Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 QF: Munster vs Benetton, Sat 4th May 3pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Squatter wrote: »
    It certainly could - the Sarries second string have just mulched Exeter - I hope Leinster weren't watching.

What difference does that make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This is going to be an absolute hiding. Benetton will do well to finish within 20 points.

Nailed it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clegg wrote: »
    Torn on the semi in two weeks time. On the one hand Leinster will be tired after the Champions Cup final. But in the other Munster look so poorly coached that their extra rest may not matter so much.

Leinster were a better team last season and barely beat Munster in the semi. I'll say the Southerners are marginal favourites.

:pac:

Unless Munster improve ten fold on today they'll be beat out the gate in the RDS.

awec wrote: »

Unless Munster improve ten fold on today they'll be beat out the gate in the RDS.

By the second team

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Course we will. No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Suspectman123

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I wonder will Barry Murphy be posting video clips of Nigel riding Benetton

Was thinking the exact same
    Nigel Owens was a disgrace
    Clearly ignored a maul penalty by touchy with 15 to go, Stander hands on the ground for penalty, John Ryan cannot pick up the ball as ruck is formed, he can stay in the space but not pick it up
    Giving dressing downs to Treviso players getting pumped up!!!!...the guy needs to be retired, he’s a joke

Roll on semi anyway, no doubt different Munster will show up to the RDS I’ve no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Gutted for Bennetton. Particularly because it would have meant the world to them, but Munster didn't give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What difference does that make?

We'll see next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So annoyed at Nigel Owens with his anti-Munster agenda, moving that kick back. JJ showed him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

errlloyd wrote: »
    Gutted for Bennetton. Particularly because it would have meant the world to them, but Munster didn't give a ****.

really would have been good for tournamnet and rugby in general - but yet again offials favour the bigger more powerful nations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Wouldn't be a Munster match thread without people giving out about the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We had a deeper squad last season. Jordi and Joey are gone this year and they're the guys who started and came on as subs in both finals.

Ball is in Munster's court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I'm shocked how many people on here think the John Ryan call was a penalty.

Counter ruck, blow your man backwards, get your foot over the ball and you 100% are allowed to pick it up. It's the textbook way to win a counter ruck!

Edit to add: Nigel was shouting at pom to go back and not contribute to the counter ruck as he regained his feet to the side of John Ryan as he was offside. And he did as told. Nigel wasn't talking to Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

So many facets of the game there where Munster were horrible. So many missed tackles too straight forward enough one up tackles too. That little dance Haley does before contact is head wrecking.

Once more Murray was way off the level required. No idea why he’s being persisted with in his current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a Munster match thread without people giving out about the ref

Wouldn't be a munster thread without people saying how gutted they are that Benetton lost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    I'm shocked how many people on here think the John Ryan call was a penalty.

Counter ruck, blow your man backwards, get your foot over the ball and you 100% are allowed to pick it up. It's the textbook way to win a counter ruck!

Venjur reckoned he was off his feet, maybe he was - need to see it again. I thought it was fine myself

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Larbre34 wrote:
    How so?

Not a hope they don't turn up the physicality and commitment hugely for the match. I cannot see there being anything other than single digits between them at the end.

Regardless of today, Munster do not concede many points. They can be crap all day in attack every week and never be stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Eir (annoyingly) don't have a phase counter but we went through a serious amount of phases in our half twice before drop goals without giving away a penalty, impressive stuff.

Murray isn't in as poor form as people are making out at all.

I'd be starting JJ if Carberry is out. Hopefully Earls is back - he's have pinned his ears back and gone for the corner for the chance that Sweetnam cut infield for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

leakyboots wrote: »
    Venjur reckoned he was off his feet, maybe he was - need to see it again. I thought it was fine myself

Stander was definitely off his feet for the winning penalty. Only reason he didn't completely fall over was he put his hands on the ground to support his weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

leakyboots wrote: »

I think it depends on whether a player from the ruck was still attached to Ryan. If they weren't he should be fine picking up the ball.

Treviso didn't deserve to win - 2 drop goal attempts and neither were close.

Also, the TMO called a penalty to Treviso in the maul before Ryan's turnover, but Owens just completely ignored it.

I have no idea why Munster have kept Bleyendaal, it is such a waste of money. He is nowhere near good enough and spends most of the time with an injury. When he is fit he is not up to standards, they would be better investing in one of the younger players

When he is fit he is not up to standards, they would be better investing in one of the younger players

Is that what they call taking Leinster players these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

troyzer wrote: »

That's an absolute shocker. I didn't see the match, this is what won Munster the game? Treviso should be livid. They have a channel to give feedback on the ref, right?

That's an absolute shocker. I didn't see the match, this is what won Munster the game? Treviso should be livid. They have a channel to give feedback on the ref, right?

Yeah, led to the winning penalty.

This is just after Nigel ignored a Treviso advantage and invented a new rule to allow Munster to put their hands in the ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Treviso were unbelievably good today. Munster, despite the comments on here, didnt make that many errors. We were blunt in attack and played too narrow, but we still dominated territory and posession. Benetton just punished us and looked so dangerous every time they got the ball.

Cloete played like a man posessed, Kleyn and POM were everywhere, CJ might have carried too much at times but he certainly can't be accused of not trying hard enough. Both out halves kicked from the tee when needed. Munster would have lost this game last year

Munster got lucky today, and huge respect to the visitors. If the Ulster v Connacht game is this tight and competitive then we as supporters will be doing well from the day

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I have no idea why Munster have kept Bleyendaal, it is such a waste of money. He is nowhere near good enough and spends most of the time with an injury. When he is fit he is not up to standards, they would be better investing in one of the younger players

He was good in the 16-17 season when he had a full run of fitness. Since then he's had his long term neck injury to deal with.

Needs to get his confidence back to take the ball to the line. That's something that Sexton lost for a while this season. In the Six Nations he took it to the line before releasing the ball. He got injured against Scotland for it. It wasn't until the Toulouse game that he regained the confidence to bring it to the line. And he looked his world player of the year best again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Also, the TMO called a penalty to Treviso in the maul before Ryan's turnover, but Owens just completely ignored it.

He ignored his touch judge earlier in the game when it could have affected Benettons try...

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    He ignored his touch judge earlier in the game when it could have affected Benettons try...

No he didn't. He asked the touch judge if he had seen anything and he said no.

Nigel made a complete balls of it today. It's okay to admit that Munster shouldn't have won.

Advertisement