Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,003 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    There was a poll in the Belfast Telegraph in February which had 52% in favour of staying in the UK, 29% in favour of a UI and 19% declined to comment or were undecided.
    I'd like to see two polls done. First giving three options with the third being an independent NI. I'd like a second poll asking if people would be agreeable to an independent NI ahead of the other option they don't want.
    I think the results of those would educate the public greatly.
    I honestly don't think anybody here really has a good idea of what the majority of Northern Irish people want, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

eagle eye wrote: »
    There was a poll in the Belfast Telegraph in February which had 52% in favour of staying in the UK, 29% in favour of a UI and 19% declined to comment or were undecided.
    I'd like to see two polls done. First giving three options with the third being an independent NI. I'd like a second poll asking if people would be agreeable to an independent NI ahead of the other option they don't want.
    I honestly don't think anybody here really has a good idea of what the majority of Northern Irish people want, myself included.

I don’t know, that why I never commented on it

What I said was the people of Republic of Ireland will not want Northern Ireland becaus it will just mean another tax to pay. It will cost billions and the people of the North won’t be able to pay for it so it will have to come out of the people of Rep of Ireland pay.....

15-20 years
    Fascinating.

You make the British out to be infinitely worse than the Nazis, too much sun on the old head dear boy :)

Nowhere have i mentioned nazis

The fact,you wish to kill the discussion by dragging that way,is all on you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

Here is another poll by Lucid Talk from February this year:

46.8% staying in UK
    45.4% for a UI.
    7.8% Don't know.

https://thedetail.tv/articles/a-majority-favour-a-border-poll-on-the-island-of-ireland-in-the-next-10-years

20-30 years
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I don’t know, that why I never commented on it

What I said was the people of Republic of Ireland will not want Northern Ireland becaus it will just mean another tax to pay. It will cost billions and the people of the North won’t be able to pay for it so it will have to come out of the people of Rep of Ireland pay.....

Poll from earlier this year on a UK in ROI.
    73.1% Yes to UI

10.2% Yes to remaining part of UK
    16.7% Don't know.
    https://thedetail.tv/articles/a-majority-favour-a-border-poll-on-the-island-of-ireland-in-the-next-10-years

Have you any polls to support your theory or is this a similar theory to how Mary Lou could not possibly have been influenced by the hungar strikes as a 12 year old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    jm08 wrote: »
    73.1% Yes to UI

16.7% Don't know.

Have you any polls to support your theory or is this a similar theory to how Mary Lou could not possibly have been influenced by the hungar strikes as a 12 year old?

I just looked at the link you provided and it says 46.8%want to remain and 45.4% in favour of a UI-or am I reading it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

73.1% Yes to UI

16.7% Don't know.

I never said I had a poll, do polls put any option in them?

Like yes you can have a unified ireland but your take home pay is reduced 50 euro a week?

Or you can have a unified ireland but your social is down 50 a month etc?

That’s the only poll that would be if interested, I said I want a unified ireland, I would love one. But I’m not taking a hit in my wages to fix the mess Sinn Fein and DUP are making in North and seem to have no intention of trying to fix......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    I don't like you or your Republican politics.

Hilarious coming from a British Empire fetishist who overlooks the sordid history of the British state in Ireland, and around the world, with its millions of victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,189 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd like to see two polls done. .

The polls have been done. The fact you don't like that one of the things agreed upon is likely to happen is immaterial.

If you want to change the GFA, then work away at finding political representation to achieve that. Then you'll need another referendum to change the GFA terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I just looked at the link you provided and it says 46.8%want to remain and 45.4% in favour of a UI-or am I reading it wrong?

Oh it’s Rob who disappears when facts that States can commit acts of terrorism in their own country are put to him.

• Advertisement

20-30 years

No, you are reading it right.

As as usual, the 'undecideds' will make the decision in the end.

10-15 years
    Oh it’s Rob who disappears when facts that States can commit acts of terrorism in their own country are put to him.

