Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

banie01 wrote: »
    I got into the habit when I lived in the canaries.
    Late nights and early starts often meant that a kickstart coffee was needed.

It's 1/4 condensed milk and 3/4 strong espresso.
    Condensed milk 1st, layed on the bottom of a glass then the coffee shot drawn on top.

Stir and drink at your own pace.

I think it's also known as a Vietnamese coffee or a cafe bonbon too.

I love a cortado sometimes called a “leche leche”especially from the less touristy bars. You could trot mice across the espresso in the cortado. As part of a Barraquito it’s even better

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Well this thread went a bit fancy with posh coffees

I'm about to grind up some Sumatran beans and sacrifice their essence to the gods of the college result!
    Results in 11 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Well this thread went a bit fancy with posh coffees

Anyone tried Irel or Camp coffe? It was widely sold before anyone knew what an Americano was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'm about to grind up some Sumatran beans and sacrifice their essence to the gods of the college result!
    Results in 11 minutes!

Good luck!

Everything passed, 2 As, 2Bs and a C that I need to review the marking scheme on because that was the paper I was most confident about.
    Still, I'm happy with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Everything passed, 2 As, 2Bs and a C that I need to review the marking scheme on because that was the paper I was most confident about.

Well done!

That definitely deserves a good coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Well done!

That definitely deserves a good coffee.

Deserves a coffee while you decide what Rolex to get to celebrate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well done banie, is that the final year done? Beers?:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Well done banie, is that the final year done? Beers?:D

Nah, only 2nd year.
    2 to go still but I have a break now as I don't have a co-op :)

Nah, only 2nd year.
    2 to go still but I have a break now as I don't have a co-op :)

Wow!!! Four years to become a barista.

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    Deserves a coffee while you decide what Rolex to get to celebrate.

I don't know that I could live with letting a couple go to buy a Rolex tbh :(
    I am a fan of Cyrus' Zenith tho!

Edit: Not that I could afford that without letting a couple go either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Brings me back to the L Cert - marking scheme had the correct answer as X = A - B, I wrote X = -B + A... marker decided that this was incorrect :/ (it's not!) the difference between an A1 and A2 (in old money).

Physics didn't accept "nuclear weapons" as a legitimate use of radioactive isotopes - *definitely not bitter about that still* :P

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Brings me back to the L Cert - marking scheme had the correct answer as X = A - B, I wrote X = -B + A... marker decided that this was incorrect :/ (it's not!) the difference between an A1 and A2 (in old money).

Physics didn't accept "nuclear weapons" as a legitimate use of radioactive isotopes - *definitely not bitter about that still* :P

It may a bit of misplaced confidence on my part, but it was the only exam I felt really comfortable with and it was my lowest score.
    Still no marking scheme or feedback released but hopefully by tmrw.

I do like your attempt to blur physics and metaphysics tho :P

It may a bit of misplaced confidence on my part, but it was the only exam I felt really comfortable with and it was my lowest score.
    Still no marking scheme or feedback released but hopefully by tmrw.

I do like your attempt to blur physics and metaphysics tho :P

Strange what you remember after all the years - for my J. Cert... CSPE - asked to give an example of environmental conservation I said:
    "If it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow"...

On reviewing the paper I saw that I was marked correct, then wrong, then correct for that answer... poor examiner must have had some doubts about that answer (water conservation is very important so my answer was entirely appropriate (at least to a 15 year old fox)). Mind just works differently I think :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Only once did I have to review an exam paper, soil science in college. There was about 5 of us wanting a review. One of my answers related to something the lecturer said in class, but wasn't in the notes and was marked wrong. I later realised that it hadn't been corrected by the lecturer but by one of his PhD students.

Later on the same PhD was my supervisor doing a masters, I reckon it was the worst 2 years of my life, I quit, just couldn't stand the cnut. Wouldn't surprise me if what Wibbs was talking about earlier was involved in the doctorate.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Despite the love-in among most watch fans for autos, its nice to go to a drawer and pick out a quartz you haven't worn for a month or more, and just be able to put it on and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

NIMAN wrote: »
    Despite the love-in among most watch fans for autos, it nice to go to a drawer and pick out a quartz you haven't worn for a month or more, and just be able to put it on and go.

