Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No, abbreviated format was recently announced this season to enable the Rainbow Cup afterwards.

Total of 16 rounds of league matches,
    5 home and 5 away in-conference matches
    6 cross-conference matches (slight twist for the Scot and Italy derbies)

Top team of each conference meet in a final

https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/guinness-pro14-rainbow-cup-questions-answers

Johnny Sexton doesn’t even seem to know this either, he said in his post match interview they had a lot of matches left and still had to play Munster twice, but of course only playing Munster once now.

It could become more interesting though if the Rainbow Cup were to be called off, they could change the format for the Pro12 again maybe.

I reckon rainbow cup might be played as derbies (Scotland and Italy might have to pool together)

With playoffs held in early June while the HC is played out in May

Munster v Leinster seems to be happening on January 23rd anyway.

Alternative Is to play out the pro12 fully if the Rainbow Cup is scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭launish116

Kieran Campbell appointed Ireland U20s head coach in conjunction with Ulster academy duties.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/kieran-campbell-is-the-new-ireland-under-20s-head-coach-1.4455583

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lads. Hold off on the burial of Nordi. He was brilliant this past week. Best Ulster player on the pitch. I also thought Herring was very good and Jones looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Lads. Hold off on the burial of Nordi. He was brilliant this past week. Best Ulster player on the pitch. I also thought Herring was very good and Jones looks promising.

Agree with all of that.

Jordi has been very good and I've been banging the drum about Jones for a while. He is a very underrated player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Well, that was disappointing. I think the most frustrating thing was the inability to score a try. We're better than that.

I see the In The Know poster on T'Other Forum is posting February for Addison. The idea of getting him, Baloucoune and Henderson back for the big final push is a massive boost. I think Lowry has done very, very well in Will's absence - he is a serious player. And McIlroy looks to be slotting in at this level admirably. But Addison in superb when fit and Baloucoune, before his injury at least, was an international-in-waiting.

Speaking of which, what do folk think our wing pecking order is? I think we're very close to -

Stockdale
    Baloucoune
    Lyttle
    McIlroy

Ludik is on his way out, I think Gilroy has been passed, and Faddes is the only worthwhile addition to four homegrown young lads, with Sexton bubbling under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Stockdale
    Baloucoune
    Lyttle
    McIlroy

Ludik is on his way out, I think Gilroy has been passed, and Faddes is the only worthwhile addition to four homegrown young lads, with Sexton bubbling under.

I'd agree with that, although it might only be a matter of time before McIlroy starts pushing Little. Trying my best to avoid recency bias but if McIlroy can keep up his form on defence then he may be more valuable in bigger games than Little.

Faddes probably not really worth the money at this point - how many years left on his deal?

I'd agree with that, although it might only be a matter of time before McIlroy starts pushing Little. Trying my best to avoid recency bias but if McIlroy can keep up his form on defence then he may be more valuable in bigger games than Little.

Faddes probably not really worth the money at this point - how many years left on his deal?

End of this season:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/ulster-rugby/ulster-winger-faddes-staying-cool-on-a-new-contract-despite-uncertainty-caused-by-coronavirus-pandemic-39896653.html

Bruce Houston also apparently sharing his highlight reel in true "come and get me" fashion, so you'd have to imagine he's off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Houston did well to last this long at Ulster.

bayern wrote: »
    Houston did well to last this long at Ulster.

Yeah, I think he got his full three Academy years. I hope if he's trained with the U20s and given he was in the Gloucester Academy, James Humphreys will come in.

Yeah, I think he got his full three Academy years. I hope if he's trained with the U20s and given he was in the Gloucester Academy, James Humphreys will come in.

would seem the most obvious addition if rated as good enough.

maybe something like this?

George Saudnerson(Prop)
    Oscar Egan(Prop)
    Conor McMennamin(Lock)
    Conor McKee(Scrumhalf)
    James Humphreys(Outhalf)
    Jude Posthelwaite(Centre/Wing)
    Ben Moxham(Centre/Wing)

Possibly a backrow from Leinster too.

• Advertisement

George Saudnerson(Prop)
    Oscar Egan(Prop)
    Conor McMennamin(Lock)
    Conor McKee(Scrumhalf)
    James Humphreys(Outhalf)
    Ben Moxham(Centre/Wing)

How's that other second row rated? Harry Sheridan, is it? We need second rows.

How's that other second row rated? Harry Sheridan, is it? We need second rows.

He isn't the biggest but is a good player from everything ive heard, but size may be an issue.

He isn't the biggest but is a good player from everything ive heard, but size may be an issue.

Cheers boss

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stick him in the back row

George Saudnerson(Prop)
    Oscar Egan(Prop)
    Conor McMennamin(Lock)
    Conor McKee(Scrumhalf)
    James Humphreys(Outhalf)
    Ben Moxham(Centre/Wing)

I'd agree with that. Not too sure it's the highest quality intake we've had, but I thought Postelwaithe was worth an academy contract last year and the props were okay from what I've seen. Don't know anything about McKee or Humphreys.

Who would be the leinster players that might be available for another province? If Hickey makes a change to 7 then maybe Coleman, Boyle, or Booth would look elsewhere.

