Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 2 "A Knight of the 7" - Spoilers post 2 fo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Reckon that Davos has a big part to play. Too much made of his lack of fighting skills.

I think Gendry has a big part to play. After all that rowing, he’s getting plenty of screen time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I have no issues with people not enjoying that episode though I'd disagree with them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and whatever process got them there is their business.

But when some people say it's the worst episode ever in the series, I know they're talking utter sh¡te and are either looking for a reaction or are unquestionably unable to recognise or judge good television. Its idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

My feelings on last night's episode are similar to my thoughts on the show as a whole. Even at its worse it's head and shoulders above the competition.

Medieval fantasy, for all its familiarity, is rarely done well. But Game of Thrones has picked up where Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy left off in terms of smashing down genre snobbery. There's definitely a before Peter Jackson and an after Peter Jackson when it comes to the cinematic treatment of fantasy. Game of Thrones is continuing that good work and, as a fantasy nerd, it will always remain close to my heart for that reason.

However, and it's a big however, it's simply a hot mess at times. The acting is quite often very poor indeed. It also suffers from severe pacing problems which the writers have exacerbated by treating Westeros as big as Britain or as small as the Isle of Man, depending on their needs.

It has also always felt hamstrung by its episodic nature. It's been punctuated by some outstanding set pieces but the general feeling has been of a story always trying to get off the ground. That can be positive if tension is constantly being built but it often falls flat and the tension is distractedly released elsewhere

Last night's episode was a perfect example of that. All of these characters, many of them ostensibly rivals. The potential power battle between Jon and Dany. It was all there on screen. Yet we're treated to yet another bare arse and Ser Davos' stale dialogue ("I think I'll have that drink"). I mean seriously, it's just awful.

I think the show's greatest legacy will be in having further kicked down the doors for premium fantasy adaptations at a time when long-form treatments are the vehicle of choice. I'm thinking of the upcoming BBC/HBO adaptation of His Dark Materials, for example. There's now the audience, appetite and budget to do these stories right, and all credit to Game of Thrones' role in making that happen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It makes sense here that some of the jokes are weak - the scene with Tormund and Ser Davos commenting about having a drink, is not meant to biting or witty. It's a group of people, with nothing in common but Winterfell's defence, sharing an awkward uneasy last few hours trying to get some small comfort. It shouldn't be sharp smart humour.

As to Arya - it's one of the few times a woman has been empowered in these situations and it's of course no coincidence that she's on top.

I quite liked the low-key revelation of Jon's parentage to Danny. I think a lot of that is down to the directing in the episode - we'll have the bombastic, adrenaline fulled, mega death action next week. This is a goodbye - surely seven seasons of a show deserve that?

Really not seeing how this is considered "garbage" writing. There's plenty of shows that do that. It lacks the political nuances and alliances of early seasons but, if we had that now, people would be moaning too. It has to force focus because otherwise we end up where George R. R. Martin is - in a complete block if you end up thinking too much on the logistics

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

Some of my favourite scenes from The Two Towers are the ones where the characters are waiting at Helm's Deep for the orc army to arrive. This whole episode felt like that. Great tension building and character interactions. Yes, the dialog could have been better but it is still excellent entertainment. I suspect a large number of the secondary characters and one or two of the main players will die next episode so it is good to see them all together before that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

I really liked this episode. Brienne is by far my favourite character in the show and I'll admit I had a tear in my eye when she finally got the recognition and acceptance she deserved.

I'm convinced she will die next episode now though :(

I feel like once the battle kicks off it is going to be a sprint to the end of the story so I quite appreciate these episodes as a goodbye to these characters. I will be sad when it is all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Does Jaime have a Valyrian steel sword? I don't suppose he'll re-earn the nickname "KingSlayer" by slicing the Night King in two before the end of the series?

The Knighting of Brienne, that was possibly the most moving scene in the entire series for me. It was just perfect, and the whole episode wasn't far off that for my viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Does Jaime have a Valyrian steel sword? I don't suppose he'll re-earn the nickname "KingSlayer" by slicing the Night King in two before the end of the series?

