Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hey thats just the dance, and half the fun. I always appreciate that anyone I am selling to is trying to get it as cheap as possible and guys I have had really tough negotiations with have turned out to be repeat customers and really top blokes.

I think you are right with Omega in particular, Long suffering Breitling sellers seem to price more realistically. When I have sold Omega I found that if you price appropriately (and I took some hard medicine from RRP) they fly out.

Tudor is a new one to me, never had one or sold one. They seem to get bough and sold quickly and often so maybe I am best out, although I like the designs and the quality seems top notch.

You would have a moonwatch and a SMP300 for the 5k you paid for the aquaterra....depressing thought.

Well I bought my aqua Terra second hand so im not that depressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Well I bought my aqua Terra second hand so im not that depressed

ah i picked you up wrong sorry. omega takes a big drop but holds well after that. Second hand is a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OmegaGene wrote: »
    you said you threw out a couple of low balls and then say they arent low balls :confused:
    how do the seller know you are prepared to negotiate ? they are not mind readers, that is why i prefer taking things to pm or text as i think it works better for both parties involved

There's low balls and there's adverts low balls. Adverts low balls is offering around a third of the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's low balls and there's adverts low balls. Adverts low balls is offering around a third of the asking price.

Sometimes on adverts an offer of a third of the asking price is more reasonable than the asking price was in the first place.

Obviously not easy to convince the seller of this :p

And an offer is just an offer. Almost always the first offer on an eBay auction is far less than a third of what the seller would accept as a minimum. Why would it have to be different on adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Rootsblower

I’m selling my Breitling Colt GMT+ on Adverts.ie. Watch is in excellent condition and is a full set. I’m looking for €1500 but there is a bit of wiggle room. The average on Chrono24 is roughly €2000. So take out the 10% commission and shipping and I suppose your taking €1700. I’ve been offered €800 and €1000 for it, now they’re low ballers I feel . At the end of the day I’m selling the watch and I’m in no hurry I want what I feel it’s worth and if someone doesn’t want to pay I’ll keep it. I’m not giving it away. Sellers are just as entitled to expect a fair price just as much as buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭893bet

I’m selling my Breitling Colt GMT+ on Adverts.ie. Watch is in excellent condition and is a full set. I’m looking for €1500 but there is a bit of wiggle room. The average on Chrono24 is roughly €2000. So take out the 10% commission and shipping and I suppose your taking €1700. I’ve been offered €800 and €1000 for it, now they’re low ballers I feel . At the end of the day I’m selling the watch and I’m in no hurry I want what I feel it’s worth and if someone doesn’t want to pay I’ll keep it. I’m not giving it away. Sellers are just as entitled to expect a fair price just as much as buyers.

What the reference number?

893bet wrote: »
    What the reference number?

It’s A3237011/C782

Did you engage with the buyers and explain this to them, 1000 euro becomes 1400 euro fairly quickly once the buyers starts to get the warm fuzzy feelings from the seller. All I ever get is flat ---"no thanks" even with strong offers.

Did you engage with the buyers and explain this to them, 1000 euro becomes 1400 euro fairly quickly once the buyers starts to get the warm fuzzy feelings from the seller. All I ever get is flat ---"no thanks" even with strong offers.

I did I even offered one guy the option to pay over a number of weeks but they never engaged any further. They wanted it at a low ball figure and that was that.

I did I even offered one guy the option to pay over a number of weeks but they never engaged any further. They wanted it at a low ball figure and that was that.

If you accepted it would go to PM then they would start negotiating down again and link to a sale of a similar one in 2004.

I think your price is fairly on point for an automatic colt GMT.

• Advertisement

If you accepted it would go to PM then they would start negotiating down again and link to a sale of a similar one in 2004.

I think your price is fairly on point for an automatic colt GMT.

Thanks regarding the price point I thought as much myself. No point in being unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

A seller can’t show their cards until it goes to PM. Otherwise when low baller pulls out everyone else can see what seller was willing to accept.
    Then the game starts again but the next guy is looking for a further discount off the new price.
    A firm “no thanks” is the way to go.
    It works both ways. Nobody is interested in my Seiko Chrono Solar and I can’t complain. Maybe I’m in too high and that’s my problem.

shutup wrote: »
    A seller can’t show their cards until it goes to PM. Otherwise when low baller pulls out everyone else can see what seller was willing to accept.
    Then the game starts again but the next guy is looking for a further discount off the new price.
    A firm “no thanks” is the way to go.
    It works both ways. Nobody is interested in my Seiko Chrono Solar and I can’t complain. Maybe I’m in too high and that’s my problem.

