Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Irish Gigs (Rumoured & Confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

MOR316 wrote: »
    Never understood the fascination with this. It must be a bit weird from the audience's perspective. Watching some audience clips from the Roy Orbison one and it's peculiar

I remember seeing a Freddie Mercury hologram on a TV show and there was a Michael Jackson hologram at some awards ceremony. All very strange.

How is the performer mean't to make a connection with the audience? It may as well be a tribute act/band on stage

I won tickets to Roy Orbison and whilst I loved the music and the orchestra were brilliant, the hologram varied from bizarre to amazing and back to disconcerting again. On the whole, I found the whole thing enjoyable but very odd and I wouldn't pay for any show like it.

Every four songs, the hologram literally descended into the stage as if some sort of metaphor for him heading back to the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

dragonfly! wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D
    Any idea of prices for this?
    Zardoz wrote: »
    Wont be announced till next week but I'd expect them to be expensive.
    Think they were £45-£170 for the UK last year,so probably 99-170 euro here.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I'd think twice before paying that tbh

Well, her Canadian shows are near $500 Canadian Dollars...
    The more expensive seats in the US are $250...

So if we compare to Canada, it would be 300 quid here.
    If we compare to the US, the expensive seats will be 220 here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

MOR316 wrote: »
    Well, her Canadian shows are near $500 Canadian Dollars...
    The more expensive seats in the US are $250...

So if we compare to Canada, it would be 300 quid here.
    If we compare to the US, the expensive seats will be 220 here

Standard gig tickets can be pretty expensive in the US and Canada, though.

I went to see James Vincent McMorrow in Canada with some friends. Tickets were in the region of $60-80 dollars (it's a few years ago now so I don't remember exactly), whereas he was charging approx €30-35 for Irish gigs at the time (I also went to see him in Cork on the same tour. Both gigs were crap, fwiw). Both venues were similar size, shape, etc so it is pretty like-for-like.

I'd expect these to be €80-90 for the nosebleeds and bad view seats, and then up to €150-180 for the good seats. Expensive, but not totally off the charts in comparison to other gigs at the moment.

The fact that it's indoors and not a stadium, and that she plays so infrequently will help to bump it up I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

dragonfly! wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D
    Any idea of prices for this?

180 I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Lewis Capaldi sold 65,000 tickets in 10 minutes here , the current state of music its a sad site indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Duffy98 wrote: »
    Lewis Capaldi sold 65,000 tickets in 10 minutes here , the current state of music its a sad site indeed...

Its baffling really how popular that chap is.

Most of the tickets were probably sold in the presale .

Its baffling really how popular that chap is.

Most of the tickets were probably sold in the presale .
    Hes an anomaly hes playing 2 sold out shows in November , 2 sold out shows in the 3 arena and now 3 shows in June. Made €3.25m in ticket sales this morning we are a gold mine to him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nah not really. Theres a great live music scene about at the moment and has been for years. As always, its just outside of the mainstream. The best usually well outside. Countless great gigs over the last few years here in Vicar St, Olympia, Grand Social, Whelans, Button Factory, Workmans Club etc.

Theres always been a Lewis Capaldi. Its McDonalds music but theres always a market for that type of thing.

Snoop Dogg coming to Ireland you can sign up for pre-sale on his facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Billie Eilish announced a world tour ,playing Arenas .
    No Irish date as yet .

Manchester Arena 2 nights ,Arena Birmingham 1 night and the O2 London 2 nights next July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Billie Eilish announced a world tour ,playing Arenas .
    No Irish date as yet .

Manchester Arena 2 nights ,Arena Birmingham 1 night and the O2 London 2 nights next July

Playing some festivals around Europe. Wouldn't be surprised if was second act in Musgrave Park in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

headline Longitude maybe?
    first european dates announced so far start the following weekend.

