Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It needed at least one digital watch in my humble. For a period between the late 70's and mid to late 80's they were among the top of the tree in watches worn by many if not most people who walked into a jeweller and bought a Seiko.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

blue5000 wrote: »
    Did your favourite Seiko make it to hodinkee's top 10?

Yep, the 62MAS. I do own one on the list, orange monster. I agree with wibbs, a quartz, probably the astron should have made it. I have to hand it to the Swiss, they've really made quartz the bastard child of horology.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wibbs wrote: »
    It needed at least one digital watch in my humble. For a period between the late 70's and mid to late 80's they were among the top of the tree in watches worn by many if not most people who walked into a jeweller and bought a Seiko.

Perhaps hodinkee have none for sale;).

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Ha.

My favourite seiko (the Samurai) dosent but one I own does, the SKX (modulo a colour change from black to yellow).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why do i have such good taste? It's actually annoying. I went down some horological internet rabbit hole and saw a watch and thought, Ooo, I like that, I wonder how much. Of course it's some iconic classic colllectors piece with a price tag of a decent car.

Universal-Geneve-Compax-Nina-Rindt.jpg

Universal Genève Compax 'Nina Rindt'

Why couldn't I just randomly fancy something cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can anyone spot what watch Liam Brady is wearing on RTE euro coverage?

There is plenty of shots of it today, and indeed yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I might ask for a recommendation too. Im going to pick up a G-Shock for training the local under age gaa team. That is, I want something a bit robust for it and nothing fancy features wise - just for timing drills. Any recommendations of particular models or will any fit the bill in the G-Shock range? ( I might be over thinking things!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I was going to suggest a gbx100 mainly for the display. It has quite a bit of functionality, I think it will also track distance.

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/wat/watch_detail/GBX-100-1/

About 130€

For half the price there is a dw5600 but it's a much simpler older design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

SeaFields wrote: »
    I might ask for a recommendation too. Im going to pick up a G-Shock for training the local under age gaa team. That is, I want something a bit robust for it and nothing fancy features wise - just for timing drills. Any recommendations of particular models or will any fit the bill in the G-Shock range? ( I might be over thinking things!)

The GBX 100 looks cool but lacks the classic G Shock look of the DW5610 or 5600

There is a more mundane problem with the G Shock for the task mentioned. The buttons are tiny and need small fingers (or fingernails) to operate them. I would look at a running watch from Casio or Nike with buttons on the face. Unless you're firing sliotars at it it should be rugged enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This guy goes through every function of the GBX100 if you want a closer look

https://youtu.be/2E1C7N3Q7g8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Close call this morning? Was putting my Seamaster Pro on whilst sitting at my desktop and noticed that it was 1 minute slow. Went to unscrew the crown and to my surprise noticed that the crown was already unscrewed and pulled one position out i.e. to the date set position.

I've no idea how this happened, the last time I set the time on it was more than a week ago, so I'm questioning if I didn't properly screw it back in and it has been open since then? If so, I may have had a lucky escape from water damage. I wear this watch most days and it doesn't get taken off, that includes washing the cars, dishes and baby!

TLDR: Check your crowns are secure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Could be worse.

You could have taken the watch off while working around the house so you don't damage it and immediately drop it on a tiled floor after picking it back up from the table.

You want to be some eejit to do that with a Milguass and shatter the crystal for example :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

eljono wrote: »
    Close call this morning? Was putting my Seamaster Pro on whilst sitting at my desktop and noticed that it was 1 minute slow. Went to unscrew the crown and to my surprise noticed that the crown was already unscrewed and pulled one position out i.e. to the date set position.

I've no idea how this happened, the last time I set the time on it was more than a week ago, so I'm questioning if I didn't properly screw it back in and it has been open since then? If so, I may have had a lucky escape from water damage. I wear this watch most days and it doesn't get taken off, that includes washing the cars, dishes and baby!

TLDR: Check your crowns are secure!

