Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Take a look at Watchfinder.ie - there are a few seamasters around the €3k mark and you can always make an offer. I bought from them this week and got 17% of the listed price (not an omega).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks like Paul Thorpe is involved in a commercial project called "The Vault". Very scarce on details, but seems to be an international watch register based on blockchain technology. Fair play, he was always banging on about the Rolex watch register and it not being public. Interesting to see how this pans out. Presumably you will have to pay to access this system and / or to enter your watch into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I don’t for a second believe Paul Thorpe is doing this for the benefit of the watch people/community that’s all a front to get gullible people to donate to his live streams etc

he’s going into this to make money and that’s it, it will likely be a voluntary website similar to the current one already established.

he should concentrate on showing how to spot a fake watch like the ones his son was selling that he claims he knew nothing about until he was caught 🤔

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Thorpe was selling .jpg watch images last year lads. He is **** charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭scwazrh

1000% agree with you. Thorpe is a complete and utter chancer that would make a timeshare salesman look honest .

We all called Oisin for what he really is but even he is more genuine than Thorpe .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

@unkel did someone steal your skydweller? think you bought one recently? https://www.adverts.ie/casual/rolex/29657127

No, I didn't buy it in the end. Had transferred the money, deal done. Went to collect the watch, tried it on and I couldn't even close the clasp, didn't fit. So I knew instantly it was missing at least one link. Chris didn't have a spare link for it and said it was difficult to get one, could take a few weeks. So he offered to cancel the deal.

Question on the Seiko 4r36 movement.. can it be regulated? Enjoying my turtle a lot but I'd say it's a bit out in terms of time keeping.. be nice to dial it in a bit. Anyone know a watch maker that does regulation around Dublin? I know some will say why bother.. and I might not just curious

Thanks

Mick

anyone else excited for watches and wonder 2023 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

What's expected from W&W this year? Saw the supposed new Rolex leaks the other day and they're fairly underwhelming (and unavailable at retail anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The short answer is yes, the 4R36 movement can be regulated.

Having a little look around, the manufacturing tolerances seem to be a bit wide, and people report varying performance from new. However, it is a good, solid movement and a tried and trusted design evolution. It should, with a bit of persistence and a timegrapher, be easily made to be accurate. What is also reported is that they keep good time in being worn but tend not to fare well on things like winders.

Thanks it was probably lying in a box for a month or so before i got it - so ill wear it a few weeks and see if it settles down. I know some folks dont care about accuracy.. but if i wear a watch for a month id prefer to not have to adjust it every few days.. anyone locally you know might do regulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,944 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'm in a bit of a watch lull at the moment,

still have my IWC Portuguese, IWC 41mm pilots chrono (blue dial), Omega dark side of the moon and a zenith chronomaster sport (which is back to zenith under warranty to be repaired) but sold the rest. In a man maths sense i have a fair old whack of cash to spend on a watch or two, but cant seem to decide.

I am loath to pay over retail for a rolex (but id have a sub again in a heartbeat) and there isnt anything else that is enticing me to buy. I have had flirtations with the green omega sm 300 or the NTTD, but they arent a sub. Was thinking of the cartier santos but had the blue dial and sold it already, i always like a panerai but have bought and sold a dozen of them :(

subs probably arent dramatically over retail at the moment?

Not miles over but thats mainly cause the retail price has gone up considerably over the last year . But your still talking 12-13k min for a new model date so its 20% above

yes 13k for a sub date, 10.5k retail is plenty for one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rolex are extremely conservative with their design and brand, mainly because their market and buyers are and anything that deviates too far from the norm of "it looks like a Rolex" tends not to sell too well. A slight colour shift, a slightly different material or more/less text on the dial is about your lot and gets their market's attention and sales. This has stood Rolex very well over the years, so they'd be kinda mad to change that. Now they did bring out a lefty crown on the wrong side, but it still passed the "it looks like a Rolex"(and isn't a great seller), so I'd not expect anything too wacky or different from them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

@Wibbs I'm one of those old farts that likes the design classics.