Mushy wrote: »
    Playing some festivals around Europe. Wouldn't be surprised if was second act in Musgrave Park in Cork.
    I was saying she might be a good act to put in there cause she would sell it out instantly. Would like to actually see a rock act in there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That's just what most single middle aged women are into these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

PsychoPete wrote: »

That's just what most single middle aged women are into these days
    A pished up, funnier Sheerin. Crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lewis Crapaldi

The music snobbery in here is pathetic. He's not my cup of tea at all but he doesn't sell that many tickets by being awful.

So maybe don't look down on people who bought tickets, it's a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A pished up, funnier Sheerin. Crap.

Ah Lewis is great, funny and talented

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I see Billie Eilish has announced a big tour and will be in Europe in July with no Irish Date which prob means she will headline Longitude

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The music snobbery in here is pathetic. He's not my cup of tea at all but he doesn't sell that many tickets by being awful.

So maybe don't look down on people who bought tickets, it's a bit sad.

Its a usual cycle now from the same old posters.
    1. Gig is announced
    2. Are they really big enough for there?
    3. They'll never sell out that.
    4. Sold Out
    5. It's not really sold out, they're all with touts
    6. Music was better back in my day
    7. Wish it was ACDC/Iron Maiden/Alterbridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I see Billie Eilish has announced a big tour and will be in Europe in July with no Irish Date which prob means she will headline Longitude

Could she do maybe IP Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The timing of Billie's shows don't sync up with the Musgrave Park shows in Cork, I don't think. Lewis Capaldi is playing around June 20 and it was that time of the summer last year too.

Billie's UK shows are July so id say its too late for Cork.

Organisers of Musgrave gigs last year were keen to keep residents on side so I'd say it's easier to do one set up of gear, run gigs for a week and then take it down over the course of a few days instead of running gigs on and off all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

...and 50 shades of grey didnt sell shedloads by being awful either. Err...actually.

Theres plenty of precedent for genuinely poor music selling really well. Westlife, for example. You cant claim they're objectively good - even in the boy band/girl band manufactured pop arena they are dreadful, highly marketed muzak.

You can claim theres no such thing as bad music all you want, but it's a ridiculous argument.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    ...and 50 shades of grey didnt sell shedloads by being awful either. Err...actually.

Theres plenty of precedent for genuinely poor music selling really well. Westlife, for example. You cant claim they're objectively good - even in the boy band/girl band manufactured pop arena they are dreadful, highly marketed muzak.

You can claim theres no such thing as bad music all you want, but it's a ridiculous argument.

Its bad music in your opinion but not in someone else's. Yet your music superiority and apparent genius gives your opinion more weight and legitimacy?? Pfff, that's the only thing that's ridiculous here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Its bad music in your opinion but not in someone else's. Yet your music superiority and apparent genius gives your opinion more weight and legitimacy?? Pfff, that's the only thing that's ridiculous here.

Turtle talks, world yawns.

So what you're saying is there is no such thing as objective analysis of any form of art, whatsoever? Incredible, the depths people can plumb just to be contrarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Good music is good music depending on the person's tastes, which may not exactly jive with other people's ideas of good music.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Good music is good music depending on the person's tastes, which may not exactly jive with other people's ideas of good music.

Right, right. So karaoke by a drunk who doesnt know the words is the same as a classically trained orchestra performing at the peak of its powers if they have the same views on YouTube. Fine, makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Right, right. So karaoke by a drunk who doesnt know the words is the same as a classically trained orchestra performing at the peak of its powers if they have the same views on YouTube. Fine, makes perfect sense.

Well if that's what you want to take from my general observation about some of the air of superiority on the thread regarding Lewis Capaldi and his gigs next year. Then go ahead and be my guest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Seems like a good time to mention that Jason Donovan is finally returning to Irish shores next year for shows in Belfast, Dublin & Limerick in November.

Tickets on sale on Monday however don’t worry about me I got mine yesterday in the presale ☺️

Advertisement