I keep wearing my g-shock because of this. A nice quartz is going to be my next purchase

Cienciano wrote: »
    I keep wearing my g-shock because of this. A nice quartz is going to be my next purchase

I have a longines v.h.p or grand Seiko quartz GMT on my list for pretty much the same reason.
    I just have to convince myself that my Citizen doesn't count and neither does my Tuning fork watch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Well done banie! Keep her lit :)

I have a longines v.h.p or grand Seiko quartz GMT on my list for pretty much the same reason.
    I just have to convince myself that my Citizen doesn't count and neither does my Tuning fork watch ;)

It's more tuning fork than watch perhaps?

• Advertisement

For the more appreciative of Soviet utilitarianism amongst us...
    Or just not Fitz :P

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/soviet-russian-watches-collectors-intl-hnk-dst/index.html
    With pseudonyms like the The Bastard, The Broker, The Astronaut and The Vampire, they've banded together deep inside the world of Soviet-era watch collecting.
    This cabal of watch aficionados spans the globe, albeit in cyberspace, bringing history to the wrists of thousands with timepieces dating back to the days of Stalin.
    Dashiell Oatman-Stanford calls himself "a Soviet watch nerd." His friends call him The Catalog.
    His website, Watches of the USSR, reveals why. It brings together highlights from his exhaustive archive of around 3,000 pieces. Some come and some go, as he refines and revises his collection. But despite only starting his hobby seven years ago, Oatman-Stanford is one of the czars of historic Soviet watches.

For the more appreciative of Soviet utilitarianism amongst us...
    Or just not Fitz :P

This is hanging in my kitchen, an original 1980 soviet propaganda poster reminding us how much the motherland could produce in 10 minutes so I wouldnt say I am unappreciative of Soviet utilitarianism I just think the watches are not worth collecting. But hey people will collect almost anything like bottle tops, or combs, or rusty medieval nails.

PXL-20210622-173702396.jpg

This is hanging in my kitchen, an original 1980 soviet propaganda poster reminding us how much the motherland could produce in 10 minutes so I wouldnt say I am unappreciative of Soviet utilitarianism I just think the watches are not worth collecting. But hey people will collect almost anything like bottle tops, or combs, or rusty medieval nails.

Cool chairs.

Early soviet design was very revolutionary and is now very collectable. The post-war watch aesthetic wasn't as good IMO but it certainly provides variety and affordability.

The chairs are nice, but the poster is a stunner ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well to be fair one of them puts it like this:

Nobody is buying Russian watches or Soviet watches for the reason that most people buy watches, which is it's a fashion piece, a jewelry accessory," he said. "It is purely for the interest and intrigue, exoticism, the military connection."

It's a very different market and mindset to the mainstream watch market. One of the holy grails of Soviet era watches are the extremely rare versions/ripoffs of Bulova tuning fork movements that they back engineered. Which was no mean feat. The Bulova index wheel alone is still a proprietary technology of Bulova and the process to manufatcure them is still a secret even though they haven't made any since the 70's. There are only a handful of the Soviet tuning forks left out there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The chairs are nice, but the poster is a stunner ;)

Here is one only you will appreciate.....origional Kev O'Neill 2000ad

PXL-20210622-180110207.jpg

...now my Russian is rusty... but looking at the watch - shouldn't that be a propaganda poster on what the Soviets could produce in 5 minutes?

An easy mistake...but this is the watch forum after all - you should now surrender all your holy Trinity pieces :pac:

Here is one only you will appreciate.....origional Kev O'Neill 2000ad

I know how much of a longshot this is ;)
    But!
    Should you ever decide to move that on?
    I'd love a heads up?

Thirdfox wrote: »
    ...now my Russian is rusty... but looking at the watch - shouldn't that be a propaganda poster on what the Soviets could produce in 5 minutes?

An easy mistake...but this is the watch forum after all - you should now surrender all your holy Trinity pieces :pac:

its actually per minute...on watches we use the hands to tell the time ;)
    I know how much of a longshot this is ;)
    But!
    Should you ever decide to move that on?
    I'd love a heads up?

Thats a cold dead hands one Banie...was a gift from my brother, its was his 2000 AD's I used to read all the time.

• Advertisement

PSR Hamilton - I have an itch- it's a big enough itch- but only for the stainless steel version- I know i can get this for 100euro less but even then- just interested in opinions- it will be a keeper but also interested in future value opinions- I'm soooooo tempted :D

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ie/h52414130-american-classic-psr-digital-quartz.html

good bad and indifferent opinions welcome btw so don't hold back.

Advertisement