Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

About 300 Sterling cheaper. The VAT would indeed even things up.
    I’m thinking of inconveniencing a friend over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

its not worth is at that level of saving, you might get it across untaxed but any warranty work would be a nightmare. Better pay the piper and have the security of a more local deal. Those watches come up on adverts fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Browsing chrono24, I saw an verified dealer in New York selling a brand new oris pro pilot considerably cheaper than anywhere else online. Original box, no original papers.
    I feel it’s too good to be true. I have never bought on chrono24.
    Should I be concerned?

Is it cheaper than this one?

https://www.chrono24.com/oris/oris-aviation-big-crown-pro-pilot-date-v2018-neu--30--id19783583.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I was in Stokes in Cork City yesterday and they had this clock-watch on the floor, think it wasn't for sale but the lady minding the shop wasn't too sure.

556162.JPG

It's about 3-4ft. in diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

Did you buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I don't think IWC would allow a quartz clock to have automatic on the dial(?)

…But what do I know:
    https://www.dealerclocks.shop/products/mark-xvii-white-dial

Did you buy it?

No, the main man wasn't there and just some woman minding the shop who didn't seem to know what was in for sale and what was in for repair. As it hadn't got a price on it it was more likely the latter. He'll been in tomorrow Friday if you want to phone then and find out if it's for sale. :)

Wouldn't have had room in the car anyway what with our luggage and my Brompton.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Got a new nespresso machine for fathers day....I am a big fan its one of the bigger pod one that makes a proper big cup of hot coffee....great present. Mandatory flexing photo.

[

Do Lidl & Aldi do a yellowpack pod to fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭893bet

Thankful not. Under patent protection to keep the riff raffe out.

Then plastic pods are nasty in general and extra bad for the environment.

No dont think so, Lidl and Aldi they do the small pods but I found that they tasted like sh1t. Thats what hommage pods get you, look sorta them same from a distance but crap taste.

• Advertisement

No dont think so, Lidl and Aldi they do the small pods but I found that they tasted like sh1t. Thats what hommage pods get you, look sorta them same from a distance but crap taste.

Dunno, tasted fine to me. Guess it's psycological, if you know they cost more you believe they're better.

Dunno, tasted fine to me. Guess it's psycological, if you know they cost more you believe they're better.

Tried various pods in the original nespresso machine. Some of the Starbucks ones were good

Suppose it does come down to taste , but remember its psychologically even easier convince yourself the cheap stuff is just as good.
    Tried various pods in the original nespresso machine. Some of the Starbucks ones were good

Yeah the starbucks ones are good enough and amazon do a recurring order on them, not cheap though. For thee difference would rather the original ones. There is the matter of the free recycling of the nespresso ones too, the cheaper ones are not recyclable. Nespresso do free collection on recycling bags of pods which is a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Ian OB

Suppose it does come down to taste , but remember its psychologically even easier convince yourself the cheap stuff is just as good.

Not really, it's cheaper because you're not buying the brand and contributing to the George Clooney retirement fund. Buy the coffee not the hype.

Not really, it's cheaper because you're not buying the brand and contributing to the George Clooney retirement fund. Buy the coffee not the hype.

He an Omega Ambassador too , maybe that why Keans wouldn't give you a big discount?

In a blind taste I prefer the nespresso pods. Purely down to taste preferences

• Registered Users Posts: 19,801 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'll be honest I've tried everything and nothing is as good as nespressos own pods, cost regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have a DeLonghi bean to cup machine that I picked up via the BA forum here about 6yrs ago that is still doing sterling service.
    Simple to maintain and use and it delivers great extraction of whatever beans you choose to use.

I'm a fan of all types of coffee, from espresso all the way to blended.
    My usual is a cappuccino, but for an immediate pick me up?
    It's hard to beat a cortado con leche condensada great way to get a headstart ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    I have a DeLonghi bean to cup machine that I picked up via the BA forum here about 6yrs ago that is still doing sterling service.
    Simple to maintain and use and it delivers great extraction of whatever beans you choose to use.

