Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcam thread (linkdumps, non-dash etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Isambard wrote: »
    Leaving aside the legalities, He would be on his Limiter and slowing to drop back and pull in behind isn't as easy as it sounds. If you've a blind spot with a car in it, there could well be another car behind that one. If a car foolishly sits alongside a truck like that in whatever lane, he's putting himself at risk and he's the one who needed to sort out the road positioning as the trucker possibly wasn't able to (due to that blind spot).

Really makes the decision to pull out into the overtaking lane in a busy scenario like this even more baffling, just a really mindless manoeuvre to overtake like that.

Theres a really good reason trucks are limited to the inner lanes of motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Really makes the decision to pull out into the overtaking lane in a busy scenario like this even more baffling, just a really mindless manoeuvre to overtake like that.

Theres a really good reason trucks are limited to the inner lanes of motorways.

the same would apply if he was legally in lane two and someone paced him on lane 1. I did say leaving aside the legalities.

Having got into this situation , there's little a trucker can do sometimes if the car driver inside him doesn't recognise the danger..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,882 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The car was traveling in the blind spot of the truck for what looks like a long time. Strange place to be driving, considering the road was clear ahead, seemed to be a choice to sit there, matching the trucks speed, as if it was cool to do so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The car was traveling in the blind spot of the truck for what looks like a long time. Strange place to be driving, considering the road was clear ahead, seemed to be a choice to sit there, matching the trucks speed, as if it was cool to do so.

Would that be deemed contributory negligence for insurance reasons?

liamog wrote: »
    Would that be deemed contributory negligence for insurance reasons?

Short answer - No.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    the same would apply if he was legally in lane two and someone paced him on lane 1. I did say leaving aside the legalities.

Having got into this situation , there's little a trucker can do sometimes if the car driver inside him doesn't recognise the danger..

Again the same point stands - why would a truck pull out to overtake a car when their speed is already matched to the car they are looking to overtake.

The piece in bold - there was plenty the truck driver could have done to anticipate the situation leaving aside legalities. Did he check his mirrors to see if he had safely overtaken the car? If he is checking his mirrors he would be able to see (or not see) the car and know its in his blind spot. He did after all pull out to overtake that person and should have checked that the maneouvre was completed. Ive driven plenty of 10 tonne trucks over the years and would never pull back into a lane until i was certain it was clear.

Its only a danger to be in the trucks blind spot if the driver is incompetent, and its no different to a car pulling across your lane also - personally i would never drive neck and neck with another vehicle full stop but that doesnt absolve all of the blame being on the truck driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭carfinder

You seem to have watched a different video to me - the car was making progress in lane 2 overtaking several vehicles in lane 1 so there is no justification for your assertion "Strange place to be driving, considering the road was clear ahead.." The rest of your post is nonsensical - "cool" indeed :rolleyes:

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Again the same point stands - why would a truck pull out to overtake a car when their speed is already matched to the car they are looking to overtake.

The piece in bold - there was plenty the truck driver could have done to anticipate the situation leaving aside legalities. Did he check his mirrors to see if he had safely overtaken the car? If he is checking his mirrors he would be able to see (or not see) the car and know its in his blind spot. He did after all pull out to overtake that person and should have checked that the maneouvre was completed. Ive driven plenty of 10 tonne trucks over the years and would never pull back into a lane until i was certain it was clear.

Its only a danger to be in the trucks blind spot if the driver is incompetent, and its no different to a car pulling across your lane also - personally i would never drive neck and neck with another vehicle full stop but that doesnt absolve all of the blame being on the truck driver.
    I'm not trying to absolve the trucker from blame, just pointing out what happens, in general terms.
    Real life experience tells me there are plenty of drivers who would speed up if a truck (or anyone else) went to overtake them and even some who would deliberately position themselves to stop a truck pulling back in (not necessarily talking about the car in the video)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

inforfun wrote: »

Jaysus that second one is a psycho! And all the cams on the car!
    And as for Rickey & Cindy, to busy watching the mutter in the Aston and they hit the accelerator instead of the brakes.
    Of course they had to be followed by Rockey and Bullwinkle :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

anyone blaming the car in the m50 crash is an idiot , end of story .
    the truckers is 100% at fault .

' be aware this , should not be in blind spot that . '

**** off away out of it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

anyone blaming the car in the m50 crash is an idiot , end of story .
    the truckers is 100% at fault .

' be aware this , should not be in blind spot that . '

**** off away out of it

Simple question, if you were driving in that situation with your family in the car would you stay in the trucks blind spot for that long?

I wouldn't, but I prefer to avoid an incident than be correct. I apply the same logic when on a bike, I avoid cycling up the inside of large moving vehicles when approaching junctions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

anyone blaming the car..

Not blaming anyone but if that’s me driving in my car I’m not sitting beside a truck like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i wouldnt sit there , agreed- i avoid trucks like the plague , coming from my cycling days
    and yes we should all be aware and take care of our selves

but some drivers are not as savvy, and many would not expect an artic at their right side
    the artic driver should not have been in the lane , this is one of the main reasons this occured.
    and is fully at fault .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Vic_08 wrote: »

Well that didn’t go well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Well that didn’t go well :D

I dunno, aggressive undertaker takes out incompetent hazard light merger.

Appears to be a "win:win" for cammer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,386 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Comments are hilarious

Basically learner driver with different wheels on the back to do the old skid thing

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Looks like all the reject videos - is it April 1st down under...

Bridge strike prick, even with the barrier just look at how much movement there is on the bridge.

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/8098327_70ff9a4a

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/8096473_87d94c4b

I won't be keeping my eye on 11foot8.com

Bridge strike prick, even with the barrier just look at how much movement there is on the bridge.

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/8098327_70ff9a4a

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/8096473_87d94c4b

i didnt see the bridge itself move, only the footwalk alongside it, some dummy though

How not to attempt an overtake.

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/8098311_953d6a07

How not to attempt an overtake.

https://www.dumpert.nl/item/8098311_953d6a07

Panic...brakes locked up solid, no steering or control.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

https://v.redd.it/uxjapzk9l8t61

Advertisement