Yeah his sword, Widow's Wail is Valyrian. That and Oathkeeper (Briennes) sword which Jamie gave her) were made from Ned Stark's Sword, Ice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Jaysus when will the scraps start!! C'mon ta F**k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Worth a watch if you have watched episode 2

https://youtu.be/dcqrNXKv628

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah his sword, Widow's Wail is Valyrian. That and Oathkeeper (Briennes) sword which Jamie gave her) were made from Ned Stark's Sword, Ice

I thought Widow's Wail was Jodfrey's and it's current location was unknown?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That was delightful. Glad we got to spend time with these characters before everything goes to sh1t next week. I was practically cheering when Brienne was knighted. A great build up of tension throughout too. Really set things up for next week wonderfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

seligehgit wrote: »
    I thought Widow's Wail was Jodfrey's and it's current location was unknown?
    It was originally Joffrey's but Jamie took it last Season
    Widow’s Wail was passed down to Tommen, but Tommen never took the weapon. In Season 7, Jaime began wearing Widow’s Wail after he returned from the Riverlands. Olenna even noticed Jaime wearing the sword and asked if he was going to kill her with it. Jaime tells her the sword is Widow’s Wail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Well considering they have difficulty breaking through a wooden door, they shouldn't be able to burst out of a tomb. But the way things are going, I'm sure that wont matter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I really want to see how Bran is getting about in that wheelchair.

He was in a foot of snow at one point, then indoors refusing help from Tyrion in what one can safely assume is not an accessible building.

We really should have seen it by now, what is he going to do when the Night King comes for him?

Hope the battery hasn't died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Was the wall not built with magic so the wights could not pass through .
    Wasn't that the reason Jon's uncle couldn't go with him when he rescued Jon from the wights in season 7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Roar wrote: »
    That was delightful. Glad we got to spend time with these characters before everything goes to sh1t next week. I was practically cheering when Brienne was knighted. A great build up of tension throughout too. Really set things up for next week wonderfully.

Yeah, it was a nice catch up before all our beloved characters get chewed on.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

This thread sums up exactly the ****ing **** show Boards is. On every other Game of thrones forum online im sure the fans of the show are talking about theory's and what they think will happen etc etc.

On Boards.ie as with every other thread on here it has to be one side vs the other even when there's a common ground.

**** sake.

On Boards.ie as with every other thread on here it has to be one side vs the other even when there's a common ground.

That comment is sure to help matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I can't believe this but my first though was there is still a
    virgin
    in the main cast (Bran excluded). Absolutely way better episode then last week and hope next week lives up to what they are setting up
    Making Brieanna a knight was nice you could see how proud it made her feel

All the conversations were great well the one between Dany & Jon was rushed but I see why they made it that way.
    The scene between Sansa & Dany also was good and brought up what I think will be the ending of the show that there will be no more 7 kingdoms

I am not trusting Bran and it will go badly

Jamie & Tyrion scenes are always good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Danny will go the route of her power hungry father. Its clear to see the throne is all zhe cares about. Jamie questioning Tyrion about how much he trusts her etc etc.

When John told her, it was rushed but she had resentment in her eyes. She was annoyed.

As she said to Sansa all she wanted was the throne. Her little story about coming here for Jon is Bollix,shes there because if she doesnt help, there is nothing to rule.

I think a stark ends up killing her, possibly even Jon when she literally tries to take him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Jamie os going to last this to the end, it'll be between himself thormund to do something in the battle to help brienne.

Jamie's redemption story as been one off the best.

Think he'll last as a new hand of the king

Thought it was a brilliant episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Jamie os going to last this to the end, it'll be between himself thormund to do something in the battle to help brienne.

Jamie's redemption story as been one off the best.

Think he'll last as a new hand of the king

Always thought he will die either defending Brienna or Tyrion or going after Cersie (Both kill each other)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

That comment is sure to help matters
    I dont think theres a man or woman alive that can ''help'' this place change :pac:

An excellent episode I thought. I laughed and almost cried. The part where they were sitting around the fire was just wonderful. I felt such affection for these characters! Tormund and is milk, his glances at Brienne, her and Jaime and the connection between them, Tyrion filling Pod's cup. The knighting scene was my favourite. They love each other I think those too. Maybe not a romantic love but something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It was all set up, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. A few good laughs and heartfelt moments, with the knowledge its the second last time we'll see a few of these characters. Couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tbh that was an excellent episode...it's ramping up nicely to the battle. You know that anyone is in the firing line, hell everyone could die and the last three episode could turn out to be night king the musical 😁

If you didn't enjoy that episode, I'm not sure game of thrones is for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Wonder purpose of bran and Tyrion cosy chat

Advertisement