Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭jos28

Well now there's a surprise - Charlie's grandson pipped to the post by Catherine Stocker SD. All 6 seats filled

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/results/#/local/dublin-city/clontarf

Has the Green Party vote management been poor in this election? There are some ridiculous over the quota figures coming in that good vote management could surely have brought in more candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Has the Green Party vote management been poor in this election? There are some ridiculous over the quota figures coming in that good vote management could surely have brought in more candidates.
    Nobody anticipated the Green surge and they didn't have enough candidates to exploit it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mary Lou saying she is frustrated with the assembly being not working hurting the SF vote. Its not just unionists that need to work btw. It takes both of the main parties up there to tango so to speak.

There is no way the assembly in NI has any bearing on SF votes in council elections in the south.

She's grasping at straws.

Unfúckingbelievable if he will be. Only 2 of the 5 seats in his LEA (Local Electoral Area) of Ballybay-Clones are filled so far. According to the RTÉ website Ballybay-Clones actually lost a seat, from 6 to 5. So if he still manages to be re-elected it will make Ballybay-Clones the Monaghan version of those troglodyte nether regions of Tipperary that elect Lowry.

Years before that infamous sting in 2015, the very same Hugh McElvanney was a serious contender for most dodgy local politician in Ireland. The people who elect him in Ballybay-Clones know precisely what they are voting for. Precisely.

Hugh McElvanney on Shannonside Radio after the 2015 sting saying 'I was cuter than them (RTÉ & Fine Gael) and I lured them into their trap'

Well done to the voters of Ballybay-Clones in Monaghan who re-elected the former Fine Gael councillor Hugh McElvanney, even with 1 less seat to be filled in their area. They must all be very proud of themselves. Final Monaghan local election result just in here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Zaph wrote: »
    Howth/Malahide LEA has 9 candidates for 7 seats. You'd want to be really unpopular or fcuk up royally not to get elected there.

That's my ward, and it was ridiculous. Only an independent and an SF candidate didn't get elected. It was basically over after the first count.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nobody anticipated the Green surge and they didn't have enough candidates to exploit it.

I have a funny feeling a lot of this green vite is little to do with the environment and more people not wanting to vote for FF/FG but afraid of the gains the shinners made last time, makes SD and the greens the protest vote as theyve little chance of doing many relevant things anyway. Likely won’t be repeated in a GE scenario

I have a funny feeling a lot of this green vite is little to do with the environment and more people not wanting to vote for FF/FG but afraid of the gains the shinners made last time, makes SD and the greens the protest vote as theyve little chance of doing many relevant things anyway. Likely won’t be repeated in a GE scenario
    I think they'll get a few seats more and could even get back to their high of 6. Historically, some of their environmental demands aside, they are a lot easier to deal with than Indos in the context of government. The SDs are not a party, just a vehicle for the co-leaders!

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think it's a protest vote, I think they are just seen as a centrist alternative to FF/FG, avoiding jumping too far to the left.

I think SF are struggling for relevance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

But sure look at renua, that was a free vote but all the key players were against abortion and tge party got labelled that way, SF trying for a lefty image could never risk 4-5 bigger names coming out against abortion and them being labelled as a party that way
    IMO they should have a free vote and let Peadar to say his peace. When you look at the top dogs Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, they gave a free vote and had not many defections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mary Lou on RTÉ radio now. Not that cheerful which is understandable. She sounds shocked.
    One of the problems for SF is that they have been in positions of power, particularly in Dublin, and as a consequence have had to make decisions. This inevitably leads to unpopularity because you can't just complain about how it will be all sunshine and unicorns "if only the government had listened to our views".

Many of these policies have turned out to be extremely unpopular, in particular proposing large amounts of social housing much greater than the standard 10%. I can see in my own area that the local politicians who have opposed SF are doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

awec wrote: »
    I don't think it's a protest vote, I think they are just seen as a centrist alternative to FF/FG, avoiding jumping too far to the left.

I think SF are struggling for relevance.

That's the reason I voted for the greens. I'm sick of FF and fg feathering their own nests,
    Pbp, sf, and labour want to bankrupt the state with there crazy welfare policies, renua are a medeival party.
    The only other options are the greens and the social democrats. The greens being the more established option.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

However, despite Sinn Féin being the largest party on Dublin City Council they refused to change the title from the royalist 'Lord Mayor' addition back to its original, medieval 'Mayor' title. A simple, symbolic thing that many of us who voted for it in hope in the 1990s were watching. Just how many Irish republicans died so that Sinn Féin could celebrate having a "Lord Mayor" of Dublin? In actual power in Dublin, they just took the soup when it came to republicanism. Not a single British royalist streetname in Dublin renamed either after heroes of the Irish tradition. No different to the Blueshirts or Fianna Fáil (both of which kept a wigged judiciary going in this state until the past 10 years). Let's not kid ourselves here.
    So whilst SF on DCC did pretty much nothing to improve housing, despite all their soundbites on the subject, but your problem with them is down to some imperialist names?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So whilst SF on DCC did pretty much nothing to improve housing, despite all their soundbites on the subject, but your problem with them is down to some imperialist names?
    This is the vote SF are chasing, and it's a waste of time targeting these people - they'll vote differently each election depending on whatever random topic they are currently focussing on. It'd break your heart & head trying to keep them happy.

