Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money have you?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    The bank must ring him once a month offering “financial advice.”

The bank are moving his money around left right and center.

They're making nice handsome interest that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

I'm living week to week at the moment with zero savings. I was a qualified tradesman but I took a chance during the recession and switched careers. I work in a legal and finance firm now in a junior position on very low wages. Things were going well until about two years ago when my health started to deteriorate. That put everything on hold, which means my ambitious masterplan hasn't worked out. Yet!

I'm in a long term relationship and we'll keep soldiering on, hopefully we'll 'get there' in the end. I'll tell you though, being unwell really focuses the mind. I've been feeling good lately and last weekend I even managed to go for a run with my dog. Tipping around the woods, listening to a podcast, the sun coming through the trees and my labrador's big ridiculous tongue bouncing around in his head. I felt absolutely great. If you guaranteed me that feeling every weekend for the rest of my life, instead of a big fat bank account, I'd take the arm off you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When I was 32 I had over 80 k in savings by doing jobs that paid a lot of OT and rents weren't that high where I was living so it's possible for someone like the OP to have that much money.

Built a house during the boom and it ate all of the 80 k but you can't bring the money with you and I'm still able to save a bit every week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Yermande wrote: »
    I'm living week to week at the moment with zero savings. I was a qualified tradesman but I took a chance during the recession and switched careers. I work in a legal and finance firm now in a junior position on very low wages. Things were going well until about two years ago when my health started to deteriorate. That put everything on hold, which means my ambitious masterplan hasn't worked out. Yet!

I'm in a long term relationship and we'll keep soldiering on, hopefully we'll 'get there' in the end. I'll tell you though, being unwell really focuses the mind. I've been feeling good lately and last weekend I even managed to go for a run with my dog. Tipping around the woods, listening to a podcast, the sun coming through the trees and my labrador's big ridiculous tongue bouncing around in his head. I felt absolutely great. If you guaranteed me that feeling every weekend for the rest of my life, instead of a big fat bank account, I'd take the arm off you

I have a long term health issue which has affected me both physically and mentally. It has stopped me doing the things I want to do and has changed my personality.
    I have about 80 k in the bank at 34 years of age .

I would pay every cent I have to swap my illness/injury

Health both physical and mental are the top prize
    Money in the bank is barely a consolation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

FFred wrote: »
    46 ... lovely wife. 4 children. No mortgage.
    But........ zero cash/money.
    Living month to month.

But I have wealth beyond measure......

Do you not worry about keeping the bills paid with no savings?

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Given that you can save 90k pa, you must be earning well in excess of 150k pa?

Not much more than that. I live in a very low tax country.
    I spend around 70k per year. This gives me and my family a very comfortable life with no deprivations. I invest around 90k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Why would it rile people?

I asked because people are always making out they're scraping by. Even my friends the same age and salary as me, they go on their one holiday a year or whatever and don't seem to be spending insane money on anything.

I could spend 6k a year on holidays, cars or high tech gadgets and I'd still have over 14k a year surplus.
    Ah you know it's a relatively high amount of money when you're quite young and not on a high salary. One of the personal finance forums would be a better place to post if you're looking for advice.

Cash rich and asset poor is probably not the way to do it to sustain the value of your money, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Candie wrote: »
    Cash rich and asset poor is probably not the way to do it to sustain the value of your money, OP.

Won't end up losing it all for nothing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm worth about a million dead, considerably less while breathing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

nthclare wrote: »
    The bank are moving his money around left right and center.

They're making nice handsome interest that's for sure.

The banks don't want deposits. They have to pay the ECB to hold them. There is no money being made by banks on the balances in accounts.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The banks don't want deposits. They have to pay the ECB to hold them. There is no money being made by banks on the balances in accounts.

Eh no. Banks have rules about how much they can lend. It's 1000% of deposits usually.

The logic is they only need a tenth of the money in cash because a bank run is unlikely.

Eh no. Banks have rules about how much they can lend. It's 1000% of deposits usually.

The logic is they only need a tenth of the money in cash because a bank run is unlikely.

They have to pay the ECB for the deposits they lodge. They have enough in the current accounts as is. there is not much they can do with it. Certainly not obtain interest on it.

They have to pay the ECB for the deposits they lodge. They have enough in the current accounts as is. there is not much they can do with it. Certainly not obtain interest on it.

Are you telling me that banks don't want our money?

Can you point to a bank that doesn't offer term deposits? Cause if they do, they want your money, as if allows them to lend more.

Are you telling me that banks don't want our money?

Can you point to a bank that doesn't offer term deposits? Cause if they do, they want your money, as if allows them to lend more.

The banks offer term deposits at pitifully low interest rates. They already have enough money to lend. They would be quite happy for people who are not turning over 100k a year closing their accounts and going to the Post Office or Credit Union.

The banks offer term deposits at pitifully low interest rates. They already have enough money to lend. They would be quite happy for people who are not turning over 100k a year closing their accounts and going to the Post Office or Credit Union.

This is honestly bizarre.

You seem to be arguing that banks that literally incentive saving in order to lend 10x that amount would rather they didn't incentivise saving.

Bank of Ireland's website says the current average loan APR is 6.8%. That means the banks can make 68% (not this number but I'm too lazy to work it out. Probably 55% or something) interest on your money. I highly doubt the fee is higher than that.

You seem to be arguing that banks that literally incentive saving in order to lend 10x that amount would rather they didn't incentivise saving.

Bank of Ireland's website says the current average loan APR is 6.8%. That means the banks can make 68% (not this number but I'm too lazy to work it out. Probably 55% or something) interest on your money. I highly doubt the fee is higher than that.

The banks don't want small deposits. They are charging for holding big deposits.
    The banks are risk averse in Ireland. they have to reduce their percentage exposure to property. Unless you are buying a BMW on a PCP, or are turning over 100k the banks don't want to know you in present day Ireland.

Won't end up losing it all for nothing though.

Burying the talent in the ground! The way to have money is to turn your capital into income and your income into capital.

The banks don't want small deposits. They are charging for holding big deposits.
    The banks are risk averse in Ireland. they have to reduce their percentage exposure to property. Unless you are buying a BMW on a PCP, or are turning over 100k the banks don't want to know you in present day Ireland.

I'm not really following and it's 1am where I am so it's even harder.

Can't be bothered but I'll check tomorrow and see if you've elaborated more with other posters.

I'm not really following and it's 1am where I am so it's even harder.

Can't be bothered but I'll check tomorrow and see if you've elaborated more with other posters.

That explains things. You are not in Ireland. The banks here are unrecognizable from what they were 11 years ago, physically and customer service and attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The net interest margin earned by Irish banks is typically 1.5 - 2.5%.

Advertisement