I left the helium release valve open and a day later went for a swim. Apparently it remains waterproof but to 50m instead of 300m with it open. May be the same with the crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Could.

You want to be some eejit to do that with a Milguass and shatter the crystal for example :o

Weirdly, only yesterday I was talking about swapping the crystal on my Citizen and someone said yeah the good thing about sticking with mineral crystal is the reduced risk of shattering!

And I was like? Who has ever shattered a sapphire crystal? Yeah I get it's possible but surely it's unlikely?

Then you go and make them right!
    FFS, I hate it when they're right like!
    Thanks for nothing Frank...

On a serious note tho, that's an absolute pain in the balls :(
    Sorry it happened and hopefully it's put right without too much pocket pain.

Could be worse.

You could have taken the watch off while working around the house so you don't damage it and immediately drop it on a tiled floor after picking it back up from the table.

"It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife" :(

RTE news : As time goes by - new clock museum opens in Waterford

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0614/1227977-horological-museum-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭893bet

That’s sounds like a 1k plus’s problem frank. Full service will be insisted on by Rolex incase glass entered the movement. An independent might just replace the glass...if they can get access to the the OEM glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

893bet wrote: »
    That’s sounds like a 1k plus’s problem frank. Full service will be insisted on by Rolex incase glass entered the movement. An independent might just replace the glass...if they can get access to the the OEM glass.

Yeah I'm expecting a hefty bill for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why do i have such good taste? It's actually annoying. I went down some horological internet rabbit hole and saw a watch and thought, Ooo, I like that, I wonder how much. Of course it's some iconic classic colllectors piece with a price tag of a decent car.

Universal Genève Compax 'Nina Rindt'

Why couldn't I just randomly fancy something cheap?

Obviously not the same but if it’s the look you are after

https://danhenrywatches.com/collections/vintage-watches/products/1962-racing-chronograph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Yeah I'm expecting a hefty bill for it

I serviced and replaced the crystal in a milgauss with Rolex....1400 euro through weirs. If thats the 2008 Milgauss I think it is, not a bad idea to get a service anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

In Keanes Cork today trying on Speedies and a Seamaster 300m. Seamaster looked good and I asked about a discount. €5,200 and he said he could give it to me for 5k, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

In Keanes Cork today trying on Speedies and a Seamaster 300m. Seamaster looked good and I asked about a discount. €5,200 and he said he could give it to me for 5k, lol.

There is a nice non wave dial (had one they are lovely) on adverts asking 3350. Retail shops don't really offer the discounts you would think, 5% is about right on omega to a unknown random tyre kicker.

If you are value shopping then the omega ad is not the place to look.

http://www.adverts.ie/24082869

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Put it this way - even for an Omega boutique employee - their employee discount is 25% (last time I checked around a decade ago :P ) - so 4-5% sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Fitz II wrote: »

If you are value shopping then the omega ad is not the place to look.

http://www.adverts.ie/24082869

Is there any other type of shopping?

Looks good, thanks.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?496136-Omega-cutting-dealer-margins

It does seem the days of 20 percent are over. Even a grey like swisswatchesdirect only have the speedmaster for a couple of 100 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Browsing chrono24, I saw an verified dealer in New York selling a brand new oris pro pilot considerably cheaper than anywhere else online. Original box, no original papers.
    I feel it’s too good to be true. I have never bought on chrono24.
    Should I be concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Verified dealer is just someone who has paid C24 to be listed as a verified dealer I believe? Like the adverts "promoted ad" or "quick sale" function.

• Advertisement

Browsing chrono24, I saw an verified dealer in New York selling a brand new oris pro pilot considerably cheaper than anywhere else online. Original box, no original papers.
    I feel it’s too good to be true. I have never bought on chrono24.
    Should I be concerned?

How much cheaper than other US sellers is he? Do the other US sellers all have box and papers?

If you add 25 percent to price is it comparable to EU sellers? (Ie the VAT)?

Advertisement