SF have an image problem. They are all trendy liberal and middle class when out of power, but their councillors spend their times worrying about things like Palestine and social housing, and are openly contemptuous (for the most part) of middle class concerns. They have no coherent political purpose other than Irish unity which every party is in favour of.

hmmm wrote: »
    This is the vote SF are chasing, and it's a waste of time targeting these people - they'll vote differently each election depending on whatever random topic they are currently focussing on. It'd break your heart & head trying to keep them happy.

SF have an image problem. They are all trendy liberal and middle class when out of power, but their councillors spend their times worrying about things like Palestine and social housing, and are openly contemptuous (for the most part) of middle class concerns. They have no coherent political purpose other than Irish unity which every party is in favour of.
    They, with others, also keep reducing the LPT and voting down things that would give a council money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bren2001

hmmm wrote: »

The way I see SF is that they made huge gains in the last election based on the water meter protests. The key issue for them is that it was a single issue which is now over. They lack any meaningful policies to campaign on and leadership to establish them. They are now suffering for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I bet we will see the Irish unity line pushed now at every opportunity by SF. Their pandering to left-wing social views has failed for them as it's a clogged market. In the struggle for a purpose, I think it's the unity thing is the only area they have a leg up on other parties, even if others favour it too.

Yeah, because I never talked about their record on housing in the previous post (or linked to another post I wrote dedicated to their record on housing). Oh, wait. Or mentioned it again in that post. Curiously, you chose to miss that. :rolleyes:

But, yeah, absofúckinglutely if SF are going to market themselves on their republicanism, then when they finally become the largest party in DCC but refuse to get rid of the royalist addition 'Lord' to the original 'Mayor' title, it is a matter of their selling out their so-called republican principles for power. Symbols matter, and anybody who says they don't is being disingenuous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Confirmed Sinn Fein lost at least 3 of their seats in Cavan. They have a shot at 1-2 others still. Full result soon.

• Advertisement

Cork city north east is very close. There are eight candidates on 1,100 votes or more and only six seats and no candidate has reached the quota yet but ken o Flynn of FF is nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

knipex wrote: »
    Wood fired stoves. The proliferation of wood fired stoves in middle class areas in towns and villages all over Ireland, both for room heating and water heating.
    What was the role of the Government in this issue?
    They can however be blamed for altering the motor tax system to only account for one component of emissions and ignoring advice on diesel from many cancer and environmental experts
    Wasn't the advice very different at that time to now? Diesel was seen as the better option, and not just because of the fraudulent emissions figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

WTF is going on with the count for Cork City council? at 3.30 this afternoon (day 2) only 4 seats out of 31 accounted for, meanwhile in the county of 40 done and dusted, as a soon to be townie I think I'd prefer to stay in the county if this is the shape of things to come thank you very much.
    Someone needs to get the f****n' finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

What was the role of the Government in this issue?

Wasn't the advice very different at that time to now? Diesel was seen as the better option, and not just because of the fraudulent emissions figures.

The greens pushed and continue to push bio fuel but the Green Party at the time did a big push on renewable home heating pushing heat pumps (a huge amount of which were since removed and installed by people who hadn't a clue into unsuitable homes), bio fuel including wood pellets and wood burning stoves. More than one green minister pushed heavily on wood burners.

Diesel advise never changed, The focus was on carbon emissions and only carbon emissions, diesel engines did and still do produce lower carbon emissions. Many people advised of the negative effects but were scoffed at.

Now its the other way, diesel is evil. Its no more evil that it was the the silver bullet.

For short journey or Urban driving diesel never was and never will be the correct solution.

For high motorway milers or even high open road milers, diesel is a far better and solution for carbon and the engines get to the temperatures and conditions where they operate optimally for particulates.

Funnily enough that was equally true in 2008.

But again that's not the narrative that suits the green. Its either good or evil..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

knipex wrote: »
    The greens pushed and continue to push bio fuel but the Green Party at the time did a big push on renewable home heating pushing heat pumps (a huge amount of which were since removed and installed by people who hadn't a clue into unsuitable homes), bio fuel including wood pellets and wood burning stoves. More than one green minister pushed heavily on wood burners.
    What do you mean by 'pushed'? Do you mean they spoke about them?

There was no government scheme or grant or building requirement or anything, right?

Seamai wrote: »
    WTF is going on with the count for Cork City council? at 3.30 this afternoon (day 2) only 4 seats out of 31 accounted for, meanwhile in the county of 40 done and dusted, as a soon to be townie I think I'd prefer to stay in the county if this is the shape of things to come thank you very much.
    Someone needs to get the f****n' finger out.

Just from looking at the count results as they are going along it seems the vote is very spread out and so whereas with the old wards there would be a few that would pull away and get elected and maybe the last seat filled by the last person standing after the others are eliminated. This doesn't seem to be the case and it's leading to what looks like painful counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

16jhgep.jpg

ncoabn.jpg

A great bunch of lads but which is scarier? Kerry or Offaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Jeremy Kyle definitely needed back on the air to confirm Danny Healy Rae produced such a good looking daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"Politics is show business for ugly people" :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

16jhgep.jpg

ncoabn.jpg

The last laugh seems to be with the Healy Rae's, they have that constituency sown up for life.

Advertisement