I was asked my opinion of sands which I gave-how you and your pals can defend people like that is astonishing.`He only had a revolver`does`nt cut it.
    I`m British and don`t see Britain,it`s armed forces or police as wrong to protect the public from terrorists and those views are`nt considered extreme or controversial here in the UK.

20-30 years
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I never said I had a poll, do polls put any option in them?

Like yes you can have a unified ireland but your take home pay is reduced 50 euro a week?

Or you can have a unified ireland but your social is down 50 a month etc?

That’s the only poll that would be if interested, I said I want a unified ireland, I would love one. But I’m not taking a hit in my wages to fix the mess Sinn Fein and DUP are making in North and seem to have no intention of trying to fix......

I know you never said you had a poll - thats why I was asking you if you actually had any evidence to back up your theory.

edit: Since no one knows what it will cost, perhaps it would be a good idea to look into it so that people can make an informed decision.

20-30 years
    I was asked my opinion of sands which I gave-how you and your pals can defend people like that is astonishing.`He only had a revolver`does`nt cut it.
    I`m British and don`t see Britain,it`s armed forces or police as wrong to protect the public from terrorists and those views are`nt considered extreme or controversial here in the UK.

And do you stand over the treatment of catholics like Sands at the hand of the British State? What do you think of what happened to the Bermingham Six, Guildford Four? What do you think of British Human Rights Records? Are you proud of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    There are many street names in French cities named after Bobby Sands. There was support in many countries of Europe, i.e.: Germany, Italy, Belgium and in North America. The European Court of Human Rights also negotiated with British authorities for a solution to the hunger strikes.

Who invented, created & carried out the hunger strikes? Clue, it wasn't those nasty British people.

A very sad chapter, orchestrated by some very grim people, who used people like Sands as pawns in a dirty filthy game of poker to the death.

There were no winners, just losers. Lots of losers in a vile atmosphere created by SF/IRA.

Shame on Adams & his comrades for manufacturing & making the hunger strikes happen. Poor Sands & the others were used.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,495 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Why was he a terrorist? His charge was possession of a weapon. 14 years for possession of a revolver!

Was he not also a thief?

10-15 years
    And do you stand over the treatment of catholics like Sands at the hand of the British State? What do you think of what happened to the Bermingham Six, Guildford Four? What do you think of British Human Rights Records? Are you proud of those?

What do you think of those who did the Birmingham bombing and let innocent men take the blame?Do you admire them?

Hilarious coming from a British Empire fetishist who overlooks the sordid history of the British state in Ireland, and around the world, with its millions of victims.

You are in an awful mess, totally inept, inaccurate and blind as to where my sympathies lie. Nowhere did I praise the British Empire, so why are you saying that :rolleyes:

If you said I was a FG supporter you'd be correct, if you said I admired John Bruton you'd be correct too, I also like Varadkar. I am an Irishman who doesn't support Sinn Fein or the past actions of the Republican movement in Northern Ireland. I have great admiration for the SDLP, John Hume & Seamus Mallon in particular.

So you can attack me accordingly......

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Was he not also a thief?

No. In fact, Sands was treated far worse by his protestant neighbours than Willie Frazer apparently was treated by his catholic neighbours and Frazer ending up being implicated in about 70 murders by supplying guns to his loyalist paramilitaries, yet you feel sympathy for Frazer.

Just a little summary of Sands childhood.

After experiencing harassment and intimidation from their neighbours, the family abandoned the development and moved in with friends for six months before being granted housing in the nearby Rathcoole development. Rathcoole was 30% Catholic and featured Catholic schools as well as a nominally Catholic but religiously mixed, youth football club, an unusual circumstance in Northern Ireland, known as Stella Maris, the same as the school Sands attended and where the training was held. Sands was a member of this club and played left-back.[10][11] There was another youth club in nearby Greencastle called Star of the Sea and many boys went there when the Stella Maris club closed.
    By 1966, sectarian violence in Rathcoole, along with the rest of Belfast, had considerably worsened, and the minority Catholic population there found itself under siege. Despite always having had Protestant friends, Sands suddenly found that none of them would even speak to him, and he quickly learned to associate only with Catholics.[10]

