Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Irish Gigs (Rumoured & Confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

greenspurs wrote: »
    No prices up for Idlewild !

€23 according to button factory website

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Our fabulous summer of gigs is very much under threat

Have the who next weds but not sure what the story is there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'm hoping it sneaks through, although I'm also due to see them in Birmingham in 3 weeks. The UK does not seem to be too close to lockdown for big events....

....yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭fafy

Pearl Jam have cancelled North Anerican gigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Yeah I can see Green day cancelling anyway seeing as they were quick to do it for their Asian tour and it really does look like its spreading here anyway. Even the Euro championships are under threat and even the champions league looks like will be halted mad stuff altogether. I can imagine trying to reschedule or even refund these shows will be a nightmare. Hopefully things calm down in the coming weeks cause Id still like for some of these shows to go ahead especially MCR but we cant be selfish either this is serious enough. They did the right thi g cancelling all the parades. The economy will take a hit from all these cancelled shows unfortunatley

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DarMul17

I can only hope things can stabilize by May. I'm hoping gigs in June wouldn't be cancelled. I can see Bon Iver and Nick Cave cancelled if this doesn't come under control. Perhaps the country needs to go into lockdown to try and slow down the inevitable spread. As it is one thing to lose money in March and April. But to lose the summer tourism revenue generated will have huge knock to the economy of this country, and the consequences on people in these sectors related to tourism will be seen.

Jesus Gerry Cinnamon has a tribute act already ha 'Garry Cinnamon' playing a few gigs around the place and supporting the oasis tribute in vicar street soon

This situation is so annoying as acts here in the very near future are staying quiet and wont come out say the inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spindex

Jesus Gerry Cinnamon has a tribute act already ha 'Garry Cinnamon' playing a few gigs around the place and supporting the oasis tribute in vicar street soon

This situation is so annoying as acts here in the very near future are staying quiet and wont come out say the inevitable

What situation?

spindex wrote: »
    What situation?

The coronavirus and event cancellations here

It's hard to make plans

• Advertisement

spindex wrote: »
    What situation?

The coronavirus and event cancellations here

It's hard to make plans

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DylanB85

Duffy98 wrote: »
    Yeah I can see Green day cancelling anyway seeing as they were quick to do it for their Asian tour and it really does look like its spreading here anyway. Even the Euro championships are under threat and even the champions league looks like will be halted mad stuff altogether. I can imagine trying to reschedule or even refund these shows will be a nightmare. Hopefully things calm down in the coming weeks cause Id still like for some of these shows to go ahead especially MCR but we cant be selfish either this is serious enough. They did the right thi g cancelling all the parades. The economy will take a hit from all these cancelled shows unfortunatley

It's still 3 months away which is plenty of time all things considered. We'll know more by mid-may anyway, I think all will be good though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

DarMul17 wrote: »
    I can only hope things can stabilize by May. I'm hoping gigs in June wouldn't be cancelled. I can see Bon Iver and Nick Cave cancelled if this doesn't come under control. Perhaps the country needs to go into lockdown to try and slow down the inevitable spread. As it is one thing to lose money in March and April. But to lose the summer tourism revenue generated will have huge knock to the economy of this country, and the consequences on people in these sectors related to tourism will be seen.

It'll be a downer all round.
    I've tickets for about 10 gigs between now and July.

To mitigate the disappointment a bit, I've planned, if it goes tits up, is to have a night in mine with my gig buddies on what would have been the concert days - watch live stuff from the artist on youtube and make the best of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think gigs will be cancelled, its just a matter of when and then for how long.

Harris confirmed that its constantly on the agenda with public health officials, particularly larger gatherings like 3Arena gigs, so at some stage they'll pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DarMul17

Ben Done wrote: »
    It'll be a downer all round.
    I've tickets for about 10 gigs between now and July.

To mitigate the disappointment a bit, I've planned, if it goes tits up, is to have a night in mine with my gig buddies on what would have been the concert days - watch live stuff from the artist on youtube and make the best of it :)

I've got ten myself. Especially disappointed is my holiday planned is I see Thom Yorke on Wednesday, fly to Berlin for Pearl Jam, then i go two weeks later back to Berlin to see Bjork, then pearl jam the next day in London and Beck the next night.

Plus The national in my hometown of Limerick, their show in Cork, and Rammstein the next week. Can't look forward to any of them now, getting rid of the excitement is going to be tough as now it feels like it will be a boring summer with nothing to look forward to. I can only hope that things can get better fast, as they are three months away, but I have major doubts. What a way to start a new decade.

Have 5 events from next week up until the end of june not including GAA and the Dublin Euros games but very nervous about what my summer will be now if there all cancelled cause of this epidemic

Bands I've been waiting years to see and its looking very likely it will be taken away from me. Just like Garth Brooks in 2014. We can live it hope things might and hopefully get a lot better and normality resumes

Coachella postponed until October. Simon Harris on RTE earlier mentioned that concerts and other mass gatherings are under review at the moment. Big indoor gigs and festivals could be postponed or cancelled. If not, slow ticket sales could force cancellation of festivals too. Very uncertain times ahead

Eod100 wrote: »
    Coachella postponed until October. Simon Harris on RTE earlier mentioned that concerts and other mass gatherings are under review at the moment. Big indoor gigs and festivals could be postponed or cancelled. If not, slow ticket sales could force cancellation of festivals too. Very uncertain times ahead

You have to imagine, as has happened with some artists already that they'll pull the plug too.

