Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Does anyone else use an app for recording details of their watch collection?I was using the watch box on Chrono but not all my watches were listed in the selection.Started using an iOS app called watchee , it very good for logging all details from sizes , movement , price ,date sold , serial numbers, warranty dates etc .Might be of interest to some.

Obviously I’ve nothing to do with the app or it’s developers etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Wilson's Auction's, have a seized goods auction listed currently, which has some nice watches included, may be of interest to some regulars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Wilson's Auction's, have a seized goods auction listed currently, which has some nice watches included, may be of interest to some regulars here.

A lot of gangster Rolex there...I find that watches at auction tend to go for mad money once you add in the buyers premium and tax. People loose the run of themselves at auction and over pay for things that are really easy to value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Scottish watches have a long interview with Jean Claude Biver on their latest podcast which is really excellent. He's such an interesting character with a great philosophy on life. Would highly recommend giving it a listen.

I've been reading up on and looking at a lot of USSR watches this week. Some fascinating designs and pretty interesting history.

It feels easy to mess up though getting started. There are few really old elektronika digital watches that are interesting and look great. Are these a yay or nay buy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've had a fair number of early Soviet analogue quartz down the years and I'd reckon well over half of them stopped running within a year. That said they were cheap as chips so... I'd imagine the digitals would be more robust as what seems to go in the analogue movements is the stepping motor that runs the hands.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I've been reading up on and looking at a lot of USSR watches this week. Some fascinating designs and pretty interesting history.

Any good sites you'd recommend? I'd be interested to read about it. I know very little outside of Vostok

Top two posts on Reddit for me today... /r/watches and /r/watchescirclejerk

hGhnlWF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Top two posts on Reddit for me today... /r/watches and /r/watchescirclejerk

That 1st dude should be glad it was a boy, I dunno how that Doxa would look in pink :P

The 2nd...
    If I'd known attack helicopter was an option!!!?
    I'd have never gotten the snip :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

I've been watching CNN a lot last few days. They do nice little segments during breaks on watches.. less than a minute. So far i've seen pieces on Patek, Cartier, Pam... and fp Journe.. they quoted the Journe as great value between 106k and 110k USD...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

banie01 wrote: »
    If I'd known attack helicopter was an option!!!?
    I'd have never gotten the snip :P
    Be glad it isn't. While attack helicopter is an unquestionably great option for blokes, not so much your better three quarters going through labour, so the its first target would be you. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Can't remember who, but wasn't one of our merry band looking for a JLC Polaris recently?

Saw this over on r/watchexchange and I can see why!
    Screenshot-2020-11-16-20-49-12-485-com-reddit-frontpage.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/comments/jv86v6/wts_jaegerlecoultre_polaris/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Can't remember who, but wasn't one of our merry band looking for a JLC Polaris recently?

Saw this over on r/watchexchange and I can see why!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchange/comments/jv86v6/wts_jaegerlecoultre_polaris/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

That's stunning alright. And not something you'd see pop up too often.

OldBean wrote: »
    That's stunning alright. And not something you'd see pop up too often.

It really is, I can't put my finger on what exactly makes me think it's beautiful?
    It's got a little je ne sais quoi, that is just very alluring.

Now on the topic of other watches.
    Someone else on here was looking for a TC-9 lunar scope?
    Can't remember who, but deffo remember them pegging it as a must have?

Well..
    They are launching a new kick starter for their new version!
    Which, in proof they are definitely watching us...
    Comes with a pulsometer scale!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tc-9watches/tc-9-lunarscope-vintage-md-watch?ref=android_project_share

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Many moons ago one comes to mind. Through Buy and Sell magazine which should show the vintage. :D Had one woman ringing me looking for a present for her husband who kicked off with "it's too expensive". OK... Then asked had the battery been replaced recently(IIRC it was a 60's Omega Seamaster), then wanted my seed breed and generation. Real "Karen" type as they might be described these days. I just put the receiver down.

*caveat* though both our examples happened to be women, my experience in business over the years is I prefer dealing with women as a general thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Had a woman come to view a Tag heuer f1 today and she said the fold over part of the clasp felt very flimsy and fake and it just went downhill from there
    She was comparing it to an alter ego dress watch pinch release clasp which is completely different obviously, generally people are lovely when I meet face to face and we get on and have a nice chat but this was a terrible encounter

She came back a few hours later saying it’s clearly a fake and only worth €200

Anyone else any negative experiences in buying or selling ?

I was selling some computer bits, RAM for a games machine, IIRC.

This guy made a bid, I accepted.

He then seemed to get lost nine times on the way.

Eventually, he turned up outside in a BMW 3 Series coupé, and because I was watching for him, I observed as he carefully emptied his wallet of all but a few notes.

I answered the door to him, handed him the RAM, which he inspected and then proffered 25% less than the price. He showed me his empty wallet and said that was all he had.

I said OK, but what about the notes you put in the dash box before you came in?

