Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money have you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

However much you have remember here's no pockets on your last suit.
    Fergal Quinn sold Superquinn for €420000000 but couldnt take it with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In fairness to FQ he shared his good fortune while he was alive.
    He was very good to his family and gave generously to charities including donating all his Senate salary to good causes.
    When in business he was an exemplary employer being very decent to work for and not always chasing the bottom line like some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I am 78 with 28 euro in my current account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

21 with €220 in my current and about €1000 in credit union but thats for holidays.

Im awful with money tbh and usually when I get paid on a thursday evening it's all gone by Sunday morning!

Living for the weekends and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Don't know how people intentionally follow the 'can't take it with you' mantra. I'd be a ball of stress knowing I had very little in the account.
    Don't know how that's an enjoyable existence at all.

Seems like poor decision making which is rarely isolated to a single part of life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

46 ... lovely wife. 4 children. No mortgage.
    But........ zero cash/money.
    Living month to month.

But I have wealth beyond measure......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Pac1Man wrote:
    Seems like poor decision making which is rarely isolated to a single part of life.

Years ago I worked in a pub, had a guy that used to come in on a Sunday, hour after lunch was served asking if anything was left over. After some time a meal was kept for him. Genuine and a nice guy. He lived in a 2 room cottage, galvanized roof no services. Died and left his nephew over 500k. He had a great life.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Don't know how people intentionally follow the 'can't take it with you' mantra. I'd be a ball of stress knowing I had very little in the account.
    Don't know how that's an enjoyable existence at all.

What are you saving up for? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Those who blow everything and save nothing are in my experience very entitled people, they expect either the state or someone close to them to rescue them financially, usually generous with other peoples money.

Irresponsible and selfish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

FFred wrote: »

No one knows what money they might need in old age. Relatively small amounts of money can be very significant when a person is no longer in a position to work and is relying on a pension. There is a major saving in stress in not having to worry when something goes wrong and a few euro is needed to put things right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Nothing in particular. I don't actively save, I just don't spend a lot. Just knowing there is a bit there if I need it removes a lot of stress. An unforeseen expense or losing my job wouldn't mean the end of the world.

That's what I'm 'paying' for, rather than scrolling through Amazon looking for something I don't need that will make no difference to my life.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    No one knows what money they might need in old age. Relatively small amounts of money can be very significant when a person is no longer in a position to work and is relying on a pension. There is a major saving in stress in not having to worry when somethings goes wrong and a few euro is needed to put things right.

Or more importantly, be a burden to others

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

cgcsb wrote: »
    You could buy your own home for circa €210,000 and live in it with lower mortgage repayments than your current rent.

This is probably one of the best reply's on this ,with 'that' balance op could easily have a v good deposit on a house ( if it was me .. rent a room or two ) but to add I won't mention what is in my A/C's .but I must say well done op if this is true because this money to alot op people is ALOT . keep up the saving !!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

57 years old. Paid the last of the mortgage in March, a kid with one year left in college and have about 50k sprinkled among half a dozen accounts. Earn approx 80k and wife earning 24k.
    Spent a fair bit on going out and holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Well my account would depress you.
    Separated with 2 kids.
    Live abroad where the salaries are worth less than toilet paper.
    Earn 1k a month.
    250 to the kids.
    250 on rent
    120e loan pay back and I'm being chased for school money which would leave me pretty much on 0.
    So that leaves me what 300e odd the day after I'm paid.
    Have 1.5k in "savings"..
    Life is grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I SPENT €100 ON SHAMPOO THE OTHER DAY, HOW THE FECK WOULD I HAVE MONEY!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Those who blow everything and save nothing are in my experience very entitled people, they expect either the state or someone close to them to rescue them financially, usually generous with other peoples money.

Irresponsible and selfish

I know they shouldn't enjoy their money and blow it because some people think they're selfish, it goes around and ends up somewhere.

If everyone was offended by your comment and tightened their belts the economy would be worse.

I don't think its fair to judge people who are happy out blowing their money, I blow mine and enjoy every moment of it.

Im not married my mortgage is 157 a month and living in a prime location, I could sell my 5 bed by July, buy a 2 bed refurbished b energy rated cottage and have loads left over for the rainy day, and hold onto my public sector job for the next 30 years.

I have security beyond measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

If people didn't spend money there wouldn't be any to make.

What I can't stand is people who cheat the welfare system and go on holodys twice a year etc etc..

My gf is on social but just got a 2nd letter this year asking for statements of all my accounts and payslips for the last month. My wages have increased by roughly a 5er a week sense the last one so they'll probably knock another 20 off her weekly payment.

How these people get away with it is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not a dole basher, I'm completely fine with people getting the social welfare they need.

• Site Banned Posts: 73 ✭✭Jimmy_oc1998

46 ... lovely wife. 4 children. No mortgage.
    But........ zero cash/money.
    Living month to month.

But I have wealth beyond measure......

You have more "money" than me so. Great going.

My money will be going into a house eventually.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Nothing in particular. I don't actively save, I just don't spend a lot. Just knowing there is a bit there if I need it removes a lot of stress. An unforeseen expense or losing my job wouldn't mean the end of the world.

That's what I'm 'paying' for, rather than scrolling through Amazon looking for something I don't need that will make no difference to my life.

I'm the same. It's not like I'm restricting myself of anything, I just like to get good value and don't like giving my money away easily on things that don't deserve it.

• Advertisement

pat k wrote: »
    This is probably one of the best reply's on this ,with 'that' balance op could easily have a v good deposit on a house ( if it was me .. rent a room or two ) but to add I won't mention what is in my A/C's .but I must say well done op if this is true because this money to alot op people is ALOT . keep up the saving !!

It has crossed my mind.

However, I am wary of the housing market right now. Prices CAN'T keep going up I believe.

nthclare wrote: »
    I know they shouldn't enjoy their money and blow it because some people think they're selfish, it goes around and ends up somewhere.

If everyone was offended by your comment and tightened their belts the economy would be worse.

I don't think its fair to judge people who are happy out blowing their money, I blow mine and enjoy every moment of it.

Im not married my mortgage is 157 a month and living in a prime location, I could sell my 5 bed by July, buy a 2 bed refurbished b energy rated cottage and have loads left over for the rainy day, and hold onto my public sector job for the next 30 years.

What age are you and how did you come into a 157 /month mortgage?

nthclare wrote: »

Was referring to those who splash the cash on frivolous products but then plead poverty and put the hand out to everyone else

What age are you and how did you come into a 157 /month mortgage?

44 I got inheritance in 2003, and needed another 30,000 to seal the deal so I applied to the bank and that's what they offered.

Im a lucky guy, I am one of those people who now says, life was better back in the day and all that.

Well in some ways it was easier

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Was referring to those who splash the cash on frivolous products but then plead poverty and put the hand out to everyone else

Sorry my apologies, I misread your post.
    It happens now and again.

I understand what you meant now, I know that type alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad_maxx wrote:

I'm still debating myself whether the banks should have been bailed out alright

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not nearly enough...

...actually, enough to get by and have frugal comforts and an annual holiday. I also own my apartment outright so I’m very fortunate on that front. I’m not a mad spender and try to be careful with money but living costs in Dublin are pretty horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

'All you need to know is you're not getting any'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

€5000 or so to bury yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

cgcsb wrote: »
    You keep a sum as large as €78k in a current account?

The bank must ring him once a month offering “financial advice.”

Advertisement