you have to pay for it. It will require massive investment into public transport cycle ways, grants for the installation of solar panels locally and larger tax breaks for the likes of the ESB etc. to move away from conventional high-capacity synchronous power plants based on fossil fuels and something in relation to the methane emissions from farming.

So while they are no all about taxation, it is a massive dilemna they will have to address. I have not heard Eamon Ryan give a detailed account of how the Green Parties will financially achieve their stated aims.

He is more than a bit strident about it and while one recognises the urgency he is not the one you want pitching it to the electorate. Higher taxes are an extremely hard sell, public transport much less so and incentivisation models for renewables is also something people can embrace, but you need them all and an actual cost figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Anyone got a count breakdown for leixlip ? osme sites declaring nuala killeen as elected now and I just want to see how the hell that happened.

But as you said you're only focusing on the wider environmental and climate issues. Their manifesto has details on little things like safe drop offs around schools, deposit and refund schemes where plastic bottle are used, increased green light time for pedestrian crossing to give priority over cars, promoting farming co-ops and markets. Simple things like this.

And they are all great little things to implement but they are little. I think it's fair when discussing the merits of a party to ignore the small things and focus on what their manifesto is built on. The Greens are looking for a mandate to implement a massive overhaul of our society to move towards a carbon neutral economy. I think it's perfectly fair and reasonable to ask how are they going to fund this? [As an aside, I've no issue with increasing taxes but it's an impossible sell to the majority].

Realistically, how many TDs will they get in the next GE? 4? 5? That would be a great election for them. Doubling their numbers but they are a very small party and will have limited influence.

If the SD's and Labour do the sensible thing: merge and elect Roisin Shorthall as their leader, they could eat into the Greens base very quickly. There's no doubt they are targeting their base. Added to that, Labour should have a much stronger showing this GE. There's a handful of candidates I expect to get over the line: Ged Nash, Aodhan O'Riordan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Anyone got a count breakdown for leixlip ? osme sites declaring nuala killeen as elected now and I just want to see how the hell that happened.

Try the twitter feed of the local council.

Fingal's twitter feed was great yesterday giving details of all the counts.

And they are all great little things to implement but they are little. I think it's fair when discussing the merits of a party to ignore the small things and focus on what their manifesto is built on. The Greens are looking for a mandate to implement a massive overhaul of our society to move towards a carbon neutral economy. I think it's perfectly fair and reasonable to ask how are they going to fund this? [As an aside, I've no issue with increasing taxes but it's an impossible sell to the majority].

Realistically, how many TDs will they get in the next GE? 4? 5? That would be a great election for them. Doubling their numbers but they are a very small party and will have limited influence.

If the SD's and Labour do the sensible thing: merge and elect Roisin Shorthall as their leader, they could eat into the Greens base very quickly. There's no doubt they are targeting their base. Added to that, Labour should have a much stronger showing this GE. There's a handful of candidates I expect to get over the line: Ged Nash, Aodhan O'Riordan etc.

But the elections are at local level, they have no power in bringing in carbon taxes country wide. So for the current discussion, talking about bringing in carbon taxes is premature. And regardless of the next governmental make up, they'll be coming in in some form regardless.

But the elections are at local level, they have no power in bringing in carbon taxes country wide. So for the current discussion, talking about bringing in carbon taxes is premature. And regardless of the next governmental make up, they'll be coming in in some form regardless.

It is premature all right but they can bring in other taxes locally. They can adjust the property tax as they see fit.

I wouldn't agree that they will be coming in some form regardless. The farmers have a big say and will vehemently oppose a carbon tax. FF are savy enough to not introduce them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Will the results here have any impact on the media in terms of their reporting? The amount of TV exposure and newspaper lines that the hard left i.e. PBP, anti austerity etc etc. get, considering their tiny support is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/results/?app=true#/local/kildare-county/leixlip

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Sparko wrote: »
    My understanding is that she has to choose one seat and then the council as a whole decides amongst themselves who is co-opted into the other seat. I'm not sure if that person necessarily has to be the next ranked person in the vote, I presume it'll all come down to horse trading between the councillors and dependent on who has overall power once the votes have been fully counted.

Although from reading comments on Facebook from the candidate in question she seems to think she can take both seats and seems intent on that, regardless of what the rules state. One to watch.

It is interesting. I found the facebook post where she has said that she intends taking both seats and presumably having two votes on the council. If that is allowed then there is no reason why an individual or party candidate could not stand in all of the areas for a council and take a seat in each i.e. one councillor with 6+ votes.

If she does take one of the seats and not the other then the votes of the people who voted for her in the second ward are lost and not passed down to their next preference candidate. If she gets to nominate a person who did not stand in the election then we are effectively introducing a party list system by the back door - no reason why large parties couldn't do the same thing. If the council as a whole decides who takes the seat then it benefits FF or FG.

I just think that it is an abuse of the principle of the STV system that we have. I'll be interested to see how this all pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Amusing to see that Patrick Pearse Holohan (Sinn Féin) was elected after the 6th count in Tallaght South.

With a name like that he was a shoo-in!

It's not looking so good for the luckless Oliver Cromwell in Tipperary South West!*

* only joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Will the results here have any impact on the media in terms of their reporting? The amount of TV exposure and newspaper lines that the hard left i.e. PBP, anti austerity etc etc. get, considering their tiny support is crazy.

It just means that they'll probablyindulge in more mindless publicity stunts to keep themselves in the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

With Catherine Murphy living in Lexlip I thought Kileen would get a decent enough vote, some of Murphy's popularity rubbing off. But I'm slightly stunned that she got elected. I'd say Anthony Larkin is sick to his gills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Luckily many of the pink haired #repealthe8th hardcore twitter feminists lost their seats. Several of them in Sinn Fein and PBP did. Many of the SocDems failed also but a few of them snuck in. Their echo chamber on twitter doesn't equate to votes in real life. Spewing hatred against men isn't really a winning electoral strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not sure if it's already been mentioned here but did the Greens leave it behind them in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown ?

Topped the poll in 4 of the 6 districts and 2nd in the other 2.
    They only ran a single candidate in each district presumably expecting a lower 1st pref %age.

Fianna Fail with a lower overall first pref secured 1 more seat on the overall council.
    Not inconceivable that the Greens could have brought 2 councillors home in each district.
    I know it's easier with hindsight, but isn't this the job of the party vote management people?

josip wrote: »
    Not sure if it's already been mentioned here but did the Greens leave it behind them in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown ?

Topped the poll in 4 of the 6 districts and 2nd in the other 2.
    They only ran a single candidate in each district presumably expecting a lower 1st pref %age.

Fianna Fail with a lower overall first pref secured 1 more seat on the overall council.
    Not inconceivable that the Greens could have brought 2 councillors home in each district.
    I know it's easier with hindsight, but isn't this the job of the party vote management people?

Nobody expected this from the Greens. There were no indications this was about to happen. Very easy to plan an election in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ShyMets wrote: »
    With Catherine Murphy living in Lexlip I thought Kileen would get a decent enough vote, some of Murphy's popularity rubbing off. But I'm slightly stunned that she got elected. I'd say Anthony Larkin is sick to his gills.
    Killeen not Kileen - you've been looking at her posters too long. :D
    Apparently she is CM's constituency manager.
    Does she even live in Leixlip? I think she may live in Clane!

Advertisement