It's hard to beat a cortado con leche condensada great way to get a headstart ;)

Yep beans will be better again as long as you can get something you like

We have a big fancy sage jobby in the office which is great with some silver skin beans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Cyrus wrote: »
    I'll be honest I've tried everything and nothing is as good as nespressos own pods, cost regardless.

I had myself convinced that Nespresso just wasn’t a good enough coffee so tried a few machines and different blends of coffee.Went back to Nespresso and their own pods quick enough once the initial novelty of using over complicated machines and trying to choose from a range of beans wore off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm a tea man personally. Can't abide the coffee stuff. Love the smell though. Well when I could smell it. It has dawned on me that I lost my sense of smell and taste(the latter I never had :D) since around Christmas so likely I had the pandemic pox(though no other symptoms). Odd I didn't notice it before, or rather didn't notice its disappearance. I'm not a foodie, I see food as fuel mostly. I noticed I couldn't taste the vinegar I put on salads. That was the start of noticing. It was a gradual loss I suppose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Tell me more about the cortado with condensed milk!

Cyrus wrote: »
    Tell me more about the cortado with condensed milk!

I got into the habit when I lived in the canaries.
    Late nights and early starts often meant that a kickstart coffee was needed.

It's 1/4 condensed milk and 3/4 strong espresso.
    Condensed milk 1st, layed on the bottom of a glass then the coffee shot drawn on top.

Stir and drink at your own pace.

I think it's also known as a Vietnamese coffee or a cafe bonbon too.

I used to do the whole Gagia thing and grind beans, and steam milk....it was a total faff, I did, every so often, make a great cup of coffee, the rest of the time I burnt it. That why the pod machines are handy, no mess, no fuss very consistent. When I worked inTown I used to go to this cart "coffee angel" near pearse street, best coffee ever, Cafe Napoli by Lincoln place is a close second.

I have had those Cortado's they are great, sweet enough. You haven't had a pick up till you have Cuban coffee. I got it in Miami its like a sludge and amazingly strong....I love strong coffee but this is like a cold shower for waking you up.

Wibbs sounds like you had it alright, same thing happened to me early last year, still not back properly, smell is 50% taste is altered a lot, which is a shame food is one of the great pleasures in life for me. Still I could win a chilly eating contest now no problem. Coffee tastes very different for me now, more bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

There is a cafe near me in Riyadh that does a coffee with condensed milk that I’m yet to try, but sounds delish, considering I’d quite happily drink condensed milk on it own before the espresso

C0N0R wrote: »
    There is a cafe near me in Riyadh that does a coffee with condensed milk that I’m yet to try, but sounds delish, considering I’d quite happily drink condensed milk on it own before the espresso

Do it, I promise you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Spending the evening looking through a thread I found on TZ-UK [Link]

Some of my favorite posts

Oceanographer Jacques Cousteau wearing an Omega Marine Chronometer

Jaqcues_Cousteau_Omega_Marine_Chronometer.jpg

WW2 Luftwaffe pilot Erich Hartmann wearing a Hanhart

6a3798959d3072e4b6e6493e24a2903f.jpg

A Seiko 6139-6000 worn by french F1 driver Francois Cevert

seiko_cevert_6139600x_vintage_1589667700_ad54f5c9_progressive.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I got into the habit when I lived in the canaries.
    Late nights and early starts often meant that a kickstart coffee was needed.

It's 1/4 condensed milk and 3/4 strong espresso.
    Condensed milk 1st, layed on the bottom of a glass then the coffee shot drawn on top.

Stir and drink at your own pace.

I think it's also known as a Vietnamese coffee or a cafe bonbon too.

Vietnamese coffee is amazing

Their basic coffee uses a coarse metal strainer, simple but effective

Egg coffee (using egg yolks and condensed milk) is a breakfast on its own.

I never got into the whole Gaggia craze although the machines look good - I prefer the Aeropress which is a much richer, less bitter taste than most filter coffee, once you get the water at the right temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

In our household we do "milk with coffee flavour" (introduced by MsThirdfox) - i.e. heat 500ml of milk in a microwave, add instant coffee and you can coffee tasting milk :P - blasphemy to true coffee lovers but it's a breakfast and gets some caffeine into the system too :D

Advertisement