I'd agree with that. Not too sure it's the highest quality intake we've had, but I thought Postelwaithe was worth an academy contract last year and the props were okay from what I've seen. Don't know anything about McKee or Humphreys.

Who would be the leinster players that might be available for another province? If Hickey makes a change to 7 then maybe Coleman, Boyle, or Booth would look elsewhere.

Hickey is far from a sure thing to make leinster academy, so could easily be him, especially if they don't view him as a potential 7.

Not sure who Booth is, unlikely Boyle or Coleman will make it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

George Saudnerson(Prop)
    Oscar Egan(Prop)
    Conor McMennamin(Lock)
    Conor McKee(Scrumhalf)
    James Humphreys(Outhalf)
    Ben Moxham(Centre/Wing)

No surprise about Houston. Be interesting to see what happens with McKee, would imagine Doak or Finlay would have to move to a development deal, would be unlikely to have three scrum halves in the academy at once.

A few good and highly thought of school leavers this year who may push for academy deals straight away. Sheridan may me be monitored at Trinity for another year but he is more likely to be a 6 at pro level than a second row if he is to make it.

RuPi wrote: »
    No surprise about Houston. Be interesting to see what happens with McKee, would imagine Doak or Finlay would have to move to a development deal, would be unlikely to have three scrum halves in the academy at once.

A few good and highly thought of school leavers this year who may push for academy deals straight away. Sheridan may me be monitored at Trinity for another year but he is more likely to be a 6 at pro level than a second row if he is to make it.

any names on school leavers? given the lack of rugby its hard to know.

Irvine presumably, maybe Mawhinney or Paddy Browne?

RuPi wrote: »

Would it really make a difference? Worse case scenario planning that Cooney moves on for a final big pay contract in 2022. Three horses are better than one.

launish116 wrote: »
    Would it really make a difference? Worse case scenario planning that Cooney moves on for a final big pay contract in 2022. Three horses are better than one.

yeah ulster don't have so many quality 9's that they can just ignore a potential one.

• Advertisement

Ulster A v Leinster A confirmed Friday 1500 hours.

launish116 wrote: »

Yep. Cooney may be away at the end of the season, but even if not, he's the wrong side of thirty, and Mathewson is older. I'd like to see him get a year extension, but that's all it would be, and who knows how keen he would even be for that, given his family aren't with him because of Covid.

If every squad needs (at least) three scrumhalves, we need to see if Doak, Finlay and McKee can be those three. I wouldn't cut any loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd keep Cooney. Imo, he's been the best 9 in Ireland for 2 years. Ithink he's still going to make the national squad.
    I do see Faddes, Ludik and Gilroy leaving. Gilroy hasn't been the same since his back injury.
    Yer loaded in the backs! McElroy looks great and he's just 20. Moxham already has exposure and will be part of the u20's. It's mad the quality coming in. Serious quality. There could be international players in that group.
    Ulster have done well, the pack is getting better and the attitude is great. It's great to see and with the current management team, I think they'll thrive.
    Replacing Coetzee will be tough. A lock is also required, but the squad is developing depth .
    I think one of the provinces should make a run for Gilroy. He would be affordable and brings vast experience. If he returns to top form, he's a bargain.

I'd keep Cooney. Imo, he's been the best 9 in Ireland for 2 years. Ithink he's still going to make the national squad.
    I do see Faddes, Ludik and Gilroy leaving. Gilroy hasn't been the same since his back injury.
    Yer loaded in the backs! McElroy looks great and he's just 20. Moxham already has exposure and will be part of the u20's. It's mad the quality coming in. Serious quality. There could be international players in that group.
    Ulster have done well, the pack is getting better and the attitude is great. It's great to see and with the current management team, I think they'll thrive.
    Replacing Coetzee will be tough. A lock is also required, but the squad is developing depth .
    I think one of the provinces should make a run for Gilroy. He would be affordable and brings vast experience. If he returns to top form, he's a bargain.

I'd worry that Gilroy's done.

I’d keep Cooney also, just think at his age he might get an offer he can’t refuse next season. Definitely feels like for once Ulster are planning a head!

Likewise McElroy & Moxham getting more, more exposure looks like a case of fast tracking and weighing up squad options going forward.

If we cut some more fat, Gilroy, Ludik and to some degree I think Faddes could be in bother. McGrath lucky he has a contract, just ain’t getting a return. Be significant saving financially, combined with promoting from within.

If we got 2 backrows and kept Carter, under current circumstances we should be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

I do see Faddes.
    He's staying

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Purist98

Hickey is far from a sure thing to make leinster academy, so could easily be him, especially if they don't view him as a potential 7.

Not sure who Booth is, unlikely Boyle or Coleman will make it either.

Presume he means Conor Booth, Michael's 7 from last year, only u19, good player but don't think he's considered a potential academy prospect

Purist98 wrote: »
    Presume he means Conor Booth, Michael's 7 from last year, only u19, good player but don't think he's considered a potential academy prospect

no not if Hickey and Hernan are struggling to get in..

Purist98 wrote: »

Aye him, was trying to think of players who wouldn't really be in the running for Leinster's academy but might fancy professional rugby elsewhere. Liked the look of him last couple times they played. Forgot about Hernan.

• Advertisement

Are we really that bad that there’s no home grown prospects in the back row at all this season?

Advertisement