I’m in the same boat have 10 people watching my Colt GMT+ all waiting for a low ball offer I’ll entertain to set the market. It’s as if a lot of buyers believe it’s a fire sale and that your desperate. I’ve sold other watches online and when I researched the buyers they seem to be watch flippers. Sold a beautiful Tag Heuer watch at a reasonable price but some flippers were all for offering “€200 cash today”

Also people wanted to meet on the side of the road and when I said it was collection only at my house in cash they never answered back.

I’d really love a person who appreciates nice watches and craftsmanship to buy it, alas I think I’ll have it for a while yet

Make me a reasonable offer and I’ll make sure you get that warm fuzzy feeling!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tudor is a new one to me, never had one or sold one. They seem to get bough and sold quickly and often so maybe I am best out, although I like the designs and the quality seems top notch

I owned 2, and the quality is very good. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one again. For many people - as you may have said yourself a while ago - they're bought because the corresponding Rolex is too expensive/hard to get. But they are excellent watches in their own right. A North Flag is high on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Also people wanted to meet on the side of the road and when I said it was collection only at my house in cash they never answered back.

I never meet at home. You don’t want someone changing his mind and turning up at your door!

I never meet at home. You don’t want someone changing his mind and turning up at your door!

Have suggested local Garda station once too, after that it was radio silence from the potential buyer.

Eoin wrote: »
    I owned 2, and the quality is very good. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one again. For many people - as you may have said yourself a while ago - they're bought because the corresponding Rolex is too expensive/hard to get. But they are excellent watches in their own right. A North Flag is high on my list.

Wearing a black bay atm on leather strap it’s a fantastic piece of kit. I’d say the service on will be pricey given it’s now an in house made movement.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'll offer another perspective, as an Adverts Mod who has seen lots of ads go down in flames....

Whatever way your price your item (watch or otherwise) and assuming it's realistic stick to your price. Be polite but firm, and use blocklists to keep away the trolls. Don't feed the trolls or engage it arguments, it'll ruin your ad. You may have to wait, but if your price is fair/reasonable, someone will buy it eventually

Or turning up when you are not at home.....armed with the fact that you like a nice watch and may have more.....and having gotten a look to see if you have a dog/alarm/gates etc.

• Advertisement

This is getting out of control now, this seller I have to admire for his brass balls

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch/19775942?notification=c61dc127c964a3b1bab8fe90da979801-1582063995#comment_124100358

Chap offering nearly full retail to him and he holds out over 150 euro. Crazy crazy crazy.

This is getting out of control now, this seller I have to admire for his brass balls

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch/19775942?notification=c61dc127c964a3b1bab8fe90da979801-1582063995#comment_124100358

Chap offering nearly full retail to him and he holds out over 150 euro. Crazy crazy crazy.

I am resisting telling him how over priced he is as he has a good account with feedback so no need to troll him

He may actually hook someone but I suspect no one will complete the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I am resisting telling him how over priced he is as he has a good account with feedback so no need to troll him

He may actually hook someone but I suspect no one will complete the sale.

Whats the actual going rate for this watch? From the ad it seems fair...

oxocube wrote: »

3k would be fair for second hand. Less than that a bargain. More than 3.2 expensive.

20% off omega at retail is readily available with some effort.

All in my humble opinion of course.

oxocube wrote: »

Well its not new...warranty is activated and stickers removed. So a used on averages about 3300 on chrono24. Retail they can be had for around 3800-4000 euro grey market, before negotiating a discount. Omega list them at 4800 euro
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-professional-chronograph-42-mm-31130423001005

20% discount it around 3840 euro or 15% is 4080 both realistic discounts in a AD for a new one.

The same seller accepted an offer of 2900 on one in 2019 a year old full set. https://www.adverts.ie/sports/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch/17796531

I hear there are some good bargains out there if you know the right people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

4800 seems crazy for a speedy professional - but then again I paid a good chunk of that to get a 2nd hand quartz speedy professional (+ service) :pac:

How do ye deal with fakes in a private sale? Watchfinder had a video comparing a fake speedmaster to a real one and it was extremely similar.

How do ye deal with fakes in a private sale? Watchfinder had a video comparing a fake speedmaster to a real one and it was extremely similar.

Think that was a seamaster, but there are some really good fakes out there. Its hard fake the packaging and box on a moonwatch...however the only way to lower your risk is to "buy the seller". Dawson Jewlers will verify for you for a small fee also. But its a sharktank out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Do all your research on the watch, watching reviews and unboxing videos, to know exactly what should be there and what it looks like.

Meet somewhere secure and with obvious CCTV (Dawson's to verify as Fitzgeme mentioned)

But most importantly, walk away if anything feels wrong, you're missing an answer to any questions or if there's any extra pressure. Plenty more watches out there. So many people feel they have to follow through even if something feels off - It's worth having company to remind you of this.

• Advertisement

All great advice, goes to show private you have to buy cheap to cover your risk.

Advertisement