A US artist for example doing a twenty date tour of Europe where ten gigs are already cancelled is likely to look at what's left and postpone given costs and returns on top of any health issues.

People are still going to be filling pubs/nightclubs etc

Sick and tired of the doom and gloom around atm but tbf there have been quite a few events in the 3arena the past few weeks who all went off smoothly.

• Advertisement

You have to imagine, as has happened with some artists already that they'll pull the plug too.

A US artist for example doing a twenty date tour of Europe where ten gigs are already cancelled is likely to look at what's left and postpone given costs and returns on top of any health issues.

Yeah exactly
    People are still going to be filling pubs/nightclubs etc

Sick and tired of the doom and gloom around atm but tbf there have been quite a few events in the 3arena the past few weeks who all went off smoothly.

Not necessarily. Think pubs and clubs will see less people going. Hopefully the worst of it passes over next few months. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and all that!

Yeah exactly

Not necessarily. Think pubs and clubs will see less people going. Hopefully the worst of it passes over next few months. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and all that!

True but this is Ireland were talking about, people went to the pubs during that snow storm 2 years back

True but this is Ireland were talking about, people went to the pubs during that snow storm 2 years back

Ah yeah, don't think pub will be empty but think there will definitely be a reduction in the number of people going to them at least for the next few weeks.

Guess if there is any move to ban mass gatherings, might be limited to ones over 5k or 10k say for next few weeks. But then again may not be for a while or never.

That's an entirely different scenario. Walking to a pub in the snow is a billion miles away from exposing yourself to potential deadly infection.

Trust me it's a matter of time before gigs fall. It's a very clear line even just from cancelling rugby games in outdoor stadiums (when we have a handful of cases) to gigs in indoor venues (when we have dozens if not more cases).

That said, the amount of refunds from gigs will be unprecedented. And I hope it doesn't increase ticket prices in the future due to insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No comparison. The snow was a weather event, you couldn't spread or catch something as a result of it.

Pubs, clubs, crowded spaces are the ideal breeding ground for the virus.

I was happy enough going to the pub myself last week. But I'm not sure anymore and I know plenty of others who feel the same. The tone and message from the experts and the government has changed a lot even in the last two days. If you aren't at least a bit worried there's something wrong with you.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if large public gatherings are banned by this time next week and then pubs and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭fafy

Arghus wrote: »
    No comparison. The snow was a weather event, you couldn't spread or catch something as a result of it.

Pubs, clubs, crowded spaces are the ideal breeding ground for the virus.

I was happy enough going to the pub myself last week. But I'm not sure anymore and I know plenty of others who feel the same. The tone and message from the experts and the government has changed a lot even in the last two days. If you aren't at least a bit worried there's something wrong with you.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if large public gatherings are banned by this time next week and then pubs and clubs.

Yes, this is a totally different ballgame to some severe weather event. Its on a scale we have never seen before.
    All events, are very likely to be cancelled. The only event of a dozen or so i have tickets for, over the next 6 months, that “might” go ahead is probably Electric Picnic, and thats only a bare maybe, at this stage.

Even the small venues will eventually close down, and pubs at very high risk also. Thats the harsh reality that will happen over the next month-stock up on beer & wine at home, is what everyone will be doing.

I’l still go to pubs- until they close them down that is, which will definitely happen. I’l carry on as normal, but that will change in a few weeks.

Not particularly worried about this thing personally, as for most people its not a threat, but would be very concerned about older people and those at risk, but reality is, its going to change our behaviour, and change it drastically.

Thats just the way it is, it can’t be sugar coated, this isn’t panic - its just reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

ts_editor wrote: »
    Idlewild
    25th Anniversary

Tu 10 Nov - Button Factory
    W 11 Nov - Empire Music Hall

Mailing list presale - W 11 Mar
    General sale - F 13 March

Button Factory presale this morning...

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/idlewild-25th-anniversary-show-dublin-10-11-2020/event/18005869A4F42EFA?did=idlefan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭Penfailed

fafy wrote: »
    I’l still go to pubs- until they close them down that is, which will definitely happen.

You simply can't say that with any certainty. Nothing is definite.

My upcoming big gatherings include Vantastival and Sunstroke in June. I'm hoping this will all have blown over by then...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Non-Irish news: Guns n Roses cancelled their Costa Rica show due to the virus so their not shy of cancelling shows. Yeah like the level of cancellations will be unprecedented even events like Glastonbury will have to be seriously re-considered if this gets any worse. I wouldnt have any sense of confidence booking for a show now knowing it might not happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

don't really see why they're primarily thinking about big ones.
    small gigs and gatherings are the most at risk.

Festivals are outdoors and less congested, so are the least risky.

they should be shutting down pubs, trains, buses, schools, chruches etc. before they shut down outside events like festivals or sporting events.

according to the UK Deputy Chief Medical Officer:
    Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science.

"The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are relatively safe."

still, the way this and several countries are going these days, populism trumps facts and science....

Advertisement