Everything these days that is aimed towards broadening customer bases or targeting new global markets generally turns me off. It's always more bling, more shiny or one of those awful meteorite dials, the watch equivalent of the modern BMW grill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm more the pure utility or Modernist designs from the times before the Future(tm) stopped being a thing and Modernism became a dirty word. The Rolex Sub is certainly a design classic, like the Fender Stratocaster, though the latter was extremely Modernist when it first came out in the 1950's(and took a while to gain traction). The Sub was more of an evolution of their Explorer*. Of the original first diving watches(with a bezel) for me anyway the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms was the most Modernist and most innovative. Omega, Longines and Rolex's offerings were more like playing catchup**. Pity their later offerings look a tad too "bling", but meh bling.

*IMHO the Explorer(along with the datejust) is the Rolex, the OG, genesis. All their other sports models are essentially the Explorer with add ons, and that's how they evolved too. Sub, Explorer with bezel(and the Sub was a rebranded Turn-o-Graph, itself an Explorer with a bezel), GMT, Explorer with bezel and extra hand, the modern Milgauss, Explorer with "funky" hands and class, AirKing, Explorer with different text on the dial. The Daytona is about the only outlier and that's more to do with function and movement.

** what's mad is Longines invented the external rotating bezel but for pilots and never thought of applying it to dive watches. Rolex had the Turn-O-Graph and their waterproof Oyster case, a Sub by any other name and again never thought of making that extra leap. They very rarely even mentioned swimming with thier watches in their adverts(even the first ad campaign for the Oyster featuring the woman who swam the English Channel, she wore it around her neck, not on her wrist). I suppose it was timing too. While military scuba diving was certainly a thing from WW2(and both Longines and Rolex provided watches/movements for that), civillian sport diving had only really started to take off, just as Blancpain brought out their Fifty Fathoms.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I'm in a bit of a watch lull at the moment

Feeling the same myself .I’m eager to buy but nothing is hitting the spot at the moment.I’d still love a Pepsi but even at €18-19k I think they are overpriced.I was trying to trade a couple of watches towards the yachtmaster on adverts but usual story of seller charging high and offering low for mine.

last watch I got excited for was the skydweller that @unkel bet me to but when I found it was available again the mood had gone of me.He probably saved me a mistake. The new Weirs Rolex boutique / display area is due to open at end of next month and there’s lots of promises of what will be available so I’ll wait till then and hopefully get something.

I think both of you would have regretted the sky dweller if I'm honest so probably for the best!

I get you re the gmt, which is a watch I really like and I could buy one tmrw but a) I don't think buying it at today's grey prices will look like a smart move in 12 months time and b) it's basically the same as the 3 black bezel gmts I owned over the past 5 years, the first one of which cost me around 1/3 of what a Pepsi goes for!

I think the Pepsi is unique though. It owns those colours despite many other watches using them . The Pepsi on jubilee has bags of history compared to the black bezel or blue / black .

Who knows re pricing though. Definitely not a €18k watch but will they be more or less in years time is anyone’s guess.

Same here lads. I think I dodged a bullet with the blue skydweller. And I simply can't think of a suitable replacement for the JC. I have a 46mm Breitling Superocean 2 heritage (wearing it now) which I like, but it's a tad on the conservative side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Did you sell the JC or was that going in trade to the sky dweller? What’s got you keen to change?

I must be in the minority, have no intentions of selling anything, and probably not buying anything for 12/18 months. Have a desire for a gold Daytona on oyster flex 😬

Rolex have a new gmt master coming apparently

Was going to trade it in. Dunno, just want a change of scene, had the JC since 2020, that's extremely long for me 😂 Very hard to replace it with anything though, must be blue, must be big, must be class. Suggestions welcome though 😁

I know of a gold Yachtmaster for sale on oyster flex if you are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Considered yacht masters before, but I think at this point it would be too similar to what I have, and I’m missing a chronograph!

Daytona is very small (38mm in reality) and wears even smaller. Do try one out before you buy! I find Dawson's very good for this. Sales people very knowledgeable, always friendly and patient, never any pressure to buy.

• Advertisement

The post must have been cathartic I have a sd43 arriving early next week 🤣

Advertisement