Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money have you?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 73 ✭✭Jimmy_oc1998

Keeping the revenue guys a small bit in the dark does no harm either.

All my earnings have been through PAYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If you want to tell yourself that I'm lying that's fine. But facts are facts.

What good is €78k in the bank?

Go out and spend it on coke and hookers and then come back and tell us how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Why is it so unbelievable to some that a 28 yr old could have 80k in the bank?

It'd be rare for a 28 year old to have that much cash on hand, but it's not that unbelievable. It's the 21k in a year (technically possible, but would be very tough) coupled with the newness of the OP's account that's probably got people suspicious.

I don't see the point in people making such a big deal of insisting it's fake tho, it's just a meaningless internet post that, fake or not, has no actual impact on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'm still worried about how the thread title is phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Jaysis lads, lay off old Jimmy... poor son of a bitch is only looking for a bit of advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

As an aside, a guy recently asked me to convert €8000 in fivers into bigger notes, 20's & 50's. He gave me €1200 for doing so. No questions were asked and everyone was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

As an aside, a guy recently asked me to convert €8000 in fivers into bigger notes, 20's & 50's. He gave me €1200 for doing so. No questions were asked and everyone was happy.

Be careful, you could get done for money laundering.

There's reams of new legislation on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I have no reason to believe that the money was not legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Why didn't he go to a bank then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think there's a fiver under the front seat of my car? I rarely carry money on me any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you got 15 percent to just turn it into different notes, the laundrette was open for business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

What sad and pathetic lives we endure, scratching out an existence in the dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

How much money have you?

Not so little that it causes worry about paying bills and looking after the family.
    Not so much that it causes worry about what to do with it, what it's making, how it's invested.
    All in all I'd say, just enough to not be worried about it.

I'm comfortable. I'm not an extravagant person and I'm sensible.

OP, living miserably to have numbers in the bank isn't wise. You're only young once. Save for the future but enjoy the present too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

At the moment just over four grand in savings in my Credit Union account and save there(Have a bank account but thats for getting paid and buying online) and i put a €100 a week into that savings. I am planning on buying a car in a couple of months so it won't last long but i am addicted to saving and have done for years. It's just me so no one else to care for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Not even enough money to cover my funeral, something that I unfortunately need to start saving for. Not an expense I expected in early adulthood. I have about half the amount I’ll need. It’s hard to save for though - hmmm... should I go on holiday or save up for a hole in the ground and a large box? Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Not even enough money to cover my funeral, something that I unfortunately need to start saving for. Not an expense I expected in early adulthood. I have about half the amount I’ll need. It’s hard to save for though - hmmm... should I go on holiday or save up for a hole in the ground and a large box? Decisions, decisions.

I think if you have an amount in the credit union they give money to your next of kin on death to cover just that. Be worth checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Why is it so unbelievable to some that a 28 yr old could have 80k in the bank?

It's not.

I had similar amounts, although I had been gifted substantial sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bells of shandon

Never worry about funeral expenses, They will bury you for your smell alone. The Corporation Sanitary Dept takes care of such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

About 25k saved over the last 3 years since finished college and started working. I don't have any expensive hobbies and paid cash for my car to avoid getting a loan. I try to save 1250 euro a month, but some months I might have more outgoings etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why would you not have the "78k" in a bank? where would you put it, under your mattress for someone to rob. invest it in some scam where you end up loosing half it. keep it in the bank, then when you have enough, buy a house with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why would you not have the "78k" in a bank? where would you put it, under your mattress for someone to rob. invest it in some scam where you end up loosing half it. keep it in the bank, then when you have enough, buy a house with it.

Exactly. I see lots of folk on here seem to be making a thing of the fact it's 'sitting in a current account' or whatever. I have similar amounts and listen to the same thing but no one seems to be able to tell me where this magic hole is where I can just leave it and it doubles in 5 years.

Inflation reduces the purchasing power of your 78k as the years go by if it's in a current account and not accruing interest. Use a savings account instead like all sensible people. Having that much money in your current account is stupid for many reasons.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Inflation reduces the purchasing power of your 78k as the years go by if it's in a current account and not accruing interest. Use a savings account instead like all sensible people. Having that much money in your current account is stupid for many reasons.

no point having it in a savings account if you might need it at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

At this moment in time I've 52 euro in one account and I'm gone 5600 into my 6000 euro overdraft in my other account, self employed and working like a dog since the start of the new year and seemingly nothing to show for it, a few Bob to come in in the next couple of weeks so I'll be alright until the next hiccup comes along to **** up the dream

Exactly. I see lots of folk on here seem to be making a thing of the fact it's 'sitting in a current account' or whatever. I have similar amounts and listen to the same thing but no one seems to be able to tell me where this magic hole is where I can just leave it and it doubles in 5 years.

a friend of mine was called into his bank during the celtic tiger to talk to a financial adviser, he was told he should invest his money. who do you recommend? ford are always a safe bet.

he didnt invest as he didnt trust the financial advisor, a few months later he hears on the radio, ford are in big trouble and loosing money. dont ever trust anyone working for a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Because everyone I know who's on decent wage acts like they're just making ends meat. You always hear people "oh I can't wait until payday" or "it's been so long since we've been paid".

So I was wondering what peoples situation is like.

This is just something people say to make conversation. I say it all the time and I have plenty of savings.

no point having it in a savings account if you might need it at any time.

The money is still accessible if I give a few days notice, but ive no intention of touching it for a few years yet. I can't imagine what sort of situation id end up in where that would't be ok to be honest. I add more to the savings every time I get paid and I keep enough in my current account at all times to deal with unexpected expenses and if I'm really stuck I've a credit card with a big limit on it that I almost never use.

Seriously, don't keep all your money in your current account. Its losing value and if someone were to get your visa debit card or get access to your account some other way they could clean you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MadYaker wrote: »

Savings accounts offer way below inflation rate in terms of interest.

Chuck it into equities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

900 dollarydoos

Advertisement