He left school in 1969 at age 15, and enrolled in Newtownabbey Technical College, beginning an apprenticeship as a coach builder at Alexander's Coach Works in 1970. He worked there for less than a year, enduring constant harassment from his Protestant co-workers, which according to several co-workers he ignored completely, as he wished to learn a meaningful trade.[10] He was eventually confronted after leaving his shift in January 1971 by a number of his coworkers wearing the armbands of the local Ulster loyalist tartan gang. He was held at gunpoint and told that Alexander's was off-limits to "Fenian scum" and to never come back if he valued his life. He later said that this event was the point at which he decided that militancy was the only solution.[12][13]
    In June 1972, Sands's parents' home was attacked and damaged by a loyalist mob and they were again forced to move, this time to the West Belfast Catholic area of Twinbrook, where Sands, now thoroughly embittered, rejoined them. He attended his first Provisional IRA meeting in Twinbrook that month and joined the IRA the same day. He was 18 years old. By 1973, almost every Catholic family had been driven out of Rathcoole by violence and intimidation, although there were some who remained.

I asked you was British forces driving into Croke park and shooting players and spectators an act of terrorism? Nothing to do with sands.

You were making a rather strange point that official armies can’t commit terrorism in their own state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As a general point about nationality.
    I have to laugh about how recent the concept of Irish nationally actually was.
    It was only mentioned with the chat about Red Hugh O'Donnell's remains on the news this morning.

Before 1603 Ireland was just a collection of tribes - disjointed
    But yet history is spun towards a modern republican narrative instead.
    No one calls Brian Boru an invader (about five centuries prior) who invaded the other kingdoms in Ireland. In republican mythology Boru is seen as a 'true gael'. I doubt a unification of Boru's conquests were done with just a firm handshake, and he was just given the High King of Ireland title!.

--

Today it is as follows.
    It all comes down to whether a NI in the UK but outside the EU is worth more for the unionists as is.
    And if they view it as worth fighting for against the ROI.

Personally I think things should be left alone as the six counties are not worth the hassle, money, or lives. Feck ideology leave well enough alone.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You are in an awful mess, totally inept, inaccurate and blind as to where my sympathies lie. Nowhere did I praise the British Empire, so why are you saying that :rolleyes:

If you said I was a FG supporter you'd be correct, if you said I admired John Bruton you'd be correct too, I also like Varadkar. I am an Irishman who doesn't support Sinn Fein or the past actions of the Republican movement in Northern Ireland. I have great admiration for the SDLP, John Hume & Seamus Mallon in particular.

So you can attack me accordingly......

Leo has a picture of Michael Collins up on his wall behind him.

Michael Collins died in 1922, he wasn't in the Provos.

10-15 years
    I asked you was British forces driving into Croke park and shooting players and spectators an act of terrorism? Nothing to do with sands.

You were making a rather strange point that official armies can’t commit terrorism in their own state.

They were trying to capture and bring to justice the assassination squads who had murdered soldiers,police and civilians in Dublin.

Leo has a picture of Michael Collins up on his wall behind him.

Collins has been described as:

"The fine-looking, stalwart, gay young man,
    with the breezy manner and broad grin,
    who was on familiar terms with all kinds
    and conditions of men"

(Beaslai, Michael Collins, vol. II, p. 76.)

:D

Michael Collins died in 1922, he wasn't in the Provos.

He just perfected guerrilla warfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,189 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They were trying to capture and bring to justice the assassination squads who had murdered soldiers,police and civilians in Dublin.

By opening fire randomly on a crowd of people at a match.

Oh right so you drive into a football match and shoot at everyone including children? You think that was ok?

By opening fire randomly on a crowd of people at a match.

The mind boggles.

• Advertisement

Oh right so you drive into a football match and shoot at everyone including children? You think that was ok?

I am just curious is your 'Irishness' based on the hatred of the British?
    You speak English as your first language, and clearly follow Munster rugby judging by your username.
    A sport created by the English!
    I think it is gas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement