Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

IMO pam 111 is probably all the panerai you need, luminor case, sandwich dual, hand wound unitas.

1950s case is a bit uncomfortable imo unless it's the new revised thinner one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Starting to miss mine now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Excellent reply, thanks for that. Defo for me the panerai look is crown protector and a simple uncomplicated dial. Must look into them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Don't forget the Panerai 318 Brooklyn Bridge "scandal" (they forgot to pretty up the Unitas and just put in a standard grade movement into a 5k watch 🤣 )

I think the scandal was that they never(?) admitted to making a mistake… so technically quite a few fake Panerais would be finished better than that real Panerai 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Or how about when their Official Instagram page recently posted a fake Panerai .. they never noticed ..

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm gonna disagree with that one - sausage dial, no second hand and no display case back. I'd the 111 that Cyrus mentioned, and would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm thinking of buying the PAM01085

But as people have said, it is really hard to find your way through the different models. Maybe one of the in-house (pardon the pun 🤣) Paneristi in here can advise? My requirements:

1. must have blue dial
    2. minimum 44mm
    3. don't like the submersible range, do like both Luminor and Radiomir ranges
    4. clean looks, no chrono, preferably no date (although not a deal breaker), just a two hander would suffice but the little seconds is nice too
    5. the more lume the better
    6. I like the sandwich dial, but not a deal breaker - I think the one in above model is a not quite a sandwich dial but does have depth so not quite a sausage dial either?
    7. budget: flexible. But I don't want to lose thousands on it when / if resale time comes. Up to a thousand is acceptable
    8. WR, 100m is fine
    9. don't really care about the movement, auto or manual, in house or cheap hidden ETA 😄
    10. don't care about display case back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

The blue dial Pams are always lovely I think. Far to big for me no doubt but lovely.

if you are worried or concerned about the future value unk that means you can’t afford it and need to buy something that is within your budget (allegedly this is the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks - i have an offer on my Seiko on chrono24 from Japan. Any concerns about dealing with someone so far away? Ive sold one watch before there but was to France so was easy enough to organize postage etc. What would be the best delivery method to Japan? Would an post take months? (Insurance aside)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Of all the usual watch brands talked about here, I find the Panerai hardest to understand.

To me, it appears to be a Mini marketed as Maybach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I've had watches sent by FedEx from Japan for 50€. Does it the return trip cost the same? there's an online calculator.

I can afford it alright, but I would prefer if it didn't have a huge depreciation (after I buy it).

But you are right, a few years ago I could not have afforded it - or the better word I think is justified it - so the Omegas / Rolexes were a better choice. I really like the look and the feel of the Panerais though, I think I got the bug!

Not wanting to take a bath on something that costs thousands doesn't mean you can't afford it

My comment was tongue in cheek (and not something I agree with). See the speedmaster vs IWC thread from the other day for context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Speaking of depreciation, where would we see the Omega Aqua Terra worldtimer going. €7k seems to be a rough current price on C24. Love the lool but 7k is not in my price range. (Although I can afford it! 😂)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the one i sold recently

sandwich dial

No faux lume

Nicest blue dial

Crown guard

Newer 1950s case

And its an auto so you dont need to worry about winding

Pam1313

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/panerai-luminor-marina-44mm-pam01313-introducing

Good few of us missed the boat not buying that off you Cyrus, it was a stunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lads (in the generic people and totally not sexist or exclusionary sense 😉)

Are Watchfinder actually trolling us? Their address is interesting to say the least 😂

Watchfinder & Co.,

Watchfinder, Invicta House, Pudding Lane, Maidstone, ME14 1NX

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

evening lads,

can someone explain a "sandwich " dial to the uneducated please,

thanks Roy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

asked google sorted, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hiya Roy.

It's a 2 layer dial. The back layer is usually copiously lumed and the top/front layer has the numbers/indices cut out to show the lumed numbers in low relief.

One of the more educated WIS will have a better explanation but basically 2 layers, 1 lumed behind a cutout dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Sandwich dial.

Panini

Post edited by Cyclingtourist on

If only I knew at the time that I wanted it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

There is something really unique about Panerai. I have owned a few different models in the past (106, 312, 233, 572, 423 and 946) and always own at least one - I generally trade them on to get the desired model I can afford at the time (I am currently looking at a 573). I can only comment on my own experience, but each one I have owned has been very impressive and is the go-to watch as a daily wearer. I have always found the quality to be of the highest order and if accuracy is important to you, the 'worst' performer I had was within 3s/d. Recent models from 2018 can avail of 8 year manufacturers warranty so that is some level of assurance from the manufacturer. The Luminor is the iconic model but to me the Radiomir is the classier and more versatile - especially the 1940 case. As mentioned earlier, stay away from the while dial and personally I would also stay away from the 'Due' collection as the WR is a nonsense for a sportswatch (3bar/30m) even if you never intend going to such depths. Panerai as a company do themselves no favours at times and now again with the movement fiasco. I don't think Panerai are the only company that could be accused of this practice, but my understanding is that this particular journalist has jumped on Panerai at every possible opportunity so there is obviously some bad history between the two. Despite such negative press, if you do your research and pick the model/size/movement that clears your itch to own one, you will not be disappointed. Just my own 2c worth as I see that there are a few on here that are interested in purchasing a Panerai.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Ian OB

Question for ye. Why is the date on dive watches under a magnified lens?

Surely, if I'm several metres below, knowing at a glance that its the 7th rather than the 8th is the least of the important bits of information needed.

Know nothing about diving at all at all (& the same about watches) so maybe I'm just missing a trick here.

Many thanks

My view is that the magnified actually makes it hard see the date, you have to look straight on to see it or the lens distorts it. The reason I think they are there is that mostly dive watches are worn by blind old codgers like me rather than underwater, knowing the date under water is irrelevant to the task. Its kinda a Rolex design feature at this stage

That’s why I much prefer the submariner to the submariner date. It’s a much cleaner look when the cyclops is not ruining the asthetics.

in saying that though , the hulk or any precious metals submariners would look wrong without a date so maybe it’s just a tool watch that doesn’t need a date in my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Advertisement