He looked at me as if I had just whisked away the mat from beneath his feet.

I took back the RAM and said, you know what? Foxtrot Oscar.

Tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Had a woman come to view a Tag heuer f1 today and she said the fold over part of the clasp felt very flimsy and fake and it just went downhill from there
    She was comparing it to an alter ego dress watch pinch release clasp which is completely different obviously, generally people are lovely when I meet face to face and we get on and have a nice chat but this was a terrible encounter

She came back a few hours later saying it’s clearly a fake and only worth €200

Anyone else any negative experiences in buying or selling ?

Lol. Might aswell block her and ignore. She has no interest in doing business and is the kinda %#$} that will comeback in 2 years looking for you to replace the battery free of charge.
    Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I was selling some computer bits, RAM for a games machine, IIRC.

This guy made a bid, I accepted.

He then seemed to get lost nine times on the way.

Eventually, he turned up outside in a BMW 3 Series coupé, and because I was watching for him, I observed as he carefully emptied his wallet of all but a few notes.

I answered the door to him, handed him the RAM, which he inspected and then proffered 25% less than the price. He showed me his empty wallet and said that was all he had.

I said OK, but what about the notes you put in the dash box before you came in?

He looked at me as if I had just whisked away the mat from beneath his feet.

I took back the RAM and said, you know what? Foxtrot Oscar.

Tosser.

I would rather throw it away than sell it to a €$^# like that. Some people have an illness that they always need to get an extra 10 off. I have a couple of “friends” like that. Nice lads but **** me I would hate to have a trade that meant I had to do a job for one of them. They would screw their mothers for a tenner I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Have mentioned before that I watch videos on abandoned places, just after watching this video exploring the home of a clock maker showing his workbench and tools left behind

The most hassle is with a buyer i had on a free to collect item, 0ne woman arguing about condition of free items, getting lost and shouting at me for giving wrong directions, i am extreemly particular now about who i deal with. And adverts the slightest whisp of a hint they are crazy and i block. Sure i bkocked some ok buyers in my time but zero tolerance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Court rejects Lewis Hamilton’s bid to stop watch maker using his surname:

https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/20/court-rejects-hamiltons-bid-to-stop-watch-maker-using-his-surname/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

eljono wrote: »
    Court rejects Lewis Hamilton’s bid to stop watch maker using his surname:

https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/20/court-rejects-hamiltons-bid-to-stop-watch-maker-using-his-surname/

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike the fella any more.

What a d1ck.

Scumbag.

What an absolutely dick move. Scumbaggery that has cost Hamilton the watchmaker a Bob or 2 aswell.

What an absolutely dick move. Scumbaggery that has cost Hamilton the watchmaker a Bob or 2 aswell.

Great advertising though! Globally! Might be cheap!

893bet wrote: »
    Great advertising though! Globally! Might be cheap!

I'm still kinda gutted I didn't pick up a Khaki King when they went ridiculous cheap via Amazon earlier this year.
    Here's hoping that they do a "screw you Lewis" sale :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Though weren't Hamilton the "bad guy" in a recent court case against a US microbrand/small company who were recasing old Hamiltons, Elgins, Walthams etc.:

https://vorticwatches.com/

Hamilton v Vortic was covered by quite a few of the watch press outlets:
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=vortic+vs+hamilton

I haven't read the Lewis Hamilton case - I heard that it was something about getting trademark for non-watch products? i.e. right now there may be Sólás perfume but I can still trademark Sólás for watch purposes.

Trademark is a funny thing - Ford prevented Ferrari from using the F150 because they thought people might be confused between a US pickup truck and Italian F1 car...
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-12417757

But if you don't protect your trademark... you end up being an Aspirin (tm), Xerox (tm) or Hoover (tm)... Thermos (tm) still has their trademark I think :D

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Though weren't Hamilton the "bad guy" in a recent court case against a US microbrand/small company who were recasing old Hamiltons, Elgins, Walthams etc.:

https://vorticwatches.com/

Hamilton v Vortic was covered by quite a few of the watch press outlets:
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=vortic+vs+hamilton

I haven't read the Lewis Hamilton case - I heard that it was something about getting trademark for non-watch products? i.e. right now there may be Sólás perfume but I can still trademark Sólás for watch purposes.

Trademark is a funny thing - Ford prevented Ferrari from using the F150 because they thought people might be confused between a US pickup truck and Italian F1 car...
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-12417757

But if you don't protect your trademark... you end up being an Aspirin (tm), Xerox (tm) or Hoover (tm)... Thermos (tm) still has their trademark I think :D

Get off the internet and go make me my watch ya bum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I can't make Hangzhou go any faster with production so it will be a waiting game now (ironic too that it's 80% finished but the last 20% being the movements is kinda key for completion :D ).

Watches are being looked after rest assured - no bumming around here :P

• Advertisement

Ship it with no movement.

Will still be miles more accurate than the last Irish Kickstarter.

Advertisement